Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Steven Gerrard Announces Retirement

Read 9296 times
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Nov 24, 2016 11:52:45 am
      Steven Gerrard confirms retirement from football

Liverpool legend Steven Gerrard has officially announced his retirement from professional football.

The former Reds captain, who spent 17 years in the first team at Anfield and was the club’s skipper from 2003 until his departure in the summer of 2015, confirmed the decision on Thursday morning.

In a statement, he said: “Following recent media speculation surrounding my future I can confirm my retirement from playing professional football.

“I have had an incredible career and am thankful for each and every moment of my time at Liverpool, England and LA Galaxy.”

The Huyton-born midfielder graduated from Liverpool’s Academy and made his senior debut as a substitute against Blackburn Rovers in November 1998, ultimately clocking up 710 games and 186 goals.

Blessed with natural abilities that made him one of the leading midfielders of his generation, Gerrard was a key figure in the treble-winning season of 2000-01, aiding Gerard Houllier’s team to triumphs in the League Cup, FA Cup and UEFA Cup.

His influence steadily grew at Anfield and Houllier handed the Scouser the captain’s armband in October 2003, heralding the beginning of the most consistent and prolific era of his career.

Following the appointment of Rafael Benitez as manager, Gerrard was the talisman of Liverpool’s sensational run to Champions League glory in 2004-05.

A memorable strike against Olympiacos ensured the Reds progressed from the tournament’s group stage and kick-started a fairytale journey to the final in Istanbul.

There, his boyhood side trailed 3-0 to Italian giants AC Milan – but his determination was the catalyst behind an historic comeback, with his header the first of three responses that drew the tie level and paved the way for Benitez’s charges to win the trophy on penalties.

Gerrard was the inspiration behind the club’s 2006 FA Cup triumph, scoring twice in the final with West Ham United – which has subsequently been named after him – en route to another shootout success via a 3-3 draw.

He also helped Liverpool return to the Champions League showpiece in 2007, though on that occasion they were beaten by Milan, and claim a second-place finish in the 2008-09 Premier League.

The No.8 lifted the League Cup under the stewardship of Kenny Dalglish in 2012, and was appointed the captain of his country – for whom he amassed 114 caps before retiring from the international football in 2014.

That year, Gerrard come closest to winning the only domestic honour that eluded him, the Premier League, as the Reds produced a stunning charge to take the title race to the final day only to be pipped by Manchester City.

After bidding farewell to Anfield at the conclusion of the 2014-15 season, Gerrard joined LA Galaxy in Major League Soccer, where he played 34 games and scored five goals.

He said: “Thank you to the amazing fans of Liverpool, England and LA Galaxy for the incredible backing you have given me throughout my career. Your loyalty and support has meant the world.

“I am excited about the future and feel I still have a lot to offer the game, in whatever capacity that may be. I am currently taking my time to consider a number of options and will make an announcement with regards to the next stage of my career very soon.”

Feel so privileged to have watch him throughout the entirety of his career. What a player! I don't think 'thank you' are worthy words for the joy and excitement he has provided over the years to us fans. A number of the trophies we've won during his career wouldn't have happened without his constant contributions.

My favourite goal of his was this rocket...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IISJfDnOnJE

closely followed from that beauty against Olympiakos...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3l-sdU9d0E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcZG4VU0P8w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQd996AgaBI

« Last Edit: Nov 24, 2016 02:26:38 pm by JD »
      Munch101
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 495 posts | 80 
      Reply #1: Nov 24, 2016 11:58:35 am
      I know this should be in a player thread but I think it's important enough to get it's own thread!

Our captain fantastic has announced his retirement from playing and has decided against a move to Europe, China or Australia!

Definitely has to have a role at the club, i'd like to see him as Alex Inglethorpes assistant for a while and then taking charge of the Under 21's eventually.

Best player i've ever seen play CM, could do it all!

Thanks Stevie for the memories!

Former Liverpool and England captain Steven Gerrard has retired, ending a 19-year playing career.

Gerrard, 36, played 710 times for the Reds, winning eight major trophies, but joined MLS side LA Galaxy in 2015.

He is England's fourth most-capped player with 114 appearances and captained the side at three of the six major tournaments he played at.

"I feel lucky to have experienced so many wonderful highlights over the course of my career," said Gerrard.

"I have had an incredible career and am thankful for each and every moment of my time at Liverpool, England and LA Galaxy.

"As a teenager I fulfilled my childhood dream by pulling on the famous red shirt of Liverpool, and when I made my debut against Blackburn Rovers in November 1998 I could never have imagined what would then follow over the next 18 years."

■Steven Gerrard quiz - can name the team-mates?
      Gerrard had been linked to a job in management with MK Dons after announcing he would leave LA Galaxy, but said on Wednesday the opportunity came "too soon" for him.

Midfielder Gerrard was made Liverpool captain by Gerard Houllier in 2003 and led the side to the Champions League title in 2005, scoring the Reds' first goal as they recovered from being 3-0 down at half-time to beat Italian giants AC Milan on penalties in the Istanbul final.

sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Re: Re: Steven Gerrard (Liverpool -> LA Galaxy)
      Reply #2: Nov 24, 2016 11:59:26 am
      Our best ever midfielder.
      Between him and Dalglish for our best ever player imo.

