Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Why Some Locals Supports Everton?

Read 5916 times
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Why Some Locals Supports Everton?
      Nov 11, 2007 12:13:02 pm
      First and foremost, i don't live in Liverpool or in the UK but from the Far East. But i've been and ardent supporter of the club since 1974 (and there's a long story to that). But what i find it hard to understand and accept is that, in spite of LFC being the more successful club between the two, yet they still get a sizeable support. So i asked a guy who stays at the place where i work and he comes from Liverpool and happened to be and Everton fan. So he told me why he and the rest supports Everton is because it is a club meant for the local Liverpool population, while there're many outsiders coming in bus loads when LFC is having a home game. So what he effectively meant is LFC support base is not in Liverpool itself but from other parts of the UK and the rest of the world. I initially thought that locals supported Everton was because of the history, as it appears that Everton FC existed before LFC and now that many generations down the road, they still get the grassroot support because their father, mother, grandfather, grandmother, granduncle, grandauntie, girlfriend  etc etc have suppported Everton. But it does not seems to be the case now.

Anyway, i told this lad, if i were a Livepudlian i would be damn happy on weeks that we have a home game where we can be proud of these supporters from afar coming to town to support my team (as long as they don't create any nuisance)and yet stimulating the local economy. So i told this lad, the name of the game in the 21st century is merchandising and tv rights which will rake in millions of pounds in revenue to ensure survival of the club and we need to change our perpesctive and re-focus otherwise we will struggkle and dissapear from the football scene altogether . But he did not agreed.

So i asked him again, I understand LFC will most probably operate in a bigger stadium comes 2010/11 season, so is Everton, but how do we expect to fill the stadium in avery home game, (no disrespect to the locals, apology on my part), we definitely need  supporters from outside Liverpool to fill the stadium and to generate the revenue. So he kepy quite and i pursued no further.

However, fans like us afar, we don't get the chance to watch the game live in L'pool but we throw in small supoprt in many ways such as buying merchandises, subscribe to the local cable tv stations to see live games, etc.

Can someone out there enlighten me on the matter as a matter of curiosity and knowledge?

« Last Edit: Nov 11, 2007 12:23:58 pm by JD »
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Re: Why Some Locals Supports Everton?
      Reply #1: Nov 11, 2007 12:27:53 pm
      Evertonians often claim to be the 'people's club' in Liverpool.  It's the last straw they can hold on to as they are clearly the least succesful.

The fact is both clubs have relatively large fan bases in the city.  To suggest the reds don't have a big support in the city is ridiculous.  I have never seen any official figures but I would imagine the majority of people in Liverpool (and certainly Merseyside) support Liverpool FC.

What is also true is that Liverpool do have massive support around the country and the world compared to Everton.

When the reds have their new stadium and when Everton move 'out of' the city to their new ground then I feel confident in guaranteeing there will be more 'locals' at a Liverpool game than at an Everton game.

Don't believe the spin.  The reds are not only fantastically supported worldwide but extremely well supported in Liverpool too.
      redkop63
      • Started Topic

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #2: Nov 11, 2007 01:21:01 pm
      Thanks for some word of wisdom from a local lad.

Cheers.
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Reply #3: Nov 11, 2007 01:30:44 pm
      Another question to ask your Everton mate is if they are the peoples club in Liverpool how come they can't sell all their season tickets and why do they have to offer half season tickets in December to try and drum up interest.

It's true Liverpool have a world wide fan base but here is still a substantrial number of Liverpudlians that support Liverpool and attend the matches.  Everton fans are bitter about Liverpool's success and try to imply that Liverpool are only supported by 'outsiders'.  It's just not true and although like JD I don't have any statistics for it I reckon more people in the Merseyside area support Liverpool than Everton.
      redkop63
      • Started Topic

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #4: Nov 11, 2007 02:25:53 pm
      Oldred, thanks for the tips pal, their stadium is not much bigger or smaller than ours (I guess so) at the mo., and if they struggled to sell all season tickets and now offering 1/2 season tickets, that would be with the least words used to decribe who's having more support, i'll just ask that question and sees how he responds.

