Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Liverpool FC Academy Youth Team Thread

Read 467599 times
      Bpatel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Re: Liverpool Youth aim for the hat-trick
      Reply #115: Dec 13, 2007 08:22:46 pm
      Here's some pictures from the Wycombe match.

Certainly don't recognise any of the players, but it looks like they played pretty well, so hope to see them on the first team pretty soon.

Barnes.on.the.left
      • Forum Youth Player

• 7 posts | -1 
      Reply #116: Dec 13, 2007 08:38:24 pm
      Why is it the youth teams are divided into North and South. Surely it would be more beneficial for our lads to be playin Youth teams like Arsenal, West Ham, Spurs, Chelsea than teams like Wycombe (no offence)
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #117: Dec 13, 2007 11:09:49 pm
      Wycombe's in the south too, Buckinghamshire to be precise. The north south split only applies in the league, not the cup.
      mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      Reply #118: Jan 12, 2008 05:58:45 am
       Liverpool will meet Arsenal in a glamour FA Youth Cup fourth round tie at Anfield on Tuesday, January 29. 
      The Gunners beat Burnley 5-1 at Accrington Stanley's Fraser Eagle Stadium on Friday night to earn the right to meet FA Youth Cup holders Liverpool. England Under-17 international Henri Lansbury scored a hat-trick for Arsenal.

The young Reds have won the competition for the past two seasons and Hughie McAuley's side beat Wycombe Wanderers 5-0 in their third round tie.

The match will give many of the Under-18 squad their first taste of playing on the hallowed turf of Anfield. Kick-off will be 7pm.

Entry to the stadium on the night will be through the Kop turnstiles only with admission costing £4 for adults and £2 for concessions.

graham135uk
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 797 posts | 27 
      • “Liverpool are magic. Everton are tragic.”
      Reply #119: Jan 12, 2008 07:58:56 am
      Well done Tommo.
      That is great, I will be back from my holls by then.
      My lad and I went to see them a few times last season, and saw some very good games.
      We will be going on the 29th.
      Come on the mighty young reds.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #120: Jan 12, 2008 08:04:25 am
      Hope the lads can trounce the young Arse. Will be tough but there is no better side than the chaps at LFC. Good luck fella's.
      The Fallen Soldier
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,137 posts | 89 
      Reply #121: Jan 12, 2008 09:10:49 am
      AWesome for those young lads well done for the win. SHould be an interesting game against the gooners, wouldnt mind going to see that one myself.
      stiffler
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 137 posts |
      Reply #122: Jan 12, 2008 09:58:50 am
      Does anyone know is this game being shown on Lfc TV?
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #123: Jan 12, 2008 06:13:52 pm
      Darn hope so stiffler. I like checkin out a few of the youngster's matches.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #124: Jan 29, 2008 09:25:08 am
      YOUNG REDS AIMING TO OUTGUN ARSENAL

Steve Hunter 29 January 2008 

Hughie McAuley is hoping his Academy team can thrive at the prospect of playing at Anfield for the first time when Liverpool face Arsenal in the FA Youth Cup fourth round on Tuesday night – a match you can listen to online from 7pm GMT. 
      We have a commentary special for you on this website featuring analysis from former Liverpool striker John Durnin, and extensive highlights from the match on Wednesday.

Liverpool might have won the competition two years on the spin but this is a new team and a new challenge for the class of 2008.

Indeed, out of the 11 that are expected to start against the Gunners, only four have played at Anfield before. Swedish playmaker Astrit Ajdarevic was a regular in last season's victorious team, while leading goalscorer Nathan Eccleston, captain Steven Irwin and centre half Martin Kelly have had substitute appearances in front of the Kop.

The Gunners boast a mix of international talent and a few of their team have already tasted first-team experience. In the last round Arsenal thrashed Burnley 5-1 and one of their star prospects, England Under-17 international Henri Lansbury, scored a hat-trick.

They are managed by former Gunners defender Steve Bould, who was part of the Arsenal team that won the title at Anfield in 1989.

Liverpool also netted five goals in their third round win at Wycombe Wanderers so McAuley is hoping his team can give a good account of themselves.

"Playing at Anfield is an experience in itself whoever you play against, and it's a fantastic chance for our boys," McAuley told Liverpoolfc.tv.

"For most of our team it will be the first time they have played at Anfield and it will be exciting. The fact that we are playing Arsenal is an added bonus.

"We will be looking to Astrit to guide us if you like. He has played at Anfield before and he can help some of the other lads. He can talk to players and he has a cool and calmness about his game that will help everybody on the night.

"Hopefully our boys will be motivated enough and enthusiastic to give a great contribution and show what they can do, and I am sure they will."

Liverpool go into the game in great shape. They didn't play at the weekend because the Manchester City game was postponed and the players are in top physical condition for this encounter.

