Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 23rd of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W11 D4 L10

Fitness thread

Read 227422 times
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Re: Fitness thread
      Reply #1748: Sep 09, 2013 01:21:55 pm
      Can anyone point me in the direction of a decent nutrition guide/meal plan too? As the one's I find just cost way too much money to stick to!

Old saying buddy is eat clean, get lean.  It's pretty true.  So long as you are eating natural food you can absolutely pig out.  Try to get 150g+ of protein in you a day, anything over 10g of sugar (cereals, cerealbars, chocolate) avoid.  You want to get a healthy amount of carbs too....  Carbs get a bad rep but oats, sweet potato wheat pastas and so likes are brilliant energy boosters.

I eat fish every day, it's the highest source of protein and it's incredibly good for you.  Salmon, tuna, prawns mackerel should be high up on your list over chicken, turkey or steak.

Fish is also a good accompaniment to eggs.  So you can experiment with a 5 egg and spinach frittata.

When you are eating, try to also get a decent amount of veg.  It's incredibly important that your body is getting its 5 a day.  5 should be the bare minimum you eat.  It's proven that foods like spinach & broccoli actually retain muscle, so keep that in mind.

Today I have my leg day, which is the most brutal part of training just because of the size of your thighs.  This is what I will be eating.

Oats 5g + 300 ml RED milk = 8g
      Shake (Cyclone made with skimmed milk) 30g Cyclone 10g milk
      cashew Nuts & banana

Cod 30g protein & wheat pasta in a chilli tomato sauce (cherry tomatoes, peppers, spinach, red onion, feta, butternut squash, sweetcorn, leek)  Homemade

Apple

Haddock fillet (17g protein), baby new potatoes, tender-stem broccoli, asparagus, green beans

Energy gel

Workout

Cyclone shake (water) 30g protein

Oats 15g

I'm just on the verge of 150g protein, which is perfect for muscle growth.

No point working your arse off in the gym and then starving yourself to get a smaller number on the scale.

Recovery day and even after doing that disc on insanity & my crunches, I'm having little spasms in by abs.  Not painful and not often, but wondering if I should rest tomorrow.  Don't want to, but if someone knows better can inform me.  Cheers.

Hi mate.

Increase your protein intake, obviously keep hydrated.  This will repair your muscle fibres so your DOMS will go away.

As I have said previously, core can be done everyday as you use it when you move about, sit down, get up - anything.  This is different to when you are working a bicep for example where 2 times a week is the MAX and anything more will stunt the growth.
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,480 posts | 343 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #1749: Sep 09, 2013 07:16:48 pm
      Old saying buddy is eat clean, get lean.  It's pretty true.  So long as you are eating natural food you can absolutely pig out.  Try to get 150g+ of protein in you a day, anything over 10g of sugar (cereals, cerealbars, chocolate) avoid.  You want to get a healthy amount of carbs too....  Carbs get a bad rep but oats, sweet potato wheat pastas and so likes are brilliant energy boosters.

I eat fish every day, it's the highest source of protein and it's incredibly good for you.  Salmon, tuna, prawns mackerel should be high up on your list over chicken, turkey or steak.

Fish is also a good accompaniment to eggs.  So you can experiment with a 5 egg and spinach frittata.

When you are eating, try to also get a decent amount of veg.  It's incredibly important that your body is getting its 5 a day.  5 should be the bare minimum you eat.  It's proven that foods like spinach & broccoli actually retain muscle, so keep that in mind.

Today I have my leg day, which is the most brutal part of training just because of the size of your thighs.  This is what I will be eating.

Oats 5g + 300 ml RED milk = 8g
      Shake (Cyclone made with skimmed milk) 30g Cyclone 10g milk
      cashew Nuts & banana

Cod 30g protein & wheat pasta in a chilli tomato sauce (cherry tomatoes, peppers, spinach, red onion, feta, butternut squash, sweetcorn, leek)  Homemade

Apple

Haddock fillet (17g protein), baby new potatoes, tender-stem broccoli, asparagus, green beans

Energy gel

Workout

Cyclone shake (water) 30g protein

Oats 15g

I'm just on the verge of 150g protein, which is perfect for muscle growth.

No point working your arse off in the gym and then starving yourself to get a smaller number on the scale.

Hi mate.

Increase your protein intake, obviously keep hydrated.  This will repair your muscle fibres so your DOMS will go away.

As I have said previously, core can be done everyday as you use it when you move about, sit down, get up - anything.  This is different to when you are working a bicep for example where 2 times a week is the MAX and anything more will stunt the growth.

Cheers buddy! I'm doing my best, I've been told to brownbag food and bring it to work. (I work in retail and surrounded by unhealthy options)

I don't eat fish or nuts unfortunately as I don't like either but I do eat a lot of chicken and beef. Turkey the odd time.
      Veg I have improved on I just need to buy it on the day I need it though as I used to buy it with my weeks shop and then it just goes to waste.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #1750: Sep 11, 2013 10:57:07 am
      You should probably do 2 days on 1 day off early on in your training.

