Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Daniel Agger (Liverpool -> Brondby)

Read 219289 times
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,239 posts | 4927 
      Re: Daniel Agger Player Thread
      Reply #1909: Mar 23, 2014 09:20:31 pm
      Not slating the lad but my gut feeling thinks we can do better.

I like him mate and always get a more comfortable feeling when he's playing, maybe due to how long he's been here.

I think he should stay in alongside Skrtel until the end of the season as I think a settled back four is the way to go at this stage of the season even if they make the odd mistake or two.

After that though I think he will be off and have thought that for a while. It'll either be his decision and he'll loof for a move or Brendan will feel Sakho is the main partner for Skrtel and finance will dictate that Agger will have to be moved on.

It'll be a sad day for me if and when he leaves but I just think it's inevitable.

Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #1910: Mar 23, 2014 10:01:02 pm
      I don't see how he is blamed for the first goal.

He came across to cover for an out of position left back having to move in the opposite direction of an oncoming attacking player moving at full speed in the other direction.Once the attacking player cut in it was always going to be a difficult task for Agger to recover his starting position to make a tackle or block.

Blame for me is poor positioning from Flanno and sloppy posession from Allen.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #1911: Mar 24, 2014 01:33:03 am
      Don't know why we would move him on, even if Sakho takes his spot, he's good cover and with CL football next season we could use all the good CB's we can get.
      Scottbot

• 9,610 posts | 2159 
      Reply #1912: Mar 24, 2014 01:41:19 am
      It was like the invisible man was standing on his feet for Cardiff's first goal

I've never been Danny's biggest advocate BUT Saturday's first goal is all on Joe Allen who said as much from some quotes I read in an article this morning. We've just won three on the bounce playing the same back four and I wonder how many times this season the manager has been able to keep that sort of continuity so I would hope we stick with the same lads back there.

As for next season, we will have more games to play, more than enough to go around and we don't have such a bad four to we with Skrtel, Sakho, Agger and Kolo plus young Ilori.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #1913: Mar 31, 2014 10:47:42 pm
      Excellent performance from Dan against the Spuds.

Came up with a few crucial blocks himself and played some Gerrard like balls from our back line to Raheem's chest.

Keep it up VC! I noticed prior to kick off when the fans finished singing YNWA he turned to the stands and appluaded the fans the only lad to do so at that point in time.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #1914: Apr 19, 2014 03:55:34 pm
      I know this might cause a stir but is Daggers time up at LFC, with Ilori due back next season Coates if we keep him and any other additions in the summer can we afford to keep the loyal CB with his long list of injuries??
      I don't know the stats but has he ever completed a full season at LFC without missing a lot of games due to injury. At the top of his game there aren't many around the prem better but the last 2 seasons he's been way under par. Think he might be part of a FSG high wage clear out this summer along with Pepe
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #1915: Apr 20, 2014 04:11:49 pm
      I re-watched the Chelsea-Liverpool game from earlier in the season and Agger was solid at left back.

I'd start him at centre back instead of Sahko v Chelsea because he has more composure and we'll need it.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #1916: Apr 20, 2014 04:56:52 pm
      Anyone favor going three at the back to get Dagger in there with Sakho and Skrtel? Be quite an imposing back line.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #1917: Apr 20, 2014 05:13:59 pm
      Anyone favor going three at the back to get Dagger in there with Sakho and Skrtel? Be quite an imposing back line.

Not even slightly mate.

Thought Sakho looked shaky today, especially when Van Wolfswinkel is beating him in the air. Luckily Migs saved his blushes, also lost possession a couple of times through being unbalanced. His passing was very good on the whole (as you've mentioned elsewhere) but he did nearly cost us when he couldn't get it out of his feet quick enough and for that reason Agger would be back in for all but one reason.

That reason being we're against Chelsea, those fuckers are going to load the box with crosses after watching us today. Terry, Ivanovic, Ba can all be a threat and Sakho is generally very good in the air despite his blip today so the boss has a tough choice. The lesser of two evils might be his option though and again goes to show what a job he's doing because I'm damn sure he'd like to be confident in whoever gets the nod.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1918: Apr 20, 2014 05:21:15 pm

We played with 3 CB's earlier in the season and we really struggled with it.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,748 posts | 6720 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #1919: Apr 20, 2014 09:59:36 pm
      Wouldn't mind seeing him come in against Chelsea. Sakho looked the shakiest I've seen of him since coming to Anfield and I think we might need Daniel's calmness against those cu*ts. Wouldn't mind seeing him give Torres another clip too.  ;D
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #1920: Apr 21, 2014 02:15:21 am
      Should bring Agger back in against Chelsea just so he has a chance to...

