Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 23rd of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W11 D4 L10

Liverpool in advanced talks with Steven Gerrard over role at LFC academy.

Read 10889 times
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,919 posts | 4984 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Re: Liverpool in advanced talks with Steven Gerrard over role at LFC academy.
      Reply #46: Nov 18, 2016 08:26:02 pm
      I agree with most things you said there Billy except the bit in bold.

Heighway has been brought in to mentor the kids, not to oversee things, that's Inglethorpes job. 

He's mentoring them to make them realise how tough the journey is, the hard knocks they'll get all along the way.  To prepare them for life as a pro footballer at whatever level they end up at.  To understand the sacrifices they'll have to make during those crucial pre teen and teenage years.  To give them some tough love, not pander to them like some have been.  To some extent to see who has the mentality to make it at Liverpool early enough to either fast track or release them.  I don't think he's even doing any coaching as such.

Stevie would probably learn a lot from that type of man management as he had it himself as a kid from the man himself, whereas todays youth are "coached" to the next level and hope their talent is enough to get them through.  Todays youth coaches don't use that type of mentoring, they don't "teach" failure so he won't learn that on the myriad of UEFA badges he'll have to go through and he won't have covered it on those he's already done.

I agree he'll probably jump at the chance to help develop the next generation and who better for him to learn from than the man who brought him through using the same methods.

I guess it'll all depend on the role he's offered, how long he's prepared to learn for before moving on and how ambitious he is. 

Fairy muff mate, I bow to your superior knowledge, I just hope he is offered a role he believes will , not only be good for him but also that of our future , whatever it is Liverpool FC will be a richer club with him than without him .

YNWA

fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #47: Nov 18, 2016 09:30:36 pm
      Imagine if Michael Owen or Danny Murphy had come out saying how much they'd love to have played under Mourinho and that Rafa's 'facts' rant detailed Liverpool's title bid in 2009?

Legend or not it was a stupendously bullshit thing to say and an insult to the man who did so much for his career and status.

At least he said what he thought, it was his book like.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,185 posts | 1636 
      Reply #48: Nov 19, 2016 02:48:57 pm
      Been offered the job and will respond on Monday apparently.

Fair play to him if he takes it but I think it could be a little early.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #49: Nov 19, 2016 11:43:28 pm
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #50: Nov 19, 2016 11:56:26 pm
      At least he said what he thought, it was his book like.

And like I said, it calls into question his severe lack of judgement - Jose and Woy are great, while Rafa gets the brunt? To support those two major arseholes while lambasting Rafa is quite rightly going to stick in the throats of a large section of supporters.

Shortcomings like that that are certainly not conducive to good management.

The belief that Gerrard would not be good as a manager isn't actually a slight on the legendary status of him as a player you know. Anyone who thinks so is paranoid.
      « Last Edit: Nov 20, 2016 02:18:17 am by Son Of A Gun »
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #51: Nov 20, 2016 06:43:47 am
      And like I said, it calls into question his severe lack of judgement - Jose and Woy are great, while Rafa gets the brunt? To support those two major arseholes while lambasting Rafa is quite rightly going to stick in the throats of a large section of supporters.

Shortcomings like that that are certainly not conducive to good management.

The belief that Gerrard would not be good as a manager isn't actually a slight on the legendary status of him as a player you know. Anyone who thinks so is paranoid.

I still think the best bet for Stevie is to get the assistant job at the acadamy and learn the coaching and management jobs from Jürgen and his professional team.I still recall Bob Paisley running onto the pitch with a bucket and sponge as a trainer in the late 1950s and when he eventually was appointed manager in 1974 was an instant success
      .It did not hurt Bob to learn the job from the bottom and the same thinking should apply to Stevie Gerrard.
       Learn the managerial ropes first Stevie prior to jumping in at the deep end.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #52: Nov 20, 2016 11:27:04 am
      Interesting thread. I have a question.

