Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

José "Pepe" Reina (Liverpool -> Bayern Munich -> Napoli)

Read 235432 times
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,238 posts | 2815 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Re: Jose Reina Player Thread
      Reply #2300: Apr 02, 2014 07:10:54 pm
      Sure Pepe said in his book that he was a Liverpool player sitting at home watching the 2005 European cup final already signed with us but the deal couldn't be made official until July
      KoPiTee
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 911 posts | 19 
      Reply #2301: Apr 02, 2014 07:34:44 pm
      well he will not get to Barca any time soon since they were given a 1 year / 2 window ban today from Fifa

Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #2302: Apr 03, 2014 07:14:25 am
      well he will not get to Barca any time soon since they were given a 1 year / 2 window ban today from Fifa

He may have burnt his bridges with Rodgers too.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #2303: Apr 03, 2014 01:00:18 pm
      He may have burnt his bridges with Rodgers too.

possibly but maybe it does not include loan deals.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #2304: Apr 03, 2014 02:22:10 pm
      Been reading that Reina has been offered a contract of about £40k per week by Napoli. Surely at that sort of figure it would be well worth us bringing him back if Brendan and he can get over their "problems".  Although I suppose if he came back we would have to honour his original contract with us and pay him the same huge wage he was on before?
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,005 posts | 3952 
      Reply #2305: Apr 03, 2014 02:30:53 pm
      Been reading that Reina has been offered a contract of about £40k per week by Napoli. Surely at that sort of figure it would be well worth us bringing him back if Brendan and he can get over their "problems".  Although I suppose if he came back we would have to honour his contract and pay him the same huge wage he was on before?

If there is any truth about that offer from Napoli a clearer picture emerges regarding his rumoured exit.
      Considering Pepe was one of the big earners at Anfield to have him back at a fraction of the cost would be a bonus.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #2306: Apr 03, 2014 02:41:47 pm
      The same report says he won't accept because he's on more than double that here.
      I'd estimate Reina's contact with us is about the £100k per week mark (hence the reason why he was let go)
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,244 posts | 4929 
      Reply #2307: Apr 03, 2014 02:45:05 pm
      The same report says he won't accept because he's on more than double that here.
      I'd estimate Reina's contact with us is about the £100k per week mark (hence the reason why he was let go)

I can see him being loaned out again next season if no one makes the right offer to buy him.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,005 posts | 3952 
      Reply #2308: Apr 03, 2014 02:54:57 pm

He was on more than that mate, I think when the player is loaned out it is reduced to an extent .
      Irrespective Pepe should have a word with himself, he's getting no younger and maybe he overestimates his value.
      There were tales of him and Brendan having a disagreement when he went, maybe there's some truth in that.

TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #2309: Apr 03, 2014 03:02:08 pm
      I get the feeling that Chelsea will bring back Thibaut Courtois and sell Petr Cech, which means Atletico will be in for a keeper. Let's see what kind of offer, if any, they make for Pepe.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #2310: Apr 03, 2014 03:12:35 pm
      I can see him being loaned out again next season if no one makes the right offer to buy him.

I think you are probably right mate, but it will really be a sad state of affairs if he is.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,005 posts | 3952 
      Reply #2311: Apr 03, 2014 03:33:37 pm
      I think you are probably right mate, but it will really be a sad state of affairs if he is.

Sad it is and although I have nothing but respect for the man the circumstances would suggest the situation is to an extent of his own making.
      It is hard to imagine there are no takers when a world class goalkeeper of Pepe's stature is put in the shop window, there must be an affecting factor to explain the lack of interest.
      I believe Reina has unrealistic estimations of his fee to any potential bidder.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #2312: Apr 03, 2014 04:26:55 pm

If it weren't for his wages I could see him back on the bench next season, providing he and Brendan have some clear the air talks. However I highly doubt the wages situation will change and so I can only see a loan option at this moment in time. I've got to be honest - there are probably better keepers out there now such is the extent that Reina's form in recent years has declined so it is probably time to wrap this one up.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #2313: Apr 03, 2014 05:27:41 pm
      I get the feeling that Chelsea will bring back Thibaut Courtois and sell Petr Cech, which means Atletico will be in for a keeper. Let's see what kind of offer, if any, they make for Pepe.