"We have prepared very thoroughly for the Arsenal game," he said. We've had a chance to work with the players on a few things and they are raring to go.

"We will playing against a typical you might say Arsenal team in the sense they play good football, they pass the ball very well and have got some very exciting young players like Lansbury who can make things happen. He is very similar to David Beckham and in appearance. He will be a threat and is somebody we need to be aware of.

"I saw them comfortably beat Burnley 5-1 and I think this will be a good game. It will also be a good comparison between the two teams because we like to think we can pass the ball well and play a bit ourselves.

"They have four or five players that have played for the Arsenal first team so we know what we are up against. In saying that it's more important that we concentrate on our own game and our own style and give our players a licence to go out there and enjoy it, and hopefully get a good result.

"We want to do well and keep our run going in the FA Youth Cup. Games like this are a great experience which young players need to develop their long term future at the football club.

"We will be playing attacking football and try and score goals, while at the same time stop Arsenal scoring."

Although this is McAuley's first season back at the Academy after a spell of coaching the reserve team at Melwood, he did manage the Liverpool team with Steve Heighway that won our first FA Youth Cup in 1996.

"I remember that very well when we had Michael Owen and Jamie Carragher in the team and that was a very exciting year," he added. "To win the youth cup is a fantastic achievement and we have done great to do that the last couple of years.

"To win it two years in succession is testimony to the staff at the Academy and the hard work that has gone on working with our younger players. A lot of that squad are now at Melwood and part of the reserve squad which is good to see.

"This is a new campaign with a lot of new players and we hope we can do well again because we have a lot of good individual players in this team. Whether or not we can do as well as last years's team only time will tell, but we will be having a go that's for sure."

For many supporters visiting Anfield this will be their first sighting of exciting talents like winger David Amoo and 16-goal Nathan Eccleston. McAuley is certain the Reds faithful will like what they will see.

"David is a very, very quick player who likes to run at defenders and I think the fans will like his open style of play, because he is exciting to watch," he enthused.

"Nathan has been probably our most prolific goalscorer this year. He is an excellent individual player who likes to take people on and make things happen in the penalty area, and hopefully he can show what he's all about in this game. We are certainly hoping so."

Meanwhile, last season's under-18 manager John Owens is hoping McAuley's new team can emulate the success of the past two campaigns and make it three FA Youth Cup titles in a row for Liverpool.

Now academy manager, Owens worked alongside Steve Heighway when they team achieved back to back success in the competition.

"We had a really good squad the past two seasons and people always ask me 'What's the secret of winning the FA Youth Cup? The answer is quite simply having good players," said Owens.

"The nucleus of that team went to Melwood and we have a new group now. We have a lot of good individual players and the question will be can we perform as a team on the night? We certainly hope so and we have confidence that they can.

"I have watched Arsenal and they have got some very good players. They are just like their first team and very good to watch. I remember we played Chelsea last season in the competition and they had a big reputation, but we beat them 2-0 at Anfield.

"Our hope is the Arsenal players don't perform on the night and our lads can click into gear and win the game."

Supporters should note entry to the game will be through the Kop turnstiles with admission £4 for adults and £2 for juveniles (aged 16 or under) and senior citizens.

***************************************************************************************

Good luck tonight Lads....

All you locals.....get down and support our young lads tonight :kop5cf8koxp6:
      kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Reply #125: Jan 29, 2008 09:50:20 am
      Should have a good chance of winning the cup again,Man Utd got knocked out of my local side Carlisle utd the other week.
      mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      Reply #126: Jan 29, 2008 11:57:00 am
      Anyone going tonight ?
      I shall be making the journey, and giving the young 'uns my support.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #127: Jan 29, 2008 04:55:59 pm
      In work tonight! :-\ Would have loved to go, get behind the lads! I took me nephew to last years final so I'm hoping I can do the same again this season!

Good luck tonight lads! 8)
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #128: Jan 29, 2008 06:45:36 pm
      Anyone going tonight ?
      I shall be making the journey, and giving the young 'uns my support.

Well done Tommo, would of met you for a bevvy but was on a training day in work today and couldn't scarper early enough :-\
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #129: Jan 29, 2008 08:17:49 pm
      Latest Update:

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N158638080129-1903.htm

Liverpool 1 - 0 Arsenal

A deflected cross-shot from captain Steve Irwin still separates the sides as we begin the second period at Anfield.
      The right-back saw his low ball across the face of goal cannon into the net off an Arsenal defender on 24 minutes after Gunners keeper Szczesny had produced a great save to keep out David Amoo's header.

