Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Plymouth?

Loris Karius
      1 (1.5%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      34 (50.7%)
      Joe Gomez
      5 (7.5%)
      Lucas Leiva
      20 (29.9%)
      Alberto Moreno
      1 (1.5%)
      Kevin Stewart
      0 (0%)
      Ovie Ejaria
      0 (0%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      0 (0%)
      Ben Woodburn
      4 (6%)
      Divock Origi
      1 (1.5%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      0 (0%)
      Harry Wilson
      1 (1.5%)
      Sheyi Ojo
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 64

Voting closed: Jan 22, 2017 09:44:52 pm

Plymouth Argyle 0-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 25806 times
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Re: Plymouth Argyle 0-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #437: Jan 19, 2017 11:58:07 am
      Reading through this thread and you'd be forgiven for thinking we'd lost. Let's see, this is Jürgen's first full season and we're:

2nd in the league.
      Most goals scored.
      Most chances created.
      Semi-Final of the league cup.
      4th round of the F.A. Cup
      Young players getting developed.
      Transfer committee now all pulling in the same direction.
      Goal keepers looking like they're now producing better results due to competition.
      Right back situation looking very healthy.
      Players returning from injury.
      Played the most away games in the league so far.
      Unbeaten in 25 (could be more) at Anfield.

So we have a few young lads who aren't performing to top tier standard, perhaps that's why they're being tried against the likes of Plymouth and not in the league. Perhaps this was actually well judged and despite us struggling a little we still managed to get through and therefore the rest/rehabilitation and development this will have given the squad should prove advantageous.

Now far from saying everything is perfect there are clearly areas we need to work on but guys, we won!

Onwards and upwards, well in redmen.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #438: Jan 19, 2017 12:09:04 pm
      Reading through this thread and you'd be forgiven for thinking we'd lost. Let's see, this is Jürgen's first full season and we're:

2nd in the league.
      Most goals scored.
      Most chances created.
      Goal keepers looking like they're now producing better results due to competition.

So we have a few young lads who aren't performing to top tier standard, perhaps that's why they're being tried against the likes of Plymouth and not in the league. Perhaps this was actually well judged and despite us struggling a little we still managed to get through and therefore the rest/rehabilitation and development this will have given the squad should prove advantageous.

Now far from saying everything is perfect there are clearly areas we need to work on but guys, we won!

Can't please the agenda men mate.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #439: Jan 19, 2017 12:10:06 pm
      Who cares? Hotch potch team put in a hotch potch performance. 1-0. Go to the next round. Nice display by TAA though who is head and shoulders above everyone else on that field and won't be long before he's a permanent fixture in the starting eleven.

Nice atmosphere at times from Plymouth even if it was just a greatest hits of cliched unoriginal chants.

You should care. If we (LFC) are worth anything as far as a CL spot is concerned the team we fielded last night should have walked this game... Had it been a Young Arsenal, Chelsea or City side they would have filled thier boots, and you all know it...

No excuses, we need quality players... Been punching way above our weight for a long time under Klopp and now we are beginning to just were we really are as a team... Had we been encumbered with European football this season we would have been out side the top four, that's for sure...

Origi has gone backwards, Sturridge shows little sparks of his old self but in reality needs to be sold, Ings, sorry but should also go come the summer...People here will scream at the top of thier lungs about Sturrigde being world class or being the best striker in the Premiere League or maybe brag about his goal scoring record from the bench... HELLO!!!... We need him on the field doing that on a regular basis... There should be no room for passengers here...Only positives about last night are we when through to the next round,and the youngsters all acquitted themselves well 
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #440: Jan 19, 2017 12:22:19 pm
      It was more or less identical to the game at Anfield. We had all of the ball but didn't do anything with it. Five yard passes going sideways for 90 minutes. It was a terrible game in truth.  I thought that once we scored, Plymouth might have come out a little bit more and made a game of it. At the end of the day, they may as well get beat 10-0 than 1-0 in a cup game. They didn't though, they kept to their 'sit men behind the ball' game plan. We struggled to break them down as a result and looked out of ideas in the final third. Sturridge and Origi weren't involved because the midfield wouldn't make a forward pass - Stewart and Ejaria were terrible in my opinion. Our goal came from a corner which summed our attacking play up really.

