Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

Fitness thread

Read 227821 times
      Paisleydalglish
      Re: Fitness thread
      Reply #1840: Dec 17, 2014 02:05:02 pm
      Dang man, that's smoking fast. I could only ever dream of running that fast. My oldest son, now that's a different story. He whipped my butt on Thanksgiving day, we ran a 5k race. Beat me by about 5 minutes :(

I'm with you on the marathon thing, I've always wanted to do one but never wanted to train for one if that makes sense.

I just don't have the want to do one at all mate..

I've never really been a 'runner', only really after I finished football and to keep fit really.. But then my competitive side kicks in and I need to better myself.. After out second kid my mrs got the bug and I went along with it then, we moved house and out in the country now so cancelled the gym.. Everyone kept saying once I'd done a 10k it would be half marathon and then you wouldn't resist a full..
      I've done 4 half now and literally no intention or interest in a full

My mrs is doing one for charity with her friend who's dad passed away suddenly but I don't think it will be more than a one off, she enjoys halfs but not really into the training of a full.

Don't know what's next.. I'm doing 5ks around 18.30, I'm not sure if I'll be able to shave much more than say a minute off the 10.. So probably try for under 39 now as a target
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #1841: Dec 17, 2014 02:07:20 pm
      I just don't have the want to do one at all mate..

I've never really been a 'runner', only really after I finished football and to keep fit really.. But then my competitive side kicks in and I need to better myself.. After out second kid my mrs got the bug and I went along with it then, we moved house and out in the country now so cancelled the gym.. Everyone kept saying once I'd done a 10k it would be half marathon and then you wouldn't resist a full..
      I've done 4 half now and literally no intention or interest in a full

My mrs is doing one for charity with her friend who's dad passed away suddenly but I don't think it will be more than a one off, she enjoys halfs but not really into the training of a full.

Don't know what's next.. I'm doing 5ks around 18.30, I'm not sure if I'll be able to shave much more than say a minute off the 10.. So probably try for under 39 now as a target

Yea half's are about all I want to do. Now that I did this triathlon I'm kind of getting the bug to do another one of those...I've gotten pretty bored of running lately. At least being on the bike and swimming is a good mix up.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #1842: Dec 17, 2014 02:12:45 pm
      Yea half's are about all I want to do. Now that I did this triathlon I'm kind of getting the bug to do another one of those...I've gotten pretty bored of running lately. At least being on the bike and swimming is a good mix up.

They do some local 'duathlons' near me with run and bike, I've been tempted to try one of those

I'm not that quick on the bike though like
      LazyFingers
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 892 posts | 22 
      Reply #1843: Feb 16, 2015 03:17:11 pm
      There's a 5KM on the 14th of next month that I'm hoping to run so I'm cutting my distances down for a few weeks.

I ran 3KM in 12 minutes 38 seconds today. I think with a race route where I didn't have to stop for traffic I'd take, say, 18 seconds off of that (insane roughtimation ha). Then with race day adrenaline, well, who knows how positively that'll effect me. A lot I'd imagine.

I think I could run the race in just under 21 minutes if I put the effort in, and hopefully by the summer I'll get that sub 20 minute 5KM that I dream of.

PaisleyDalglish, I'm full of envy for your running times! Someday...
      LazyFingers
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 892 posts | 22 
      Reply #1844: Feb 16, 2015 03:20:15 pm
      FL Red, it's awesome that you get to run with your son! If I'm to ever have kids I'd love to be able to run with them.

I've little interest in a marathon (halfs all the way, without the need to refuel during it!) too, but I'd love to run a relaxed ultramarathon someday at maybe a 6KM/minute pace!
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,610 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #1845: Feb 16, 2015 03:39:05 pm
      Do my first proper 5k in a year this weekend.
      Haven't done any proper running for it this time.
      The cold weather was F***ing up my breathing,
      so I did two months of crossfit/Strength and Conditioning.

Moment of truth approaching.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,495 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #1846: Feb 16, 2015 06:05:03 pm
      Do my first proper 5k in a year this weekend.
      Haven't done any proper running for it this time.
      The cold weather was f**king up my breathing,
      so I did two months of crossfit/Strength and Conditioning.

