Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W10 D9 L12

Martin Škrtel (Liverpool -> Fenerbahce)

Read 240323 times
      bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Re: Martin Skrtel Player Thread
      Reply #1633: Apr 13, 2014 11:53:15 pm
      Yep.

Still can't believe the amount of stick he gets from our on fans at times.
      He's a risk taker and we need him to be at this stage in the game , it's not a job for the fainthearted . When he was pulling shirts a while back i gave him a bit of stick as i thought it was unnecessary , but as we edge closer to the title the pressure gets turned up and these things are going to happen . there's too much at stake now to be pussy footing around . He done the job today and that's all that counts .

harrydunn08

• 5,917 posts | 957 
      Reply #1634: Apr 14, 2014 01:11:21 am
      F***ing love his will and desire. A winner!!

This!  Yes, he can be a bit rash at times, but his commitment and willingness to put his body on the line for the cause is priceless!  He leads by example from the back by never dodging out of a challenge, and the other lads feed off of his enthusiasm. 
      Scottbot

• 9,593 posts | 2153 
      Reply #1635: Apr 14, 2014 03:19:43 am
      Well I recklessly gave him man of the match in the match thread! Granted the handball could have been a real killer but given that not a single soul saw it until the slow motion replay and none of their players appealed I can forgive him. Aside from that, another crucial goal, he was imperious in the air once again and was an absolute rock at the back during a second half when City pretty much laid siege to our goal for 30-35 mins.

I think he has been fantastic this season I really do.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #1636: Apr 14, 2014 04:04:26 am
      Monster.

This is easily his best season. Brick wall at the back and a machine in front of goal!

Any videos of his second half ritual where he slaps himself in the face? That was Martin Skrtel at his finest.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,684 posts | 6690 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #1637: Apr 14, 2014 08:00:18 am
      Was reckless today. Could have given 2 pens away, and was poor judgement to dive in on Aguero for the Silva chance late on. Kills me to say it but on showings like that, needs replacing in the summer

You might get offended by this, but are you really a Red? That's twice today I've come into the forum and read something u posted that doesn't sit well with me and it's not the first time either. U said something in today's match thread ( I will find it) as well that makes me question whether u r a true Red or an imposter!

I over the F***ing moon we won, F**k what could have happened, it didn't and we are 4 games away from immortality. That's what u should be talking about!
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #1638: Apr 14, 2014 09:00:07 am
      Was reckless today. Could have given 2 pens away...

... needs replacing in the summer.

"Could have" but didn't. Why are you worried about something which didn't happen Alfie?  :confused-smiley-013:

Because I'm scared stiff his recklessness is going to cost us points THIS season.
      Oh, I see, because you are "scared stiff  his recklessness is going to cost us points THIS season". Why are you "scared stiff" about something which might never happen Alfie?  :confused-smiley-013:

If the ref had seen that handball he'd be public enemy no ...1
      But the Ref didn't see "that handball" Alfie, it was a non-event [unlike Martin's 7th goal, of the season, which the Ref did see], so there's really no point labouring on it.

(history won't remember 2 goals against Cardiff or Arsenal, impressive as they were.)
      Yes it [history] will. Those goals have been documented Alfie and they actually count - unlike penalties which weren't given - It's simple really.

I know for a fact he will cost us points if he stays in the team long-term,
      It's not a fact (because the future might never happen) but the chances are you are right and he will cost us points... just like every defender might... just as the chances are he will save us points too Alfie.

You seem to be a bit a bit hung up on Martin, things which didn't happen and things which may never happen Alfie... that is more than a tad neurotic mate.

In a season which the team (and all it's parts) has been the star you should maybe enjoy what's happening "warts n all" a bit more. Try to chill and enjoy the ride.  8)
      « Last Edit: Apr 14, 2014 09:16:16 am by bad boy bubby »
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #1639: Apr 14, 2014 10:44:36 am
      Fair enough guys talk your points on my criticism of Sketel.
      I stick by it though, not going to make any apologies for being very apprehensive about the decision making prowess he has displayed throughout the season.
      My point of view. Sorry if it doesn't sit well with you
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #1640: Apr 14, 2014 11:14:19 am
      I stick by it though, not going to make any apologies for being very apprehensive about the decision making prowess he has displayed throughout the season.
      No bother Alfie but a heads up - Out of the four penalties we have conceded only one was conceded by Martin [the others - Lucas, Stevie and Danny]. So I can't see why you are so concerned about him, in particular. 

As for the penalties he might have [but obviously didn't] conceded yesterday; the same could be said of Sakho but you haven't commented on that. Why? It's the same scenario, after all.

And again... 'fear for what might happen': it might happen with anyone but as Lucas, Stevie and Danny are the only others with a 'record'; why aren't you concerned about them to the same extent?

My point of view. Sorry if it doesn't sit well with you
      I wouldn't worry about your opinion not sitting well with anyone Alfie [that's what this place is about] but I'm curious as to how you have reached your conclusions and why you are so concerned about both, something which didn't happen and something which may never happen. Surely there's something you can tell us which actually supports your "point of view" on Martin?

As for yesterday - I'd much rather revel in the fact that Kompany, "the best defender in the League" was proper sh*te. sh*te for our first goal and sh*te for our winner... not forgetting the sh*te 'tackle' on Suarez which, if the Ref had have seen it, would have been a penalty... And he didn't even score for F**k's sake. Unlike Martin he cost them the match he did.  ;D
      fhands123
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 350 posts | 11 
      Reply #1641: Apr 14, 2014 11:22:13 am

As for yesterday - I'd much rather revel in the fact that Kompany, "the best defender in the League" was proper sh*te. Sh*te for our first goal and sh*te for our winner...