Thankful for the win but considering Plymouth are 2 leagues below us a replay shouldn't have been needed to get the job done and we ought to have scored a sh*t load of goals last night.

bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #441: Jan 19, 2017 01:00:58 pm
      We got the win and into the next round... that'll do for me. 😎👍
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #442: Jan 19, 2017 01:13:37 pm

2nd in the league.
      Most goals scored.
      Most chances created.

Yeah that's great lad, thanks for sharing all of that.

One thing though, this is the Plymouth v Liverpool thread. So Im talking about what happened in this specific game. Im not talking about how many games we've played away from home in the league or how many goals we've scored in the past five months. I'm talking about that one specific performance in that one specific fixture in that one specific thread.

Why people feel the need to come in these threads when we haven't played at our best and just go on and on and on about how great things are to justify that performance I'll never know.

End of the day, we were sh*te at home against Plymouth. We were sh*te away at Plymouth. No we didn't lose either game, but we struggled to create chances in both and our play was slow, boring and predictable to say the least.

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,185 posts | 4404 
      Reply #443: Jan 19, 2017 01:22:52 pm
      I thought all the youngsters apart from Stewart, maybe at 23 he is not really a youngster did really well.

Gomez, Ejaria, Trent, woodburn, Wilson and Ojo, if we look at their average age it's probably no more than 19!

Still kids in football terms.

Shame they can't all be like Messi for our fickle supporters!
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #444: Jan 19, 2017 01:38:30 pm
      Its a shame you can't honestly discuss a football match without somebody calling you fickle, fake, a sh*t fan etc etc etc

We didn't play well. I'm still yet to see anybody say that we did play well last night. That still doesn't stop the same half a dozen people coming in threads like these saying 'yeah but we've scored loads of goals and we've won lots of games so stop moaning' or 'theres no pleasing people like you' or whatever other bollocks they want to say though. You'll be telling me we've won it five times next. Theres other threads for all of that so beat it and go and talk about it in those.

I come in each match thread every week and give my opinions on that one specific game. Go through my posts and you will see me praising us in tons of other threads this season. The majority of my posts have been giving us praise, because guess what, the majority of games we've played this season we've been exceptional. But when we don't play well, I'll say it how it is then too and won't chat on about the past 6 months.

Last night we were sh*te. We edged through past the mighty Plymouth and we scored one goal from a corner in 180 minutes football against them. 

When you say it how it is and you're honest and admit we didn't play well you just get ganged up on by the Liverpool can do no wrong brigade :lmao:

Just be honest for fucks sake.

reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #445: Jan 19, 2017 02:09:24 pm
      Don't think anyone's posted that we were brilliant, decent, good etc, most have said we didn't play well, some that we were sh*t, some that it was diappointing/slow/laboured etc etc.

Course we should be getting past League 2 opposition - which we did. 
      Sure there's been upsets in the FA Cup previously - which there wasn't.
      Naturally our fringe and youth players weren't outstanding - that's why they're fringe/youth players.

From those who played and their future at LFC

Karius - still too early to say/did his job
      TAA - still too early to say/did his job
      Gomez - still too early to say/did his job
      Lucas - on his way out but still reliable when called upon
      Moreno - probably not
      Stewart - decent back up, never going to be 1st team regular/good squaddie
      Ejaria - too early to say/could have done more
      Woodburn - too early to say/could have done more
      Coutinho - not far off wc/rusty
      Sturridge - disappointing/probably not
      Origi - disappointing/still early days

Wilson - too early to say/made a difference
      Ojo - too early to say/made a difference

Definitely a game to forget, absolutely won't be one to watch again, certainly won't go down in the annuls of lfc history (unless one of the young lads becomes a wc talent/lfc legend).

Am I happy?  I'm absolutely F***ing ecstatic!  Why wouldn't I be, we're through to the next round, we managed to rest our seniors, gave much needed minutes to Cou and the kids and we came away unscathed injury wise.

