Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 18th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W9 D10 L12

Joel Matip withdrawn from squad due to FIFA/Cameroon confusion

Read 7651 times
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,189 posts | 6346 
      Re: Joel Matip withdrawn from squad due to FIFA/Cameroon confusion
      Reply #46: Jan 18, 2017 12:36:02 pm
      From what I have read, the issue is that Matip never announced his retirement in writing to the Cameroon FA. So they are in their rights to select him and if we selected him during AFCON we could be docked wins (FA Cup) or points (league title). So we are quite possibly screwed unless we get a ruling from FIFA telling us it's ok to pick him. He won't be played today, that's a fact.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #47: Jan 18, 2017 12:45:24 pm
      If the rule is that a player HAS to play for his country if called up despite them not wanting to play, although I find that almost impossible to believe in todays age of human rights for everyone down to the lowliest scumbag of a terrorist, then we and every other club just has to go along with it. Surely the simple solution then is for Joel to renounce his Cameroon citizenship and seek asylum in the UK, play fire with fire.

When does the African nations bollocks finish anyway, I want Mane back asap?
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #48: Jan 18, 2017 12:53:15 pm
      From what I have read, the issue is that Matip never announced his retirement in writing to the Cameroon FA. So they are in their rights to select him and if we selected him during AFCON we could be docked wins (FA Cup) or points (league title). So we are quite possibly screwed unless we get a ruling from FIFA telling us it's ok to pick him. He won't be played today, that's a fact.

Depends on your source but according to Pearce and the club he retired in 2015, but the issue again comes down to you can't ever really retire from International football.

There was an agreement in 2015 with the previous manager that he would not be selected.

With the current manager and their FA we don't have that agreement.

It is simply up to the Cameroon FA to accept he doesn't want to play for them, but seeing as though the brown paper bag has not reached them they are playing funny buggers.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #49: Jan 18, 2017 01:11:36 pm
      If the rule is that a player HAS to play for his country if called up despite them not wanting to play, although I find that almost impossible to believe in todays age of human rights for everyone down to the lowliest scumbag of a terrorist, then we and every other club just has to go along with it. Surely the simple solution then is for Joel to renounce his Cameroon citizenship and seek asylum in the UK, play fire with fire.

When does the African nations bollocks finish anyway, I want Mane back asap?

Not sure how well that would go down in Germany.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,071 posts | 2748 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #50: Jan 18, 2017 01:16:33 pm
      Play him.

FIFA throw us out of the cup, it wont be this year as we would take them to court and battle it out for a few months, as we and Matip in particular have strong cases, Matip could actually take this to the human rights courts as hes unfairly being prevented from working.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,189 posts | 6346 
      Reply #51: Jan 18, 2017 01:29:44 pm
      I'd be surprised if the club overlooked the necessity for him to formally retire by post mate.

It seems to be more a technical point that Cameroon are not willing to accept the resignation and that's where red tape complicates matters, again.

The reason for Joel Matip’s Cameroon dispute revealed in FIFA ruling

Jack Lusby on 18.01.2017

Joel Matip‘s current eligibility dispute may be due to the centre-back not officially writing a letter of his retirement to the Cameroon FA in 2015.

Liverpool manager JĂźrgen Klopp has been forced to omit Matip from his past two matchday squads, against Manchester United and Plymouth Argyle, over fears of a sanction from FIFA.

The 25-year-old withdrew himself from contention for this month’s Africa Cup of Nations, but FECAFOOT have not recognised his retirement.

This could, therefore, see FIFA suspend Matip for the duration of the tournament, keeping him out of action until mid-February, which would serve as a bitter blow to the Reds’ title hopes.

However, according to a FIFA ruling, Matip supposedly hasn’t submitted the required paperwork to FECAFOOT to announce his retirement from duty means he was “obliged” to heed their call-up.

FIFA ruling states that “any divergent agreement between a player and a club is prohibited,” though that “associations wishing to call up a player who is playing abroad must notify the player in writing at least 15 days before the day of the match for which he is required.

