Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm - Pre Match Topic
      London Stadium

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

José "Pepe" Reina (Liverpool -> Bayern Munich -> Napoli)

Read 235465 times
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,920 posts | 964 
      Re: Jose Reina Player Thread
      Reply #2484: Jul 25, 2014 09:54:17 pm
      Wouldn't keeping Pepe be a better option than the two keepers you mention?

Would love for us to keep him on board for the season!  It would be the first time we've had 2 real quality GK's in a long time!!
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #2485: Jul 25, 2014 10:17:13 pm
      Always surprises me the lack of communication between players and management. It was the same under Rafa, player has problem and no communication. Maybe they can only talk with their agents present ?

could have sworn Brendan said "the door is always open for the players" in that Being Liverpool documentary a few years back. 
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #2486: Jul 26, 2014 12:44:22 pm
      the question should be are Liverpool stronger with Pepe in the squad and the answer must be a resounding YES so what is the problem?.
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #2487: Jul 26, 2014 01:05:02 pm
      the question should be are Liverpool stronger with Pepe in the squad and the answer must be a resounding YES so what is the problem?.

Exactly, and if Pepe is playing better than Mignolet, then he starts. And Vice Versa, it's more competition for Mignolet than he had last year and can only push him on to improve. Likewise with Pepe when he was here. In the past there has been a massive gap in quality between our first and second choice keepers, so if Reina or Mignolet suffered a dip in form they had no pressure on them from Jones, Cavalieri, Itandje etc. They knew they were pretty much guaranteed to start. A bit of healthy competition can only be good for us.

And it's always nice to see Pepe back, great character.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,809 posts | 2449 
      Reply #2488: Aug 03, 2014 08:38:47 pm
      http://app.football-italia.net/?referrer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.football-italia.net%2F53430%2Freina-terminate-liverpool-deal#article/footballitalia-53430

Rumours circulating that the club are negotiating with Pepe to terminate his contract. Hope this isn't the case and we are at least looking to get a few million on a sale.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,495 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #2489: Aug 03, 2014 08:40:56 pm
      It's all a bit hard to fathom for me.

Napoli don't want him, we seemingly don't want him and nobody seems to be in for him.

I keep swaying to the thought that the lad just doesn't want that pay cut which if true, is very sad.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,247 posts | 4931 
      Reply #2490: Aug 03, 2014 11:03:59 pm
      http://app.football-italia.net/?referrer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.football-italia.net%2F53430%2Freina-terminate-liverpool-deal#article/footballitalia-53430

Rumours circulating that the club are negotiating with Pepe to terminate his contract. Hope this isn't the case and we are at least looking to get a few million on a sale.

Always thought we'd give him away for nothing this summer so I'm not surprised.
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #2491: Aug 03, 2014 11:24:21 pm
      We need to be careful he doesn't become a free agent and then go to Arsenal. Wenger was rumoured to want him and he's a lot better IMO than Szchesny so would improve their team.

crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #2492: Aug 03, 2014 11:47:02 pm
      We need to be careful he doesn't become a free agent and then go to Arsenal. Wenger was rumoured to want him and he's a lot better IMO than Szchesny so would improve their team.

They signed Ospina to compete with Szeszny (don't give a F**k how you spell it). Don't think any premier league club would need Pepe unless West Ham want him.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #2493: Aug 03, 2014 11:57:19 pm
      They signed Ospina to compete with Szeszny (don't give a F**k how you spell it). Don't think any premier league club would need Pepe unless West Ham want him.

After Carroll and Cole they might reject that notion out of hand.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #2494: Aug 04, 2014 12:05:16 am
      But they got a cracking deal in Stewart Downing.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #2495: Aug 04, 2014 12:08:18 am
      But they got a cracking deal in Stewart Downing.

They might as well complete the set.
      Although he's not English so that might F**k it up.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #2496: Aug 04, 2014 12:20:50 am
      They might as well complete the set.
      Although he's not English so that might F**k it up.

It's a new Fat Sam this season. He's signing South Americans.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #2497: Aug 04, 2014 12:29:12 am

I really don't think that's the case anymore. I think Szczesny is a very good goalkeeper who has surpassed Reina these days. Though I doubt he'll reach the levels of Reina in his prime.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #2498: Aug 04, 2014 12:30:32 am
      His fall from grace is really sad. Best thing now to cut him loose and draw a line.
      Looking from the outside in it has to be a mentality thing that has done for Pepe. I think he was guilty of downing tools slightly as the exodus began pre and post Rafa, leaving Pepe as one of the few Spanish players left and clearly something about him either in isolation or more likely in general has isolated him in the thoughts of BR....very sad
      Dannylfc
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #2499: Aug 04, 2014 12:44:49 am
      It's all a bit hard to fathom for me.

