Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Leeds?

Simon Mignolet
      2 (2%)
      Alberto Moreno
      0 (0%)
      Ragnar Klavan
      0 (0%)
      Lucas Leiva
      20 (20%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      37 (37%)
      Kevin Stewart
      0 (0%)
      Ovie Ejaria
      3 (3%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      1 (1%)
      Emre Can
      3 (3%)
      Sadio Mane
      0 (0%)
      Divock Origi
      24 (24%)
      Ben Woodburn
      10 (10%)

Total Members Voted: 95

Voting closed: Dec 03, 2016 09:43:56 pm

Liverpool 2-0 Leeds United: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 19459 times
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Re: Liverpool 2-0 Leeds United: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #322: Nov 30, 2016 08:41:39 am
      He has been brought through playing either in the middle of the park or in the three behind the forward throughout his youth career, only converted to RB in the last year or so.. That's likely the reason his eye for a pass is better.

I really like the look of him, looks a real talent and I would think if his improvement continues he will become a fixture and possibly further forward like he has played before. But there is also other reasons kids like him stand out in early games, one they have the talent but two the opposition don't tend to focus on them too much in terms of He's a real danger on the ball, don't give him a second to get his head up... The real test comes when opposition managers start to have plans for them.

I'm genuinely excited by Trent though, out of any of this bunch of kids and I include Ovie and Ben I think Trent has the best chance of having a long term future for us

Clyne is very underrated, he is a very good full back.

Is there any chance one of Trent or Clyne could convert to LB because it was clear yesterday that Moreno really really isn't an option there any more unless we are playing a really sh*t team.
      tomx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,244 posts | 229 
      Reply #323: Nov 30, 2016 09:00:41 am
      Semi final is still home and away tie?
      Kopite78
      Reply #324: Nov 30, 2016 09:09:24 am
      Is there any chance one of Trent or Clyne could convert to LB because it was clear yesterday that Moreno really really isn't an option there any more unless we are playing a really sh*t team.

Sure they could but can't see it, Klopp is fully invested in Milner for LB and rightly so in my opinion.
      Moreno was poor last night though,  mainly in his decision making, I'd imagine Klopp being more frustrated with that than anything, his ideal of winning the first press when you lose the ball goes out of the window if you blam shots over the bar

In terms of subs, I think it's just his view of the game, the Sunderland one we were on top and not many managers make changes when it looks like a goal will come, last night was a mix of lack of game changing options really,  he would want Hendon and Milner to have the night off ideally and I don't think he wanted to bring Ben on until Leeds were starting to blow and gaps would be more prevelent

In general I think he does it on the press his team are putting in and when the opposition begin to start to struggle which most do. Sunderland the other day at the ground you could see last 25-30 the Sunderland players were fu**ed, blowing off camera

Semi final is still home and away tie?

Yeah

« Last Edit: Nov 30, 2016 09:59:39 am by Kopite78 »
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #325: Nov 30, 2016 09:58:38 am
      We only really improved in the last 20 minutes but thank God they hadn't scored before that otherwise I think we would have been in trouble.
      I'm also getting slightly pissed off with how slow Klopp is at making subs, at the beginning of that second half we were completely over run in midfield but no changes were made, why?

Fair points.  With regards to substitutions there may have been, last night at least, an eye towards extra time.  And before we get too pissed off with his 'late subs' lets not forget we've scored 4 goals in our last two games in minutes 75, 77, 80 and 90 so maybe he knows what he's doing.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #326: Nov 30, 2016 10:20:56 am
      Its funny how different people see or watch the game to each other isn't it. I thought we were dreadful last night but I suppose that makes me a 'bed wetter' and I'm not allowed to say it all because we won the match and are through to the next round.

For what its worth, here's my take on the game. I was bored shitless last night and was growing frustrated with the way we were playing. For me, Leeds were the better side. They had a couple of big chances which they should have buried and ultimately knocked us out. We might have dominated the possession but all I was seeing was sideways and backward passing, we weren't doing anything with the ball. Leeds were happy to sit behind the ball, because we weren't doing anything with it, and then counter or take chances from set pieces. I thought we were lucky, and I thought they were unlucky. Obviously the game would have been decided one way or another last night but if it was a league game, then I would say a draw would have been fair to both sides.

Im just happy we're through because I thought we were lucky to get away with that last night. The one thing I took from the game was that it is evident there are 3 or 4 players who aren't good enough for us, plain and simple.