“The player’s club shall also be informed in writing at the same time. The club must confirm the release of the player within the following six days.

“Should he wish not to be called up for a certain match or matches or for a certain period of time, he must inform the association of which he is a national, in writing, of his intention before being called up.

“Furthermore, only the player himself is entitled to renounce representing his national team. This declaration shall be submitted by the player to the association concerned in writing.”

That FECAFOOT believe Matip didn’t inform them of his retirement in writing could lead to ramifications for Liverpool if he is then selected.

This is ruled to be “during the period for which he has been released or should have been released,” with this case meaning the duration of this winter’s AFCON.

Crucially, FIFA rules that if Matip is fielded during the dispute, this could affect Liverpool’s results:

“If a player who has been correctly called up but not released by his club plays for the latter during the period he should have been released, the Players’ Status Committee can ask the association where this club is affiliated to declare any match or matches in which the player participated as having been lost by the club concerned.”

Therefore, this could have enforced the Reds’ exit from the FA Cup if Matip helped his side secure victory at Home Park on Wednesday night, with Klopp instead deciding to leave him on Merseyside.

FIFA are due to decide whether to investigate Matip’s case on Friday, though Liverpool are adamant they are not at fault in this case, with the player’s retirement coming before his signing.

It is no surprise Matip should not wish to play for Cameroon, of course, with the 25-year-old citing a “bad experience with the previous technical staff” for his reason behind retiring.

In 2011, for example, Schalke refused to release Matip for an AFCON warmup after FECAFOOT were late submitting their own paperwork, while his nationality has been questioned in the past, too.

It seems that had Schalke advised Matip to make his retirement official with a written letter in 2015, all this could have been avoided.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #52: Jan 18, 2017 01:35:21 pm
      But... who exactly is it that is making a mountain out of this molehill?

By accounts Cameroon didn't name him in their A.C.O.N. squad anyhow: so how the F**k can we be breaking any rules?

I mean; surely no one is suggesting that any Cameroonian [Moroccan etc], not good enough to be picked to go to Africa, has to forego playing club football until the competition is over.

Who says we have to wait? Why the F**k did we even ask?   ;)  :laugh:

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,189 posts | 6346 
      Reply #53: Jan 18, 2017 01:38:59 pm
      But... who exactly is it that is making a mountain out of this molehill?

By accounts Cameroon didn't name him in their A.C.O.N. squad anyhow: so how the f**k can we be breaking any rules?

I mean; surely no one is suggesting that any Cameroonian [Moroccan etc], not good enough to be picked to go to Africa, has to forego playing club football until the competition is over.

Who says we have to wait? Why the f**k did we even ask? Feeling 'guilty' were we?   ;)  :laugh:

Didn't they end up naming him though. I  thought I saw something right before the tournament about their boss calling him up?

Edit*, no you are right, they left him off the 23.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #54: Jan 18, 2017 01:44:21 pm
      Didn't they end up naming him though. I  thought I saw something right before the tournament about their boss calling him up?

Edit*, no you are right, they left him off the 23.

So it follows that they either 1: knew he'd retired or 2: didn't deem him worthy as warranting a place.

Like I say - why the F**k did we even ask [fifa for clarification] and did we make this rod for our own back?   :-\
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #55: Jan 18, 2017 02:09:38 pm
      It was reported about a few weeks ago that he was in the process of writing a letter to the Cameroon FA. I wonder what happened for that not to happen? I'm not sure that even matters though considering they didn't select him. Unless they argue that Matip would have been selected had it not been for what he said to them.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,578 posts | 6916 
      Reply #56: Jan 18, 2017 02:40:59 pm
      I really don't see why we aren't playing him.  Cameroon didn't pick him in the squad. Case closed.

I'd love to see that case go to sports courts.

Cameroon didn't pick Jordan Henderson either but he's probably going to play tonight.  Whole situation is ludicrous.