The Liverpool team in full: Bouzanis, Irwin, MacKay-Steven, Kelly, Kennedy, Ajdarevic, Kacaniklic, Amoo, Highdale, Eccleston, Pourie.

smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #130: Jan 29, 2008 08:46:13 pm
      Arse down to 10 men, minutes to go  ;) :D
      MsGerrard
      Reply #131: Jan 29, 2008 08:47:44 pm
      Arse down to 10 men, minutes to go  ;) :D

Brill Smiggs....is it still 1-0........Come on Lads
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,320 posts | 1524 
      Reply #132: Jan 29, 2008 08:53:12 pm
      Whats the latest anybody, are we still 1-0 up ? i can't stand the suspense!
      MsGerrard
      Reply #133: Jan 29, 2008 08:56:36 pm
      Final score 1-0 yeah !!!
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #134: Jan 29, 2008 08:56:52 pm
      YONG REDS GUN DOWN ARSENAL
      Paul Hassall at Anfield 29 January 2008
         Liverpool's dreams of retaining the FA Youth Cup are very much alive after they produced a mature performance to secure a hard-fought victory over Arsenal at Anfield.
      Captain Steven Irwin was the hero, as his deflected cross-shot midway through the first-half clinched a 1-0 win and booked Hughie McAuley's side's place in round five of the competition.

The Gunners came into the match boasting a trio of players who have already appeared in Arsene Wenger's first-team, but despite the obvious quality of Gavin Hoyte, Mark Randall and Kieran Gibbs, it was the Reds who created the better of the chances in an intriguing opening period.

Astrit Ajdarevic was first to show with a long range shot that flashed just wide of Wojciech Szcezesny's far post before Martin Kelly failed to divert his header goalwards after Sean Highdale's corner had found him unmarked in the six yard box.

For all their good approach play the visitors could not find a way through Liverpool's stubborn rearguard and their best chances of the half fell to Gilles Sunu and Gavin Hoyte, who both saw their efforts well saved by Aussie keeper Dean Bouzanis.

Indeed, as the period wore on the hosts grew in confidence and they were unlucky not to take lead when David Amoo's header from a Highdale cross was brilliantly saved by Szcezesny on 24 minutes.

But any sigh of relief the Arsenal players may have breathed was premature as the Reds kept the attack going before taking the lead in the most bizarre of circumstances.

Steven Irwin picked up the ball on the right side of the Gunners area and powered to the byline before delivering a low effort across goal that deflected off an Arsenal defender's arm and into the net.

It was a fortuitous strike but one that gave them the confidence to go on and dominate the remainder of the first period as they countered Arsenal's silky passing moves with some purposeful play in the wide areas.

And on 41 minutes they could have doubled their interval lead as the Arsenal defence almost suffered a fatal case of déjà vu.

David Amoo broke well down the right and when his low cross was missed by Szcezesny, it hit Paul Rodgers and would have resulted in yet another crazy own goal but Hoyte was on hand to clear from underneath his own crossbar.

It was a frustrating moment for the Reds as a second goal would have made the second period a much more comfortable proposition.

But instead, the Gunners were still in the contest and after the restart they dominated proceedings with Mark Randall seeing an effort from distance fly just over the bar while Kelly and then Dean Bouzanis reacted well to keep out Kieran Gibbs' volley.

While Steve Bould's side dominated possession, it was Liverpool who made the more clear-cut opportunities with Kelly again finding space to head just wide from another Highdale corner before Amoo was brilliantly denied by Szcezesny on 71 minutes after he was sent clean through on goal.

With time running out the away side began to look desperate and on 79 minutes Liverpool's hopes were boosted when James Dunne was given his marching orders for a second bookable offence after he brought down the dangerous Amoo for the umpteenth time.

Despite being a man down Arsenal continued to press and Liverpool were grateful to Martin Kelly for a heroic late block to deny Sanchez Watts' goalbound effort.

Not even a late appearance from Arsenal substitute Tom Cruise could inspire a last-gasp equaliser and the holders held on to secure their passage into round five.

The Liverpool team in full: Bouzanis, Irwin, MacKay-Steven, Kelly, Kennedy, Ajdarevic, Kacaniklic, Amoo, Highdale, Eccleston, Pourie (Collins 77). Unused Subs: Hansen, O'Connor, Scott, Awang.

Arsenal: Szczesny, Ogogo, Steer (Cruise , Dunne, Hoyte, Rodgers, Watts, Randall, Sunu (Thomas 71), Barazite, Gibbs. Unused subs: Shea, Nordtveit, Bartley.
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #135: Jan 29, 2008 09:06:07 pm
      Well done lads now go win the damn thing!
      F9T
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 939 posts | -10 
      • Tra la la la la
      Reply #136: Jan 29, 2008 09:08:42 pm
      Fantastic performance it sounds like, c'mon mini-reds!
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,320 posts | 1524 
      Reply #137: Jan 29, 2008 09:09:18 pm
      Brilliant! Don't want to speak too soon but has it ever been won three times on the trot before ? I think it was about 20 years or so since any one last won it twice in succesion wasn't it ? Jeees.. this is just as exciting as the full version. Can't wait for the next round now. When's the draw, any idea's.

Quick Reply