Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Liverpool FC Academy Youth Team Thread

Read 467616 times
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Re: Liverpool FC Academy Youth Team Thread
      Reply #2484: May 20, 2014 07:07:32 pm
      Still no friggin strikers though ??? Wonder if it's possible to convert one of our goalies - we've enough of them :f_tongueincheek:

It's very worrying that we have so few strikers at the Academy mate, I've been harping on about it for a couple of seasons now.

At present we've got Yesil, already 21 so will need registering for the EPL if Brendan intends using him and we really don't want to be wasting a registration spot for a player we don't even know how good he is.  He looked great when he first arrived but he's barely played for what, 18 months with his injuries.  It could take him 12 months to get back to his previous level then maybe another year to get up to elite level.  He may never reach the level required.

After that there's Sinclair, not yet 18.  He's got a long way to go to secure a starting place with the u21's never mind pushing for the 1st team.  He's struggled to do that this season despite us letting go of Morgan and Ngoo and Yesils injury.

Thinking about things though we don't really play with "a striker", we have 3 attacking players all capable of scoring all types of goals and that's mainly how the u21's have played this season too.  If I'm not mistaken I'm sure we were the top scorers in the EPL, u21's and u18's.  We weren't far off anyway.

Maybe we don't need strikers after all mate  ;)
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #2485: May 20, 2014 08:07:56 pm
      Yeah, it's a bit of a mystery tis that. The thing is though we've had plenty of strikers come in and you can clearly see that the talent is there in some of them when they firstly start playing for us. However, once they've become accustomed to the style in which LFC want to play they always come off the boil for some reason and then inevitably fail to make the next level. Are we taking something away from their game? Take Pacheco or Nemeth for just a couple of examples, both came here as outstanding talents. Where are they now?

It's not confined to just us though, I think all EPL academy's and reserves are struggling with that particular area. Even if a manager/coach thinks that perhaps a player is ready for 1st team action, he's got to be one brave fu*ker to actually play him on a match day. To a certain extent you can throw a kid on to play in defense or midfield in a Premiership match without too much consequence (to the manager/player/team), I don't think you can say the same about starting a young striker.

Hopefully this new league that they're talking about will actually happen. Surely it can only benefit our players to be experiencing playing competitively week in week out. Not just a mini-season with a few club/cup competitions thrown in along the way. It's embarrassing as a whole really to think that Rooney is the last 'outstanding' forward to have emerged. How old is he now. Sturridge could well have had the same status....but for game time!
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #2486: May 23, 2014 05:37:51 pm
      Confirmed players to have left the club: Yalany Baio, Villyan Bijev, Yusuf Mersin, Michael Ngoo, Craig Roddan, Stephen Sama and Jakub Sokolik
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #2487: May 23, 2014 10:31:31 pm
      Been hearing lately that Barca are interested in our Cameron Brannagan. Thought it was pure speculation at first, but even the broadsheets are picking up on it too.

Barcelona eye deal for Reds youngster Cameron Brannagan

Barcelona want to acquire one of Liverpool’s brightest teenage talents in a move which would deprive Brendan Rodgers of a midfielder who is on the brink of breaking through into his first-team squad.

Cameron Brannagan, who turned 18 earlier this month, underlined his status as arguably the club’s finest academy player with a stellar substitute’s performance for the first team in last week’s friendly against Shamrock Rovers. Barcelona – who have watched him for the last year – have received rave scouting reports and are seeking him for their B side. After a day of rumours on Thursday about the Spanish club’s interest in him, Brannagan enigmatically tweeted “…”. The ellipsis may have been his way of saying “watch this space”.

Liverpool’s academy coaching staff view Brannagan as a midfielder with the potential to be a top player, owing to his balance, vision and his ability with both feet. He operates as an attacking midfielder, though not in the hole behind the striker.

Some equate his balance with that of Jack Wilshere, though comparisons of any such kind are always dangerous at such an early age. He and Liverpool’s 17-year-old midfielder Jordan Rossiter are seen by some as the academy’s two brightest hopes, though Rossiter, a Liverpudlian, has been the subject of more attention in a city which is always looking for its next big footballing star.

Brannagan was brought up in Salford, in a staunch Manchester United-supporting family, though Liverpool spotted him very early and signed him to their academy as a seven-year-old. United then realised his potential and attempted to bring him to Carrington, though  Brannagan insisted that he wanted to stick with the club who had first shown interest in him.

The dimension to his game which Brannagan has yet to develop is his personality on the field. He is by no means brash and this may prove to be a significant factor if it comes down to him choosing between staying in the North-west or leaving for a new life in Spain.

