Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Liverpool history (youth squad) trivia help?

Read 2034 times
      klopphomie92
      • On Trial
      • Started Topic

• 3 posts |
      Liverpool history (youth squad) trivia help?
      Jan 03, 2017 09:45:50 pm
      Hi everyone!

My Dad's hitting a big birthday next month and I spent my childhood with him on Row 76 of The Kop. I'm trying to make him a huge LFC compendium, which has taken me an age, but I don't know for love nor money where I can find the past history of the youth team squad (I'm looking at '85-'95 in particular). Can anyone help me out?

*You'll Never Walk Alone*

Cheers!
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Re: Liverpool history (youth squad) trivia help?
      Reply #1: Jan 03, 2017 11:07:30 pm
      Pre Academy (1998) might be hard to find information online.  I know we won the Central League (the old name for LFC Reserves) a couple of times in the years you specified but back in those days (when you could only use one or three subs) the reserve side was made up of a lot more senior players.

If you wanted to look up players who were youth players during those years you might be better looking at local LFC players who played for the reds between 88 and 98 and working backwards.

Apart from that, hope my young man grows up like you! Sounds like a terrific effort!
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #2: Jan 04, 2017 07:50:31 am
      I think in those days the lads played in the Central Lancs Junior League at youth level so try those archives.

Also check the FA Youth Trophy records and British Schoolboy level via the relevant National FAs.  For the English players check the Lillishall records as that's where they trained.

Best of luck mate.

klopphomie92
      • On Trial
      • Started Topic

• 3 posts |
      Reply #3: Jan 04, 2017 04:31:28 pm
      Thanks so much, that's really helpful! Trying to get some squad photos which is proving to be a mare haha. Fingers crossed!

Pre Academy (1998) might be hard to find information online.  I know we won the Central League (the old name for LFC Reserves) a couple of times in the years you specified but back in those days (when you could only use one or three subs) the reserve side was made up of a lot more senior players.

If you wanted to look up players who were youth players during those years you might be better looking at local LFC players who played for the reds between 88 and 98 and working backwards.

Apart from that, hope my young man grows up like you! Sounds like a terrific effort!
      klopphomie92
      • On Trial
      • Started Topic

• 3 posts |
      Reply #4: Jan 04, 2017 04:32:12 pm
      Cheers mate, that's really useful. Trawling through as we speak!

I think in those days the lads played in the Central Lancs Junior League at youth level so try those archives.

Also check the FA Youth Trophy records and British Schoolboy level via the relevant National FAs.  For the English players check the Lillishall records as that's where they trained.

Best of luck mate.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,250 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #5: Jan 04, 2017 07:03:43 pm
      Hi everyone!

My Dad's hitting a big birthday next month and I spent my childhood with him on Row 76 of The Kop. I'm trying to make him a huge LFC compendium, which has taken me an age, but I don't know for love nor money where I can find the past history of the youth team squad (I'm looking at '85-'95 in particular). Can anyone help me out?

*You'll Never Walk Alone*

Cheers!

These guys on twitter have a vast resource of images, they may be able to help.

@LFCHistoryShow
      paulow63
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 648 posts | 83 
      Reply #6: Jan 05, 2017 11:54:31 am
      These guys on twitter have a vast resource of images, they may be able to help.

@LFCHistoryShow
      Only photo I've seen on the web is the team including Steve MacManaman winning the NI Milk Cup in 1988.  I'll have a look at my old programmes to see if there's any youth articles from that era.

Other avenues, and you've most probably tried them anyway are to visit the library in Liverpool to look at archives and old books or subscribe for about a tenner to the British Newspaper archives where there are millions of old articles.

Good luck with your work.

Quick Reply