Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 19th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P21 W11 D8 L2

Liverpool Under Investigation by Premier League for tapping up

Read 7765 times
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 39,912 posts | 8428 
      Liverpool Under Investigation by Premier League for tapping up
      Mar 23, 2017 12:37:37 am
      Liverpool under investigation for alleged tapping up of Stoke City schoolboy star

Liverpool are under investigation for allegedly tapping up and offering a forbidden inducement to a Stoke City schoolboy star.

The Anfield side are also accused of reneging on an agreement to pay the youngster’s school fees, leaving his parents – who pulled out of a deal with the club as a result – in thousands of pounds of debt.

To compound the family’s woes, the unnamed boy cannot now play for another team until Stoke receive a compensation fee of almost £50,000.

An investigation into the claims was launched earlier this year by the Premier League, which had already been looking into allegations related to a grievance Liverpool had about one of their own schoolboys joining Manchester City.

Both of the controversial transfers date back to last summer, when Liverpool allegedly tapped up a 12-year-old considered to be one of Stoke’s best youngsters.

Stoke had been paying the boy’s school fees as part of a contract signed by his parents, who wanted Liverpool to do the same.

Liverpool are alleged to have agreed to do so until the player turned 16, breaching a rule introduced around that time forbidding the practice unless a club offers to pay for all the schoolchildren on their books to be educated privately.

It is claimed that, on learning of this, Liverpool refused to honour their commitment, leaving the player’s parents liable for thousands of pounds in fees.

Stoke would have continued to pay those fees had the boy not moved to Anfield – even if his former club had released him.

The youngster’s footballing future was also left in limbo because of a controversial rule that prevents him playing for another team until Stoke are paid £49,000 in compensation.

A source with knowledge of the Premier League investigation said: “This is a shocking example of how children in Premier League football are being used and abused.

“This kid has done nothing wrong at all but he’s been left out in the cold and his parents are having to foot the bill for private education that they can’t afford.

“The whole thing is a total disgrace. Everyone at the top of the Premier League and both football clubs are fully aware of what has gone on, and it is something that must be stamped out of the game.

“Everyone knows how children’s lives and education are being ruined with the promise of football riches and it needs to stop.”

The Daily Telegraph revealed last year that children as young as 10 were being frozen out of the English’s game’s academy system because of compensation fees parents were unwittingly signing up to.

The Premier League this evening declined to comment on its investigation into Liverpool, one of a handful it is understood to be conducting into alleged breaches of its rules on the transfer of academy players.

It was forced to introduce a new five-step process for ratifying such moves following mounting concerns about the poaching of youngsters within the division.

One of those steps involves parents and clubs signing a declaration that no inducements have been offered for a schoolboy to switch allegiance, with the Premier League able to demand the phone records of all involved if it has any suspicions to the contrary.

It was unclear on Wednesday evening what sanction Liverpool would face if found guilty of breaching what are recently revamped regulations.

They and Stoke declined to comment last night on the investigation, the tapping-up allegation or the row over the school and compensation fees.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/03/22/liverpool-investigation-alleged-tapping-stoke-city-schoolboy/

This doesn't sound good.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,528 posts | 6887 
      Re: Liverpool Under Investigation by Premier League for tapping up
      Reply #1: Mar 23, 2017 12:57:39 am
      Murky murky world. Moneyball gone mad.

No club should escape punishment.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #2: Mar 23, 2017 06:59:46 am
      I doubt that there would not be many E.P.L. clubs not guilty of tapping and offering inducements  to young lads  to sign for them.I do not condone the system but clubs have used devious means for years to get kids and players to sign for them.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,314 posts | 1610 
      Reply #3: Mar 23, 2017 07:26:52 am
      Anyone guilty deserves all they get , but lets not forget the role parents play in this at the though of riches .
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #4: Mar 23, 2017 07:46:03 am
      As Billy says nothing new here it happens all the time, just need to look at City and Chelsea.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,333 posts | 3360 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #5: Mar 23, 2017 08:35:41 am
      Scary, no one comes out of this looking good.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,803 posts | 4909 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #6: Mar 23, 2017 09:17:51 am
      Disgraceful!

LFC should do the right thing here and avoid further embarrassment and probably sanctions,

We all know tapping up goes on,has done for yrs, and will continue,

If the young lad is deemed good enough then Liverpool should pay what is due, get the lad onboard, what message does it send out for the future if we treat young lads like this,

GET IT SORTED ASAP!!!

YNWA
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #7: Mar 23, 2017 09:42:45 am
      Disgraceful!