Rodgers rates Brannagan highly enough to have named him on the bench for Liverpool’s FA Cup third-round tie with Oldham Athletic in January. If the game – which Liverpool won 2-0 – had been a less tense affair, Brannagan would probably have come on. He is likely to get his chance next season and Rodgers would expect to be able to keep him out of the Catalans’ clutches.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/liverpool-transfer-news-barcelona-eye-deal-for-reds-youngster-cameron-brannagan-9429041.html
      Red5man
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #2488: May 23, 2014 11:01:15 pm
      Yalany Baio is someone who I held in regard. Hope he moves to France :)
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,406 posts | 3404 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #2489: May 24, 2014 09:41:09 am
      Yalany Baio is someone who I held in regard. Hope he moves to France :)

needs to calm down a bit though...
      MiG
      • Forum Phil Babb

• 172 posts |
      Reply #2490: Aug 30, 2014 12:07:41 pm
      Harry wilson looks really good, shame he is injured, hopefully he'll be fine.
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,190 posts | 1271 
      Reply #2491: Sep 03, 2014 11:07:35 pm
      Surprised this thread isn't more active - I feel it's vital that our youth system is one of the best in the world, and being able to match the likes of Ajax and Barcelona should not be seen as over-ambitious.

My query here is that, compared to Ajax and Barcelona, do our youth side play enough football? One problem I heard with English football is that the youth systems dont do as much coaching as the more famous academies around the world. The new coaches who have come in are all top notch technical minded, but it is ESSENTIAL we invest heavily in the youth squad and essential we aspire to be the very best in the world, because we're not going to match the spending of City, Chelsea and United. All those teams - especially United at the moment -  seem hellbent on buying their trophies, so we need to desperately follow the success of the best academies in the world which make the best players rather than buying them.

If we don't focus enough attention on youth policy then we are done for, and there's not a chance of us competing at the very top. Promisingly, I think Brendan sees this too, considering his experience as a youth coach.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #2492: Sep 04, 2014 11:42:22 am
      Surprised this thread isn't more active - I feel it's vital that our youth system is one of the best in the world, and being able to match the likes of Ajax and Barcelona should not be seen as over-ambitious.

My query here is that, compared to Ajax and Barcelona, do our youth side play enough football? One problem I heard with English football is that the youth systems dont do as much coaching as the more famous academies around the world. The new coaches who have come in are all top notch technical minded, but it is ESSENTIAL we invest heavily in the youth squad and essential we aspire to be the very best in the world, because we're not going to match the spending of City, Chelsea and United. All those teams - especially United at the moment -  seem hellbent on buying their trophies, so we need to desperately follow the success of the best academies in the world which make the best players rather than buying them.

If we don't focus enough attention on youth policy then we are done for, and there's not a chance of us competing at the very top. Promisingly, I think Brendan sees this too, considering his experience as a youth coach.

I don't think it's essential for them to play more football, if you're talking competitive games.  The models you refer to, Ajax and Barca play less games but do more training with the ball.

This is something Brendan has introduced throughout the Club and the youth coaches he's brought in are the best qualified to follow his lead.

In terms of youth development we are probably the only academy in the country who look for technical skills in our new recruits as opposed to the big brutes most English clubs go for.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #2493: Sep 20, 2014 03:49:44 pm
      Well done lads on the 3-0 win against Bolton today. 

U18s beat Bolton 3-0. Sinclair, Canos & Marsh scoring.

Team: Firth, Whelan, Hart, Brewitt, Roberts, Chirivella, Wilson, Phillips, Sinclair (Nicholas), Canos, Marsh (Maxwell).
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,406 posts | 3404 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #2494: Sep 22, 2014 01:10:07 pm
      Well done lads on the 3-0 win against Bolton today. 

U18s beat Bolton 3-0. Sinclair, Canos & Marsh scoring.

Team: Firth, Whelan, Hart, Brewitt, Roberts, Chirivella, Wilson, Phillips, Sinclair (Nicholas), Canos, Marsh (Maxwell).

Annoyed that LFCTV didn't show the game, not sure what they're on at the moment, seems to be no rhyme or reason behind the games they do and don't show.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #2495: Sep 22, 2014 01:15:30 pm
      Annoyed that LFCTV didn't show the game, not sure what they're on at the moment, seems to be no rhyme or reason behind the games they do and don't show.

I agree mate.  The only think I can think of as to why they're not showing all the u18's games is due to how many younger players we have in the squad.  I think there's some ruling on 16/17 yr olds not on pro contracts but I could be wrong.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #2496: Sep 22, 2014 07:18:34 pm
      Rossiter looks like a great prospect.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #2497: Oct 18, 2014 01:27:30 pm
      U18's currently hammering Blackburn 4-0.  Marsh with his first hattick, Canos with the 4th.  That's 8 goals in 7 games for Will Marsh.

Firth; Arnold, Brewitt, Polgar, Whelan; Lewis, Ejaria, Kane; Dhanda, Nicholas, Marsh.

