Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

Steven Gerrard Announces Retirement

Read 9325 times
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Nov 24, 2016 11:52:45 am
      Steven Gerrard confirms retirement from football

Liverpool legend Steven Gerrard has officially announced his retirement from professional football.

The former Reds captain, who spent 17 years in the first team at Anfield and was the club’s skipper from 2003 until his departure in the summer of 2015, confirmed the decision on Thursday morning.

In a statement, he said: “Following recent media speculation surrounding my future I can confirm my retirement from playing professional football.

“I have had an incredible career and am thankful for each and every moment of my time at Liverpool, England and LA Galaxy.”

The Huyton-born midfielder graduated from Liverpool’s Academy and made his senior debut as a substitute against Blackburn Rovers in November 1998, ultimately clocking up 710 games and 186 goals.

Blessed with natural abilities that made him one of the leading midfielders of his generation, Gerrard was a key figure in the treble-winning season of 2000-01, aiding Gerard Houllier’s team to triumphs in the League Cup, FA Cup and UEFA Cup.

His influence steadily grew at Anfield and Houllier handed the Scouser the captain’s armband in October 2003, heralding the beginning of the most consistent and prolific era of his career.

Following the appointment of Rafael Benitez as manager, Gerrard was the talisman of Liverpool’s sensational run to Champions League glory in 2004-05.

A memorable strike against Olympiacos ensured the Reds progressed from the tournament’s group stage and kick-started a fairytale journey to the final in Istanbul.

There, his boyhood side trailed 3-0 to Italian giants AC Milan – but his determination was the catalyst behind an historic comeback, with his header the first of three responses that drew the tie level and paved the way for Benitez’s charges to win the trophy on penalties.

Gerrard was the inspiration behind the club’s 2006 FA Cup triumph, scoring twice in the final with West Ham United – which has subsequently been named after him – en route to another shootout success via a 3-3 draw.

He also helped Liverpool return to the Champions League showpiece in 2007, though on that occasion they were beaten by Milan, and claim a second-place finish in the 2008-09 Premier League.

The No.8 lifted the League Cup under the stewardship of Kenny Dalglish in 2012, and was appointed the captain of his country – for whom he amassed 114 caps before retiring from the international football in 2014.

That year, Gerrard come closest to winning the only domestic honour that eluded him, the Premier League, as the Reds produced a stunning charge to take the title race to the final day only to be pipped by Manchester City.

After bidding farewell to Anfield at the conclusion of the 2014-15 season, Gerrard joined LA Galaxy in Major League Soccer, where he played 34 games and scored five goals.

He said: “Thank you to the amazing fans of Liverpool, England and LA Galaxy for the incredible backing you have given me throughout my career. Your loyalty and support has meant the world.

“I am excited about the future and feel I still have a lot to offer the game, in whatever capacity that may be. I am currently taking my time to consider a number of options and will make an announcement with regards to the next stage of my career very soon.”

Feel so privileged to have watch him throughout the entirety of his career. What a player! I don't think 'thank you' are worthy words for the joy and excitement he has provided over the years to us fans. A number of the trophies we've won during his career wouldn't have happened without his constant contributions.

My favourite goal of his was this rocket...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IISJfDnOnJE

closely followed from that beauty against Olympiakos...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3l-sdU9d0E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcZG4VU0P8w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQd996AgaBI

« Last Edit: Nov 24, 2016 02:26:38 pm by JD »
      Munch101
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 495 posts | 80 
      Reply #1: Nov 24, 2016 11:58:35 am
      I know this should be in a player thread but I think it's important enough to get it's own thread!

Our captain fantastic has announced his retirement from playing and has decided against a move to Europe, China or Australia!

Definitely has to have a role at the club, i'd like to see him as Alex Inglethorpes assistant for a while and then taking charge of the Under 21's eventually.

Best player i've ever seen play CM, could do it all!

Thanks Stevie for the memories!

Former Liverpool and England captain Steven Gerrard has retired, ending a 19-year playing career.

Gerrard, 36, played 710 times for the Reds, winning eight major trophies, but joined MLS side LA Galaxy in 2015.

He is England's fourth most-capped player with 114 appearances and captained the side at three of the six major tournaments he played at.

"I feel lucky to have experienced so many wonderful highlights over the course of my career," said Gerrard.

"I have had an incredible career and am thankful for each and every moment of my time at Liverpool, England and LA Galaxy.

"As a teenager I fulfilled my childhood dream by pulling on the famous red shirt of Liverpool, and when I made my debut against Blackburn Rovers in November 1998 I could never have imagined what would then follow over the next 18 years."

■Steven Gerrard quiz - can name the team-mates?
      Gerrard had been linked to a job in management with MK Dons after announcing he would leave LA Galaxy, but said on Wednesday the opportunity came "too soon" for him.

Midfielder Gerrard was made Liverpool captain by Gerard Houllier in 2003 and led the side to the Champions League title in 2005, scoring the Reds' first goal as they recovered from being 3-0 down at half-time to beat Italian giants AC Milan on penalties in the Istanbul final.

sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,993 posts | 517 
      Re: Re: Steven Gerrard (Liverpool -> LA Galaxy)
      Reply #2: Nov 24, 2016 11:59:26 am
      Our best ever midfielder.
      Between him and Dalglish for our best ever player imo.