Yes, eventhough i don't come or stay in Liverpool but the local support is vital and must be strong to ensure we generate the revenue to have a healthy bottom line and to do that we need the local support to fill the stadium i every home match (arse has proven that). On the other hand, the overseas support would come from the purchase of merchandise and joining the fan club (but to be honest i felt much more comfortable with LFCREDS.COM) etc. and must must never never be underestimated. LFC should really beef up their marketing/promotion dept. to emphasize more of the far east market as i could see the market is growing rapidly while lots of manure and arse merchandise on sale, us hardly any.  Are we taping into the China market??? ( by the way, I don't come from China) are we letting it slip away (and let manure/arse monopolises it?) where we will  grow to regret later, sadly to say its the case now. Honestly, i don't really see Everton as a threat to us locally but manure/arse more so on a global basis. In the meantime ,LFC needs to rectify the situation and do so fast.

Cheers.
      koolkidda
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,007 posts | 41 
      Reply #5: Nov 11, 2007 10:49:10 pm
      Everton - the biggest club in Liverpool? Don't make me laugh.

They give season tickets away with mobile phones FFS.

Their meagre support like to perpetuate this myth but it is all complete bollocks.  Get our city you blue bas**rds.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #6: Nov 11, 2007 11:27:12 pm
      redkop63. You've learned a valuable lesson talking to that everton fan. You've now seen the bitterness.

Personally, with me being a local red, I'd say we have the more local support. I've had more conversations with red taxi drivers than blue ones. I've worked with more reds than blues. I've had more red neighbours than blue neighbours. I've talked football in many pubs with more reds than blues. You want to see the amount of houses covered in red before we are playing a major cup final. I work all over the city and I've witnessed it many times. It's amazing.

But I would never brag to anyone that we're the club with the most local support. I'd just say 'oh yeah and there's also another club in Liverpool..' ;)

Evertonians often claim to be the 'people's club' in Liverpool.  It's the last straw they can hold on to as they are clearly the least succesful.

That says it all.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #7: Nov 11, 2007 11:29:19 pm
      redkop63. You've learned a valuable lesson talking to that everton fan. You've now seen the bitterness.

Personally, with me being a local red, I'd say we have the more local support. I've had more conversations with red taxi drivers than blue ones. I've worked with more reds than blues. I've had more red neighbours than blue neighbours. I've talked football in many pubs with more reds than blues. You want to see the amount of houses covered in red before we are playing a major cup final. I work all over the city and I've witnessed it many times. It's amazing.

But I would never brag to anyone that we're the club with the most local support. I'd just say 'oh yeah and there's also another club in Liverpool..' ;)

That says it all.

Whose that Kenny..........Liverpool Reserves :laugh:
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #8: Nov 11, 2007 11:31:01 pm

Whose that Kenny..........Liverpool Reserves :laugh:

:lmao:

I'll open my curtains if it's our reserves... ;)
      redkop63
      • Started Topic

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #9: Nov 12, 2007 12:35:20 pm

That says it all.