Liverpool should have told FIFA to do one - actually the FA should have but you know.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,898 posts | 4968 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #57: Jan 18, 2017 03:20:20 pm
      So it follows that they either 1: knew he'd retired or 2: didn't deem him worthy as warranting a place.

Like I say - why the f**k did we even ask [fifa for clarification] and did we make this rod for our own back?   :-\

Who the F**k is rod?   ;)

Is he a new cb
      YNWA
      therealjr
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,116 posts | 147 
      Reply #58: Jan 18, 2017 03:21:37 pm
      Why the hell do they have to play the ACON in the middle of the European season anyway?
      African nations are happy enough to play in the World Cup in July and given the debacle of the Qatar World Cup it can't be a heat issue?
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,917 posts | 1476 
      Reply #59: Jan 18, 2017 03:53:35 pm
      It's all about the money. Seriously if there was no money involved, would FIFA really care if he plays at all?
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,481 posts | 1640 
      • YNWA
      Reply #60: Jan 18, 2017 04:55:09 pm
      FIFA ...these people literally couldn't score in a brothel...though am sure they'll say they have rules about scoring which prohibit it.
      « Last Edit: Jan 18, 2017 06:19:45 pm by bmck »
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,578 posts | 6916 
      Reply #61: Jan 18, 2017 05:43:11 pm
      Why the hell do they have to play the ACON in the middle of the European season anyway?

Assume, although I don't know, that it is 'out of season' for the African nations.  Good question though - surely most of the players play in Europe?

Edit - This is from an article in 2012.

But Suketu Patel, who is the CAF vice-chair says the tournament schedule was carefully thought through.

-Perhaps the solution lies not with the Nations Cup but within the English league.

-We can't look at the situation purely from what the English league's problems are, Patel told the BBC.

Climatic conditions will not allow

-The time has been agreed with FIFA [and] the climatic conditions in certain parts of Africa do not allow us to play in [northern hemisphere] summer time, Patel said.

-It can be extremely hot in the northern part [of Africa] and in some places you have problems with rain.

And he pointed out that a change of schedule to suit one country would penalise clubs elsewhere, who also employ African players.

-You have to appreciate that there are a lot of players in China or Doha or the South African league, where the timing is not the same as the English league, Patel said.

-So if we were to go to June, you would have other leagues saying exactly what the club's are saying now.

Patel's assertion, means that the 2013 AFCON will likely be held in January, just a year after the 2012 edition, which will likely anger the clubs.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,675 posts | 3696 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #62: Jan 18, 2017 05:59:07 pm
      I'm gutted about this :(
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #63: Jan 18, 2017 06:08:18 pm
      If I were a betting man, I bet FIFA will reply when Cameroon are out of the competition, with the answer,

"Oh sorry,yes he could have played all along"  :rasp:
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,898 posts | 4968 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #64: Jan 18, 2017 06:54:02 pm
      FIFA ...these people literally couldn't score in a brothel...though am sure they'll say they have rules about scoring which prohibit it.

Actually mate, I think you'll find quite a few Fifa "Members"  will be scoring aplenty in many of those establishments, although there won't be many nets 'bulging'  >:(

YNWA
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #65: Jan 18, 2017 10:11:48 pm
      https://twitter.com/GlennPrice94/status/821398481348755460

They are right F***ing cu*ts. Guess we won't be seeing Matip until they get knocked out.. cu*ts.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #66: Jan 19, 2017 12:45:04 am
      https://twitter.com/GlennPrice94/status/821398481348755460

They are right f**king cu*ts. Guess we won't be seeing Matip until they get knocked out.. cu*ts.

FIFA prove once more how unfit for purpose they are. This opens up a right can of worms for all football clubs around the world. I'm sure if there'd been a brown envelope with more than just Liverpool's request for clarification inside, a ruling would have been made by now.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #67: Jan 19, 2017 01:12:43 am
      Oh for the days when the clubs could refuse to release a player for international duty.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,578 posts | 6916 
      Reply #68: Jan 20, 2017 08:20:24 am
      Has the pigeon arrived with the message from FIFA yet?

Quick Reply