YNWA Stevie G.
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #3: Nov 24, 2016 12:01:34 pm
      What to say that hasn’t already been sent?

A phenomenon in red.

A player who in his prime was head and shoulders above the entire squad, who’s now rarely seen loyalties to the badge hindered his own career.

What an engine he had.

What a shame it crumbled like it did.

Let’s remember the truly incredible moments he gave us.

Enjoy your playing retirement Stevie, the correct choice.

Earn your badges and we’ll no doubt see you in the future on the sidelines.  Your new home.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Re: Steven Gerrard Announces Retirement
      Reply #4: Nov 24, 2016 12:06:04 pm
      What a player he was. A real Liverpool legend. One of the best I will ever see for Liverpool, it was a pleasure to watch him progress troughout his career.

Let's hope the future brings further success for him, and maybe us.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #5: Nov 24, 2016 01:06:33 pm
      Best player in my lifetime. His final game for us was the most depressing game of football I've ever watched. Was a blubbering mess at full time when he was walking around the ground for the last time.

What a career.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNnsv88Ea6s

Love him.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,968 posts | 3052 
      Reply #6: Nov 24, 2016 01:09:42 pm
      Steve Gerrard, Liverpool legend.

That is all.

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Reply #7: Nov 24, 2016 01:09:58 pm
      Definitely deserves its own thread.

A true great player not only for our club but in the history of the game.

MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #8: Nov 24, 2016 01:15:10 pm
      Thats it dream over .
      He ain't joining in January on a six month contract and wont be holding aloft the league trophy next May.

Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,924 posts | 283 
      Reply #9: Nov 24, 2016 01:20:19 pm
      It was a privilege Stevie seeing you live in your heyday.  He gave the club his all, can't wish for anything more.

Legend.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #10: Nov 24, 2016 01:29:49 pm
      I'm glad he's made the decision rather than trying to prolong his playing days and drift along for a couple more years in some god forsaken league somewhere. 

As Jürgen has just said in his PC, give him time and space to decide where and what he's going to do next and understand that no matter how good a player he became he's now starting as a "new, young whatever". 

Take your time Stevie, enjoy having a "normal" life with friends and family, there is absolutley no rush to "do" something.

Most people will remember him for his playing style, his goals, his passion but I always think about my daughter.  She absolutely adored him as a player, from his very first game she was besotted by him which is weird because she's a Sheffield Wednesday fan.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Reply #11: Nov 24, 2016 02:06:41 pm
      One of the greatest ever footballers for Liverpool and the best scouser to play the game.

Well done fella.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #12: Nov 24, 2016 02:07:14 pm
      Thanks for the memories Steven.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,421 posts | 4581 
      Reply #13: Nov 24, 2016 02:34:11 pm
      Strip all the bullshit away from his autobiography....

& you have one f**king phenomenal player ever to grace Anfield & European stadiums, this kid literally dragged the club to trophies...

I sincerely hope we take him on at the academy and he can pass so much of what he has learned under the greats of Houllier,Rafa,Kenny to the younger generations...

Legend.
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #14: Nov 24, 2016 03:08:09 pm
      As a fan you want to see someone in your teams colours that represents you and your values. Never in my life time has someone made me feel more so than Stevie. The fact he was one of the greatest footballers of his generation was the cherry on top of the case.

An icon for the club and city, a leader and truly one of our own.

Is now and always will be my number 1.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #15: Nov 24, 2016 03:08:33 pm
      Our Stevie ..... has to be part of the Anfield set up .  Where else could he call home ?

Stevie gave loyalty and passion ..... they are  everything.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Reply #16: Nov 24, 2016 03:20:45 pm
      Bit strange there are less than 20 posts on here on the day one of our best ever players retires from the game.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #17: Nov 24, 2016 03:36:13 pm
      One of the greats and with all the superlatives that have been used to describe him over the years then there is not much left to say..........
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,421 posts | 4581 
      Reply #18: Nov 24, 2016 03:41:56 pm
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,421 posts | 4581 
      Reply #19: Nov 24, 2016 03:56:03 pm
      friedeggden
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 987 posts | 258 
      Reply #20: Nov 24, 2016 04:17:03 pm
      We will never see another player like Gerrard at Liverpool. Not just in terms of ability but the fact that he was a local, a one club player that was truly world class.

He could of gone to any team he wanted in Europe, they would of been queuing up for him and he stayed loyal and give it everything.

It's a shame Klopp didn't join 3-4 seasons ago and maybe he would of been retiring with a premier league winners medal as well.

Firepool
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,274 posts | 224 
      • @Jenns_Design
      Reply #21: Nov 24, 2016 04:29:33 pm
      As a fan you want to see someone in your teams colours that represents you and your values. Never in my life time has someone made me feel more so than Stevie. The fact he was one of the greatest footballers of his generation was the cherry on top of the case.

Well said.

He will always be the best to me on and off the field.  Glad I was able to see him play in Chicago, it was one of the best memories I have.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,278 posts | 763 
      Reply #22: Nov 24, 2016 04:36:56 pm
      A true Liverpool legend !!
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,183 posts | 1632 
      Reply #23: Nov 24, 2016 04:37:47 pm
      I've never and never will see a player with so much influence on the outcome of a match again.