redkenny, you're most probably right, from this part of the world that i come from, far away from Liverpool, i've got more red fans than blue in the pubs, more red office colleagues than blue,..... wait a minute, none blue colleagues that i could recall, more red barbers than blue, more red plumbers than blue, more red waiters than blue, more red bartenders than blue, more red butchers than blue, more red doctors & nurses than blue, so the list goes on and on and on. Well, i guess situation overhere is the same as over in Liverpool, except that we have much much fewer blue fans over here, not a threat at all.   
      kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Reply #10: Nov 12, 2007 01:44:26 pm
      Like the great Bill Shankly said "theres only 2 teams in Liverpool,thats Liverpool and Liverpool reserves"
      neilh2105
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 37 
      Reply #11: Nov 12, 2007 05:16:06 pm
      Liverpool Football Club are a victim of they own success, of course the more compitions you win, and hence the more publicity you get the more fans you will attract from all over the world, why do they not level this ridiculous claim at the Mancs or Real Madrid! The fact is that bitter Blues will always beat us over the head with something, just listen to what the horrible jealous bast--ds sing about Stephen Gerard. I'll bet antbody a £1000 that they can't prove to me that there are more reds in Liverpool than blues i know that for a fact, come up with the independent figures and you've got yourself a grand!! simple  -  cant be done!!! 
      Anyway  finally "THE PEOPLES CLUB" can anybody coherentally explain to me what exactally is meant by that statements.  I think the fact that they can't sell all their season tickets and we have a ten year waiting list for ours says the lot!
      I've gone on quite long enough about these stupid fu--in pricks!!!!
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,265 posts | 2827 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #12: Nov 12, 2007 05:43:20 pm
      Ill keep it simple and use the famous qoute of Emlyn Hughes

"Liverpool are magic
       Everton are tragic"

Says it all
      EddieWiz
      • Forum Youth Player

• 19 posts |
      Reply #13: Nov 12, 2007 05:53:48 pm
      Does it matter where the heart is as long as the heart is with Liverpool FC ?
      Nicola
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,117 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #14: Nov 13, 2007 07:33:44 pm
      Lots of people tell me that only 'locals' support Everton and most Liverpool fans aren't from Liverpool at all. Whatever  ::)
      Liverpool are more popular therefore have more fans from across the country, am I right or what?
      EddieWiz
      • Forum Youth Player

• 19 posts |
      Reply #15: Nov 13, 2007 08:29:26 pm
      I've supported Liverpool since I was 5 , had a season ticket for over 20 years and live on The Wirral, I get enough stick for living just outside of Liverpool. There are always coach loads of fans from all over at Anfield, regulars from Scandanavia and Ireland and Scotland and even a couple of Southerners who got some sense ;D :D

I remember my brother in Laws stag do was ruinedi in 1989 when Liverpool lost that dramatic last game to the Arse, and no matter how much ale we drunk we where all stone cold sober ;D :D

So Liverpool is in the heart no matter where we live.
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #16: Nov 14, 2007 08:42:54 am
      Everton ain't got nothing on LFC. Crappy Everton.
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Reply #17: Nov 14, 2007 01:04:12 pm

Everton ain't got nothing on LFC. Crappy Everton.

Nothing like a good balanced comment. ;D

I've just had a thought.  There may be more Everton fans than we think.  They are just too ashamed to admit it. ???
      « Last Edit: Nov 14, 2007 01:07:51 pm by Oldred »
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #18: Nov 14, 2007 02:59:07 pm
      Lots of people tell me that only 'locals' support Everton

Lots of people from Liverpool?

Glenbuck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,893 posts | 205 
      Reply #19: Nov 14, 2007 03:36:34 pm
      I agree with the earlier post that suggested support is split roughly 50/50 on merseyside, I know quite a few Blues and in general they are good lads (I know I cant believe it either) and you can have a reasonable debate and some banter without it going all Clive thomas or Heysel. Some Blues do take great delight in being the underdog to their big brother from across the park and see themselves as martyrs to the cause, always hard done by never getting what they deserve. If Everton had the worldwide draw that the Reds have then yes they would fill a 70,000 seater stadium, and this would be filled with locals and OOT's as our own new ground will be. But as they have all the appeal of going to Rhyl on a Sunday morning in December it just isn't going to happen, and that is why the bitterness rises and they come out with the every man, woman , child, cat and dog is a blue jibe! and that like most things out of a blues mouth is complete ill informed b**locks.
      ste_macca
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,175 posts | 22 
      Reply #20: Nov 14, 2007 07:08:57 pm
      First and foremost, I don't live in Liverpool or in the UK but from the Far East. But I've been and ardent supporter of the club since 1974 (and there's a long story to that). But what I find it hard to understand and accept is that, in spite of LFC being the more successful club between the two, yet they still get a sizeable support. So I asked a guy who stays at the place where I work and he comes from Liverpool and happened to be and Everton fan. So he told me why he and the rest supports Everton is because it is a club meant for the local Liverpool population, while there're many outsiders coming in bus loads when LFC is having a home game. So what he effectively meant is LFC support base is not in Liverpool itself but from other parts of the UK and the rest of the world. I initially thought that locals supported Everton was because of the history, as it appears that Everton FC existed before LFC and now that many generations down the road, they still get the grassroot support because their father, mother, grandfather, grandmother, granduncle, grandauntie, girlfriend  etc etc have suppported Everton. But it does not seems to be the case now.