YNWA Stevie G.
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #3: Nov 24, 2016 12:01:34 pm
      What to say that hasn’t already been sent?

A phenomenon in red.

A player who in his prime was head and shoulders above the entire squad, who’s now rarely seen loyalties to the badge hindered his own career.

What an engine he had.

What a shame it crumbled like it did.

Let’s remember the truly incredible moments he gave us.

Enjoy your playing retirement Stevie, the correct choice.

Earn your badges and we’ll no doubt see you in the future on the sidelines.  Your new home.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Re: Steven Gerrard Announces Retirement
      Reply #4: Nov 24, 2016 12:06:04 pm
      What a player he was. A real Liverpool legend. One of the best I will ever see for Liverpool, it was a pleasure to watch him progress troughout his career.

Let's hope the future brings further success for him, and maybe us.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #5: Nov 24, 2016 01:06:33 pm
      Best player in my lifetime. His final game for us was the most depressing game of football I've ever watched. Was a blubbering mess at full time when he was walking around the ground for the last time.

What a career.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNnsv88Ea6s

Love him.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #6: Nov 24, 2016 01:09:42 pm
      Steve Gerrard, Liverpool legend.

That is all.

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #7: Nov 24, 2016 01:09:58 pm
      Definitely deserves its own thread.

A true great player not only for our club but in the history of the game.

MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #8: Nov 24, 2016 01:15:10 pm
      Thats it dream over .
      He ain't joining in January on a six month contract and wont be holding aloft the league trophy next May.

Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,918 posts | 281 
      Reply #9: Nov 24, 2016 01:20:19 pm
      It was a privilege Stevie seeing you live in your heyday.  He gave the club his all, can't wish for anything more.

Legend.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #10: Nov 24, 2016 01:29:49 pm
      I'm glad he's made the decision rather than trying to prolong his playing days and drift along for a couple more years in some god forsaken league somewhere. 

As Jürgen has just said in his PC, give him time and space to decide where and what he's going to do next and understand that no matter how good a player he became he's now starting as a "new, young whatever". 

Take your time Stevie, enjoy having a "normal" life with friends and family, there is absolutley no rush to "do" something.

Most people will remember him for his playing style, his goals, his passion but I always think about my daughter.  She absolutely adored him as a player, from his very first game she was besotted by him which is weird because she's a Sheffield Wednesday fan.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #11: Nov 24, 2016 02:06:41 pm
      One of the greatest ever footballers for Liverpool and the best scouser to play the game.

Well done fella.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #12: Nov 24, 2016 02:07:14 pm
      Thanks for the memories Steven.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #13: Nov 24, 2016 02:34:11 pm
      Strip all the bullshit away from his autobiography....

& you have one f**king phenomenal player ever to grace Anfield & European stadiums, this kid literally dragged the club to trophies...

I sincerely hope we take him on at the academy and he can pass so much of what he has learned under the greats of Houllier,Rafa,Kenny to the younger generations...

Legend.
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #14: Nov 24, 2016 03:08:09 pm
      As a fan you want to see someone in your teams colours that represents you and your values. Never in my life time has someone made me feel more so than Stevie. The fact he was one of the greatest footballers of his generation was the cherry on top of the case.

An icon for the club and city, a leader and truly one of our own.

Is now and always will be my number 1.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #15: Nov 24, 2016 03:08:33 pm
      Our Stevie ..... has to be part of the Anfield set up .  Where else could he call home ?

Stevie gave loyalty and passion ..... they are  everything.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #16: Nov 24, 2016 03:20:45 pm
      Bit strange there are less than 20 posts on here on the day one of our best ever players retires from the game.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #17: Nov 24, 2016 03:36:13 pm
      One of the greats and with all the superlatives that have been used to describe him over the years then there is not much left to say..........
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #18: Nov 24, 2016 03:41:56 pm
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #19: Nov 24, 2016 03:56:03 pm
      friedeggden
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 987 posts | 258 
      Reply #20: Nov 24, 2016 04:17:03 pm
      We will never see another player like Gerrard at Liverpool. Not just in terms of ability but the fact that he was a local, a one club player that was truly world class.

He could of gone to any team he wanted in Europe, they would of been queuing up for him and he stayed loyal and give it everything.

It's a shame Klopp didn't join 3-4 seasons ago and maybe he would of been retiring with a premier league winners medal as well.

Firepool
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,274 posts | 224 
      • @Jenns_Design
      Reply #21: Nov 24, 2016 04:29:33 pm
      As a fan you want to see someone in your teams colours that represents you and your values. Never in my life time has someone made me feel more so than Stevie. The fact he was one of the greatest footballers of his generation was the cherry on top of the case.

An icon for the club and city, a leader and truly one of our own.

Is now and always will be my number 1.

Well said.

He will always be the best to me on and off the field.  Glad I was able to see him play in Chicago, it was one of the best memories I have.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #22: Nov 24, 2016 04:36:56 pm
      A true Liverpool legend !!

Quick Reply