He could change games just by sheer desire and I've never ever seen that before, the amount of times he did it was just incredible.

Far and away the most complete player I will ever see and I would have him in his prime over any player you wish to mention just for the fact that wherever you put him on the pitch, he was still world class.

Special special player.
      StevieGTheCaptain8
      • Forum Ian St John

• 444 posts | 11 
      • Italian Fan
      Reply #24: Nov 24, 2016 05:28:27 pm
      Me too feeling a little bit strange thinking this was not his football farewell but which one he had in 2015 at Anfield. Maybe because now we get used to see footballers changing so much shirts and when Steven Gerrard left his one and only, that was the official farewell to playing football. And that is the feeling now for me. I won't be that sad as I was back at his last match. That was the real end of Steven Gerrard era, and this half and year overseas is only a try to do something else before coming home...
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,341 posts | 1620 
      Reply #25: Nov 24, 2016 05:32:34 pm
      We are on a new path now , same as him , as a player what can I say he has made all around him proud family , friends , But more than that he made a whole generation proud ,as a scouser you locals must have been in dreamland seeing one of yours rise up to the very top and stay there , let's hope there is some other kid out there with the dream to follow on  , a joy and a privilege to watch the kid play special special player .
      Jimsouse67

• 9,404 posts | 1459 
      Reply #26: Nov 24, 2016 05:55:35 pm

Sums it up perferfectly mate.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #27: Nov 24, 2016 06:42:36 pm
      One of the very best players to ever play the game, let alone just for Liverpool.

While I thought much of what he did near the tail end of his career was massively exaggerated I believe there was a period there where he was right up there with Zidane as the best player around. There was nothing he couldn't do on a football pitch and it has to be one of the greatest misfortunes to exist in terms of measuring football success that he doesn't have that league title to his name.

Could have left for any club in the world numerous times and while some still question his loyalty due to the Chelsea flirtations I am not one of them, he stayed with us through the good and the bad and that will forever hold my utmost respect.

It's no surprise to see so many ex-LFC players coming out today to say that he was the best they've ever played with because in my opinion he's in the top 3 to ever play for us. That list would be Suarez-Dalglish-Gerrard but I certainly wouldn't grumble much if you shuffled that trio and pulled them out in any order because they are all geniuses of the game.

Enjoy your retirement Stevie and thanks for the many fantastic memories, a proper legend.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #28: Nov 24, 2016 06:48:18 pm
      One of the very best players to ever play the game, let alone just for Liverpool.

While I thought much of what he did near the tail end of his career was massively exaggerated I believe there was a period there where he was right up there with Zidane as the best player around. There was nothing he couldn't do on a football pitch and it has to be one of the greatest misfortunes to exist in terms of measuring football success that he doesn't have that league title to his name.

Could have left for any club in the world numerous times and while some still question his loyalty due to the Chelsea flirtations I am not one of them, he stayed with us through the good and the bad and that will forever hold my utmost respect.

It's no surprise to see so many ex-LFC players coming out today to say that he was the best they've ever played with because in my opinion he's in the top 3 to ever play for us. That list would be Suarez-Dalglish-Gerrard but I certainly wouldn't grumble much if you shuffled that trio and pulled them out in any order because they are all geniuses of the game.

Enjoy your retirement Stevie and thanks for the many fantastic memories, a proper legend.

I find it hard to choose between Gerrard and Souness, but I always go for Souness as I feel he was a more complete player, whereas Gerrard didn't have the defensive nous, and was really more of an attacking CAM than a true midfield general, as Rafa recognised very quickly.
      I think that's down to positional discipline more than anything else, but for any CM, positional discipline is vital.

Gerrard is one of the most naturally gifted players I have seen though, and it'll be a long time before we see another like him.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #29: Nov 24, 2016 07:14:09 pm
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #30: Nov 24, 2016 07:21:31 pm
      The Olympiakos goal will forever be my greatest memory of him. Every kid in the playground dreams of being the hero of the day on the football field and imagines it in the exact manner Gerrard played it out, in real life, at Anfield on that December night - a 30 yard screamer to send the stadium into raptures. That he'd go on to replicate such heroics again and again proved the uniqueness of the man. When he held aloft that trophy on that night in Istanbul he won a whole lot more than old big ears. To claim the status as one of, if not the greatest footballer to have played for Liverpool Football Club and one of the finest to have graced the world's greatest stadiums means that everything else comes secondary to that. Thousands have and will win medals of all types in the game but only a select few have ended their careers where such possessions act as mere decoration when placed alongside their titanic stature and iconography. He was one of them.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,475 posts | 4821 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #31: Nov 24, 2016 07:32:46 pm
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,475 posts | 4821 
      Reply #32: Nov 24, 2016 07:33:57 pm
      In too much of a flap with other things to post properly on this.

My footballing hero. When I've got more time will post a proper tribute.

