Read 25347 times
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Re: Liverpool 4-1 Stoke City: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #437: Dec 28, 2016 12:39:07 am
      Studge also missed a tap-in today, one that would easily scored by Origi given his recent performances.

I'm glad you mentioned the Bournemouth game. Because I'm sure you remember the tap in Origi messed up because he virtually fell over his own feet.
      Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Reply #438: Dec 28, 2016 12:46:43 am
      Once again a team tries to play us at our own game (pressing, energy etc) but just don't have the legs to keep it going. We certainly seem to have more character now, and the belief to keep going, knowing it will come.

Went for Hendo as my MOTM, think he is really looking like a captain now, and keeps us going.

I know a few times people comment how Jürgen is often slow to make substitutions, but he does seem to make the most of the half time break and we often see a much better second half than first.
      green_bear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,042 posts | 289 
      Reply #439: Dec 28, 2016 04:33:23 am
      I'm glad you mentioned the Bournemouth game. Because I'm sure you remember the tap in Origi messed up because he virtually fell over his own feet.

So both strikers have had their brilliant and awful moments then. There's no need to slag one off in order to defend the other. Origi has had significant contributions ever since Coutinho got injured yet many still fail to acknowledge that.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #440: Dec 28, 2016 05:37:08 am
      Mignolet: his positioning and weak hand for Stoke's goal was his only major mistake, and it could have been a costly one had Stoke have managed to squeeze another in, in that opening period when we were at 6's and 7's at the back. Mig's did make a decent save from chicken Allen's shot and everything else he did was solid enough. 6

Clyne: solid defensively as usual, the "machine" got up and down the flanks it's just a shame he lacks the panache in the final third. Clyne gave Mane an earful for allowing their wide man to cross in for Walters' goal. 6.5

Milner: similar to Clyne he was very industrious up and down the flanks, defended well and found himself in some good positions in the final third. Seemed to carry more of a threat than Clyne going forward with a couple of sighters on goal. 7

Lovren: started the game poorly in my opinion, and is certainly no leader at the back. When the defense was at 6's and 7's and at the mercy of the preying mantis (Peter Crouch), Lovren was pretty much all at sea. Himself and Klavan really struggled with Walters and Crouch, and Lovren's positional sense at times leaves a lot to be desired. Speaking of Walters, Lovren was guilty of ball watching as Walters ran across him to head in at Mignolet's near post. The Croatian did get better as the game went on, largely because the team managed to control the game and get on the front foot. But when it's time to baton down the hatches he does seem to be a bit of worry. 6

Klavan: didn't look quite as composed as he usually does, especially in the opening half hour, their two forwards asked some serious questions of him and Lovren. 6

Henderson: thought this was one of his poorer performances. The industry was there as usual but the passing was off today, the amount of times his passing went wayward in this game wasn't good enough for a player known for playing the percentage passes. 6

Gini: had an okay game in midfield and offered his usual slick neat passing, he did find it difficult like most to get into the match early on but worked his arse off. 6.5

Lallana: so good at flitting between the lines, scored a crucial goal from a tight angle, and always looked to make something happen. 7

Firmino: the much maligned drink driver who some were hell bent on wanting dropped. It was good that Klopp saw common sense and allowed legal proceedings to run their course. He has gone off the boil, no doubt about that but we're thin with options right now.

Funnily, the excuses made for Bobby now (playing wide), were the exact same criticisms Sturridge came in for with his cameo wide role against Burnley. When fluidity was the buzzword Sturridge should have performed better. Now that Firmino is wide, that's his excuse for fading. However, credit to Firmino to put Christmas Eve behind him, to come on, and take a really nice goal. That will do him good. 7

Origi: struggled to get in the game, made an assist of the o.g. 6

Mane: another industrious display from the African. Looks our most likely at times, works hard and puts himself about. Carries a real threat and was a thorn in Stoke's side. 7

Sturridge: what an introduction, had the instinct in opportunity to pick up Shawcrosses back pass, control and then drag it round the keeper to neatly finish off a gift from Stoke. Good twenty minutes that from Studge.7
      weshall_kop
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 300 posts | 13 
      Reply #441: Dec 28, 2016 05:42:45 am

3 points and still breathing fire down Chelsea's neck

With a six point gap that too this league its more like the Breast/Chest area. Hope they loose 3..4 in a row :depressed:.   

AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,508 posts | 1474 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #442: Dec 28, 2016 08:47:51 am
      Apparently a new distance covered record for us in this match? And people think we are slowing down.....  :f_whistle:
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #443: Dec 28, 2016 08:53:11 am
      One of my favourite videos of the year. The way everyone rises and starts jumping and singing. What a sight.

https://www.facebook.com/thisisanfieldlfc/videos/10154072873245846/?pnref=story

(Can't find a version to embed it on the page so you'll have to click and watch)
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #444: Dec 28, 2016 08:56:30 am
      With the Stoke goal I have sympathy with Migs in that his attention was taken by Crouchy hence why he was stood 'out of position'.

If the ball came to Crouch and Migs was by the near post he'd be out of position then too.

Don't get me wrong a better keeper would probably move his feet quicker and perform quite a routine save, but its too easy to say he got his positioning wrong because he was covering the likely ball in.

I think he has to keep his place for a while now, he made a really good save to keep them to 1 which surprised me really because I thought he'd go mentally missin like the old days. He's not the answer long term though.

Anyhow, once we got going we smashed them really. It was a pretty impressive performance and by the end of the game Stoke had seen enough and just wanted to go home.

Lastly, I have a moan about Clyne sometimes but hes a big upgrade on Glen Johnson!
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #445: Dec 28, 2016 10:04:33 am
      So both strikers have had their brilliant and awful moments then. There's no need to slag one off in order to defend the other. Origi has had significant contributions ever since Coutinho got injured yet many still fail to acknowledge that.

Im not slagging either off but you can't use a goal from a game one scored but ignore the horrendous miss in the same game from the same player when trying to justify something against what another player done.

bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,543 posts | 1666 
      • YNWA
      Reply #446: Dec 28, 2016 10:17:30 am
      Mignolet: his positioning and weak hand for Stoke's goal was his only major mistake, and it could have been a costly one had Stoke have managed to squeeze another in, in that opening period when we were at 6's and 7's at the back. Mig's did make a decent save from chicken Allen's shot and everything else he did was solid enough. 6

Clyne: solid defensively as usual, the "machine" got up and down the flanks it's just a shame he lacks the panache in the final third. Clyne gave Mane an earful for allowing their wide man to cross in for Walters' goal. 6.5

Milner: similar to Clyne he was very industrious up and down the flanks, defended well and found himself in some good positions in the final third. Seemed to carry more of a threat than Clyne going forward with a couple of sighters on goal. 7

Lovren: started the game poorly in my opinion, and is certainly no leader at the back. When the defense was at 6's and 7's and at the mercy of the preying mantis (Peter Crouch), Lovren was pretty much all at sea. Himself and Klavan really struggled with Walters and Crouch, and Lovren's positional sense at times leaves a lot to be desired. Speaking of Walters, Lovren was guilty of ball watching as Walters ran across him to head in at Mignolet's near post. The Croatian did get better as the game went on, largely because the team managed to control the game and get on the front foot. But when it's time to baton down the hatches he does seem to be a bit of worry. 6

Klavan: didn't look quite as composed as he usually does, especially in the opening half hour, their two forwards asked some serious questions of him and Lovren. 6

Henderson: thought this was one of his poorer performances. The industry was there as usual but the passing was off today, the amount of times his passing went wayward in this game wasn't good enough for a player known for playing the percentage passes. 6

Gini: had an okay game in midfield and offered his usual slick neat passing, he did find it difficult like most to get into the match early on but worked his arse off. 6.5

Lallana: so good at flitting between the lines, scored a crucial goal from a tight angle, and always looked to make something happen. 7

Firmino: the much maligned drink driver who some were hell bent on wanting dropped. It was good that Klopp saw common sense and allowed legal proceedings to run their course. He has gone off the boil, no doubt about that but we're thin with options right now.

Funnily, the excuses made for Bobby now (playing wide), were the exact same criticisms Sturridge came in for with his cameo wide role against Burnley. When fluidity was the buzzword Sturridge should have performed better. Now that Firmino is wide, that's his excuse for fading. However, credit to Firmino to put Christmas Eve behind him, to come on, and take a really nice goal. That will do him good. 7

Origi: struggled to get in the game, made an assist of the o.g. 6

Mane: another industrious display from the African. Looks our most likely at times, works hard and puts himself about. Carries a real threat and was a thorn in Stoke's side. 7

Sturridge: what an introduction, had the instinct in opportunity to pick up Shawcrosses back pass, control and then drag it round the keeper to neatly finish off a gift from Stoke. Good twenty minutes that from Studge.7

Pretty much agree with this, and w.r.t. Origi, thought he had a few good moments in the first half were he laid the ball off with good passes, and setup the 3rd, but apart from that, not sure Studge wouldn't have been an upgrade to the starting XI. We'll see how Klopp feels about it come the weekend.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #447: Dec 28, 2016 10:53:03 am
      If Studge is now back and fit plus Couts coming back soon then we may not miss Mane as much as I'd initially feared, we are incredibly potent in attack and more solid in defence, its a nice combination.

