Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Joel Matip withdrawn from squad due to FIFA/Cameroon confusion

Read 7608 times
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Re: Joel Matip withdrawn from squad due to FIFA/Cameroon confusion
      Reply #23: Jan 16, 2017 06:53:12 pm
      Screw FIFA, screw Cameroon FA.

Sorted.

Oh and screw the scum and the FA just for good measure.

Finally we agree on something :-)
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,147 posts | 1619 
      Reply #24: Jan 16, 2017 07:06:02 pm
      Absolute joke. Personally I'd play him, I really don't see how you can be forced to work for someone if you don't want to.

F**k FIFA and Cameroon, gobshites.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #25: Jan 16, 2017 07:24:42 pm
      Absolute joke. Personally I'd play him, I really don't see how you can be forced to work for someone if you don't want to.

F**k FIFA and Cameroon, gobshites.

Actually, FIFA would come down on the FA and you know the FA aren't going to stand up for one of its clubs against FIFA, especially not us. Just another example of how corrupt the world game is anymore.

What makes it worse is that Mourinho after the match said part of why he decided to start playing so direct is because he knew Matip wasn't available to defend against high balls. He's said he didn't want to play and they named him to the squad anyway - which tells me that the coach he fell out with just wanted to do him wrong. Starts to look like forced labor at this point. Somebody get Sakho's lawyer on the case.

hoganov
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,709 posts | 162 
      Reply #26: Jan 17, 2017 12:02:17 am
      I'm finding it hard understand this. Are Cameroon basically acting like children if he won't play for us then he ain't playing for ye kind of thing?? Absolute horseshit if you ask me. Just goes to show you how fu**ed up an organisation FIFA is. Do your F***ing job!!
      leosc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,011 posts | 273 
      • Poetry in motion!
      Reply #27: Jan 17, 2017 02:01:57 am
      I say play him. He wasn't in the squad for the AFC so I can't see what they can do really.

It would had been a completely different scenario if he had been called to play and refused to go but since he wasn't on the list he has the right to play as one other player from Cameroon not currently playing with the national team.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,081 posts | 805 
      Reply #28: Jan 17, 2017 02:19:11 pm
      Klopp just said that Matip won't play against Plymouth because his hands are tied with this bullshit of a ruling.

shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #29: Jan 17, 2017 02:36:36 pm
      How the F**k in todays day & age you can force someone to play against their will?..

Purely childish from Cameroon...
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,464 posts | 228 
      Reply #30: Jan 17, 2017 02:55:46 pm
      More on what Klopp said

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/250776-Jürgen-klopp-s-update-on-joel-matip
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,116 posts | 4882 
      Reply #31: Jan 17, 2017 04:19:56 pm
      Am I missing something here?

Joel said ages ago he didn't want to be selected.

He wasn't picked in the squad.

So why the F**k are we in this situation now with FIFA?
      AZPatriot
      • Started Topic

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #32: Jan 17, 2017 05:08:52 pm

So why the f**k are we in this situation now with FIFA?

I don't know Si...I do know that a few years ago he had a big falling out with the Cameroon manager and has not played/wanted to play since....that being said Joel probably rues the day he chose Cameroon vs Germany when both wanted him for they're national team.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #33: Jan 17, 2017 05:20:56 pm

So why the f**k are we in this situation now with FIFA?

This has to be an infringement of Matip's civil liberties and human rights, you cannot be forced to play for your national team. If I was him I would immediately renounce my citizenship and apply to be German or British, then lets see what Fifa and Cameroon do. I'm slightly dissapointed with Liverpool being pussies over this, I'd take both Fifa and Cameroon to court over this and sue them, escalate it all the way to European courts if needed. Anything to do with infringement of human rights is an easy win and this is a blatant case where a human being is having his human rights infringed, far more so than the Bosman ruling.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #34: Jan 17, 2017 05:47:31 pm
      You'd think that after the way we were messed around with the whole Sakho drug incident, they would be a bit more inclined to get this sorted sooner rather than later.

Just play him, doing nothing wrong. He's not played for them for well over a year and they didn't include him in the final 23 man squad so they are acknowledging that he isn't available for them.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #35: Jan 17, 2017 06:36:53 pm
      I get that people think it's a load of tosh and say play him but the consequences of doing so could hit us hard.

