Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

AFC Liverpool

Read 140242 times
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      AFC Liverpool
      Reply #46: May 04, 2008 01:19:04 am
      What the truck! I've never heard of this one before
      Let's discuss...
      DOBBS83
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 34 
      • @chrisdobbs83
      Re: AFC Liverpool
      Reply #47: May 04, 2008 11:10:40 am
      Bollocks to this, theres only one club in my heart and thats this one. LFC is the ONE AND ONLY! Ill be suporting our historical club through thick and THIN what ever happens just like a real supporter should do.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #48: May 04, 2008 01:31:21 pm
      AFC Wimbledon the re-birth of Wimbledon got promoted to the Blue Square Conf south yesterday and are steadily making it back up the ladder...four promotions so far I think... BUT ... that was because that club's fans had their club stolen and moved to MK.

That is not the case of Liverpool FC.

I am still struggling to understand the concept of the formation of AFC Liverpool if it becomes a fully independent club to Liverpool FC...

« Last Edit: May 04, 2008 01:33:57 pm by donrafael »
      kop1985
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 182 posts | -10 
      Reply #49: May 05, 2008 08:29:52 pm
      I don't really see the point in creating another team to replace ours.  The Manc's have achieved sod all with theirs, the Glazers have done as much as any of the fans could have hoped.  Pie in the sky and a bit fruitless imo.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #50: May 06, 2008 12:33:18 am
      They had the 'trials' for new players yesterday.  Bit of an interview on BBC News earlier tonight and it will probably be covered more in the Echo and the Post tomorrow.

Seems it's run by this Alun Parry fella who seems to be some sort of musician.  If you get googling you will probably see that initially it was aimed at the 'disillusionment' at ticket prices and the chairmen, now it seems to have moved to just disillusionment with ticket prices although they hope to have 'close ties' with Liverpool FC.

Don't really understand the theory behind it.  He said that the 'fans' would be singing YNWA as this team run out? I can't see that for non-league footie.

Besides that if the issue really is ticket prices then why don't all the people go and watch Liverpool reserves then?  Pretty F***ing simple if you ask me.

Oh, and if you want to sign up as a member they 'recommend' £35.

Keep enjoying this forum.  It's possibly one of the last bastion's of a Liverpool 'fans group' that you don't have to pay for!
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #51: May 06, 2008 12:54:41 am
      Besides that if the issue really is ticket prices then why don't all the people go and watch Liverpool reserves then?  Pretty F***ing simple if you ask me.

It's not rocket science is it. That's actually the thoughts of a lot of people I've spoke to about it. Not to mention a good few ex red players thoughts as well.

If people don't think it was an aim against the current fiasco that's surrounded our club off the pitch this last several months, then it's a little bit naive.

But I've got nothing against it. Good luck to them. Personally I only see it as another club that's local. I don't understand how anyone can really support more than one team.
      Pippen
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 692 posts | 46 
      Reply #52: May 06, 2008 12:58:32 am
      Count me in. I would cheer for the AFC...very good idea!
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #53: May 06, 2008 12:59:44 am
      Count me in. I would cheer for the AFC...very good idea!

So you'd cheer for AFC Liverpool instead of Liverpool?
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #54: May 06, 2008 01:23:12 am
      I've added a poll.

With things progressing on the AFC Liverpool front, it will be very interesting to see how many people will take an interest in this now.

