Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 19th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P21 W11 D8 L2

Steven Gerrard returns to Liverpool as Academy Coach

Read 4954 times
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,465 posts | 4815 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Steven Gerrard returns to Liverpool as Academy Coach
      Jan 20, 2017 06:01:02 pm
      https://twitter.com/LFC/status/822503855187369984

Steven Gerrard returns to Liverpool FC in Academy coaching role

Liverpool FC has announced that Steven Gerrard is to return to the club in a full-time capacity to take up a position within the Academy.

The Reds legend will serve as a coach at the youth complex in Kirkby, operating in a wide-ranging role in the professional development phase of the young players.

Gerrard will begin his responsibilities in February, marking a return home to the club where he spent 17 years of his professional career after graduating through the ranks at the Academy. He has been a familiar presence at the Academy since ending his playing association with the Reds, connecting with some of the younger age groups whilst working on his coaching badges.‎

The 36-year-old will bring with him invaluable experience and expertise garnered from a glittering career at the highest level, as well as unparalleled knowledge of the fabric and ethos of Liverpool Football Club.

In turn, the new role will provide Gerrard with the opportunity to enhance his coaching skills and development under the stewardship of Alex Inglethorpe, with the former midfielder eager to not only make a substantial contribution towards the progression of young players, but also to learn from those around him.

Gerrard said: "It feels like completing the circle; returning to the place where professionally it all began. However, this isn't a decision based on emotion - it's about what I can offer and contribute to Liverpool.

"I don't think I need to explain to people what this football club means to me, but when I knew coming back was a serious option I wanted to make sure it was a substantive role and a role in which I could really help the organisation.

"Meeting with Alex Inglethorpe, seeing the work they are currently doing and want to do in the future at Kirkby, it just felt right. The right option at the right time, for all parties involved.

"This gives me a great opportunity to learn and develop as a coach, while at the same time offering my knowledge, ideas and experience to the young players at an important period of their development."

Gerrard's return to Liverpool comes following an emotional departure to LA Galaxy in May 2015 after 710 appearances, 186 goals, 10 trophies and countless moments that will forever be etched into the club's history.

Having announced his decision to leave the Major League Soccer club last year, he officially called time on his playing career before taking up his coaching position within the Reds' youth setup permanently.

Academy director Inglethorpe believes Gerrard's appointment will prove hugely beneficial for all parties concerned.

He said: "If I was to pick one individual who embodies the characteristics and values we are looking to instil into our organisation at Kirkby, it would be Steven Gerrard. For him to have been so enthusiastic about being part of what we are looking to do is simply great news for everyone connected to the club.

"I don't think it would surprise anyone to know that Steven has had a host of great options, in terms of what to do next in his career, including playing, management and coaching. But it's been evident from the first meeting with him that his heart and head belongs here.

"He has shown great humility in making it clear from the outset he wants a role where he can contribute to Liverpool; it's typical of him that his priority has been defining the role so it helps the club, ahead of himself.

"He has expressed a desire to learn from us and manage a young team. The benefits to us will be immense. This is a substantial role and one which makes the Academy and the club in general stronger and better."

Offal
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Re: Steven Gerrard returns to Liverpool as Academy Coach
      Reply #1: Jan 20, 2017 06:02:24 pm
      paulow63
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 647 posts | 83 
      Reply #2: Jan 20, 2017 06:16:53 pm
      Congratulations to SG, I thought he spoke very well the other night when he was the pundit with Neil Warnock on BT v Plymouth, he spoke with great football intelligence and came across very passionate about Liverpool and football.

It's also the right move where he will learn in a great environment with the right people with little pressure.  He could have gone down the Gary Neville route (Valencia) and crashed and burned and out, but this way he can build his career up in a well structured place brick by brick - and who knows, maybe one day.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #3: Jan 20, 2017 06:36:16 pm
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #4: Jan 20, 2017 06:46:44 pm
      BRILLIANT    absolutely brilliant .