He also lost Skrtel for the second as well. Could very easily argue all our goals were down to him...

Not taking anything away from our quality and performance of course!

bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #1642: Apr 14, 2014 11:44:58 am
      He also lost Skrtel for the second as well. Could very easily argue all our goals were down to him
      You're right mate; I'd forgotten that - the evidence is all there - Kompany was proper sh*te. Maybe Man City should sell him in the Summer.  ;D

Martin has been immense all season; our most consistent and reliable defender - a big cog in the team wheel... a team which ain't too shabby.

Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,161 posts | 829 
      Reply #1643: Apr 14, 2014 12:21:00 pm
      I thought he had a very good first half and a shocking 2nd.

overall performance was a 6 for me, ok no a 7 would be correct.

reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #1644: Apr 19, 2014 12:35:14 pm
      Good comments from the boss on Martin and ones I fully agree with.  He's been very consistent this season considering how many different partners he's had.

Boss: Why I admire Martin Skrtel
      19th Apr 2014 - Latest News

Seven months and seven league goals after Martin Skrtel forced his way back into Brendan Rodgers' plans, the Liverpool boss has been moved to describe the Slovakian as 'a colossus'.

The powerful No.37 was limited to a watching brief for the Reds' opening two Barclays Premier League fixtures of this season, but was afforded a sudden opportunity at the beginning of September.

His response was robust and instantaneous; Skrtel was a crucial factor in shutting out Manchester United on home soil that day and has been an ever-present member of the backline since.

In addition, the 29-year-old has proven a menace at the other end, clocking up seven Premier League strikes - including a perfectly-placed header in last weekend's dramatic victory over Manchester City.

"Martin has been a colossus for us throughout this season," Rodgers explained to the Liverpool Echo. "His performances speak for themselves.

"I think he's been the top centre-half in the Premier League, alongside Vincent Kompany. I see a more complete defender now. I have great admiration for him."

The manager continued: "Obviously during my time here it's not always been plain sailing for Martin. At the start of the season he probably felt that he wasn't going to start.

"It was difficult for him over pre-season but he never stopped working. What he's shown is that willingness to adapt his game in order to improve. Learning to play how we want to play has made him a better player."

A glance through Skrtel's statistics for the current campaign show that the centre-back has recorded 91 per cent passing accuracy and collected just four yellow cards during almost 3,000 minutes of action.

He dominates the league's chart for clearances too, with 373 to date - 75 more than his nearest competitor. So, where does Rodgers believe the Slovakia international has improved?

The boss added: "Tactically, he has taken on board what I've spoken to him about and the intelligence in his game has grown. He's very comfortable on the ball and his reading of the game and his awareness has become better.

"He has added to his power game. Now he knows the right times to use his aggression. That aggression is still there but he has added a bit of subtlety to his defending.

"He has also shown his threat from set-pieces. His movement to score from the corner against Manchester City was excellent. He's the highest-scoring defender in the Premier League.

"My staff and I are here just as facilitators. We can coach them to become better, but for that to happen the player has to have that willingness to want to do it.

"It's a great credit to Martin. He has shown that desire to fit into the model of how we want to work. I really admire players of that personality."
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,225 posts | 6352 
      Reply #1645: Apr 19, 2014 01:31:27 pm
      Great words from the boss and spot on, Skrts deserves all audits for his adaptation and play this season, he has been immense.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #1646: Apr 19, 2014 01:37:10 pm
      what a difference to that City game when he gifted them a point. To have a CB chip in with 7 goals is such a bonus the lad deserves huge credit for working so hard to change his game.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,144 posts | 4897 
      Reply #1647: Apr 19, 2014 01:57:02 pm
      Should have been in the player of the year awards as far as I'm concerned.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #1648: Apr 19, 2014 03:44:21 pm
      To behave the way he did at the start of the season when he was over looked and nearly sold, shows you the character of the man. Totally class act and is now reaping the rewards of always being loyal and professional and not spitting the dummy out. Class defender gets better each week and ones he has a chance to form a partnership with the beast (Sakho) he will get even better 7 goals amazing!
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,684 posts | 6690 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #1649: Apr 19, 2014 11:39:28 pm
      Should have been in the player of the year awards as far as I'm concerned.

Here, Here mate. He wouln't have won it because Luis is going too but it would have been nice if his services were recognised beacuse he has been outstanding this season.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,144 posts | 4897 
      Reply #1650: Apr 19, 2014 11:45:28 pm
      Here, Here mate. He wouln't have won it because Luis is going too but it would have been nice if his services were recognised beacuse he has been outstanding this season.

Best defender in the league this season mate.

So pleased for him as he gets so much stick even from his own fans.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #1651: Apr 20, 2014 12:02:32 am
      He's as good as kompany , he makes his mistakes and takes the odd gamble . we need to hold on to him for as long as possible .
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #1652: Apr 20, 2014 02:13:23 pm
      Another great game by our best defender this season!
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #1653: Apr 20, 2014 03:00:45 pm
      Absolutely brilliant again today despite having some dodgy sidekicks. Barely put a foot wrong, and were it not for Sterlings heroics would have been clear MOM.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #1654: Apr 20, 2014 09:10:05 pm
      A real centre half is Martin. Can't believe people have questioned his value to this side in the not so distant past.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #1655: Apr 20, 2014 09:17:41 pm
      I gave him some stick on this thread last week (for which I got slaughtered  :'( )

Credit where it's due though, he was immense today, as good a defensive performance as you will see. Well done big man  :gt-happyup:

Quick Reply