Subs: Wheeler; Hart, Waldron, Watts, Canos
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #2498: Oct 18, 2014 02:19:30 pm
      Marsh hat-trick sets up big U18s victory
      18th Oct 2014 - Latest News

Liverpool U18s returned to winning ways in the finest style on Saturday as Will Marsh struck a hat-trick and Sergi Canos added two more in a 5-0 thrashing of Blackburn Rovers at the Kirkby Academy.

The young Reds entered the fixture on the back of successive defeats by Manchester City and Wolverhampton Wanderers, but summoned a stellar performance to claim victory today.

Neil Critchley's team took the lead within 10 minutes of kick-off, with Marsh beginning his scoring spree by carefully dispatching a lob from distance over Rovers goalkeeper Andrew Fisher after he advanced from his position and squandered possession.

The stopper was placed much better to thwart the same Liverpool attacker shortly after, while the visiting outfit twice worked Andrew Firth with headers at the other end - Lewis Mansell and Matty Platt were the players denied.

Blackburn soon grew into the contest, restoring confidence following the early concession, and their crossing from wide areas was a consistent menace. Yet it was the hosts who provided the next telling contribution.

Herbie Kane retrieved the ball and quickly released Marsh, who took a step inside from the right and struck at Fisher's goal. The effort took a deflection and drifted into the net for the Reds' No.9's second of the encounter and 2-0 on 35 minutes.

Trent Alexander almost produced a third but directed his shot over the crossbar, leaving Marsh to further extend their advantage. Again it was Kane offering the assist to his teammate and this time it was a straightforward finish to seal a fine first-half treble.

Blackburn returned for the second half with determination to reduce their deficit and created most of the genuine chances, most notably when substitute Sam Joel collected a Mansell cutback and fired at Firth, who was fortunate to watch the hit travel off target after slipping through his grasp.

Once more, though, it was Critchley's charges offering a clinical edge. With 83 minutes on the clock, Canos and Sam Hart combined - having both been introduced from the bench - for the former to curl home a clever fourth for Liverpool.

Further gloss was added to the scoreline in stoppage time, with Alexander the creator for Canos' second. The Spaniard stormed into space and neatly dinked over the 'keeper to conclude a thoroughly handsome win.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #2499: Oct 19, 2014 10:15:04 am
      Enjoy your updates and comments on the Academy.
      This stuff keep you sane and grounded.

As seen on Football Focus  all the ex Mancs were off yesterday to support Salford City.

Trouble for the Mancs was  .....   Prescot  stuffed 'em 1-2 !    :lmao:

Admission Prices  : Adults  ÂŁ 7 squid.  Kids ÂŁ4.

Real World stuff Debs .
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,603 posts | 3843 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #2500: Dec 01, 2014 10:20:08 am
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #2501: Dec 01, 2014 12:39:43 pm
      some of these players need to get on the bench and start getting game time cant be worse than some of our staring 11
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #2502: Dec 01, 2014 12:43:12 pm
      Been seeing loads of talk of Real Madrid possibly trying to tempt Chirivella away from Liverpool. Seriously hoping they don't accomplish it.
      JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Reply #2503: Dec 01, 2014 12:55:45 pm
      Whats up with the young German boy, Yesil?
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #2504: Dec 01, 2014 09:56:28 pm
      With no LFC tv, I am struggling to keep up to date with the u21s and 18s :(

Thanks racerx34!!!
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #2505: Dec 02, 2014 06:41:25 pm

Yeah shame that Debs, I hope those injuries don't prevent him from progressing,
      Glad to hear tho he's back playing and scoring and hope his injury woes are behind him,

What of the lad Harry Wilson, he's another that caught my eye, ?

YNWA

There's a lot of u18's who need to move up a level Billy, trouble is there aren't enough games at u21's for the older players to get a good run, so it's really difficult for the younger ones to push for a place.

Harry's doing well, so is Ryan Kent and Shey Ojo but Dan Cleary (CB) and Corey Whelan (RB) have really come on this season.  Jerome Sinclair has been scoring in almost every game too which he needed to to be fair.

There's plenty to look forward to, the big problem is getting them to a level to push for the 1st team and it wouldn't surprise me if a few don't go out on shortish loans next season.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #2506: Dec 15, 2014 12:34:59 pm
      It's great that I can put the pain of yesterdays defeat behind me by watching the u18's in the FA Youth Cup tonight.

Liverpool's Academy youngsters face Bradford City in the FA Youth Cup third round at Langtree Park on Monday night - and you can watch the whole game live on LFCTV HD from 6.30pm GMT.

Kick-off in St Helens is 7pm but for the best build-up to the game, join Peter McDowall live at 6.30pm alongside former Reds David Fairclough and Neil Mellor.

The three-times winners reached the quarter-final stage last season before they lost out to Reading in a dramatic penalty shootout, and hopes are high for a good cup run once again in this campaign.

Quick Reply