Did my crunches, but gave insanity a miss, back on it today.  Already noticing tiny changes, my belts already down a notch in less than 2 weeks, there is a bit of firmness where none lurked before, under my tubby tummy and my flexibility is much better especially my around my hips.  Can honestly say this is the first day I've not been in pain straight after exercising, I can see me hurting later on this afternoon
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,597 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #1751: Sep 11, 2013 11:04:20 am
      Did my crunches, but gave insanity a miss, back on it today.  Already noticing tiny changes, my belts already down a notch in less than 2 weeks, there is a bit of firmness where none lurked before, under my tubby tummy and my flexibility is much better especially my around my hips.  Can honestly say this is the first day I've not been in pain straight after exercising, I can see me hurting later on this afternoon

Took me 2 1/2 weeks to figure out how to get rid of shin splints.
      Fairly painful stuff. Glad to finally sort it.

Lost a bit of weight, like you said the belt has come down a notch.

Overdid it the the last two days. 7k Mon. 2k and crossfit Tues.
      Taking a rest day today.
      little-Luis:)
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #1752: Sep 12, 2013 09:32:59 am
      How have you upped the distance Racer? Are you taking short breaks or is it a straight run? I still can't up my distance a whole lot. Kinda annoyed at it as I used to be very fit and want to get back to that level, where I could run quite a bit.

Just moved house with a gym pretty near so gonna join that soon as well.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,597 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #1753: Sep 12, 2013 05:32:09 pm
      How have you upped the distance Racer? Are you taking short breaks or is it a straight run? I still can't up my distance a whole lot. Kinda annoyed at it as I used to be very fit and want to get back to that level, where I could run quite a bit.

Just moved house with a gym pretty near so gonna join that soon as well.

Started by doing 5k.

Run. Walk. Run. Walk. Walk. (Rep ;D)

Then I was doing crossfit in between runs.

Now I can run about half distance before I need to walk it off for a few minutes and go again.
      Currently at a 30 min 5k. Looking to get it down to 20 min. That'll mean constant running.

Aim is to eventually get to 10k this year.

I've done 7 and 8 k distances, but they haven't been very fast.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,246 posts | 6364 
      Reply #1754: Sep 13, 2013 01:20:14 am
      Started by doing 5k.

Now I can run about half distance before I need to walk it off for a few minutes and go again.
      Currently at a 30 min 5k. Looking to get it down to 20 min. That'll mean constant running.

So how long is it going to take you to get down to a 20 min 5k?

I've been running pretty steady for about 10 years now....still can't break 20 min...my best time is right above 24 minutes.

If you can run a 20min 5k you are cooking, good for you!

Looking to do another half marathon in November myself.....have a 9 miler to complete tomorrow which is kind of a "go / no go" run for me. If I can complete it in a reasonable time then I can probably be ready for the race in November...if not then I may have to re-evaulate.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,597 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #1755: Sep 13, 2013 10:20:17 am
      So how long is it going to take you to get down to a 20 min 5k?

I've been running pretty steady for about 10 years now....still can't break 20 min...my best time is right above 24 minutes.

If you can run a 20min 5k you are cooking, good for you!

Looking to do another half marathon in November myself.....have a 9 miler to complete tomorrow which is kind of a "go / no go" run for me. If I can complete it in a reasonable time then I can probably be ready for the race in November...if not then I may have to re-evaulate.

I can get my pace down to a 6 minute mile, for a mile.
      At the moment I'm working on carrying that pace over distance.

Recently that's been a kilometre on and a kilometre off. (Yes I know I'm now talking in Kilometres)
      Did 7k on Monday and then Crossfit Tues.
      Took a day off Wed and then went running yesterday.

Tried to push the pace out yesterday.
      Went for 2.5k, but then my legs went and I dropped to a walk for the rest of the run.

Hope the long runs are working for you.
      Set myself a goal of a 10K in the next  couple of months.

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #1756: Sep 13, 2013 10:28:22 am
      Started by doing 5k.

Breaks could be they key alright. Even to just catch a breath. A lot of it could be mental too. I might try running on grass instead perhaps instead of the road.

Was doing 3k in around 15 minutes. Want to get up to 5k really. I just moved house so there's a lot of new routes around so I'm thinking I just run 2k away from home so I have to run another 2k back home!!
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,597 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #1757: Sep 13, 2013 10:30:28 am
      Breaks could be they key alright. Even to just catch a breath. A lot of it could be mental too. I might try running on grass instead perhaps instead of the road.

Was doing 3k in around 15 minutes. Want to get up to 5k really. I just moved house so there's a lot of new routes around so I'm thinking I just run 2k away from home so I have to run another 2k back home!!