His old man played for them didn't he?
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #2314: Apr 03, 2014 05:53:21 pm
      His old man played for them didn't he?

You're right, he did! I hadn't even considered that to be honest, I just figured Courtois was too good for Chelsea to sell off.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #2315: Apr 03, 2014 05:57:26 pm
      I just figured Courtois was too good for Chelsea to sell off.

Like that would stop them, they sold off Mata who had been arguably their best player since the day he signed for them.
      staffletop
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 679 posts | 29 
      Reply #2316: May 28, 2014 06:54:12 pm
      Pepe Reina might end up on the sidelines at Liverpool next season after admitting he is not wanted by Barcelona or Atletico Madrid.

The goalkeeper was on loan at Napoli last season but faces an uncertain future after falling out with Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers.

Liverpool strike gold

Brendan Rodgers signing to a new contract may not have come as a shock to Liverpool fans but it could be the best piece of business the club complete this summer, writes David Usher. Click here to read more

"Right now I'm only thinking of La Roja (Spain's national team)," Reina told Spanish radio station Cadena Ser. "With regards to a new club, I will first have to speak to Liverpool.

"My season on loan at Napoli has been very positive and I thank the Napoli people and the club. With Barcelona there is nothing, they have just acquired [German goalkeeper] Marc-Andre Ter Stegen, hence they have that role covered.

"I haven't had any contact either with Atletico Madrid, I think they will do all they can to keep [Thibaut] Courtois. I will return to be a Liverpool player but I think I'm not in the coaching plans."

Reina, who is currently training with Spain in preparation for the World Cup, has two years left on his Liverpool contract.

The 31-year-old was recently linked with a return to La Liga after a solid campaign with Napoli and Liverpool are keen to sell.

Rodgers wants to move on some of his fringe players this summer to raise funds for signings and has made it clear that he does not want Reina back.

The pair fell out after Reina wrote an open goodbye letter to fans before joining Napoli.
      http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/311081.html#OgC2RRQbCJP753SX.99

So where does this leave us and him?
      He's on big wages and FSG wont be happy for him to sit on the bench, but if no-one wants him what do we do?
      For me, bite the bullet and use him so we can have that competition for places, you know, like Brendan said when Mignolet first arrived.
      He's still good enough IMO.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,317 posts | 6379 
      Reply #2317: May 28, 2014 07:07:08 pm
      Would absolutely love for him to stay but I have a feeling Pepe doesnt want to compete. Also believe that somewhere along the way he and Brendan have had an irreperable falling out.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #2318: May 28, 2014 08:59:16 pm
      He'll still be my #1.

Vocal, commanding on the floor, exceptional 1v1, world class distribution and should be at his peak now. He'd be perfect and can add stability to our new defence.

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,244 posts | 4929 
      Reply #2319: May 28, 2014 10:18:20 pm

He won't be Brendan's though.

If no one looks to sign him permanently then I think he'll go somewhere again on loan even if it is at the very last minute.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,349 posts | 1622 
      Reply #2320: May 28, 2014 10:30:16 pm
      I would still prefer Pepe to Migs  under the fast starting fast flowing footy we played this year he would have thrived ,far better and quicker distribution and more commanding of his area , yes he dropped a few bollocks last off but i still think he is better.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #2321: May 29, 2014 09:36:11 am
      Mignolet made saves I don't think Reina would have. Reina was disrespectful and we over rate him. There's a reason why nobody is interested in overpaying.  If he was good enough teams would be lining up.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #2322: May 29, 2014 10:31:11 am
      He won't be Brendan's though.

If no one looks to sign him permanently then I think he'll go somewhere again on loan even if it is at the very last minute.

It's also possible Si that Brendan's disappointed with how Migs performed last season and would welcome Pepe back to up the quality and competition.

Of course I'm probably clutching at straws but never say never.

Quick Reply