Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Martin Škrtel (Liverpool -> Fenerbahce)

Read 240547 times
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,748 posts | 6720 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Re: Re: Joe Gomez Player Thread
      Reply #1978: Aug 09, 2015 10:09:19 pm
      Come off it be fair, Lovren was very good today.

I know its fashionable to slate Lovren, but Skrtel proved himself more of a liability than Dejan today. And I think he will prove a liability this season - as bad as Lovren was last year, he was equally rivalled for terrible performances by Skrtel.

And I think a lot of people don't like to admit that because they misjudge Skrtel because of this ridiculous 'walks into a Burger King, orders a Big Mac' hardman image, and there is notalgia there because he is a Benitez signing. Take away all that irrational thought, and we have our biggest liability in defence right there.

Really? I thought Skrtel did well today, nothing looked like getting past him. It's got nothing to do with how Lovren played last season, I just don't trust him, he looks shaky and nervous  and I would have Sakho over him any day of the week.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #1979: Aug 09, 2015 10:13:31 pm
      I know its fashionable to slate Lovren, but Skrtel proved himself more of a liability than Dejan today. And I think he will prove a liability this season - as bad as Lovren was last year, he was equally rivalled for terrible performances by Skrtel.

Thought so to...for being our most experienced front-line CB, being at the club for what 7 years?...sometimes I watch him and ask myself WTF is he thinking?

Same old errant backwards passes, same old mistakes year after year.

I think he has the heart of a warrior but the constant mental mistakes for a player that has been here longer than almost anyone now makes me wonder about his footballing IQ......too many of the same mistakes every match.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #1980: Aug 09, 2015 10:26:02 pm
      Really? I thought Skrtel did well today, nothing looked like getting past him. It's got nothing to do with how Lovren played last season, I just don't trust him, he looks shaky and nervous  and I would have Sakho over him any day of the week.

Dude...I counted at least two times that his man (Diouf?) was basically by him and either Lovren or Clyne bailed him out. Add to that at least 2 passes back to Migs that were too short and could have been intercepted and I thought Skrtel had a pretty poor game.

I think AZ hit it on the head. He's got the heart of a Lion and a head full of rocks.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,748 posts | 6720 
      Reply #1981: Aug 09, 2015 10:33:07 pm
      Dude...I counted at least two times that his man (Diouf?) was basically by him and either Lovren or Clyne bailed him out. Add to that at least 2 passes back to Migs that were too short and could have been intercepted and I thought Skrtel had a pretty poor game.

I think AZ hit it on the head. He's got the heart of a Lion and a head full of rocks.

And I counted a few times how many defensive headers he made to get us out of the sh*t and the clearance off the line that looped over Migs head.

Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,191 posts | 1273 
      Reply #1982: Aug 09, 2015 11:24:56 pm
      And I counted a few times how many defensive headers he made to get us out of the sh*t and the clearance off the line that looped over Migs head.

Perhaps, but it doesn't stop the fact he was terrible erratic. Continue like that and he will cost us dear.

Wouldn't be at all surprised if this is his last season at the club.

Time for Sakho and Lovren in the meantime if we are to look to the future - Skrtel is old news.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,748 posts | 6720 
      Re: Martin Skrtel Player Thread
      Reply #1983: Aug 10, 2015 09:37:59 pm
      Perhaps, but it doesn't stop the fact he was terrible erratic. Continue like that and he will cost us dear.

Wouldn't be at all surprised if this is his last season at the club.

Time for Sakho and Lovren in the meantime if we are to look to the future - Skrtel is old news.

I'd still rather Skrtel and Sakho.

Maybe we could organize a Poll?
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #1984: Aug 25, 2015 07:35:39 am
      Top marks Skrto, really impressed by the fella last night.
      linneman
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,426 posts | 16 
      Reply #1985: Aug 25, 2015 07:41:00 am
      Well done Martin! Three clean sheets to start off the season.
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #1986: Aug 25, 2015 07:44:54 am
      Played well tonight - as with a lot of Arsenal fans and they were saying he was our best defender on the night... They love his no nonsense approach and to be fair he saved us a few times last night...
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,748 posts | 6720 
      Reply #1987: Aug 25, 2015 10:04:32 am
      Keep up the great work Martin.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #1988: Aug 25, 2015 10:19:05 am
      I'd still rather Skrtel and Sakho.

Maybe we could organize a Poll?

Maybe if Lovren starts to underperform again but whilst he's keeping clean sheets he needs to stay in the team. Sakho has to earn his spot, he can't just be shoved straight back in.

Top performance from Skrtel last night. There was one occasion where he was chasing shadows in the box but nothing came from it so no worries there. It puts us in good stead for the remaining away games in the awful run.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,185 posts | 4404 
      Reply #1989: Aug 25, 2015 11:48:08 am
      When Ibe gave the ball away in a dangerous position I honestly thought Skrtel was going to eat him alive, the rage in his eyes!
      You could see how important the clean sheet was to him.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #1990: Aug 25, 2015 12:10:29 pm
      When Ibe gave the ball away in a dangerous position I honestly thought Skrtel was going to eat him alive, the rage in his eyes!

Also Emre Can gave him the death stare.
      Pear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,281 posts | 79 
      • Me, i always tell the truth, even when i lie.
      Reply #1991: Aug 28, 2015 07:58:59 am
      Also Emre Can gave him the death stare.
      Yeah i remember that situation.
      Skrtel was good,had some tiny mistakes but all in all it was a good performance.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #1992: Aug 28, 2015 12:17:34 pm
      I loved that from him its something out of charachter from him which is a shame as we all want him to be like that everygame like Carra was. Its the only reason he's not become a leader and the Capt. He seems like such a nice guy which is a negative for the role we would like from  him which is a tough talking leader at the back. Anyway it was great to see him bollocking the young lads for being lazy in their passing.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #1993: Aug 29, 2015 05:11:56 pm
      There's been one constant in the backline in Brendan's 3 full seasons as manager. It's been Skrtel. Looked great playing the deepest of the 3, back in a back 4? Incredibly erratic. Can't believe some people wanted him to be named captain.
      Amit
      • Forum Youth Player

• 23 posts |
      Reply #1994: Sep 05, 2015 07:25:15 pm
      Anyone know why he's not in the Slovakia squad for the game vs Spain?
      (prays it's yellow cards and not injury)
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #1995: Sep 05, 2015 07:26:30 pm
      Anyone know why he's not in the Slovakia squad for the game vs Spain?
      (prays it's yellow cards and not injury)

Suspended mate.  3 yellows or something.
      Amit
      • Forum Youth Player

• 23 posts |
      Reply #1996: Sep 05, 2015 07:29:24 pm
      Thanks,
      These international breaks gives me shivers every time...
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,185 posts | 4404 
      Reply #1997: Sep 12, 2015 08:03:51 pm
      Has been a donkey for so long now and whats frightening is that he is Rodgers first choice CB...................whi ch highlights his ineptitude in setting up a defence.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #1998: Sep 12, 2015 08:21:04 pm
      Has been a donkey for so long now and whats frightening is that he is Rodgers first choice CB...................whi ch highlights his ineptitude in setting up a defence.

I've been blinded by some fantastic performances by him every so often, but I'm starting to see it now.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #1999: Sep 12, 2015 08:57:03 pm
      he needs a really vocal partner as he never says a word. Lovren and him as a partnership has never ever worked yet Sakho is on the bench frozen out as it seems Brendan likes to do
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #2000: Sep 12, 2015 09:19:37 pm
      Skrtel was poor today, but then again when a team is as disfunctional as we were today it's hard for anyone to really shine.

Quick Reply