Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Fitness thread

Read 225690 times
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,050 posts | 6294 
      Re: Fitness thread
      Reply #1886: Jan 08, 2016 06:50:35 pm
      Back to the gym today... Dread setting in, may go badly.

Hahaha.

I've been switching up my meals. Trying to eat 6 small meals per day instead of 3 bigger ones. Intervals of about 2 hours. Trying to get back on the wagon with some better, healthier choices. Have dropped about 3 lbs already this week and I don't have the afternoon "bonk" in energy that I used to have. I've always been a runner so that hasn't changed, but would like to get some strength training back into my routine too.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #1887: Jan 08, 2016 08:04:24 pm
      Hahaha.

I've been switching up my meals. Trying to eat 6 small meals per day instead of 3 bigger ones. Intervals of about 2 hours. Trying to get back on the wagon with some better, healthier choices. Have dropped about 3 lbs already this week and I don't have the afternoon "bonk" in energy that I used to have. I've always been a runner so that hasn't changed, but would like to get some strength training back into my routine too.

Ah nice, what kind of things would you have now? Been thinking about changing diet up a little.

Gym went well today can still do squats without falling over... I'll take that.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,050 posts | 6294 
      Reply #1888: Jan 08, 2016 08:10:56 pm
      Ah nice, what kind of things would you have now? Been thinking about changing diet up a little.

Gym went well today can still do squats without falling over... I'll take that.

Here's an example of what I eat....

Breakfast, 1/2 cup cooked oats with little brown sugar and a little 1% milk and some fresh fruit. First snack usually a handful of almonds and a hard boiled egg. Lunch is usually a whole wheat wrap with 3 slices of turkey, some carrots and some fruit. Next snack is maybe greek yogurt, dinner usually something like grilled chicken breasts with some vegatables and guacamole and for a later snack a couple  cups of popcorn.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #1889: Jan 08, 2016 08:57:55 pm
      Here's an example of what I eat....

Breakfast, 1/2 cup cooked oats with little brown sugar and a little 1% milk and some fresh fruit. First snack usually a handful of almonds and a hard boiled egg. Lunch is usually a whole wheat wrap with 3 slices of turkey, some carrots and some fruit. Next snack is maybe greek yogurt, dinner usually something like grilled chicken breasts with some vegatables and guacamole and for a later snack a couple  cups of popcorn.

Sounds good mate, healthy but a lot of good taste in there too.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,050 posts | 6294 
      Reply #1890: Jan 08, 2016 09:56:08 pm
      Sounds good mate, healthy but a lot of good taste in there too.

It's not too bad so far...I'll be honest, I've a real sweet tooth so I'm really tempted by desserts. That's the tough part for me. I also don't love veggies too much either so trying to figure out some ways to integrate them into my diet. I'm really hoping that by eating more small meals I'll condition myself to get full faster and not overeat.
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,479 posts | 342 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #1891: Feb 18, 2016 05:28:41 pm
      Back on the train. Doing my own HIIT, and then eating from Joe Wicks' book, Lean in 15.

First day today, cooked a poached egg for the first time. Eating salmon (heavily seasoned, I hate fish!) and have tried Cashew Nuts for the first time.

Just looking to tone up and have rid of me belly!
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,050 posts | 6294 
      Reply #1892: Feb 18, 2016 06:14:24 pm
      It's not too bad so far...I'll be honest, I've a real sweet tooth so I'm really tempted by desserts. That's the tough part for me. I also don't love veggies too much either so trying to figure out some ways to integrate them into my diet. I'm really hoping that by eating more small meals I'll condition myself to get full faster and not overeat.