Mignolet - He's one who isn't good enough. He made a decent save or two to be fair to him but his all round play is just awful. Leeds fired in a couple of decent free kicks/corners and he always stayed glued to his line. Doesn't command his box at all, doesn't give the back four any confidence. His distribution is f**king awful as well. He throws the ball out when he shouldn't and puts us under immediate pressure and then the exact reverse happens where he keeps hold of  the ball too long when he needs to hurry up and throw it out! My god he is the most annoying goalie ever.

Moreno - Is there a reason he thinks he is Roberto Carlos? Why does he insist on long range shots that always up going somewhere near the corner flag? I lost count how many times he was caught on the wrong side of his man and he offered f**k all going forward as usual. People think there is a player in him somewhere because he's quick. But if Usain Bolt played left back for us it doesn't mean he is a good footballer. Moreno is just bloody awful. The last straw for me was towards the end of the match were their right winger just seemed to brush him off with ease and get in front of him, Moreno went down like a sack of spuds looking for a free kick which wasn't given. I was always taught from a young age to play to the whistle but instead, Moreno stays down looking at the ref. Luckily Leeds didn't punish us, against better opposition and they probably would have. Moreno then gets up, the ref walks over to him and Moreno hobbles around limping putting an act on. Literally ten seconds later he was on the ball all fine again. F**k off.

Klavan - Thought he had a dodgy game. He wasn't terrible but I felt all game he was uncomfortable on the ball and he was quite hesitant. Gave possession away a few times.

Lucas - Steady Eddy at the back. Mr reliable. Hardly put a foot wrong.

TAA - Seeing some comments on here which are going a bit over the top in my opinion but its not uncommon to see that, it always happens with a young lad from the academy. Anyway, I thought he was very cautious and played far too safe, especially in the first half. Whenever he was picking the ball up he was looking to go backwards rather than forward. He was playing it too easy. Towards the end of the first half he put a free kick into the box which was a great delivery, the ball came back out to him and he put in another fine cross. That showed his quality a little bit.  Second half I thought he looked a bit better. He was looking to go forward more, maybe Jürgen had a word at half time? The cross for Origis goal was another great delivery, they are the sort of crosses you cant defend, it was a great assist. Overall performance? a 6/10 type game but some posters are making him out to be a 9 or 10.

Can - I think Can is awful. Similar to Moreno, is there a reason he thinks he is Zidane? Whats with all the constant step overs, drag backs, dummys, back heels and so on? He's not good enough for all that nonsense just keep it f**king simple. He gets tackled or gives the ball away too much. Very frustrating. His decision making is appalling too. No better than a squad player.

Stewart - Not good enough. He's had enough chances for us now I think, one or two games he has done alright, but overall he has not shown enough to warrant a place in our team. Last night was another example. Bit of a ghost/passenger, was just doing simple basic things that any 12 year old in the academy could do. Going short to get the ball off the centre half and then passing it back to them.

Ejaria - I thought our whole midfield was poor last night, Ejaria included. Struggled to make any sort of impact. I do think he has more to his game than Stewart though.

Wijnaldum - I saw a comment above that said something along the lines of you can notice the difference in his game when he is in our best 11 and our reserve team if you like. I couldn't agree more and was having the same conversation at the match last night.  Wijanldum is a pass and move player, he keeps the game flowing, keeps the ball moving. You can't do that playing in a team with players who aren't on your wave length. You can't get that out of Can or Stewart.  Put him in the side with Lallana, Hendo, Cout and so on and he flourishes. Quiet game for Wij last night but I do think his game is suited for players who know how to do a quick 1-2.

Mane - Against Sunderland he was having one of those games were everything was bouncing off his shin. He had another one of those games last night. Couple of games to forget for Sadio.

Origi - Took his goal well but I actually thought he had a poor game last night too! He was trying too hard and the crowd were getting frustrated that he wasnt pulling the trigger (not just him, it happened with a few other players too).  Origi was always trying one too many turns or one too many passes instead of just getting his shot on goal. I do love the amount of effort he puts in every time he plays for us though, you can see he wants that shirt. Good on him.

Woodburn - Great goal, burst the net. Youngest ever LFC scorer. Gave him motm for that alone.

