Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 24th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W10 D8 L7

Martin Škrtel (Liverpool -> Fenerbahce)

Read 240480 times
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Re: Martin Skrtel Player Thread
      Reply #1932: Jun 06, 2015 02:08:16 am
      Not fussed, a 6/10 centre back who occasionally throws in a 7/10 performance. Should have been leading our back line this season, but he doesn't talk and, as Carragher pointed out, he doesn't listen.

I'd agree with this.
      Binomial
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 885 posts | 37 
      • Doing things over and expecting different results
      Reply #1933: Jun 06, 2015 11:03:33 am
      pascoe gone
      marsh gone

ayre to go
      BR to go
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #1934: Jun 06, 2015 11:07:40 am
      pascoe gone
      marsh gone

ayre to go
      BR to go

And that has what to do with Skrtel? :D I don't think the last two will go.
      Binomial
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 885 posts | 37 
      • Doing things over and expecting different results
      Reply #1935: Jun 06, 2015 11:09:02 am
      And that has what to do with Skrtel? :D I don't think the last two will go.

maybe then he'll feel a little more respected by management and treated like a player who's given his all for 8 years
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #1936: Jun 06, 2015 04:59:14 pm
      pascoe gone
      marsh gone

ayre to go
      BR to go

maybe then he'll feel a little more respected by management and treated like a player who's given his all for 8 years

Sound

They can all go and Mike Gordon will still offer the same contract being offered now

ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #1937: Jun 12, 2015 11:04:42 am
      before my rant i like Skrtel and he's been our best defender last few seasons but... BUT

he's been at the club long enough now to be a solid leader and for me he just doesnt seem to have that in his personality.
      You dont see him barking out the order at the back or screaming at players to get out the box if playing for offside etc hence why we always get caught out on corners and set pieces. Now he's not Carra but for the lenght of time he's been at the club he should (SHOULD) be looked at for captain but because he's not commanding enough he's not going to be. Now with the latest contract issue and the fact we was terrible at the back last season maybe now is the time to cut our losses cash in whilst we can and actually use some of these signings for once.
      Ilori maybe as a starter would be worth a punt, he fact that his new deal wastn what he expected screams to me that the board dont see him here for the long haul. Remember he was benched most of carras last season and almost left until he fought for his place and became a good defender again.
      We need someone in the back line who will take charge and for me Skrtel is not that man
      Kharhaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 685 posts | 200 
      Reply #1938: Jun 13, 2015 01:44:16 am

Ive supported Liverpool all my life, im 38. Where is my respect? I can guess many on here can give better examples, but my point is this, there have been many games where Skrtel is either just crap, or doesn't give 100%, and thats putting it in the politest way I possibly can.

For me, he is average, if he is demanding a high wage for failing to do his job when it matters the most, then cya martin, find another club who do find average class "world beaters", PSG may be interested!
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #1939: Jun 17, 2015 12:37:13 pm
      cash in on him! we have been terrible defensive wise last few seasons we only did so well the season we had suarez because we kept scoring defensivly we was terrible and might have won the title if we had a decent defensive. this guy by now should be leading the line commanding at the back but instead all he does is quietly go about his business making the odd solid tackle but lets be honest every corner or set piece we are all nervous as we dont have defenders (apart from Sakho) who can win a header. i think he's been the best CB out of the average CB we have now and maybe that's why fans want him to stay but if we are to stop leaking silly goals we need a leader at the back and for me he's not one.
      happy for him to stay but if Sakho gets injured again i cant handle him and lovern at the back as that is scary and will cost us games.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,517 posts | 1767 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #1940: Jun 18, 2015 11:23:50 am
      Liverpool FC defender Martin Skrtel has agreed a new contract with Liverpool after turning down the chance to join Inter Milan.

The Slovakian was about to enter the final year of his contract with the Reds, but is now set to put pen to paper on an extended deal, which will tie him to the club for the long term.

Skrtel revealed earlier this month that he had rejected Liverpool's “unacceptable” initial offer, describing the terms as “the kind offered to players who are much older or who have health problems.”

The impasse had led to interest from across Europe, and Skrtel’s agent, Karol Csonto, has revealed his client turned down the chance to move to Italy with Inter in favour of signing a new deal at Anfield

“I confess that there were not mere rumours, the interest from Inter was real,” Csonto said.“The deal did not go ahead, but there was contact made.

“The player had been thinking about his future and eventually opted to remain at Liverpool."