Bring on Swansea  :scarf:
      DanMann

• 5,744 posts | 882 
      Reply #446: Jan 19, 2017 02:12:13 pm

2nd in the league. - 3rd. Were 2nd. Spurs have caught us, and the gap between us and 1st is not closing.
      Most goals scored. - Excellent, but the goals are drying up.
      Most chances created. - Excellent, but the goals are drying up.
      Semi-Final of the league cup. - Yes, but having just lost the 1st leg.
      4th round of the F.A. Cup - After struggling against Plymouth for 180 minutes and grabbing a goal through a corner, by Lucas of all people.
      Young players getting developed. - Yes, but showing us that they're not that great.
      Transfer committee now all pulling in the same direction. - That direction is not buying players when we are in need i.e. now
      Goal keepers looking like they're now producing better results due to competition. - Yes, agreed. Mignolet is on form.
      Right back situation looking very healthy. - Except when Clyne is injured. Then we have TAA - and he's not great yet.
      Players returning from injury. - True.
      Played the most away games in the league so far. - True
      Unbeaten in 25 (could be more) at Anfield. - True
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #447: Jan 19, 2017 02:44:18 pm

2nd in the league. - 3rd. Were 2nd. Spurs have caught us, and the gap between us and 1st is not closing.
      Most goals scored. - Excellent, but the goals are drying up.
      Most chances created. - Excellent, but the goals are drying up.
      Semi-Final of the league cup. - Yes, but having just lost the 1st leg.
      4th round of the F.A. Cup - After struggling against Plymouth for 180 minutes and grabbing a goal through a corner, by Lucas of all people.
      Young players getting developed. - Yes, but showing us that they're not that great.
      Transfer committee now all pulling in the same direction. - That direction is not buying players when we are in need i.e. now
      Goal keepers looking like they're now producing better results due to competition. - Yes, agreed. Mignolet is on form.
      Right back situation looking very healthy. - Except when Clyne is injured. Then we have TAA - and he's not great yet.
      Players returning from injury. - True.
      Played the most away games in the league so far. - True
      Unbeaten in 25 (could be more) at Anfield. - True

DanMann

• 5,744 posts | 882 
      Reply #448: Jan 19, 2017 03:05:53 pm
      Don't believe what you read in the papers mate ;)
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #449: Jan 19, 2017 03:55:08 pm

Awesome, so now reasonable discussion has no place in this forum. We either all put on the same glasses or be gone!!!
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #450: Jan 19, 2017 04:19:47 pm
      Awesome, so now reasonable discussion has no place in this forum. We either all put on the same glasses or be gone!!!

Again FL I was giving my opinion of that post; I know your boys did not make the playoffs again but you'll make it through to draft day. :)
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #451: Jan 19, 2017 05:05:34 pm
      Not read all the posts - but get a sense a lot is negative

To add to the "negativity" - that's another game to add to our our congested fixture list

On the plus side - we are still in the cup, still in the title race, have got a semi at Anfield next week, & the mancs are still w***ers
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,934 posts | 4992 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #452: Jan 19, 2017 05:13:22 pm
      We didn't play very well last night did we?

We didn't score many goals did we?

We didn't score any goals from open play in 180+ minutes of football did we?

We didn't play our first X1 home or away did we?

We played mostly our promising young lads over the two games didn't we?

WE tried to play actual football in the two 'football' matches didn’t we?

The two X1's selected hadn't played much together before had they?

Plymouth Argyle didn't play much football in either game did they?

Plymouth Argyle didn't score any goals did they?

Mourinho is a Kunt isn't he?

We are through to the next round aren't we?

We really don't give a F**k how we progress to the next round of a cup competition do we?

I'm just being honest,  aren't I?

YNWA
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #453: Jan 19, 2017 05:26:28 pm
      Again FL I was giving my opinion of that post; I know your boys did not make the playoffs again but you'll make it through to draft day. :)

Huh? What are you talking about?
      Danzel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,305 posts | 1113 
      Reply #454: Jan 19, 2017 05:41:01 pm
      We really don't give a f**k how we progress to the next round of a cup competition do we?

This all day long. No one remembers the road to a final, unless it's an exceptional game. People only remember finals and winners. We struggled at Exeter last year with a similar team. It doesn't matter. We're through to the next round and that's what matters. Some invaluable experience for the young lads too and I'm always happy to see some of them play, even though they didn't really play well last night. I think that's mainly down to overthinking what they were doing rather than doing what they do at the U23's level and just do their thing.

My MOTM was Trent AA. Had a very good game and is one of the most promising youngsters. Stewart is done for me, another pretty poor display from him. Both Woodburn and Ejaria have something about them, hope to see more of them.