To summarise, a good result but a poor display. Some players need to up their game if they want a career here, it wasn't good enough.  On to the next round...
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #327: Nov 30, 2016 10:35:05 am
      Again, Leeds replicated what Sunderland and Southampton did with the tactics. At least Leeds's bus moved on occasions and they put up a good performance and nearly scored and well done to Leeds. Not moaning at all with the performance, I am of the the opinion the lads did their best inspite of almost half the team consist of  2nd stringers and it's not easy for everyone to gel having such combination of players. The supporters did their part too by helping the lads over the finishing line.

I thought Mig did a reasonably good job with some saves while having some nervous situations as expected of. I'm surprise I said that but fair is fair. Nothing much to complain about the match except congrats to the lads for cruising into the last four and Woodburn would be an asset to the team. Saw some nice touches in him in the Sunderland's game even for that 2 or 3 minutes on the pitch. A little light weight at the moment but he will grow stronger as a player. Just side track a bit, that's where Stevie's experience will come in handy to guide these young players to achieve their full potential as he came through those ranks years ago.
      « Last Edit: Nov 30, 2016 10:49:26 am by redkop63 »
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #328: Nov 30, 2016 11:07:17 am
      Some right whoppers on here.

Doesn't seem like many of our players are good enough in the eyes of some!
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #329: Nov 30, 2016 11:43:23 am
      Some right whoppers on here.

Doesn't seem like many of our players are good enough in the eyes of some!

Presume this is aimed at me. And no, I don't think Mignolet, Moreno, Stewart and possibly Can are good enough for us.

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #330: Nov 30, 2016 11:58:38 am
      Presume this is aimed at me. And no, I don't think Mignolet, Moreno, Stewart and possibly Can are good enough for us.

Apart from Can mate they are back up players and did a job last night.
      For example which team in the league has a back up keeper as good as Migs?

I doubt we have the resources to have 2 full A teams available.

Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #331: Nov 30, 2016 12:08:30 pm
      Its funny how different people see or watch the game to each other isn't it. I thought we were dreadful last night but I suppose that makes me a 'bed wetter' and I'm not allowed to say it all because we won the match and are through to the next round. 

;D

Ignore it. It's all part of the 'I'm a better supporter than you' malarkey.

I only saw the highlights in the end so cannot really comment, and will add we did play a much weakened side so we probably can't read too much into it, even though some go on about how brilliant our squad is. Obviously, I think the squad could be bolsterd with a bit more quality but that's by the by...

However, after watching Southampton and Sunderland I am wondering where to next (I hope that's not seen as a negative btw). I think we've dipped in energy, intensity and ideas, yet we're still winning! Which is good obviously. And this could be down to a combination of things - most notably how teams have come to defend against us. Stemming our fluidity and attack. Throw in a couple of injuries on top of that in the attacking department, and we could be grinding out results more in the foreseeable as opposed to blowing teams away like we did earlier on in the season.

Even though we haven't been at our best, we've plugged away but games feel a lot closer now than they did before, I just hope we can keep grinding these results out because our opponents recently have really tried to stifle the sh*t out of us. And as I said before, these games will likely hinge on the brilliance of an individual more so than phases of attacking play.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #332: Nov 30, 2016 12:31:20 pm
      ;D

Ignore it. It's all part of the 'I'm a better supporter than you' malarkey.

I only saw the highlights in the end so cannot really comment, and will add we did play a much weakened side so we probably can't read too much into it, even though some go on about how brilliant our squad is. Obviously, I think the squad could be bolsterd with a bit more quality but that's by the by...

However, after watching Southampton and Sunderland I am wondering where to next (I hope that's not seen as a negative btw). I think we've dipped in energy, intensity and ideas, yet we're still winning! Which is good obviously. And this could be down to a combination of things - most notably how teams have come to defend against us. Stemming our fluidity and attack. Throw in a couple of injuries on top of that in the attacking department, and we could be grinding out results more in the foreseeable as opposed to blowing teams away like we did earlier on in the season.

Even though we haven't been at our best, we've plugged away but games feel a lot closer now than they did before, I just hope we can keep grinding these results out because our opponents recently have really tried to stifle the sh*t out of us. And as I said before, these games will likely hinge on the brilliance of an individual more so than phases of attacking play.

There is no doubt we need at least two signing in January mate to inject come vital energy in to the squad for the second half of the campaign.

Hopefully we can sign Pulisic and another young striker to provide extra attack options.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #333: Nov 30, 2016 12:32:34 pm
      I thought we were dreadful last night

We weren't great. Toss up between that and the Man Utd game for worst home performance.