You can take the lad out of Liverpool but  .....

what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,465 posts | 4815 
      Reply #5: Jan 20, 2017 06:48:20 pm
      Why is this only being announced now? Hasn't it been a done thing for ages?
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #6: Jan 20, 2017 06:51:23 pm

It's only just become official. It was said before Christmas that it'd be confirmed this month and that's what's happened.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #7: Jan 20, 2017 06:51:33 pm

January transfer window mate, gotta release positive info to distract... :D
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,803 posts | 4909 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #8: Jan 20, 2017 06:55:33 pm
      Welcome back home Stevie G, like he said himself he feels the circle is complete, well almost,
      This is just the beginning of his coaching career, I don't think anybody needs a crystal ball to see what will eventually come out of Kirkby, because he will not only instill his expertise, his knowledge and his wisdom, he'll be getting into the minds of his charges exactly what it means to represent this world renowned institution,

When Shanks lay the foundations, and built the success, Sir Bob carried it forward with his own successes, onto Joe Fagan, to Kenny, and all the way along there remained the unsung heroes like Reuben Bennett,  Ronnie Moran, Roy Evans, it used to be like a natural procession at Liverpool, 

We've missed that for alot of years and it's about time we got it back, so hopefully this is just the beginning of a string of legendary players who continue to serve the club once retired.

He wasn't going anywhere else was he, let's be honest,  this is fantastic news,  another brilliant addition to the backroom staff.

Good luck Stevie

YNWA
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,314 posts | 1610 
      Reply #9: Jan 20, 2017 06:56:21 pm
      Nice move L.F.C.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #10: Jan 20, 2017 07:01:34 pm
      So ermmm... where has the last 18 years gone? :D

He has an interesting role at the club. Assessing age groups from 15's up to 23's, getting involved in training sessions with each of them at some point, completing the highest grade of coaching badges and then look to get a team of his own in the near future.

what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,465 posts | 4815 
      Reply #11: Jan 20, 2017 07:12:18 pm
      January transfer window mate, gotta release positive info to distract... :D

You may laugh....
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #12: Jan 20, 2017 07:27:50 pm
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #13: Jan 20, 2017 07:35:18 pm
      As Luke mentioned sly fuckers in the PR dept, announcing our only January window signing just as the locals are getting restless!
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #14: Jan 20, 2017 08:00:44 pm

No mate, I was just smiling wryly as I thought that was your insinuation and you're probably right. One thing FSG can be accused of is a bit of spin and I've little doubt this is being used as a distraction from the lack of news.

Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,537 posts | 2126 
      Reply #15: Jan 20, 2017 08:50:40 pm
      Great news made up to hear this! How frickin excited must those Academy lads be!?!
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #16: Jan 20, 2017 08:55:30 pm
      Welcome back Stevie :)  And all the very best in your new role. The kids will be buzzin !!
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,299 posts | 3868 
      Reply #17: Jan 20, 2017 08:59:09 pm
      Superb news
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #18: Jan 20, 2017 10:08:50 pm
      Fantastic new for the club..
      I'm pretty damn certain Stevie will be mentoring those mini Fowlers and mini Kenny's ;D even those mini me's ;D
      They are out there! and...... Stevie knows!

welcome back home.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #19: Jan 20, 2017 11:42:34 pm
      I don't think it was ever in any doubt that Stevie would return to the club in a coaching capacity.It will do him good to start at the Academy and give him valuable experience which will benefit him and the club in the long term.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #20: Jan 20, 2017 11:58:32 pm
      Welcome back Stevie.

A youth coach is by no means a remedial position at the club. It is a position of massive responsibility as he has the ability to inspire future Liverpool legends and teach them what it means to represent the club. Not many ex-players hold that authority and capability to inspire but Stevie does.
      Augustine Hayfron
      • Forum Youth Player

• 14 posts |
      Reply #21: Jan 21, 2017 12:10:54 am
      This is going to benefit the Team
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,596 posts | 165 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone