Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

José "Pepe" Reina (Liverpool -> Bayern Munich -> Napoli)

Read 234124 times
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Re: Jose Reina Player Thread
      Reply #115: Sep 09, 2007 07:39:59 pm
      I'm sorry, but are Atletico Madrid taking the p**s? They can keep their filthy mits off our Pepe! He's not going anywhere. The cheek!!

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_2718089,00.html

Atletico Madrid are reported to have set their sights on luring Jose Reina away from Liverpool and back to La Liga.

Spanish daily AS claims Atletico have made the former Villarreal goalkeeper one of their top transfer targets.

Atletico are searching for a new goalkeeper with Leo Franco failing to perform on a consistent basis and Christian Abbiati only being on loan until the end of the season.

The capital club are believed to have sounded out Reina's representatives to find out if the keeper would be interested in a move back to Spain.

However, Liverpool are unlikely to entertain any move for Reina who is firmly established as the No 1 at Anfield.

Reina has previously expressed his happiness at Anfield and he signed a new deal earlier in the summer to keep him at the club until 2012.

smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #116: Sep 09, 2007 08:40:15 pm
      They can try all they like RK, Pepe is ours !!  He's shown how much he's committed to the club by signing his new contract till 2012.  I mean, realistically, what can he achieve there that he cant achieve with the Mighty Reds - buggar all !!  ;) :D :D
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #117: Sep 09, 2007 08:56:37 pm
      They can try all they like RK, Pepe is ours !!  He's shown how much he's committed to the club by signing his new contract till 2012.  I mean, realistically, what can he achieve there that he cant achieve with the Mighty Reds - buggar all !!  ;) :D :D

Indeed Smiggs. I was slightly offended though, so felt the need to let it out!  ;) ;D
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #118: Sep 09, 2007 09:00:25 pm
      Don't be so sensitive  ;) ;D  But if you want to let it out, who am I to stop you  :D :D :D  :o :o :o
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #119: Sep 09, 2007 09:23:15 pm
      Don't be so sensitive  ;) ;D  But if you want to let it out, who am I to stop you  :D :D :D  :o :o :o

:lmao:

Sometimes you just have to get it off your chest, you know what I mean Smigger?  :o :o :D :D

I personally think Pepe's one of the best in Europe, if not the world. So Atletico must be deluded!  ;)
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #120: Sep 10, 2007 09:17:56 am
      Well to get something off my chest... TBH Atletico can have him.

Can they sh*te!!  Pepe wouldn't of signed til 2012 otherwise!

Maybe they are feeling a little heartbroke that we have Fernando, so they're trying to nick another one of out bigger players.

They took Luis Garcia off us when they didn't need to, so fair exchange really!

They can look elsewhere!
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #121: Nov 16, 2007 12:18:05 pm
      Carragher backs Reina as the best in the World (on the day of Carson playing for the national side)

"Pepe (Reina) is the best goalkeeper I have ever played with."

The Spanish stopper has again established himself as one of the top 'keepers in the country this year, keeping seven clean sheets in Liverpool's 12 Premier League games.

After winning the Barclays Golden Glove award for the second season running last term, Reina's reputation continues to soar, and that has been continued bad news for Carson.

Carragher says: "I've always thought Pepe is a great goalkeeper. I have been here at Liverpool a long time now and he is the best 'keeper I've played with.

"He has beaten some records at this club already and that is testimony to what a top class goalkeeper he is.

"For me he is in the top three in the world. I think Cech, Buffon and Pepe are the best around and you can put them in any order you want, there is not much difference between them.

"It is great as a defender to have a goalkeeper you can trust and who you know you can rely on. I think if we were nervous about the goalkeeper and worried that any mistake you made would end up as a goal, then it would affect your play."
      Saffi 7
      • Forum David Johnson

• 225 posts | 17 
      • "...that's why they paid 26 million for him..."
      Reply #122: Nov 16, 2007 12:49:42 pm
      If anyone is qualified to comment on the ability of our stopper, then its the man who plays in front of him. Like he said, the better the keeper, the more confident the back four, and in that the better the platform from which to launch an attack...
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #123: Nov 19, 2007 12:50:21 pm
      Only thing I would say negative about Reina... and it is the only thing, is that I would NOT encourage the long ball to Torres.

It DID NOT work at the start of the season, worked once versus Fulham...

Route 1 is not the playing style of this club - so cut it out.

Other than that... truly great, passionate, clever, funny and talented keeper.

EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #124: Nov 19, 2007 03:54:44 pm
      Only thing I would say negative about Reina... and it is the only thing, is that I would NOT encourage the long ball to Torres.

To be fair mate, he doesn't do it too often, and on the occassions he does I feel it is justified. If the other team is attacking and Pepe suddenly gets the ball when they only have two men back then to me it's reasonable to punt it up to Nando as he could well take on two players & score. It may not be pretty but as seen against Fulham it can work.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #125: Nov 19, 2007 04:38:12 pm
      To be fair mate, he doesn't do it too often, and on the occassions he does I feel it is justified. If the other team is attacking and Pepe suddenly gets the ball when they only have two men back then to me it's reasonable to punt it up to Nando as he could well take on two players & score. It may not be pretty but as seen against Fulham it can work.