Moment of truth approaching.

Good luck Race, sure you'll nail it.

I've got Lanzarote in 3 weeks so desperately need to ditch the beef on some sort of crash diet and exercise programme.

Any ideas anybody?
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #1847: Feb 16, 2015 06:07:11 pm

Run 3 miles in the morning and 3 miles in the evening and don't eat anything. ;D

Seriously though, you can probably ditch 5-7 lbs in that time by eating very low fat, low calorie intake diet, but that would be pretty extreme even.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,495 posts | 4839 
      Reply #1848: Feb 16, 2015 06:13:45 pm

Run 3 miles in the morning and 3 miles in the evening and don't eat anything. ;D

Seriously though, you can probably ditch 5-7 lbs in that time by eating very low fat, low calorie intake diet, but that would be pretty extreme even.

Ha ha besides the don't eat anything bit that's not too far off. Doing 2.5k morning and night from today. Been at the gym last three weeks but in no routine as there's been all sorts going on like Liverpool on the tv a lot (drink) engagement and birthday parties (drink).

The exercise bit is okay but it's the eating bit which I don't know too much about like what to have and when.

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #1849: Feb 16, 2015 06:20:33 pm
      Ha ha besides the don't eat anything bit that's not too far off. Doing 2.5k morning and night from today. Been at the gym last three weeks but in no routine as there's been all sorts going on like Liverpool on the tv a lot (drink) engagement and birthday parties (drink).

The exercise bit is okay but it's the eating bit which I don't know too much about like what to have and when.

Eating is the hard part for me as well. I've been pretty active for the last 20 years or so but I like to eat and it's where I struggle.

I can do ok for a year or so but eventually I'll get tired of eating super healthy and fall off the wagon and indulge myself for a few months. I tend to bounce (in cycles) between about 175 lbs and 205 lbs. I've come to realize I'm never going to have the 6-pack abs again but I'm trying to at least not have the beer gut.

When I've done my best, it usually comes down more to portion size than anything else. I don't deny myself anything necessarily, I just try and eat smaller portions and push away from the table sooner.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #1850: Feb 16, 2015 06:23:21 pm

There's an app Dave called My Fitness Pal which will probably keep you diciplined for that period.

You put your stats in and if you want to lose weight or maintain.. You input your food and exercise for the day which is easy to do. It sets and logs your calories and helps keep you on track

That should aid the food intake to where you wanna be
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,495 posts | 4839 
      Reply #1851: Feb 16, 2015 06:27:33 pm
      Eating is the hard part for me as well. I've been pretty active for the last 20 years or so but I like to eat and it's where I struggle.

I can do ok for a year or so but eventually I'll get tired of eating super healthy and fall off the wagon and indulge myself for a few months. I tend to bounce (in cycles) between about 175 lbs and 205 lbs. I've come to realize I'm never going to have the 6-pack abs again but I'm trying to at least not have the beer gut.

When I've done my best, it usually comes down more to portion size than anything else. I don't deny myself anything necessarily, I just try and eat smaller portions and push away from the table sooner.

****puts 2 of the 4 chicken breasts I'm about to have for tea back in the pack****

There's an app Dave called My Fitness Pal which will probably keep you diciplined for that period.

You put your stats in and if you want to lose weight or maintain.. You input your food and exercise for the day which is easy to do. It sets and logs your calories and helps keep you on track

Will have a look in a minute thanks Johnny boy.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #1852: Feb 16, 2015 06:29:10 pm

I used that app for about 3 weeks.

If you are religious in your use of it, it will definitely keep you disciplined, but for me it just became so tedious that it sent me over the edge.

It's really easy to use and what I was hoping is that after using it for awhile, I'd be more aware of the calories I was getting and for that I think it worked.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #1853: Feb 16, 2015 06:37:29 pm
      I used that app for about 3 weeks.

If you are religious in your use of it, it will definitely keep you disciplined, but for me it just became so tedious that it sent me over the edge.

It's really easy to use and what I was hoping is that after using it for awhile, I'd be more aware of the calories I was getting and for that I think it worked.