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #1921: Apr 22, 2014 02:01:30 pm
      Dan should be one of the first names on the team sheet but he doesn't seem to adapted to Brendan's "ways" as well as others and his defending needs to improve.However we should always look to have footballers in every position in this team and Dan is definitely a very good footballer
      harrydunn08

• 5,920 posts | 964 
      Reply #1922: Apr 22, 2014 03:16:28 pm
      Will he be happy being a squad player is the question, I see him moving on, but I hope we keep him, as you say a very good footballer.

If Danny hadn't injured his knee he'd still be in the starting 11.  BR has been good about not changing a winning team unless circumstances force him to.  Since Agger's injury, Sakho has come in and will remain in the starting lineup as long as he stays fit and we keep winning. 

I don't think BR has a clear cut first/second choice, and I think both of them know that they will get their chances through the course of a season. 
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #1923: May 20, 2014 12:01:56 pm
      Well this doesn't sound good if true....

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/daniel-aggers-message-liverpool-fc-7143099

LFC defender Daniel Agger delivers stark message on Reds future and says I'm no-one's third choice!

May 20, 2014 07:46
          By Kieran Gill
          10 Comments

Daniel Agger says he is not sure if his future lies with Liverpool FC ā€“ as the defender feels he has been snubbed by Reds boss Brendan Rodgers .

The 29-year-old didnā€™t make the cut in the matches against Chelsea and Manchester City, and told Danish media he refuses to be anyoneā€™s ā€œthird choiceā€.

When asked whether heā€™ll be with Liverpool next season, Agger said last night: ā€œI donā€™t know. Thatā€™s up to the manager. I canā€™t go and put myself on the team sheet.

ā€œIt definitely wasnā€™t great (to be left out of the games against Chelsea and Manchester City), but I donā€™t make the decisions.

ā€œI think it is because the manager doesnā€™t think that Iā€™m good enough.ā€

But Agger will remain focused on his international duties for the time being.

ā€œIā€™m not thinking about my future,ā€ he said.

ā€œNow my focus is on the next international games with Denmark and then Iā€™m looking forward to a long five-week holiday. My body and mind needs to relax.ā€
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #1924: May 20, 2014 12:55:09 pm
      I do feel the lad was treated with a bit of disrespect he was fit for two of the big games City and Chelsea he is the clubs vice captain after all it's an honour to be in a position of attaining a leadership role at the club. I am unsure of Brendan's rationale for dropping him Sakho was not setting the world alight I get the feeling it was in the waiting he get injured so we can justify our fee for our "marquee" signing.

Everyday I think about it but can't help but feel the "slip" would not have happened Agger would have driven the ball upfield and not played the 2m diagonal I know it's a desperate and ridiculous thought but I wrestle with it on a daily basis.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #1925: May 20, 2014 12:56:37 pm
      Well this doesn't sound good if true....

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/daniel-aggers-message-liverpool-fc-7143099

LFC defender Daniel Agger delivers stark message on Reds future and says I'm no-one's third choice!

May 20, 2014 07:46
          By Kieran Gill
          10 Comments

Daniel Agger says he is not sure if his future lies with Liverpool FC ā€“ as the defender feels he has been snubbed by Reds boss Brendan Rodgers .

The 29-year-old didnā€™t make the cut in the matches against Chelsea and Manchester City, and told Danish media he refuses to be anyoneā€™s ā€œthird choiceā€.

When asked whether heā€™ll be with Liverpool next season, Agger said last night: ā€œI donā€™t know. Thatā€™s up to the manager. I canā€™t go and put myself on the team sheet.

ā€œIt definitely wasnā€™t great (to be left out of the games against Chelsea and Manchester City), but I donā€™t make the decisions.