Yeah, that's pretty much what I do.
      I have Couch 2 5k and have just got Zombies, Run!.

Makes it easy to track your run, for distances.
      Eventually you'll figure out what loops are what distances.

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #1758: Sep 13, 2013 10:46:03 am
      Yeah, that's pretty much what I do.
      I have Couch 2 5k and have just got Zombies, Run!.

Makes it easy to track your run, for distances.
      Eventually you'll figure out what loops are what distances.

I'm using the Nike+ app. Came with the iPhone so when I got a new phone, I just carried over the account and have mu music there too.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,246 posts | 6364 
      Reply #1759: Sep 13, 2013 11:17:15 am
      I can get my pace down to a 6 minute mile, for a mile.
      At the moment I'm working on carrying that pace over distance.

Recently that's been a kilometre on and a kilometre off. (Yes I know I'm now talking in Kilometres)
      Did 7k on Monday and then Crossfit Tues.
      Took a day off Wed and then went running yesterday.

Tried to push the pace out yesterday.
      Went for 2.5k, but then my legs went and I dropped to a walk for the rest of the run.

Hope the long runs are working for you.
      Set myself a goal of a 10K in the next  couple of months.

The interval runs are good for increasing your speed and stamina. I try to do intervals at least once a week. Usually mine consist of running at a pretty good pace (~7-7:30/mile) for a quarter of a mile, then walking for a tenth. I do that typically for about 3-4 miles. My actual race pace still isn't where I want it....around 8:40/mile. I would really like to be down near 8/mile. For the half marathon though I'd be happy with a 9 minute pace. We'll see.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #1760: Sep 14, 2013 09:51:27 am
      6kg lost this week.  Quite happy with that, especially as I had more rest days than intended due to overtime and shitty buses.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,358 posts | 1028 
      Reply #1761: Sep 14, 2013 03:44:02 pm
      6kg lost this week.  Quite happy with that, especially as I had more rest days than intended due to overtime and shitty buses.
      Well done mate, do you take anything to aid weight loss?
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #1762: Sep 14, 2013 04:33:18 pm
      Well done mate, do you take anything to aid weight loss?

Nope, just eat less and exercise.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,968 posts | 3052 
      Reply #1763: Sep 14, 2013 05:17:04 pm

To be honest Rodders an industry has been created around a weight loss "silver bullet". Ultimately if there's a pound or two that needs shifting you've just nailed the key components!

The rest is just sugar free icing on the carrot cake!
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #1764: Sep 16, 2013 09:47:45 am
      6kg?  Wow - that's 13lbs.....  Almost 1 stone.... In a WEEK?

That's pretty incredible.

Anybody fancy doing circuits and putting on their best time?  As a kind of competition?

50 burpees, best I've done so far is 2 minutes 45 seconds.  The final 15 are so painful !
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,423 posts | 4581 
      Reply #1765: Sep 16, 2013 10:13:31 am
      Down to 75KG in weight, pretty lean at the mo and hitting the gym after a 2 week absence due to throat infection.

Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #1766: Sep 16, 2013 10:23:19 am

Anybody fancy doing circuits and putting on their best time?  As a kind of competition?

50 burpees, best I've done so far is 2 minutes 45 seconds.  The final 15 are so painful !

Not so incredible taking into account my tub of of lard starting weight.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,597 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #1767: Sep 16, 2013 10:56:39 am

Hard to compare circuit training in Crossfit, but we do a mile test and 50 burpees.
      Mine was a 6 min mile and 50 burpees.
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #1768: Sep 19, 2013 03:59:01 pm
      I did a 7 minute mile last night and it absolutely killed me.

Need to focus more on my running (I did my ankle in 5 a side a couple of years ago)

I split my workouts with weights and HIT, but as it's short bursts I now realise that my overall stamina isn't that great.

Still, on April 14th I was 228.5 - now I'm 190 dead.

37.35% body fat down to 20.82% today....

Able do 15 perfect form 120kg deadlifts in a row without fainting! (when I first started, my 1 rep max was 70kg)
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,597 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #1769: Sep 19, 2013 04:16:03 pm
      Dosed with a cold all week.
      Cancelled all my training commitments.

It's bloody frustrating as I wanted to push on with my running this week,
      but trying to work through the cold destroyed me in two sessions so I'm resting up.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #1770: Sep 19, 2013 05:12:40 pm
      Dosed with a cold all week.
      Cancelled all my training commitments.

It's bloody frustrating as I wanted to push on with my running this week,
      but trying to work through the cold destroyed me in two sessions so I'm resting up.

Insomnia screwed me this week, stuck to my restrictive diet though.  You'd think I'd be knackered most nights, after exwercising, but I seem to have more as my weight has gone down and can't get to sleep and the sleeping tablets (prescribed and over-the-counter) make me feel ill.

Quick Reply