Eddie, he has cut it down and almost out... but at the start of the season he was almost doing it as much as Beasant used to with Wimbledon = route-one footie.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #126: Nov 20, 2007 01:54:20 am
      First Carragher and now Bruce is singing praises. Is Pepe really replacable?..........

Link to article here

Pepe Reina can be best in the world - Bruce Grobbelaar

Nov 19 2007 by David Prentice, Liverpool Echo

PEPE REINA has the potential to become the best goalkeeper in the world, says the Liverpool legend who Reina has pushed into third place in the all-time Anfield charts.

The clean sheet Reina kept against Fulham last weekend means he now has the remarkable record of a clean sheet every 1.85 appearances for the Reds.

That is a more effective shut-out rate than all-time greats Ray Clemence (2.06) and Bruce Grobbelaar (2.35).

But Grobbelaar believes his successor can become even better.

“Liverpool still need a goalkeeper who can come and sweep up at the back,” he said. “That’s the one thing Reina maybe needs to add to his game, anticipating when to come out and smother.

“Having said that, I do think he has the attributes to become one of the very best in the world.

“He is dealing with crosses better than he ever has – I think he’s catching more often now, rather than punching.”

But Grobbelaar stopped short of declaring Reina as the best goalkeeper at Anfield since he ended his 13-year association with the Reds in 1994.

“It’s hard to say who is the best,” he added. “Sander Westerveld was a great keeper and I honestly think he was pushed out too soon.

“David James might still be here if the original plan Graeme Souness came up with had been implemented. Souness asked me to be the number one and bring on James. It didn’t happen because Souness didn’t like me going back and forth to play for my country, Zimbabwe.

“He put James in too early and destroyed his confidence. I am pleased with the way it has gone for him now, though; he is doing really well.”
      Venom-C
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 806 posts |
      Reply #127: Nov 20, 2007 06:41:49 am
      With the media that we have today, he can not let in a single goal for the rest of the season and still (according to the media) be worse than petr cech and Van der Sar. :(
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #128: Nov 20, 2007 12:31:53 pm
      Spain have the two best keepers in the world at this minute.

Iker Casillas and Pepe Reina. I challenge anybody to state a country with two keepers of higher quality.

...and for me Pepe Reina shades it - and should be Spain's number one... ! (biased? me?)
      AggerDoo
      Reply #129: Jan 13, 2008 09:13:39 pm
      I think Reina is a top class keeper and possibly World Class but loads of people i know (not Liverpool fans) think he is a bad keeper. I was wondering if it was becasue they dont see him play alot. Would you put him in the bracket along with Buffon, Cech, Casillas etc
      F9T
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 939 posts | -10 
      • Tra la la la la
      Reply #130: Jan 13, 2008 09:15:58 pm
      I would definately put him there, all keepers are prone to the odd howler. Reina has improved vastly from his error at Everton last season, and will continue to improve. I think he will push Casillas all the way for the Spain no.1 place.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #131: Jan 13, 2008 09:28:14 pm
      yes he is a world class keeper and by my recognition Petr Cech has made more howlers than Rena has done this season, anyone that thinks he is not world class only has to look at the records he has boken since being at the club and look at who has one the Golden Glove award for the last 2 seasons (and he has only been here 2 full seasons so far)
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #132: Jan 13, 2008 09:34:31 pm
      defo a world class keeper. Brilliant shot stopper brilliant on penos brilliant at setting up attacks with pinpoint goal kicks to a man in a red shirt. Great signing by the boss
      lfcwill
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 102 posts |
      Reply #133: Jan 13, 2008 09:45:22 pm
      i personally think he's the best in the world by quite a distance.how many errors has made for us in the time he's been here, maybe two at most.he's better than cech, buffon, van der sar and casillas and in my view he's priceless
      Thunderlara
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 107 posts |
      Reply #134: Jan 13, 2008 09:49:30 pm
      I think he's world class as well. He's saved us soo many times. I'm suprised that i haven't heard of him before he came to Liverpool. It just shows,  what a great signing by Rafa!
      stiffler
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 137 posts |
      Reply #135: Jan 13, 2008 10:27:24 pm
      If hes keeping England's no 1 away from the Liverpool GK jersey, then he is a world class keeper.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #136: Jan 13, 2008 10:38:00 pm
      Can people please see if there is a relavant thread going before you start a new one? There is a search field at the top right hand corner of your screen if you can't be bothered looking. There's also some official player threads in here:

http://www.lfcreds.com/reds/index.php/topic,1284.0.html

donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #137: Jan 13, 2008 11:29:37 pm
      I love Pepe to bits, but I think Iker Casillas is the better keeper in Spain... and right now Iker is probably the best in the world.

Pepe has to be in the top 5, if not top 3... having said that, I want to see more draw-avoiding saves Pepe...

Quick Reply