Skrtel has been one of the few constants in the Reds defence over the past few seasons, and is closing in on 300 appearances for the club having joined in January 2008 from Zenit St Petersburg.

The news represents another boost to Liverpool, who have already agreed long-term deals with Daniel Sturridge, Philippe Coutinho, Jordan Henderson and Jordon Ibe in the past 12 months.

Excellent news from the echo
      redglen
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 27 posts |
      Reply #1941: Jun 18, 2015 11:52:44 am
      Brilliant news the lad gives everything out on the pitch
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #1942: Jun 18, 2015 12:10:35 pm
      Great news
       Always gives 100% on pitch,
       YNWA
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #1943: Jun 18, 2015 12:19:48 pm
      so new deal signed time to sort out new RB now and chose who will partner him, Lovren or Sakho
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,517 posts | 1767 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #1944: Jun 18, 2015 01:17:19 pm
      Cant believe the negativity on twitter and other forums about the big man signing a new deal.

He is our best CB by a mile. ffs.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #1945: Jun 18, 2015 01:47:09 pm
      Cant believe the negativity on twitter and other forums about the big man signing a new deal.

He is our best CB by a mile. ffs.

Sakho for me is our best.

My only real gripe with  Skrtel is that he doesn't play a high line very well.
      He starts dropping deeper and deeper leaving both him and his fellow CB isolated.
      If he can get out of that habit (and it looks to me like he's working on it) he still has a big part to play.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,517 posts | 1767 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #1946: Jun 18, 2015 03:28:08 pm
      Sakho for me is our best.

My only real gripe with  Skrtel is that he doesn't play a high line very well.
      He starts dropping deeper and deeper leaving both him and his fellow CB isolated.
      If he can get out of that habit (and it looks to me like he's working on it) he still has a big part to play.

Sakho was better last season, and lovren improved towards end of season.

Bit Squirtle is by far the best, and most experienced (apart from Kolo).

He has his flaws like u pointed out, but so do all players.

Is he better than carra or Hyypia in thier prime no, but he is next best CB we have had in a while.

defo does not warrant the negativity Im seeing elsewhere.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #1947: Jun 18, 2015 04:14:38 pm
      anyone have details of the deal is it a 4yr or 5yr deal, adds regularity to defence just need BR to pick his parnter and stick with it, pre-season we need to trial the back out especially against the Maylasia all stars give Ilori a good run in pre-season. we know what we get with Skrtel so he can get a rest, lovren needs improvment so give him and ilori a run together all preseason.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #1948: Jun 18, 2015 05:07:07 pm
      Big fan, glad he's staying with us.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #1949: Jun 18, 2015 05:27:53 pm
      Huge disappointment for me last season, should have been in charge of that defence, as the senior pro, but he was too silent and, according to Carragher, he doesn't listen either.  Seems to prefer being the lesser of a two and is OK in a 3, but never really convinced me he's more than a 6 out of 10 player. 
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #1950: Jun 18, 2015 05:47:26 pm
      Huge disappointment for me last season, should have been in charge of that defence, as the senior pro, but he was too silent and, according to Carragher, he doesn't listen either.  Seems to prefer being the lesser of a two and is OK in a 3, but never really convinced me he's more than a 6 out of 10 player.

This is what I mean about the high line as well.
      I've seen his partner waving him up alongside on a couple of occasions, but he just ignores them and drifts back.
      He seems to be on the backfoot the whole time, rather than on the front foot to attack the ball.
      It also causes huge problems when the 2 CB's are separated, and you end up with this:

Keeper

Skrtel

CB Partner

Centre circle here

That huge gap (CB split aside) causes major problems, the offside trap being the most obvious, but also the space for the opposition to exploit.
      When a DM drops between the CB's as they split, he's a bit better, but if he can't learn to play the high line and stay where he's supposed to be his playing time will become less and less.
      Lio Varadkar
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 785 posts | 66 
      Reply #1951: Jun 18, 2015 08:02:38 pm
      Skrtels agent denies the new deal agreement but negotiations ongoing. Picked up by Echo from fake Skrtel facebook account.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #1952: Jun 18, 2015 08:12:38 pm
      Skrtels agent denies the new deal agreement but negotiations ongoing. Picked up by Echo from fake Skrtel facebook account.

Got a link to that because I think your full of sh*t.
      Lio Varadkar
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 785 posts | 66 
      Reply #1953: Jun 18, 2015 08:15:05 pm
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #1954: Jun 18, 2015 08:22:39 pm

Great source right there, I am sure they are correct and the Echo is full of sh*t

Quick Reply