Napoli don't want him, we seemingly don't want him and nobody seems to be in for him.

I keep swaying to the thought that the lad just doesn't want that pay cut which if true, is very sad.

Been thinking this myself lately, would be a real shame and a waste of his talent if true.

That being said it wouldn't surprise me, this is modern football after all.

racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #2500: Aug 04, 2014 12:55:51 am
      It's a new Fat Sam this season. He's signing South Americans.

Make it Latinos and I'll get Ayre on the phone.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #2501: Aug 04, 2014 03:21:52 am
      His fall from grace is really sad. Best thing now to cut him loose and draw a line.  Looking from the outside in it has to be a mentality thing that has done for Pepe.

"Fall from grace"?  "mentality"?   you act like he's been letting howlers in left and right.  How do you know how good he is right NOW without actually seeing him play?  Coates looked atrocious a couple of seasons ago, he went on loan, and now he looks incredible.  How do you know Pepe hasn't gotten better as well?

Ask yourself this---do you really think that whatever issues Pepe has had, that he is right now a worse keeper than Brad Jones?  of course not.  And yet Jones gets into the team ahead of Pepe, who doesn't even make the bench.

That tells me it really has nothing to do with how good Pepe is or isn't right now, it's either about A) money or B) his beef with Rodgers.  Most likely it's a combination of both.

It's pretty clear that politics are more important than football at the club right now because we obviously need someone to challenge Mignolet or even start ahead of him, we've got a top keeper right now who, while probably not what he once was, is at least as good as Mignolet is.  And yet he doesn't get a chance.

Despite us having been told last summer that Rodgers wanted Pepe to stay so there would be competition between the keepers.  And then they proceeded to unceremoniously ship Pepe out without even telling him to his face.  Yea.  some competition! 

Look Pepe is no Neuer, but he is a top keeper and Mignolet didn't exactly cover himself in glory last season.

that Pepe isn't even getting a chance this season is criminal.

but, the transfer committee appears to have spoken.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #2502: Aug 04, 2014 03:40:41 am
      Stopped reading after "Coates looks incredible".
      crzy_jkr@u
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,774 posts | 29 
      • Rebuilding a legacy...Trust, Will, Pride, Respect.
      Reply #2503: Aug 04, 2014 04:09:52 am
      Rodgers is clear about unity and respect. I feel he felt disrespected by Reina and will not include him in his is plans until Reina publicly apologises for his behaviour and rescinds the letter he wrote saying goodbye.

I feel this is the only way Pepe will be accepted. Rodgers initial plan was never loan Pepe I don't think, but Pepe was very uncomfortable once Mignolet arrived=. Obviously I don't really know but I am just speculating that Rodgers wants people who are committed to the cause and are driven by whatever role they are given. Pepe probably thought it was a violation to him but Brendan was clear he wanted competition at every position.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #2504: Aug 04, 2014 04:26:53 am
      Stopped reading after "Coates looks incredible".

he HAS looked incredible this preseason.   

If you disagree you must not have been watching our games.

Get your prejudices about our players out of your brain and watch them for how they play.

For example, Lucas was atrocious last season and I was one of his biggest critics---this preseason he looks a completely different player.

Coates looks quicker, better on the ball, more aggressive in the air, he's been our best CB this preseason.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #2505: Aug 04, 2014 04:43:26 am
      he HAS looked incredible this preseason.   

If you disagree you must not have been watching our games.

Get your prejudices about our players out of your brain and watch them for how they play.

For example, Lucas was atrocious last season and I was one of his biggest critics---this preseason he looks a completely different player.

Coates looks quicker, better on the ball, more aggressive in the air, he's been our best CB this preseason.

Guessing you got your internet privelages back from mummy because you've got a bit of an aggro undertone there, fed.

I've watched him, stated he has looked good, but to say "incredible" is to use hyperbole.

I have no prejudice about the lad because I haven't seen him play more than a handful of games, three seasons ago.

And yes I have watched all of our games. Them being at 9am every time we have played definitely has been favourable compared to 2/3am if they were played in Europe.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #2506: Aug 04, 2014 04:52:59 am
      I've watched him, stated he has looked good, but to say "incredible" is to use hyperbole.

well if Coates hasn't looked incredible then I would hate to see what adjectives would be used to describe the likes of Toure, Johnson, Enrique etc.

Quick Reply