I'm not allowed to say it all because we won the match and are through to the next round.

Well you just did say it so you're obviously allowed!

Mignolet - He's one who isn't good enough. He made a decent save or two to be fair to him but his all round play is just awful.

He's not good enough.  Same story as it's always been with him.  Shots that he doesn't know much about he can get a hand on and tip it away for a corner.  When he has time to think ie. set pieces he flaps at corners and dawdles back towards goal when he's just given a sh*t pass to his right back (Leeds hitting the post).

I just don't think he has much game awareness and that's not going to be trained into him now.  In his interest he probably wants to leave in January before people forget about him but in our interest we need him as a backup till we either get Danny Ward back or bring someone else in.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #334: Nov 30, 2016 12:40:23 pm
      Apart from Can mate they are back up players and did a job last night.
      For example which team in the league has a back up keeper as good as Migs?

I doubt we have the resources to have 2 full A teams available.

They got the result needed but the performance was poor in my opinion. We scraped through. I expect our backup players to be pushing our first teamers for a shirt and I didn't see any of that last night.
      Kopite78
      Reply #335: Nov 30, 2016 12:52:53 pm
      They got the result needed but the performance was poor in my opinion. We scraped through. I expect our backup players to be pushing our first teamers for a shirt and I didn't see any of that last night.

You wouldn't usually throw 3/4/5 into a "big" league game normally though would you?  The Utd squads under Fergie were full of players who you probably call 'not good enough', the likes of O'Shea, Fletcher, Brown, Anderson... the list is endless but when one or two came in they did a job
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #336: Nov 30, 2016 01:16:58 pm
      We have kept 3 consecutive clean sheets. 3 clean sheets! Get in!!!
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #337: Nov 30, 2016 01:33:03 pm
      Another typical cup game for me.
      We huffed and puffed against a pretty physical side that were prepared to defend deep and run themselves into the ground to deny us space, but we kept plugging away and opened them up eventually.

Well done to Woodburn.
      rossyred

• 9,094 posts | 1632 
      Reply #338: Nov 30, 2016 05:38:41 pm

I Will throw Wijnaldum into that mix although I think Can develop into a good player if he listens and learns .
      rossyred

• 9,094 posts | 1632 
      Reply #339: Nov 30, 2016 05:40:32 pm
      I Will throw Wijnaldum into that mix although I think Can develop into a good player if he listens and learns .

Sorry meant Can , can develop
      harrydunn08

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Reply #340: Dec 01, 2016 05:51:19 pm
      Anyone know the injury situation ahead of Sunday?  Will any of Lallana, Studge, or Firmino be back?  Is Origi injured? 

Sorry if this is available somewhere, I've been slammed at work and haven't had much chance to catch up on my team news.....
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #341: Dec 01, 2016 06:15:34 pm
      Anyone know the injury situation ahead of Sunday?  Will any of Lallana, Studge, or Firmino be back?  Is Origi injured? 

Sorry if this is available somewhere, I've been slammed at work and haven't had much chance to catch up on my team news.....

Lallana is back training, Firmino and Origi are fine but no news on Studge which probably means he is still crocked.
      harrydunn08

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Reply #342: Dec 01, 2016 06:20:04 pm
      Lallana is back training, Firmino and Origi are fine but no news on Studge which probably means he is still crocked.

Thanks!  I'm happy with a front 4 of Lallana, Mane, Firmino, and Origi. 
      Class
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 310 posts | 82 
      Reply #343: Dec 01, 2016 06:38:06 pm
      Fook it I'll say it I miss having Leeds around even if they have more than their fair share of cu*ts supporting them. Atmosphere was fantastic and they more than held their own  in that department. I'd rather have them than no marks like Bournemouth or Hull any day of the week.

Having said that I think we weren't all that great it just boiled down to us having better players than them. Credit to Garry Monk because he's milking all he can from that squad right now.

But hey 3 clean sheets in a row, a cup semi-final on the way and a goal from young Woodburn. I can't complain about that. YNWA
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #344: Dec 01, 2016 11:25:48 pm
      That was a dodgy enough game last night but we got the result and that's all that counts. Considering the amount of changes Klopp made and the youth he played we did extremely well and well done to young Woodburn , he knows where the onion bag is and right on front of the Kop too.

Quick Reply