So haven't stuck to eating multiple times a day, instead trying to do an 80/20 routine. 80% of my meals are either small portion or healthy foods (or both ideally) and 20% are "splurge" type meals. To be honest, I haven't been splurging that much. I've dropped 12lbs at last check (last Friday), really would like to drop about 13 more. I am in better running shape though as I've upped my mileage quite a bit.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,115 posts | 4878 
      Reply #1893: Feb 18, 2016 07:04:46 pm
      So haven't stuck to eating multiple times a day, instead trying to do an 80/20 routine. 80% of my meals are either small portion or healthy foods (or both ideally) and 20% are "splurge" type meals. To be honest, I haven't been splurging that much. I've dropped 12lbs at last check (last Friday), really would like to drop about 13 more. I am in better running shape though as I've upped my mileage quite a bit.

I've cut down on my eating as well FL but just trying to eat healthy and only had one bottle of wine since Jan 03.

Just back from a run and I've built up to just over 3 miles now which I'm doing in just over 26 mins.

Not trying to post massive times just yet more building up a bit of distance.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,050 posts | 6294 
      Reply #1894: Feb 18, 2016 07:35:55 pm
      I've cut down on my eating as well FL but just trying to eat healthy and only had one bottle of wine since Jan 03.

Just back from a run and I've built up to just over 3 miles now which I'm doing in just over 26 mins.

Not trying to post massive times just yet more building up a bit of distance.
      I'm just now able to get a sub 26 minute 5k. Really would like to get a bit faster. But my long run is up to 9 miles, next scheduled long run will be 10 miles next Monday.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #1895: Mar 29, 2016 08:43:29 pm
      First session back at gym for a long time today. Weighed in at 18.10 this morning.

Banana for breakfast, chicken salad for lunch and a spag bol for tea. The tea bit will get healthier but the bolognese had to be eaten today.

Only managed 1600 metres on the track in the gym split into 200m bursts with some weights in between. Not too bad considering it must be over 6 months since I've been in.

Determined this time.
      Firepool
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,274 posts | 224 
      • @Jenns_Design
      Reply #1896: Mar 30, 2016 01:23:51 am
      Went for a run during my lunch break. I ran for 2.34 miles in 29 minutes 14 seconds.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #1897: Mar 30, 2016 08:03:52 am
      Went for a run during my lunch break. I ran for 2.34 miles in 29 minutes 14 seconds.

Damn. I got beat by a girl. 
      Firepool
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,274 posts | 224 
      • @Jenns_Design
      Reply #1898: Apr 08, 2016 03:26:18 am
      I have decided to sign up for my first 10k. It is at the end of May. Time to train and get myself ready.

Ran 3.4 miles on Tuesday.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #1899: Apr 08, 2016 10:56:11 am
      I have decided to sign up for my first 10k. It is at the end of May. Time to train and get myself ready.

8 weeks. Plenty of time.
      Lean off in the last two weeks to keep fresh for the run.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,050 posts | 6294 
      Reply #1900: Apr 08, 2016 01:21:48 pm
      8 weeks. Plenty of time.
      Lean off in the last two weeks to keep fresh for the run.

Respectfully, I'd say no need for that much of a taper (if I'm understand Racer correctly), in fact I'd suggest the opposite....hit heaviest mileage the week before your run, run normal first couple days of the run week and take a couple days of rest before the run, that's all your body should need if you are in shape. I've increased my speed immensely and it's been by logging much more mileage and pushing my body as hard as I can. Last fall, I could barely finish 5k in a 9 min/mile pace. Just did 10 miles this morning at an 8:45 pace and I wasn't pushing as hard as I could have. My 5k pace is now in the high 7's and it's because I piled on the mileage.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #1901: Apr 08, 2016 01:30:43 pm

If you can do more than 5k already then you'll have no problem as long as you stay injury free.

You've reminded me that it's probably time for me to put the 'bad weather' excuse to bed and get back out there myself!

I've got a scenic route by me that is 5k and that's plenty enough for me to do 4 times a week.  I haven't been running this year though so it will probably take me 3 attempts to be able to do it without throwing a couple of mid-way walks in!

I could probably do with shedding about 10 kilos - that would probably put me to my lowest adult weight!
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #1902: Apr 08, 2016 02:40:49 pm
      Respectfully, I'd say no need for that much of a taper (if I'm understand Racer correctly), in fact I'd suggest the opposite....hit heaviest mileage the week before your run, run normal first couple days of the run week and take a couple days of rest before the run, that's all your body should need if you are in shape. I've increased my speed immensely and it's been by logging much more mileage and pushing my body as hard as I can. Last fall, I could barely finish 5k in a 9 min/mile pace. Just did 10 miles this morning at an 8:45 pace and I wasn't pushing as hard as I could have. My 5k pace is now in the high 7's and it's because I piled on the mileage.

As JD has mentioned there, my worry would be picking up an injury or suffering from burnout.
      I've suffered both in the run up to races and found taking a week off, with light runs, meant I
      was fresh for the 10k.

She's already hitting 5k so it's all good.
      Sometimes I found the 10k easier.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,050 posts | 6294 
      Reply #1903: Apr 08, 2016 02:49:29 pm
      As JD has mentioned there, my worry would be picking up an injury or suffering from burnout.
      I've suffered both in the run up to races and found taking a week off, with light runs, meant I
      was fresh for the 10k.

She's already hitting 5k so it's all good.
      Sometimes I found the 10k easier.

Good point. Burnout wasn't an issue for me because I was really running for weight loss reasons more than racing reasons so the more I ran the more weight I lost. Of course now that I'm faster and lighter with better endurance, I've found that I feel better (injury free) than I have in 20 years.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #1904: Apr 08, 2016 03:32:34 pm
      Been cycling 150-250 miles a week for the last month. Only using a cheap bike, as I'm a way too big and don't want to destroy a decent one. It fell apart on my way home last night. Wednesday at the earliest now, until the parts arrive and I leave for Liverpool early Thursday. Let myself get far too big this time.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,050 posts | 6294 
      Reply #1905: Apr 08, 2016 03:45:16 pm
      Been cycling 150-250 miles a week for the last month. Only using a cheap bike, as I'm a way too big and don't want to destroy a decent one. It fell apart on my way home last night. Wednesday at the earliest now, until the parts arrive and I leave for Liverpool early Thursday. Let myself get far too big this time.

Holy crap, that's a lot of miles. I'll be "that guy" and tell you, you should really get yourself a good bike if you can. Would make a world of difference. More reliable, easier to ride, etc......

Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #1906: Apr 08, 2016 03:55:43 pm
      Holy crap, that's a lot of miles. I'll be "that guy" and tell you, you should really get yourself a good bike if you can. Would make a world of difference. More reliable, easier to ride, etc......

I destroy them, especially at my current weight. I am getting a much better one, when the cycle to work scheme kicks in, but I avoid using it until I'm at the around the 17-18st (100-114kg) mark. Around New Year, when I was pushing close to 30st (190kg) I started doing short distances and have built it up. Down to around 24st (154kg).  This will be the eleventh time I've lost more than 10st, really got to stop putting it all back on. It's getting ridiculous now and I've have clothes for all the weights up and down that scale.
      Firepool
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,274 posts | 224 
      • @Jenns_Design
      Reply #1907: Apr 13, 2016 02:03:28 am
      Ran 3.5 miles today. My pace was 12:10 minute per mile. I was a little quicker than last Tuesday which my pace was 12:39 minute per mile.

Feeling good after each run.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,050 posts | 6294 
      Reply #1908: Apr 13, 2016 02:09:36 am
      Ran 3.5 miles today. My pace was 12:10 minute per mile. I was a little quicker than last Tuesday which my pace was 12:39 minute per mile.

Feeling good after each run.

Make sure to work some longer runs into your training and on some days, add in some speed work.

Fartleker runs....or intervals. Basically run hard for a minute, then walk  for a minute. Rinse and repeat 10-15 times. :)

Quick Reply