For such a beloved player, there is still this...I think undercurrent is too strong a word....but there is some circle of opinion I've noticed far before I ever discovered this forum, that seems to snipe at Stevie. It's never quite defined what the problem is, but I see these inferences (more than direct statements) that there is something not quite right, not quite honorable, about him - and I don't understand what it is. The most direct things I can recall are the glee that some people seemed to take in the slip, including the exaggeration of that moment's role in the team not winning the title that year, and the guy who does the funny cartoons in The Guardian portraying him as something of an egomaniac.

He strikes me as pretty much a model citizen from a football playing perspective, and very dedicated to Liverpool. I know there was an incident in a nightclub many, many years ago but I think that was more about his mates wasn't it?

So what am I missing? What is the reason some people, even among Liverpool support apparently, seem to have this reservation about Gerrard?

By the way, agree with what Debs said about starting at the Academy being the right fit for Stevie, and also with SoG about not taking the MK Dons gig.

Even Rodgers distastefully threw Stevie under a bus when out it came about the slip and the title.
      Just once in an interview ... but once was enough for me.

Envy ..... its human nature . ..  and they dont come from Huyton ! ;D

Anyhow ...

Klopp and his team are here for 6 years until 2022.

Stevie is only 36 and being at Melwood is the perfect choice for him , to keep some Scouse DNA around the place and on the training field.
      Working with the Academy would be a perfect fit whilst he did his badges .
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,968 posts | 3052 
      Reply #53: Nov 20, 2016 11:46:01 am
      Even Rodgers distastefully threw Stevie under a bus when out it came about the slip and the title.
      Just once in an interview ... but once was enough for me.

That was especially poor.

Me, personally, I'm not sure how Stevie will turn out as a coach and truth be told........even he doesn't know.

Some of the autobiography stuff presented a significantly different view to my own - but that's the thing.........I'm a middle-aged man who's massively removed from the life he's led. I don't need to agree with his views to respect his right to state them........and enjoy the book revenues!

Let him learn his trade at the academy or even elsewhere and if he's good enough to offer the club something then great, if not he's still a legendary player and servant.

MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #54: Nov 20, 2016 01:11:32 pm
      Anyone in their 30's that likes Phil f**king Collins,should have their credibility questioned at all times. :action-smiley-035: And i wonder if there's any connection with him making records again and Gerrard coming back?

The man with the Wet Brain ?  That Phil Collins  ?   
      Hes shot mate .
      TonioLerouge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,170 posts | 59 
      Reply #55: Nov 20, 2016 03:23:46 pm
      I don't really get why people take the things Stevie said as such a big deal.

Looks clear that, like many players (some being far far more extreme, remember Benayoun and Riera) he had difficulties with the cold aspect of Rafa's personnality or his attitude with the media. It's just a question of personnalities, and for all his human qualities Rafa doesn't seem to have an easy one, making some players feel they "weren't liked", etc...
      And also that, like Carra, he had fondest memories of Houillier (logical affection for the man who trusted them first) and also believed, at a times most pundits were saying so, that Hodgson would be a good enough manager for lfc (remember the Hodge hysteria when he directed Fulham to uefa final).
      But he still labelled Rafa "the best tactical coach I worked with at Liverpool and England" in his autobiography, which shows that if their relations weren't perfect, his judgment isn't clouded by them.

Finally I don't think supporters, who have all reasons to be positive about Rafa, but have never worked under him or had any close contact, are in good positions to judge anything his players said. Main Gerrard complaint can be resumed by "he was cold with me/some others", I don't see why he must have hidden this if that was true, and it's really not like a big deal... The second one is "The facts rant derailed the season", may be false according to points tally after, but it's perfectly possible that, as individual(s), Gerrard (and/or other players ?) felt a too heavy pressure / they were perturbated after and had the feeling it negatively affected their performances, even if the results remained good.
      I may agree it was not a class act to have given the impression Rafa was responsible for the final failure (which wasn't really one by the way, but our best season in ages) with this critic, but look how Gerrard himself was treated after the slip, he's not the first or the last scapegoating someone for a collective (and not even real) "failure", to the point it's hard to find any footballer or manager who never gave the impression to do just that.
      « Last Edit: Nov 20, 2016 03:37:51 pm by TonioLerouge, Reason: I get the complaints, but the importance... »
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #56: Nov 21, 2016 11:14:10 am

but look how Gerrard himself was treated after the slip, he's not the first or the last scapegoating someone for a collective (and not even real) "failure",

It was the season  and not the slip .