Yeah I used it for 6-8 weeks or so once. That's why I said for Daves short period before holiday he could stay diciplined in using it everyday for that period.

It's easy enough to use, even with scanning barcodes of food.

For a shortish timescale it's handy.. Once you have achieved your goal you tend to get bored of logging it all everyday.

But it helps you stay switched on for a bit and guilty of you go over

It should work before holiday
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #1854: Feb 16, 2015 06:51:25 pm
      Yeah I used it for 6-8 weeks or so once. That's why I said for Daves short period before holiday he could stay diciplined in using it everyday for that period.

It's easy enough to use, even with scanning barcodes of food.

For a shortish timescale it's handy.. Once you have achieved your goal you tend to get bored of logging it all everyday.

But it helps you stay switched on for a bit and guilty of you go over

It should work before holiday

Yep, that's a really good shout, didn't even think about that.

It's cool for dining out as well because I noticed a lot of the places I went, someone had already logged all of the nutrionals so I just had to select my serving size and everything was there.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,610 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #1855: Feb 17, 2015 09:41:30 am
      Good luck Race, sure you'll nail it.

I've got Lanzarote in 3 weeks so desperately need to ditch the beef on some sort of crash diet and exercise programme.

Any ideas anybody?

Quick fix?
      Ditch the carbs.

Protein, fruit and veg, some rice/potatoe.
      No bread, no pasta, no take aways, no beer.
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #1856: Feb 17, 2015 12:46:37 pm
      Best way to lean up?

Brutal calorie reduction ie cut out carbs and sugars.
      Try and live on about 550 cal a day for two days a week (three days if you are feeling masochistic).

The other days, just eat low carb low sugar etc. No alcohol etc.
      Drink lots of water.
      Maybe 3 days a week do some high rep weights program.
      Natural fats in moderation are ok. They're needed for hormones and different processes.

Its not (that!) easy. But its simple and it WILL work.

Some/many people would rather a few weeks of sh*t, than months of it.

You can do variations of it. For instance, a week off. Or more protein.

Its called the Fast Diet (as in "fasting").

The tricky part is getting thro the 1st week. Some people get "carb fog" (their brain lacks focus due to the lack of carbs). After a while your body adapts to burning fat rather than demanding carbs/sugars etc.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,495 posts | 4839 
      Reply #1857: Feb 19, 2015 12:21:05 pm
      Quick fix?
      Ditch the carbs.

Protein, fruit and veg, some rice/potatoe.
      No bread, no pasta, no take aways, no beer.

Vodka?

And thanks  ;)
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,610 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #1858: Feb 20, 2015 10:46:12 pm

Smirnoff?
      Yes.

Tequila, Bacardi/Rum, Cider.
      Just be sensible.

I should quantify that.
      Smirnoff is corn based, not grain, and I don't eat gluten/wheat.

Edit:
      Probably going to have to miss the 5k.
      Trained like mad, but picked up a bug this week and been out for 3 days.
      Run is tomorrow. Bummed out.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #1859: Feb 21, 2015 09:19:16 am
      LazyFingers
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 892 posts | 22 
      Reply #1860: Apr 02, 2015 06:36:46 pm
      Three weeks ago I ran a 5KM race in 20:51 seconds, today I found out there's another local 5KM race in four weeks. So I'm going to spend a while this evening thinking up a training plan, for the next twenty eight days I'm going to work towards training to run it in 19:59 or lower! It's been a goal since I started running properly last July!
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,610 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #1861: Apr 02, 2015 08:27:20 pm
      Three weeks ago I ran a 5KM race in 20:51 seconds, today I found out there's another local 5KM race in four weeks. So I'm going to spend a while this evening thinking up a training plan, for the next twenty eight days I'm going to work towards training to run it in 19:59 or lower! It's been a goal since I started running properly last July!

Nice time. Good luck!
      LazyFingers
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 892 posts | 22 
      Reply #1862: Apr 10, 2015 06:44:12 pm
      Thankin' ya Racer!
      I found out of another race I can run too, it's next weekend so I'll have two chances to try for it within two weeks.

And I ran 26KM on Monday, my longest distance to date :P

Quick Reply