True legend.
      KateMKD_Red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,184 posts | 527 
      • At the end of the storm, there’s a golden sky.
      Reply #33: Nov 24, 2016 07:46:16 pm
      He is the player I grew up watching. Such a privilege. Thank you for all your love.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #35: Nov 24, 2016 08:07:12 pm
      Too lazy to write something new so I'll just copy here what I posted on facebook:

When discussing the greatest ever performances in FA Cup finals, people often mention the 1953 contest when, inspired by the great Sir Stanley Matthews, Blackpool beat Bolton by 4-3. History recalls it as the so called "Sir Stanley Matthews Final".

I've watched that match and, taking absolutely nothing away from Matthews, who was an incredible athlete - and a vegetarian, a random fact I just love to point out ;) -, you can always say Stan Mortensen might have been just as important: he did, after all, score a hat-trick on the day.

The 2006 FA Cup final, however, is a different story. It was a game where everything seemed to be going wrong for Liverpool. Back in those days, Jamie Carragher was an absolute rock at the back, but on this afternoon in Cardiff, he embarrassed himself with an own goal; Pepe Reina was on the end of a fantastic debut season for Liverpool, but was clearly at fault for at least one of the goals. Some will probably blame him for two.

And yet - Liverpool lifted the trophy. The reason is simple: they had Steven Gerrard. He not only scored two of the best goals of his career, but also provided a brilliant assist for the other. If ever a FA Cup final deserved to be named after a player, then it has to be this one. The Steven Gerrard Final.

That came, of course, only a year after he inspired the club to its greatest ever comeback in the biggest game of his career.

So that's how I'll always remember Steven Gerrard: as the only player, to date, to have scored in the Champions League, UEFA Cup, FA Cup and League Cup finals. The captain armband never fitted a player as well as it did this man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFgn1xvsyP4
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #36: Nov 24, 2016 08:34:21 pm
      I find it hard to choose between Gerrard and Souness, but I always go for Souness as I feel he was a more complete player, whereas Gerrard didn't have the defensive nous, and was really more of an attacking CAM than a true midfield general, as Rafa recognised very quickly.
      I think that's down to positional discipline more than anything else, but for any CM, positional discipline is vital.

Gerrard is one of the most naturally gifted players I have seen though, and it'll be a long time before we see another like him.

Fair enough that Swab, can definitely see where you're coming from. For me the difference between those two was that Gerrard was able to get performances out of bang average players too.

He instilled a belief and demanded a response without having to bark at people, there was just that aura about Gerrard, especially in his prime. Once that stride opened and he started to get angry things happened, so few players can literally swing a game by themselves like I witnessed with him.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #37: Nov 24, 2016 09:21:31 pm
      The best player I have ever seen. Roy of the Rovers in every sense. He did everything but win the league. He will be back!

-LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,197 posts | 1205 
      Reply #38: Nov 24, 2016 09:30:15 pm
      Wonderful to read so many eulogies written by the great players he played with and against and to see the respect they had for his leadership, his phenomenal ability to drag us out of the sh*t time and time again and the way he conducted himself as a professional.

My favourite player of the last 20 years. Absolutely gutted that he didn't get the title his efforts so deserved, but immensely privileged to have seen him play.

Steven Gerrard, legend.

YNWA.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #39: Nov 24, 2016 10:01:23 pm
      Loved the lad. He lived the dream and helped us with ours. Legend.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #40: Nov 24, 2016 10:41:41 pm
      We won't see another like him for sure. Along with Dalglish, I can only imagine how blessed people were to witness arguably the two greatest ever players play for us in a time span covering thirty years. Here's to a new chapter.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #41: Nov 24, 2016 10:57:19 pm
      Well, he's coming back to the academy. Good decision, a position that does not bear too much scrutiny or hype from the press and allows him to develop at his own pace. Plus, what an inspiration it will prove to the young kids who get to arrive in Kirkby each day and see Gerrard there waiting for them. Here's hoping he helps secure the future of our youth.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/11/24/steven-gerrard-poised-accept-liverpool-academy-coaching-role/?WT.mc_id=tmg_share_tw
      scotscouse
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 154 posts | 40 
      Reply #42: Nov 24, 2016 11:06:04 pm
      Think he should take up a role with another club Tranmere rovers etc learn the ropes in management  then  an opportunity arises at anfield    fine dont want his homecomeing affecting klopps good work so far
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,475 posts | 4821 
      Reply #43: Nov 25, 2016 12:28:57 am
      Think he should take up a role with another club Tranmere rovers etc learn the ropes in management  then  an opportunity arises at anfield    fine dont want his homecomeing affecting klopps good work so far

Nothing against you mate but he shouldn't go anywhere near Tranmere.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #44: Nov 25, 2016 12:38:03 am

Tranmere? They're in the Conference :D. Why would it affect Klopp? Some people in this fan base must think Klopp is one of the most weak minded people in the game.