Bring on Citeh, I really fancy us to win that game, but you never know with Citeh, if they bring their A game then it will be tricky, if not I predict a big score line to us.
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #448: Dec 28, 2016 11:20:21 am
      I thought we played brilliantly, put it this way we can't be brilliant for 90 minutes. Not going to mention the negatives after that impressive scoreline. Ok,  there were some sloppy passes along the way but expected in a game of 90 mins. But we are very very difficult to play against at the moment because I would believe we are much fitter than many of the oppositions while the opposition couldn't figure out whom to mark and who are the dangermen without going into details.

Looking at the scoreline it looks as though everyone of our players from midfield and beyond are dangerous. Bring on Man City, we stop Silva and Aguero we would most probably cause City to come to a halt. We have most probably caused a lot of broken hearts of our competitors that I'm sure expect and wanted us to drop points, well we didn;t. Klopp and the lads are very focussed at the moment and let's keep the pressure on Chelsea, they'll slip at some point of time.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #449: Dec 28, 2016 11:22:51 am
      My ratings:

Migs: Poor for the goal, off the right hand AND the near post so the defence has every right to expect him to do better. Other than that very good I thought, one really good save from wee Joe and caught/commanded well. Comfortably number one for me at the moment, although I wouldn't be gutted if we signed another keeper. 7/10.

Clyne: Thought he was excellent and a little unlucky going forward in that the one or two good balls he did put in weren't anticipated by the front guys. Top quality full back though, rarely injured, English, youngish, not expensive. A great buy. 7/10.

Klavan: Thought he did OK but he and Lovren's communication left a lot to be desired. The first goal being the prime example, Klavan had Walters who drifts onto Lovren and there appears to be no passing on from the Estonian. Little moments like that decide matches, he needs to be more vocal, but other than did OK. 6/10.

Lovren: Thrown under a bus a little for the goal in that Walters just appears in front of him without being passed on**, then Migs doesn't make what ought to be a straightforward save. Worryingly after that he went a bit haywire for a quarter of an hour, but unlike in days gone by he pulled it back together and was imperious second half. 7/10.

** I did see Lovren accused of "ballwatching" which on this occasion at least isn't accurate. Walters actually comes initially from behind him (as Klavan has him) and with Lovren being the result of millions of years of human evolution he can't see him. He needs a big shout from Klavan/Migs but either doesn't get it or doesn't hear it, from watching the slowmo I think it's the former.

Milner: What a footballer this lad is. All talk of his wages, what an awful transfer he was etc has long since dried up. A right footed midfielder playing left back and he's doing it superbly. A great pro who gives so much to the team each and every game, probably my favourite Liverpool player at the moment, if I were the type to buy a shirt (I aren't) it'd have "Milner" on the back. 8/10.

Hendo: Thought he was very good. Passing was off at first but he worked away at it, got over his disappointment and finished the game off strongly. Excellent performance. 8/10.

Wijnaldum: Does the "unseen" work so well that I didn't see it. Flitted in and out though and appeared to be doing alright. 6/10.

Lallana: Head and shoulders the best player on the pitch, he's even starting to look cheap at 25 million quid. 9/10.

Bobby: Was awful first half until his goal, really really bad. Took his goal well though and you could see the relief on his face (what was that the first goal or assist for seven or eight games or so? so you can't blame the fella). Second half I thought he improved a fair bit. 7/10.   

Origi: I thought he did pretty well TBH, some good lay offs and stuff. 7/10.

Mane: Worked away at it and was always a thorn in their side, we'll miss him when he's poncing about in the African nations. 8/10.

Subs:

Sturridge: Oozed class for the 20 minutes he was on, I hope he did enough to start against Citeh.

Can: Ran around a lot.

Moreno: Taxi!
      Joey B
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,664 posts | 46 
      Reply #450: Dec 28, 2016 12:40:05 pm
      I have and probably always will be a Hendo fan.That said (and meant)I found it rather frustrated with his passing of late.Butch Wilkins comes to mind (square balls that did little)A few games back he was "spraying" balls around (delightful)and making a difference.The frustration that I felt yesterday was the amount of time a 10 yard pass to i.e. Lovren/Klavan was the "norm"Right NOT a rant but an observation.
      Great result and can't wait for the weekend & Citeh.