For example, if he plays tomorrow we could be expelled from the FA Cup, not just this season but possibly next as well.  If he plays in a league game we could have points deducted, possibly as many as 10.  Do you really want to jeopardise European football next season and/or the possibility of winning the Title?  We could also face a hefty fine and he could also face a long ban, possibly the rest of the season.

Whilst this is unresolved, he's an ineligible player and we would be treated the same as any other club for fielding him as such.

The International retirement thing is an agreement between the player and the national manager.  Matip had that agreement with the old manager after they fell out but he doesn't have it with the new one and he made it quite clear that even if he wasn't selected, he wouldn't be eligible to play for his club whilst Cameroon were still involved in the tournament.  That is why FIFA are saying we have to sort it with their FA.  FIFA only get involved if he plays club football and Cameroon make a complaint.

It's sh*t but them's the rules and as an ex Club Secretary you can't just play an ineligible player because you don't agree with them and expect to get away with it.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #36: Jan 17, 2017 08:08:47 pm
      We must surely have Sakho's lawyers still on the books?
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #37: Jan 17, 2017 08:10:50 pm
      Can't he do a William Gallas and threaten to score an own goal ;D
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #38: Jan 17, 2017 08:13:43 pm
      We must surely have Sakho's lawyers still on the books?

Wouldn't there be some sort of conflict of interest considering how we're trying to get rid of Sakho?
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #39: Jan 17, 2017 08:14:24 pm
      He's our player, we pay his wages so F**k FIFA and F**k the Cameroon team. He should threaten them with retirement.
      AZPatriot
      • Started Topic

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #40: Jan 17, 2017 08:48:54 pm
      He's our player, we pay his wages so f**k FIFA and f**k the Cameroon team. He should threaten them with retirement.

He already stated that he has retired from international football.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #41: Jan 17, 2017 09:13:35 pm
      Wouldn't there be some sort of conflict of interest considering how we're trying to get rid of Sakho?

Why.........Lawyers are not usually employees, so I doubt Sakho has sole right, but contractors and work for anyone wanting to employ them.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #42: Jan 18, 2017 12:03:26 am
      He already stated that he has retired from international football.

Incredible, absolutely shameful behaviour from the Cameroon FA.
      DaktionLFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,084 posts | 84 
      Reply #43: Jan 18, 2017 05:15:48 am
      Jürgen Klopp will consult Liverpool’s lawyers over whether to select Joël Matip at Plymouth Argyle amid concern the defender’s inclusion could result in the club’s expulsion from the FA Cup.

The Liverpool manager is in the farcical position of needing legal advice over his team selection for the third-round replay having failed to get clarification from Fifa or the Cameroon football federation over Matip’s eligibility.

Liverpool forced to withdraw Joël Matip from Manchester United fixture by Fifa
      Matip was not selected in Cameroon’s final 23-man squad for the Africa Cup of Nations and, as far as Liverpool are concerned, retired from international football in 2015. But the club have not received confirmation the defender can play for Liverpool during the tournament without threat of sanction, prompting his withdrawal from the squad who faced Manchester United at Old Trafford last Sunday.

i feel for the boss.  the guy just wants to train his team and put his best foot forward.  guy cant even do that without lawyers trying to figure out if they would be kicked out of the FA cup for selecting their own player that they are paying his wages for

holy sh*t batman.  what an absolute joke
      ruthcity

• 6,868 posts | 1465 
      Reply #44: Jan 18, 2017 07:59:58 am
      holy sh*t batman.  what an absolute joke

No laughing matter. FIFA sells broadcast rights for an event worth millions of dollars which promises excitement and top players. All of a sudden players decide to boycott the event and jeopardize FIFA's position. If this event is boycotted by all of the world's top players, the competition's value and FIFA's revenue will fall.

Who is to say you can choose not to participate in FIFA's event? FIFA. Bet they'd fight tooth and nail to prevent all of the world's top players from boycotting their... to be frank... millions of dollars.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #45: Jan 18, 2017 08:37:06 am
      The clubs have to take  back control of the players from FIFA,EUFA,and all football associations.We have had to put up with losing players for meaningless international matches for too long. Jürgen  Klopp is put in a terrible position over Matip and if there is the slightest doubt that there could be repercussions he has no choice but  not to select him for the Plymouth match.

Quick Reply