LFC should do the right thing here and avoid further embarrassment and probably sanctions,

We all know tapping up goes on,has done for yrs, and will continue,

If the young lad is deemed good enough then Liverpool should pay what is due, get the lad onboard, what message does it send out for the future if we treat young lads like this,

GET IT SORTED ASAP!!!

YNWA

I 100% agree, I don't care if other clubs also do this, that doesn't make it right, and its certainly not right to leave this lad and his family high and dry. If the rule is that if you pay education for one lad then you have to pay for all the lads then pay all the lads education, it still only adds up to one players weekly wage ffs!
      This needs to get sorted out immediately.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,141 posts | 1619 
      Reply #8: Mar 23, 2017 10:00:03 am
      Leaving a family in debt aswell by renegading on an agreement.

Not good. Deserve whatever comes our way out of this.
      DaktionLFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,084 posts | 84 
      Reply #9: Mar 23, 2017 11:15:53 am
      agreed. just do the right thing and move on

ffs it is 50k, thats like a weeks wages for most of our first team.  instead we put that family in stress, probably jaded the son and just added bad PR
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #10: Mar 23, 2017 01:29:47 pm
      agreed. just do the right thing and move on

ffs it is 50k, thats like a weeks wages for most of our first team.  instead we put that family in stress, probably jaded the son and just added bad PR

Why does this have the stench of Ian Ayre all over it, so glad that dickhead is finally leaving.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #11: Mar 23, 2017 01:36:25 pm
      I opened the thread wondering who the F**k we had tried to tap up. Should have realised it was going to be a kid and for peanuts.

Sad but not surprising that the "money men" even managed to F**k that up and renege on it...

"Aye we will pay for his school fees... What the F**k d'ya mean all our kids have to go to a private school? We were thinking school bag, new blazer, P. E. kit, that sorta thing... Go F**k with that 'private' sh*t!"
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #12: Mar 23, 2017 01:44:51 pm
      Only 12? I bet you if Corballytard was still here he'd be telling us how he'd watched the lad for a few years now. 😂
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #13: Mar 23, 2017 06:10:20 pm
      LFC SORT IT .... and make it better for the family than even it would have been .

Scandalous from  us  .     
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #14: Mar 23, 2017 07:34:58 pm
      I know our policy of buying youth and developing them to a standard which maximises income and revenue, is appealing to the owners. This kid must be another Stevie G.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #15: Mar 23, 2017 07:53:27 pm
      We all know it goes on, and I assume none of us really like it, but such is the competition to find the next big star, that it's almost impossible for clubs not to do it.

IMO if the club must do it, then they have to behave better.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #16: Mar 23, 2017 08:19:48 pm
      Sounds like the revised rules wouldn't allow us to pay the school fees. It was allegedly agreed with the parents, then the F A moved the goal posts so it couldn't be done without breaking the new legislation. It all could have been dealt with better, and the financial loss to the parents should have been rectified by other means. I'm sure a personal compensation payment from JWH wouldn't have gone amiss, and wouldn't have contravened the FA's revised rules. FFS, even the old brown envelope would have done.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #17: Mar 23, 2017 09:44:44 pm
      FFS, even the old brown envelope would have done.

Exactly .

My kind of deal for the family .
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,333 posts | 3360 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #18: Mar 23, 2017 10:06:09 pm
      Only 12? I bet you if Corballytard was still here he'd be telling us how he'd watched the lad for a few years now. 😂

Before he was born
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,117 posts | 1183 
      Reply #19: Mar 23, 2017 10:39:56 pm
      F**k up. Shouldn't be getting caught if we have to be doing this sort of thing. I too was expecting it to be a big name but a 12 year old kid is ridiculous. Must be thinking he's the absolute sh*t.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #20: Mar 24, 2017 06:53:36 am
      I thought this might interest  some regarding under the counter payments to players.In 1921 we signed Fred Hopkins from Manure and the league were not happy with the transfer details.The league fined Manure 350 quid for paying Fred more than the regulation   maximum wage and promising him a percentage of the transfer fee.I bring this up to show that corruption was going on in those days  and nothing has changed.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #21: Mar 25, 2017 09:00:47 am
      I thought this might interest  some regarding under the counter payments to players.In 1921 we signed Fred Hopkins from Manure and the league were not happy with the transfer details.The league fined Manure 350 quid for paying Fred more than the regulation   maximum wage and promising him a percentage of the transfer fee.I bring this up to show that corruption was going on in those days  and nothing has changed.

Jesus billy, hope you weren't there at the time 😳
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #22: Mar 25, 2017 09:34:15 am
      Jesus billy, hope you weren't there at the time 😳

I wasn't but my Dad was and often spoke about Fred Hopkins and so many other Liverpool players.

Quick Reply