IJKWT.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #451: Dec 28, 2016 12:42:44 pm
      I have and probably always will be a Hendo fan.That said (and meant)I found it rather frustrated with his passing of late.Butch Wilkins comes to mind (square balls that did little)A few games back he was "spraying" balls around (delightful)and making a difference.The frustration that I felt yesterday was the amount of time a 10 yard pass to i.e. Lovren/Klavan was the "norm"Right NOT a rant but an observation.
      Great result and can't wait for the weekend & Citeh.

IJKWT.

Must be annoying when he plays a great ball in behind the defence to Origi for him to play it across the box which results in a goal for us.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #452: Dec 28, 2016 02:29:45 pm
      If Studge is now back and fit plus Couts coming back soon then we may not miss Mane as much as I'd initially feared

I'd say it'll be a consolation that Couts and Studge is back mate, but Mane has added so much to our game this year. I always rated him, but honestly did not expect him to gel so seemlesly and make us so much more dynamic up front. I think we'll miss him more than we realize even with Studge coming in.

On the positive side, we seemed to have adapted to missing our main man, even if it did take a game or two, so maybe this is another good test of the depth and the system in the team.
      Danzel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,305 posts | 1113 
      Reply #453: Dec 28, 2016 03:55:29 pm
      With the Stoke goal I have sympathy with Migs in that his attention was taken by Crouchy hence why he was stood 'out of position'.

If the ball came to Crouch and Migs was by the near post he'd be out of position then too.

Don't get me wrong a better keeper would probably move his feet quicker and perform quite a routine save, but its too easy to say he got his positioning wrong because he was covering the likely ball in.

Thank God, someone who gets why he was in the position he was in when we conceded the goal. He was indeed worried about Crouch at the far post, as he should be (you can see him shouting to our defenders). There was a Stoke player coming through the middle too (I think it was Allen). He was covering his options.

- If Pieters doesn't get a good cross in, his position allows him to come out and collect it
      - If it goes to the far post, he has enough time to get there
      - If it goes to Allen (not likely) he has both corners covered

That cross should never be allowed to come so easy and Lovren didn't even look over his shoulder to see if anyone was coming. He should never be beaten that easily. As a goalkeeper you rely on your FB to cut out crosses and on your CB to cover that first zone. He just can do no good to all the goalkeeping and positioning experts saying he should have saved it. We've come to a point where every goal he concedes is savable and his fault. Just a shame he couldn't get a stronger hand on it or the same people would be branding it a world class reflex.

He really looks much more assured and calm between the sticks and he has been doing well, credit to Simon.

As for the game, annoyed when we conceded, but I never paniced. We just stick to the game plan and we know the goals will come. Henderson was my MOTM, closely followed by Origi and Mane.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #454: Dec 28, 2016 03:56:38 pm

I know a few times people comment how Jürgen is often slow to make substitutions, but he does seem to make the most of the half time break and we often see a much better second half than first.

Like this. It fits in with his policy on transfers, where he would rather coach and develop players to perform at a top level, rather than simply buying a new player every time there is a perceived inadequacy in the squad, the way some supposedly "great" managers do. In the same way, Klopp would rather work with the player in the starting XI and get them to turn on the style rather than just yank him out at the half. Does he follow this approach to a fault? Probably. But it has to contribute to the overall harmony of the squad where players feel the boss will work with them over the short and long term.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #455: Dec 28, 2016 03:59:22 pm
      Wijnaldum: Does the "unseen" work so well that I didn't see it.

:lmao:

You and me both for a change Mick :nod:
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #456: Dec 28, 2016 05:43:34 pm
      Thank God, someone who gets why he was in the position he was in when we conceded the goal.

Sunday league goalkeeper see ;)
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #457: Dec 29, 2016 08:39:38 am
      Just heard Sky gave Bobby MOTM to get him on camera? Sneaky cu*ts.

Studge stepped up, instead. Good man.
      Kopite78
      Reply #458: Dec 29, 2016 08:43:47 am
      Just heard Sky gave Bobby MOTM to get him on camera? Sneaky cu*ts.

Studge stepped up, instead. Good man.

And the skipper

They just took it and walked off
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Reply #459: Dec 29, 2016 11:03:03 am
      That dickhead Mark Hughes still can't keep his mouth shut. Ran his mouth before the game and now he is saying that other teams will look at how we couldn't deal them playing 2 up top and will copy it.

Aye it worked so well you scored a grand total of 1 goal and conceded 4 you F***ing dickhead! Shouldn't expect any less from an ex manc moron.

Quick Reply