Even though I agree Origi has been poor as of late, some of the comments on him are over the top. People expect him to play like a 28 year old seasoned pro while he's still just a 21 year old kid. Same thing with Can, the lad only just turned 23. They just seem to have been around for such a long time, but they're still very young and very raw, they need time.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,544 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #455: Jan 19, 2017 05:42:09 pm
      Have we had any Sturridge got no service posts yet?

Not sure. But just in case ... I don't think he did  :sadlook:
      jabv
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,332 posts | 182 
      • backs Harvey Elliot's haircut
      Reply #456: Jan 19, 2017 05:57:03 pm

I don't think that's the case. When you try to rescue the smallest negative details about any fact in that fashion, you're bound to get that kind of answer. There's realistic and critical, and there's gloomy and pessimistic. Dan's post being one or the other is of course debatable, but most people, including me, seem to think it's the latter.

I think the picture illustrates that sentiment better than any long post, hence the amount of likes.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #457: Jan 19, 2017 06:02:49 pm
      Poor Alberto Moreno bearing the brunt of abuse after a clean sheet and winning a penalty. JD has been kind enough to embed stats into the threads now, I suggest people look at them before calling him the worst player they've ever seen. Played as well as everyone (better than our strikers actually) else and gets triple the abuse.

Sure he's not a great left back but we can't just lambast him for the fun of it, save it for when he actually fucks up.

KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #458: Jan 19, 2017 06:06:52 pm
      This all day long. No one remembers the road to a final, unless it's an exceptional game. People only remember finals and winners. We struggled at Exeter last year with a similar team. It doesn't matter. We're through to the next round and that's what matters. Some invaluable experience for the young lads too and I'm always happy to see some of them play, even though they didn't really play well last night. I think that's mainly down to overthinking what they were doing rather than doing what they do at the U23's level and just do their thing.

My MOTM was Trent AA. Had a very good game and is one of the most promising youngsters. Stewart is done for me, another pretty poor display from him. Both Woodburn and Ejaria have something about them, hope to see more of them.

Even though I agree Origi has been poor as of late, some of the comments on him are over the top. People expect him to play like a 28 year old seasoned pro while he's still just a 21 year old kid. Same thing with Can, the lad only just turned 23. They just seem to have been around for such a long time, but they're still very young and very raw, they need time.

Spot on mate.

I actually expected TAA to have a good game on the back of his United experience. He'd already shaken off the cobwebs there and got a nice feel for getting into the game and finishing it strongly. This time he wasn't up against a Martial but instead he could show a little more dominance in the 1v1 and assert his game which I thought he did quite well.

Jürgen alluded to the lads being afraid of being embarrassed in the duels, so rather than try something they were a little safe. He could sense it he said, because the gap in leagues was so far that if they got beaten or lost out in trying something they'd think it was worse however he tried to reassure them at half-time this wasn't the case. (something roughly along those lines)

While they are young and they are gaining experience it's fair to say that they hadn't played much together and that the expectancy to get a result would have been on their shoulders and I can totally understand what Jürgen was suggesting. They were boys against men in a lot of the 1v1s but should somehow be looked at as the massive favourites to win that duel, not really a fair reflection and indeed they needed to use the collective talent to overcome rather than just focus on that aspect. It was insightful and a reasonable explanation of why they'd possibly not perform to even their usual standards. When it comes to young lads breaking through I like to give them plenty of patience, personally I've less time for those senior members who failed to show how 'a world class player would rip Plymouth apart' I believe the criticism of Woodburn went last week. However the truth was that this week Sturridge had from the start the chance to show what he could do against supposedly massively inferior opposition and that for me was the biggest failing of our players, he should have made his class show and although he was disappointed to go off the substitution made perfect sense because it just wasn't happening for him.

As you said at the start though the means to the end are rarely remembered, it's getting there that counts and we're now one step closer.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #459: Jan 19, 2017 06:07:12 pm
      Poor Alberto Moreno bearing the brunt of abuse after a clean sheet and winning a penalty. JD has been kind enough to embed stats into the threads now, I suggest people look at them before calling him the worst player they've ever seen. Played as well as everyone (better than our strikers actually) else and gets triple the abuse.

Sure he's not a great left back but we can't just lambast him for the fun of it, save it for when he actually fucks up.

I'd rather not give him, Moreno, the chance to F**k up.

Quick Reply