According to Chris Bascombe he's set to accept a role at academy level. Klopp has been saying that he should be given the opportunity to learn the trade away from the spotlight and I guess this is a way of doing that. No idea what age group that will be at mind.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #45: Nov 25, 2016 12:39:16 am
      I couldn't find the words, but Yorkykopite over on RAWK did. A superb tribute to Gerrard:

STEVEN GERRARD – THE MAN WHO COULD DO EVERYTHING

He could do everything. He could beat men with trickery and beat men with pace. He could out muscle opponents, out run them, out think them, and intimidate them. He could head a ball with power and with deftness. He could tackle with crunching force or he could nick a ball with stealth. He became so adept at stopping players that for six or seven years when he was at his peak no one tried to get past him with the ball. They’d offload it rather than attempt to do that, often to a teammate less favourably placed than themselves. He could tear defences apart with passes tailor-made for each occasion – passes using every conceivable spin, flight and curve. The passes he hit with the outside of his boot were as beautifully judged and often as powerfully hit as if he’d put his laces through them. Only Redondo in my lifetime has used the outside of a football shoe better than him. He could shoot.

How he could he shoot!

Olympiakos, Everton, Man Utd, Middlesbrough, Man City, Man Utd, Arsenal, West Brom, Man Utd, West Ham, Aston Villa, Man Utd, Real Madrid, Marseilles, Man Utd, Southampton, Leeds, Man Utd, Alaves, Man Utd, Napoli, Man Utd, Man Utd – and others too, including Man Utd. All of them, at some time or other, were forced to watch in sheer helplessness as he unloaded from 20 or 30 yards. Goalies didn’t have enough time to react to something travelling so quickly and so accurately. Even the best of them couldn’t defend the corners of the net and that’s where he liked to place his thunderbolts.

The absolute purity of his strikes were for the connoisseurs – and all true football fans are connoisseurs. The goal that won the Cup Final in Cardiff was as beautiful a shot as you could ever hope to see. It was the shot of an athlete in peak physical condition. Yet it was delivered by a man suffering from cramp and fatigue. No matter. Something fired in his brain just before he pulled his leg back and told him to ignore the pain, shake off the weariness, and invest everything he had – power, ambition, know-how, technique – into one final effort for Liverpool. What a goal. His best goal. “Only Gerrard” said a friend of mine, an Arsenal pal, the day after. “Yeah”, I thought. 

“Only Gerrard” because it was about morale. He had unbreakable morale. That’s why he could never be beaten, in his own mind at least. His recovery powers were awesome. If he lost the ball he’d get it back. His stamina was frightening. His commitment was legendary. His passion for the cause unsurpassed. When he celebrated a goal it was raw and unadorned. He was as likely to prepare a ‘celebratory goal routine’ as a supporter would. He was a supporter.

He could play central midfield, both holding and ‘box to box’. He could play in the hole behind the centre forward. He could play facing forwards or with his back to goal with equal brilliance. He could play on the right wing, he could play on the left wing. He could play full back. He could play centre forward. Wherever he was on the pitch you knew Liverpool had a chance when the ball came his way. In the first European Cup Final, in Istanbul, he played in all these positions. At one point in extra time when others were fading away he appeared to be playing two or three of these positions at the same time. Milan had some great players of their own that night. Kaka, Pirlo, Maldini, Crespo, Schevchenko, Nesta, Cafu, Seedorf – all great players. But they all knew he was superior and gradually, as he moved around the pitch from midfield to attack to wing back to full back, they became deflated and undermined. He was burning too brightly that night.

He held that enormous Cup aloft and it was the greatest football moment most of us are ever likely to have. It was also the greatest European Cup Final there will ever be. That's his legacy. 

He was our captain. He was thrown the band when he was young for no other reason than he was already the best player on the pitch, the supreme player, even then, at 22. At first his interpretation of the captaincy was narrow. It ran deep, but it was narrow. He led by example and by force of his personality on the pitch. Off the pitch he was diffident still and seemed a little introverted, perhaps a little too keyed up and anxious. No one doubted that he cared, but perhaps he cared a bit too much. He could cope with those falling below his standards because he was a realist, but he seemed to have only one way to deal with those falling below his expectations. He shouted at them.

But then he changed. He matured and he developed other ways of leading men. He was seen coaxing players and encouraging them, geeing them up and egging them on. He seemed to know how to get the best out of the different characters around him. Off the field he began to show more wit and more personality. He looked genuinely likeable – and not all top sportsmen do.

He was a “one-club man” and always will be now. For a long time the common accusation was that Liverpool were a “one-man team”.  We resented it as being a trite and unfair description but for a brief period, towards the end of Houllier’s reign, it was true. Teammates seemed to look to him to get them out of a mess and he increasingly looked to himself. There was a game at the Hawthorns in those years where he was so commanding, and the rest were so poor, that the whole 90 minutes practically became a parody of the idea of the ‘one man team’.

These years shaped him and helped turn him into a football giant but such was the reliance that everyone else put on the young scouser that something wild and undisciplined entered his game. It took Rafa Benitez to tame this side of him, to channel it, and re-introduce him to teamwork and collective solutions to problems on the pitch. It helped, of course, that he brought Xabi Alonso to the club – a player that the skipper could look at and recognise something familiar. A different type of player to him, to be sure, but one possessing his stature and something like his command on the pitch. Under Benitez he became a better player because he was forced to think more deeply about what his own role was and how matches could be won. The old instincts remained, and in moments of crisis the rest of the team tended to look to him, but his game was becoming more sophisticated and cleverer. When Torres came he played the best football of his life. So, of course, did Torres.

