Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 19th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P21 W11 D8 L2

Liverpool 9th in latest world football money table

Read 2170 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,528 posts | 6887 
      Liverpool 9th in latest world football money table
      Jan 19, 2017 12:15:59 am
      Man Utd move back to the top after a 13 year absence.  Their revenues increased by £71M in the year, ours up by £4M.

Eight Premier League clubs make the top 20, with revenues totalling nearly 3.2bn euros (£2.4bn).

Champions Leicester City (20th) enter the top 20 for the first time. They produced a revenue of 172m euros (£128m) - which is almost five times the revenue generated two seasons previously in 2013-14.

Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and Tottenham remain in seventh, eighth, ninth and 12th place, with West Ham in 18th position.

Manchester City also climb a spot to fifth - having generated 524.9 euros (£392.6m) - up from 463.5 euros (£352.6m) during the previous season.

It is the first time they have reached the top five of the annual list.

Very questionable income sources, surely for Man City?
      « Last Edit: Feb 02, 2017 10:57:09 am by JD »
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Re: Liverpool 9th in latest world football money table
      Reply #1: Jan 19, 2017 07:46:17 am
      Man Utd move back to the top after a 13 year absence.  Their revenues increased by £71M in the year, ours up by £4M.

Eight Premier League clubs make the top 20, with revenues totalling nearly 3.2bn euros (£2.4bn).

Champions Leicester City (20th) enter the top 20 for the first time. They produced a revenue of 172m euros (£128m) - which is almost five times the revenue generated two seasons previously in 2013-14.

Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and Tottenham remain in seventh, eighth, ninth and 12th place, with West Ham in 18th position.

Manchester City also climb a spot to fifth - having generated 524.9 euros (£392.6m) - up from 463.5 euros (£352.6m) during the previous season.

It is the first time they have reached the top five of the annual list.

Very questionable income sources, surely for Man City?

Indeed does anybody have a clue what they class as revenue, they don't have a global fan base in fact can't even sell out Etihaad.

Are you allowed to put sponsorship from subsidiaries of the holding company down as revenue?

-LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,117 posts | 1183 
      Reply #2: Jan 19, 2017 08:05:18 am
      Indeed does anybody have a clue what they class as revenue, they don't have a global fan base in fact can't even sell out Etihaad.

Are you allowed to put sponsorship from subsidiaries of the holding company down as revenue?

Apparently so. What else could explain City & PSG's positions?

West Ham -- wtf?
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #3: Jan 19, 2017 08:08:19 am
      So, if I'm reading this right, Man U with NO champions league and "wasting money on 'sh*te' players": still came out tops. How the F**k: speculate to accumulate?

Sorta lends a lie to the notion that a team needs both C.L. football and to be frugal to exist at the top.

That said: I wake up every day thankful and happy that I'm not a Man U fan. 😎

On a side note there's some list of winners in that top 10.

MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #4: Jan 19, 2017 08:37:40 am
      Thank you Rick "The Briefcase " Parry.

Still playing catch up .

I do think that FSG  will get us up there .

Very interesting article I was reading on the weekend in the Telegraph, about Sky's revenues dropping.
      How every man and his dog now stream Premier League matches free of charge and Sky's income is down 25%  since 2010.
      Since last year , down 13% .

The TV money days have reached a tipping point and clubs will need to secure other revenue streams just like the music business has had to adapt.

We live in interesting times .

There is also the future problem of a missing generation of English players.

Being able to buy the cream of international players to date off the back of incredible TV revenue has pushed out the normal supply and demand of home grown talent.

« Last Edit: Jan 19, 2017 11:33:03 pm by MIRO »
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,528 posts | 6887 
      Reply #5: Jan 19, 2017 09:41:19 am
      Sorta lends a lie to the notion that a team needs both C.L. football and to be frugal to exist at the top.

True.  United's extra £70M is clearly down in a large part to the extra £40M adidas are giving them over their previous sponsor.  On the pitch activities now only seem to be a small part of creating PR for the off the pitch deals.

I've said before that if I was a club owner, of a club I had no affiliation to, then the best place to be is probably just outside the top four consistently. 

Getting in the top four means the supporters get more ambitious, demand better players on more expensive contracts, you need bigger squads and to pay players more for competing in the Champions League.  And if you're only there for a season you have a huge financial hangover.

The extra money from the CL is now relative peanuts compared to a big clubs total revenue.  They get so much money (eg. TV money) just by playing - not needing to really be competitive eg. West Ham.

In the past owners and fans wanted the same thing - on the pitch success even if it was for slightly different reasons.  Nowadays the owners of clubs would celebrate a 10 year sportswear deal more than any trophy.  Strange times for the sport.

With the expanded stadium it will be interesting to see if we close the gap on Chelsea and Arsenal next year.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,080 posts | 805 
      Reply #6: Jan 19, 2017 09:47:06 am

Yup

income from sponsors & subsidiaries are classified as revenues (albeit in different terms) in the income statement.

bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #7: Jan 19, 2017 01:18:36 pm
      Nowadays the owners of clubs would celebrate a 10 year sportswear deal more than any trophy.  Strange times for the sport.
      Preaching to the choir JD but you are bang on the money.

I'll admit to loathing the 'money men'; the 'carpetbaggers' so it will be of no surprise when I point out the pride with which we announce a new "partner" often exceeds the pomp surrounding a new signing.

It still brings a wry grin when I read people regurgitating propaganda that one of the top money earners in the PL can't compete.

Can't cook, won't cook.

Quick Reply