Anyway, I told this lad, if I were a Livepudlian I would be damn happy on weeks that we have a home game where we can be proud of these supporters from afar coming to town to support my team (as long as they don't create any nuisance)and yet stimulating the local economy. So I told this lad, the name of the game in the 21st century is merchandising and tv rights which will rake in millions of pounds in revenue to ensure survival of the club and we need to change our perpesctive and re-focus otherwise we will struggkle and dissapear from the football scene altogether . But he did not agreed.

So I asked him again, I understand LFC will most probably operate in a bigger stadium comes 2010/11 season, so is Everton, but how do we expect to fill the stadium in avery home game, (no disrespect to the locals, apology on my part), we definitely need  supporters from outside Liverpool to fill the stadium and to generate the revenue. So he kepy quite and I pursued no further.

However, fans like us afar, we don't get the chance to watch the game live in L'pool but we throw in small supoprt in many ways such as buying merchandises, subscribe to the local cable tv stations to see live games, etc.

Can someone out there enlighten me on the matter as a matter of curiosity and knowledge?

Liverpool FC being successfull down the years means we get a bigger fan base from all over the uk and world, being from Liverpool myself, growing up as a kid theres always been more Liverpool supporters in the city, theres always more red shirts being worn around the town center, and because we have so many fans we just cant accommodate every red fan in the city a ticket for games. As for everton, they cant even sell all there season tickets, they have to put prices down every season to get fans into the ground, they even have sometimes adverts in the local paper (Echo) asking to please help them and buy a season ticket at a discounted price, and if you do they will give you a mobile phone, cant remember if it was on contract or pay as you go.
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #21: Nov 14, 2007 07:29:41 pm

Liverpool FC being successfull down the years means we get a bigger fan base from all over the uk and world, being from Liverpool myself, growing up as a kid theres always been more Liverpool supporters in the city, theres always more red shirts being worn around the town center, and because we have so many fans we just cant accommodate every red fan in the city a ticket for games. As for everton, they cant even sell all there season tickets, they have to put prices down every season to get fans into the ground, they even have sometimes adverts in the local paper (Echo) asking to please help them and buy a season ticket at a discounted price, and if you do they will give you a mobile phone, cant remember if it was on contract or pay as you go.

looks like they need help to keep their heads above water and their accounts in credit, Everton that is.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #22: Nov 14, 2007 08:51:10 pm
      I acually live a stones throw away from Everton's ground! I certainly have more mates who are Reds than Blues, although I'm not sure whether that came into the selection process! ;D

I have this argument with my Bluenose mate all the time, and even he knows that we're a better supported club! He has a season ticket, which is no achievement in his own admission! Yet I have to wait years on the list for ours just be considered? What better method of judgement than that? A waiting list for people who live in the area (and of course people who are dedicated enough to commute regularly, which adds to the argument ;)) and they're offering their season tickets out with phone contracts? People's club? They'd be better off paying people to come to their games! ;D

Quick Reply