He brought top-class players to Liverpool. When the likes of Alonso, Torres and Suarez signed for the Reds they knew that they’d be playing under a captain of world renown. He was a sign - perhaps the sign - that Liverpool Football Club was still at the top table of world football.

He’s going now. It’s the end of an era. It’s the end of an era not just for Liverpool FC but for English football. Let’s call it ‘the romantic era’. The players who defined the romantic era were all great footballers. Some won loads of trophies, some a few, some none at all. They were men like Finney, Matthews, Lofthouse, Liddell, Moore, Charlton, Dalglish, Scholes – men associated with one club, perhaps two. When you think about them you can only see them in one shirt.

Gerrard is probably the last of them. Good young players of the future won’t be like Gerrard. They’ll be about themselves and their agents, not the club - and certainly not us, the supporters. The Premier League has turned Gerrard into an anomaly.

We honour Steven Gerrard because he’s probably the best player most have us have ever seen at Anfield. The memories are almost too many. Too thick on the ground. There are a thousand ‘best moments’.

We also honour him because he honoured the club and because everything he did, no matter how much it added to his own status, his own value, his own personal medal collection, was chiefly done for Liverpool, his own team.

Farewell Stevie. The King of the Kop.
      « Last Edit: Nov 25, 2016 05:48:15 am by Beerbelly »
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #46: Nov 25, 2016 12:45:19 am
      marchisiocla8   4h
      I watched you on the TV as a child, I admired you and studied your every move. For me one of the strongest and most complete midfielder players that I have ever seen and ever met on the pitch. A legend and an emblem of your club.
      An example both as a person and as a player! Good luck with everything @stevengerrard #Gerrard #MC8

jackwilshere  7h
      As a kid growing up I wanted to be like him, it was a dream come true to line up next to him in an England shirt. Good luck in the future Skipper @stevengerrard

mkelly_34   4h
      Amazing memories for the fans and family to remember forever! @stevengerrard what a player, captain and friend 👊🏻 congratulations 👏🏻✋🏻⚽️ #legend #stevieg

koke6   2h
      An outstanding sportsman is retiring. Quality, moral values and pure football. A great professional and better person. Thank you for your legacy in the sport we love.⚽️🙌🏻

His Twitter & Instagram must be going mental right now :D
      Class
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 310 posts | 82 
      Reply #47: Nov 25, 2016 04:21:38 am
      He is the bar. Simple as that, he is the guy every Liverpool player nay every player should be measured by and frankly if I was most of them I'd be looking for a new line of work.
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #48: Nov 25, 2016 07:24:55 am
      Sadly never destined to lift the league as our captain - but what a player and captain

As others have said - let him start with youth teams, finish off his badges, and maybe in 5+ years time when Klopp wants a new challenge, after his 3rd consecutive Champions league (!),  he can step up and be manager
      Redangel

• 8,249 posts | 1000 
      Reply #49: Nov 25, 2016 08:46:19 am
      I just want to say thank you Stevie for giving us so many wonderful memories and wish him and his family all the very best whatever he decides to do next.
      A true Liverpool legend, he led by example and at times dragged his team mates over the winning line.
      A job back home (LFC) would be just perfect.    :clap: :kop5cf8koxp6: :clap:
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,001 posts | 3952 
      Reply #50: Nov 25, 2016 09:50:19 am
      'Steven Gerrard close to accepting role on Anfield's academy coaching staff':-

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/11/24/steven-gerrard-poised-accept-liverpool-academy-coaching-role/
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #51: Nov 25, 2016 10:07:14 am

Maybe you can help make more England managers in England in the future if they can start working at the beginning and not in the middle or the end.

Wise words from Klopp, who obviously is steering Gerrard onto the right path.

Glad he's back at the club in some form.

The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #52: Nov 25, 2016 11:39:03 am
      I notice this little tribute from a former Liverpool player El-Hadji Diouf

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3969862/El-Hadji-Diouf-reignites-war-words-Liverpool-FC-legend-ex-team-mate-Steven-Gerrard-nothing.html

What a spit-tingly "Classy" individual Diouf is.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #53: Nov 25, 2016 11:53:28 am

How Mane can say this pathetic excuse of a human is his idol I'll never know.
      RedWilly

• 9,183 posts | 1632 
      Reply #54: Nov 25, 2016 12:09:21 pm

It baffles me that Diouf actually believes this sh*t that he speaks. How much must you think of yourself to think that a few goals in a World Cup over 14 years ago is somehow a major achievement, let alone puts you above someone like Stevie.

Glad he got filled in a few years back in some nightclub!
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,001 posts | 3952 
      Reply #55: Nov 25, 2016 12:23:12 pm

F***ing gobs***e.
      Wouldn't piss on the c**t if he was on fire.
      Harrisimo

• 8,180 posts | 1385 
      Reply #56: Nov 25, 2016 01:28:45 pm
      Tribute thread obviously so we should keep the likes of Diouf well out of it.

Just to add that as a fan of over 50 years I think that Gerrard on his day was the best at pulling us out of it singly handedly. The West Ham cup final being probably the best example. Great great privilege and pleasure to have watched his career at LFC and I obviously hope he can come back to the club in some capacity.