It was the papering over the cracks with Luis and Daniel.

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #57: Nov 22, 2016 09:53:43 am
      Steven has kicked the MK Dons interest into touch saying he wants to coach at Anfield.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/steve-gerrard-eyeing-liverpool-coaching-9305978
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #58: Nov 22, 2016 10:53:51 am
      I don't really get why people take the things Stevie said as such a big deal.

Looks clear that, like many players (some being far far more extreme, remember Benayoun and Riera) he had difficulties with the cold aspect of Rafa's personnality or his attitude with the media. It's just a question of personnalities, and for all his human qualities Rafa doesn't seem to have an easy one, making some players feel they "weren't liked", etc...
      And also that, like Carra, he had fondest memories of Houillier (logical affection for the man who trusted them first) and also believed, at a times most pundits were saying so, that Hodgson would be a good enough manager for lfc (remember the Hodge hysteria when he directed Fulham to uefa final).
      But he still labelled Rafa "the best tactical coach I worked with at Liverpool and England" in his autobiography, which shows that if their relations weren't perfect, his judgment isn't clouded by them.

Finally I don't think supporters, who have all reasons to be positive about Rafa, but have never worked under him or had any close contact, are in good positions to judge anything his players said. Main Gerrard complaint can be resumed by "he was cold with me/some others", I don't see why he must have hidden this if that was true, and it's really not like a big deal... The second one is "The facts rant derailed the season", may be false according to points tally after, but it's perfectly possible that, as individual(s), Gerrard (and/or other players ?) felt a too heavy pressure / they were perturbated after and had the feeling it negatively affected their performances, even if the results remained good.
      I may agree it was not a class act to have given the impression Rafa was responsible for the final failure (which wasn't really one by the way, but our best season in ages) with this critic, but look how Gerrard himself was treated after the slip, he's not the first or the last scapegoating someone for a collective (and not even real) "failure", to the point it's hard to find any footballer or manager who never gave the impression to do just that.

A lengthy introspective examination of that ''slip'' which to be honest is forgotten about by the majority and of no consequence in the context of SG's future; coupled with a fair amount of negative hypothesis about the player himself and former managers.

Considering the waves of optimism flooding LFC right now and by association Steven Gerrard your doom and gloom contribution would be acceptable material on the shitecafe site all day long. 
      TonioLerouge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,170 posts | 59 
      Reply #59: Nov 23, 2016 02:16:34 am
      I don't see the link with current "optimism", I by the way share. I was just saying after having read complaints about those things SG said for a long time (ok it's far to be recent actuality) I never understood why (some) people considered what he said a big deal, as just everything looks perfectly understandable to me. Now if you consider negative to think people even legends are humans, who sometimes have affection for work relations, sometimes just see them as work relations, and eventually answer questions that shouldn't even have been asked (aka "why(o) the failure" when their club had an excellent season ; a bit like... supporters), and that's it's not a big deal, yes I must be. I'd add that if I happen to buy an autobiography I expect who writes it to be sincere and tell how he felt, not some official history made to be sure to please everyone, or absolute scientific truth (not that I'm especially fond of the footballers autobiography genre, that said).

Anyway back to topic, I'm happy Gerrard seem to have decided to come back in the academy role, but would have had no problem had he decided something else was better for him. So I don't feel very "pessimistic" or "negative" about anything Gerrard (or the club / Rafa / Klopp / even you btw).
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #60: Nov 24, 2016 03:23:47 am
      If klopp and his key staff believe there is a role that Steven can fill on the coaching side that won't detract or alter from the current structure or system then great.
      We have a great thing going at the moment. The boss and his team are in a long term contract and a fantastic foundation appears to have been made.
      If gerrard can add to that then fantastic.
      Any media or fan clamoring for him to be hired has to be resisted. We have to all, as fans be very aware of that.
      Personally, I can see huge benefits in him being given a position at the acedemy. Can see that being only a positive if he is made aware of how things are run now.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,475 posts | 4821 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #61: Dec 02, 2016 06:26:37 pm

Quick Reply