ā€œI think it is because the manager doesnā€™t think that Iā€™m good enough.ā€

But Agger will remain focused on his international duties for the time being.

ā€œIā€™m not thinking about my future,ā€ he said.

ā€œNow my focus is on the next international games with Denmark and then Iā€™m looking forward to a long five-week holiday. My body and mind needs to relax.ā€

I'd like to see a full translated transcript of the interview before jumping to any conclusions, simply because we've been down this road before.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #1926: May 20, 2014 02:58:44 pm
      Don't see the beef myself. Agger lost his starting place when had he got injured (how many times is that now?) and Sakho did well enough to not be dropped. That's all there is to it.

Though Daniel did say last season he would stay as long as the manager wanted him, so let's not jump to any conclusions just yet.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #1927: May 20, 2014 03:10:51 pm
      Didn't Skrtel say something similar when he got dropped back end of the 12/13 season?

I'm glad that Daniel isn't prepared to be 3rd choice, it means he's willing to fight to get his place back and isn't that how it should be.  Let's face it there's been very little competition for any places within the starting 11 recently and that needs to change if we're to compete on 4 fronts next season.

What would people prefer him to say, I'm just happy to be an LFC player and collect my cheque each week  :mad:
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #1928: May 20, 2014 03:21:19 pm
      Can't help but think that something has kicked off between Brendan & Agger. That or Brendan has done a 180 degree turn on his personal appraisal of Agger. As Dadorious has already said why make someone vice captain only to deride him with a lack of appearances. That said, in most of the games that he has played, he doesn't look like the same player - a lack of confidence or belief. Are the injuries taking there toll?

I wonder if he's getting the same treatment Skrtel and Henderson were getting last season with Brendan's message of Tough Love ie 'you are going to be surreptitiously treated like crap, if you stay, keep your head down, fight for your place you may be a better player for it - otherwise, there's the door'.

Personally, I reckon if Barca do come in for him with a reasonable offer then Brendan may well be tempted to cash-in on him.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,009 posts | 3352 
      Reply #1929: May 21, 2014 12:01:39 pm
      Premiership appearances last season;

Skrtel 36
      Agger 20
      Toure 20
      Sakho 18

I don't really think the Dane can be complaining about a lack of games. He still played in more than half of them, with any luck Toure will be fu**ed off in the summer meaning this coming season he'll play even more.

He started the season as first choice, Toure started quite well and they looked a decent pairing. Skrtel then got his chance and took it in the first few games, don't think he had an exceptional defensive season but the best of the lot. Sakho was 17 million quid, Brendan's highest fee to date so was bound to be given opportunities.

Now I don't rate Sakho as highly as some on here do. I think he's a liability and makes too many dangerous passes. His passes may find their targets so his percentage looks great but too often they're into players in the middle of the park with somebody up their arse. So I'd happily go back to a Skrtel/Agger partnership. But, as I've said, Sakho was the big money signing so I suspect he'll be first choice along with Skrtel who was the best of the lot last year.

Danny can either accept that and know that with four competitions to play next year and a guarantee of at least 46 games, he's still gonna get plenty of game time (especially if Toure does go). Or he can throw his dummy out, throw a strop and move on. Like everybody else who leaves this club, their careers only go downhill. The grass isn't greener than it is at Anfield.
      Kubee
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 469 posts | 11 
      Reply #1930: Jul 06, 2014 12:45:41 pm
      Gutter press reporting that the plan is to offload Agger for Ā£12 mil if we can bring in Lovren. I'd be absolutely fuming if that were the case as for me he's our best defender and needs to start every game he's fit for. Besides, having 4 good CBs will mean we can play, for example, Agger and Skrtel in the league and Lovren and Sakho in the cups.
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #1931: Jul 06, 2014 04:01:35 pm
      Gutter press reporting that the plan is to offload Agger for Ā£12 mil if we can bring in Lovren. I'd be absolutely fuming if that were the case as for me he's our best defender and needs to start every game he's fit for. Besides, having 4 good CBs will mean we can play, for example, Agger and Skrtel in the league and Lovren and Sakho in the cups.

Seen the same, only that he'd been tarted out to Barca. As for Lovren & Sakho just starting cup games - can't really see after forking out potentially Ā£38M that they'd only be used like this!

Quick Reply