Enjoy your retirement and good health to him and his family.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #57: Nov 25, 2016 01:32:58 pm
      I would, at the moment my piss is very, very salty.

And you know that how?  :laugh:

As for Diouf... that sh*te shouldn't be repeated in here... I'd delete the F**k out of  it.  ;)
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,001 posts | 3952 
      Reply #58: Nov 25, 2016 01:36:30 pm
      I would, at the moment my piss is very, very salty.

It might still be a fire-retardant Ian so you wouldn't be advised to point your todger at Diouf if he was ablaze.
      The decision would be yours of course, spraying the gobs***e with salty piss would provide endless fun.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #59: Nov 25, 2016 01:45:58 pm
      It's all white and crystalline. It just comes out like a fire extinguisher. Mental image not required.

And I don't march with the Columbians so it must be salt.

F**k it, whilst he writhes about in agony I'll do a jobbie in his mouth.

"Spit that out ya c**t"

On the plus side, salty water is a better conductor of electricity.
      Just in case someone has some jump leads and a car battery, or better yet, a truck battery.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,678 posts | 3699 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #60: Nov 25, 2016 05:15:43 pm
      Happy Retirement Super G. Thanks for everything. Hope we didn't see the last of you.
      scotscouse
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 154 posts | 40 
      Reply #61: Nov 25, 2016 07:22:08 pm
      Tranmere? They're in the Conference :D. Why would it affect Klopp? Some people in this fan base must think Klopp is one of the most weak minded people in the game.

According to Chris Bascombe he's set to accept a role at academy level. Klopp has been saying that he should be given the opportunity to learn the trade away from the spotlight and I guess this is a way of doing that. No idea what age group that will be at mind.
      I only refered to Tranmere as an example just like Mk Dons dont forget ex Liverpool greats such as John Barnes and John  Aldridge were both managers there even the great Bill Shankly started his managerial carrear at lower league teams before arriving at Liverpool we were in a lower league prior to his appointment whilst we have had great success in the past promoting from within [boot room styje ] i think the modern game now does not allow that style now however Gerrard maybe an exception to that rule and one day he will no doubt become the Liverpool manager i would have prefered him to go and become his own man and if succesful when the time is right come back as manager look at Alan Shearer Newcastle legend appointed manager but not a success now a tv pundit not all club idols are not successful managers i certainly hope Gerrard will be a succesfull manager with us time will tell
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,911 posts | 4978 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #62: Nov 25, 2016 07:51:01 pm
      It's difficult to say something different that hasn't been say already, the word Legend gets banded about to readily these days imo, but not for this bloke,
      If you look down the corridors of Anfield there is a room tucked away in the darkest corner. It's called the mould room,
      It's where all the broken moulds are stored, you know the ones, the ones with names such as Shankly, Paisley, Bugsy Moran, Dalglish, Souness, Hansen, Clemence, Tommy Smith, Cally, to name but few, the type of individual who gave his all and some, the kind of commitment that the very foundations of this club are built,

There are many many more broken moulds in that room, Liddle, Hunt, St John, Barnes, Rush, Fowler, names that roll off the tongue.

This week we add another, perhaps the best of all, there will never be another Steven Gerrard, there will never be another Kenny Dalglish, it's so difficult to split them, we can't truth be told, different era's different game.
      When you think of the worlds best players over the last 25-30 years, Gerrard for me is at the top table. Sat next to Zidane, Kaka, Seedorf, Maldini, the accolades pouring in from all over the globe is testament to that, he is very highly regarded by the very best the world has seen, and that's not bad is it when you consider how grounded he has remained all his career, from the minute he kicked that garden fork, to playing bare-arse in the street with his mates, to lifting 'Ol Big Ears' at the Ataturk in 2005,

IT IS the end of a Era, a era blessed by Steven Gerrard, he has served LFC with grace, with dignity, he is a truly living Legend

Thank you Steven Gerrard, thank you for all those special special moments , moments most of us will tell our kids and grand kids, moments that most of us will take to our graves. THANK YOU .

YNWA
      sebby
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 624 posts | 59 
      Reply #63: Nov 25, 2016 07:52:31 pm
      First of all Steven Gerrard had more talent in his little toe,than that clown Diouf had in his whole body.classless c**t.Gerrard in his prime was practically unstoppable,for me there is so much that stands out,the Olympiakos goal,for the simple reason we would still be on 4 European cups,as we would never had made the final had he not scored that screamer,and the West ham goal,no words needed.My favourite player of the last 20 years,and even though my eldest son is 11,and was a little bit too young to appreciate Gerrard in his prime,he has watched enough clips,to know that he played the game on another level,he has a lot of Liverpool shirts,but the shirt i always end up washing is Gerrard's,he was some player.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #64: Nov 25, 2016 09:47:29 pm
      How Mane can say this pathetic excuse of a human is his idol I'll never know.
      Takes all sorts mate,all sorts  :roll:
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #65: Nov 26, 2016 12:47:14 am
      So sad, footballs loss
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,653 posts | 481 
      Reply #66: Nov 26, 2016 05:15:35 am
      For me , he retired when he left Liverpool. This is more of a formality now.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,694 posts | 6695 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #67: Nov 26, 2016 07:30:57 am
      Brilliant Player, Inspirational Captain and a true Liverpool Legend.

All the best in retirement Stevie, thanks for giving us so many remarkable memories.

Just Love this Photo, sums up the love for the Man.

QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #68: Nov 27, 2016 11:45:59 am
      Brilliant Player, Inspirational Captain and a true Liverpool Legend.

All the best in retirement Stevie, thanks for giving us so many remarkable memories.

Just Love this Photo, sums up the love for the Man.

Yeah, sterling cameo ruined it for me :(

AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,694 posts | 6695 
      Reply #69: Nov 28, 2016 07:32:53 am
      Yeah, sterling cameo ruined it for me :(

Can we get him photo shopped out?  :D
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #70: Nov 28, 2016 08:17:32 am
      It is sad to think that Stevie along with Carra will probably be the last of local lads to serve the club for the length of time they have.Thanks for the memories Stevie and I hope you go on to have as much success as a coach and manager as you had as a player.
      friedeggden
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 987 posts | 258 
      Reply #71: Nov 28, 2016 10:37:19 am
      Can we get him photo shopped out?  :D

Sorted:

Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #72: Nov 28, 2016 11:29:02 am
      Kopite78
      Reply #73: Nov 28, 2016 12:37:00 pm
      It was a pleasure to watch Steven through his entire career, a truly great player of the world game.

He got what it was to be a red out there,  he had the lot, his ability to influence was there from day 1, from his first goal against Sheffield Wednesday, to his red against the blues for smashing Kevin Campbell, to his wonder strike against Utd from 30 yards and his winner in the derby

His performance against West Ham in the FA cup final was in my opinion his greatest, to do what he did in that game not once but twice summed him up,  a man who never knew he was beaten, who had not only the desire to win but the ability to influence...

The way players who either played with him or wanted to have reacted tells you everything. A lad from Huyton who went on to rule the world

Talented,  different,  narky, scouse

Stevie, it was a pleasure and I thank you
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,001 posts | 3952 
      Reply #74: Nov 28, 2016 12:53:37 pm
      It was a pleasure to watch Steven through his entire career, a truly great player of the world game.

He got what it was to be a red out there,  he had the lot, his ability to influence was there from day 1, from his first goal against Sheffield Wednesday, to his red against the blues for smashing Kevin Campbell, to his wonder strike against Utd from 30 yards and his winner in the derby

The way players who either played with him or wanted to have reacted tells you everything. A lad from Huyton who went on to rule the world

Talented,  different,  narky, scouse

Stevie, it was a pleasure and I thank you

It was a pleasure watching Stevie smack Fellaini in the gob and it being judged a fair tackle that was one of the bonuses of a glittering array of achievements in football.   
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #75: Nov 28, 2016 11:48:46 pm
      Was always going to announce his retirement after Galaxy. Some players can only play for one club and Gerrard is one of them, he just went through the motions with Galaxy in the hope he could play for someone else but knowing there was no place for him on the playing staff here, he wasn't going to go through the motions for another season or two.

Let's hope he makes as much of an impact as a coach as he did a player.

One of the greatest.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,694 posts | 6695 
      Reply #76: Dec 03, 2016 10:16:11 pm
      Rush Goalie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,293 posts | 272 
      Reply #77: Dec 04, 2016 09:16:49 pm
      Say what you want about his legs being gone I'd have liked to see him come off the bench today at 3-1...sentimental fool I know but reckon we'd have held on .
      Kopite78
      Reply #78: Dec 04, 2016 09:21:20 pm
      Say what you want about his legs being gone I'd have liked to see him come off the bench today at 3-1...sentimental fool I know but reckon we'd have held on .

I love Steven but I'm not sure

Stevie played at Palace 3 years ago... He came on against Utd and got sent off after 30 seconds

Look today happens in football, as much as it happens today probably would happen twice in a hundred.. next week is what matters now
      Rush Goalie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,293 posts | 272 
      Reply #79: Dec 04, 2016 09:36:48 pm
      I love Steven but I'm not sure

Stevie played at Palace 3 years ago... He came on against Utd and got sent off after 30 seconds

Look today happens in football, as much as it happens today probably would happen twice in a hundred.. next week is what matters now

I know mate and I did think of that Palace game as I typed it I'm just depressed it's ruined my Sunday.
      I thought Wjnaldum looked slow today, I'm not a big fan tbh.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #80: Dec 04, 2016 10:37:28 pm
      We can't keep harping back to days gone by each time things don't go our way. What next, we draw 0-0 so we should bring back Rushie?
      Rush Goalie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,293 posts | 272 
      Reply #81: Dec 04, 2016 11:11:39 pm
      We can't keep harping back to days gone by each time things don't go our way. What next, we draw 0-0 so we should bring back Rushie?

Don't get my hopes up  ;)
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #82: Dec 04, 2016 11:12:42 pm

Defeats do strange things to people
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #83: Dec 05, 2016 08:49:07 pm
      Stevie tonight when he pulled out Liverpool & Ian Wright pulled out Newport/Plymouth: "That'll do, I should get a job for that." :lmao:
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,475 posts | 4821 
      Reply #84: Dec 06, 2016 05:49:17 am

Quick Reply