If they get up and running, I'll look out for their results but that's where it will end.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #55: May 06, 2008 07:39:45 am
      there is one Pure Red club, that is liverpool fc. End of subject for me.
      YNWA!!!!!!!!!!!!
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,318 posts | 1611 
      Reply #56: May 06, 2008 08:01:53 am
      I just dont get this i drive to anfield with my dad  quite regular a drive of over 430 miles depending which way you go and let me say its a miserable ride home when dad is snoring and we.ve lost to some shitty team ,it dont stop me lovimg the reds and by time we get home we just cant wait to go back as there is plenty of time for a reality check on the way ,agreed the ticketing issue is a bit of a fiasco but you either love  the reds or you dont its not something you can just switch off or on depending on the mood .I sit with fans or supposed fans down the club mostly glory hunters and soon as things dont go their way they dissapear ,we are not like that ,or at least i hope we are not turning out like that.YNWA
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #57: May 06, 2008 08:12:24 am
      I just dont get this I drive to anfield with my dad  quite regular a drive of over 430 miles depending which way you go and let me say its a miserable ride home when dad is snoring and we.ve lost to some shitty team ,it dont stop me lovimg the reds and by time we get home we just cant wait to go back as there is plenty of time for a reality check on the way ,agreed the ticketing issue is a bit of a fiasco but you either love  the reds or you dont its not something you can just switch off or on depending on the mood .I sit with fans or supposed fans down the club mostly glory hunters and soon as things dont go their way they dissapear ,we are not like that ,or at least I hope we are not turning out like that.YNWA
      Totally agree!!!! ;)
      ste_macca
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,175 posts | 22 
      Reply #58: Jun 22, 2008 11:08:54 pm
      AFC Liverpool

I think its a good idea, but then does that mean fans that cant afford to go the match, due to high prices, be forced out of Liverpool Football Club for good, as prices will get higher every season making it even harder for the real fans to get to a game.
      I struggle myself to get around to all the FA cup, league cup and the Champions League games, dont even get me started on leagye games yet as the years roll buy im gonna be priced out even more. Which means that my only other viable option is AFC Liverpool, which is great, but do i really want to go watch a team that is... well i dont no... that is not Liverpool Football Club. Ill find it very hard to go watch AFC, theres only one team, one set of fans, and thats the Liverpool way, not the AFC way.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #59: Jul 13, 2008 11:59:57 pm
      Not sure whats happening with this but I do know that non-league Prescot Cables have given AFC Liverpool permission to play at their home ground Valerie Park.

AFC Liverpool will start next season in the Vodkat league.

The club logo is

The club will play its first ever competitive fixture on Wednesday evening and here are some details of their first ever three games.

St Helens Match Ticket

Wednesday 16th July, 7.45 kick off.

This match will be ALL TICKET. So a match ticket must be purchased in order to gain entry. Tickets are priced at £5 adults, £3 under 16s.

It will be played at the home of Ashton Town FC, Edge Green Street, Ashton-in-Makerfield, WN4 8SL.

Liverpool: Match tickets available from News from Nowhere bookstore, Bold Street, Liverpool, L1 4HY.

Ashton: Match tickets availabe from Sportsline, 6 Gerard Street, Ashton-in-Makefield, WN4 9AA

St Helens: Match tickets available every Tuesday night only (6.30pm - 8.30pm) from The Black Bull, Knowsley Road, St Helens.

Tickets are also available by post from
      John McKiernan
      Chairman,
      St. Helens Town AFC
      35 Roysten Gardens
      St. Helens
      Merseyside
      WA9 1RJ

Postal requests should detail the numbers of “Adult” and/or “U16s” tickets required and should include a cheque/postal order payable to “St. Helens Town AFC” and include a stamped self addressed envelope.

St Helens Coach Ticket

Available at £5 each from News From Nowhere, Bold Street, Liverpool, L1 4HY.

Coach leaves The Casa, Hope Street, Liverpool, L1 9BQ at 5.30pm. Stops at Showcase Cinema on the East Lancs. Leaves the Showcase at 6pm.

Nelson FC Match Information

Saturday 19th July, 3pm kick off

It will be played at the home of Nelson FC: Victoria Park, Lomeshaye Way, Nelson, BB9.

Nelson FC and AFC Liverpool will be competing for the Joe Fagan Commemorative Trophy, in honour of the 50th anniversary of Joe’s arrival as a coach at Anfield. Nelson were the first club he ever managed.

Entry is pay on the gate. £5 Adults, £3 children.

Nelson FC Coach Ticket

Available at £6 each from News From Nowhere, Bold Street, Liverpool, L1 4HY.

Coach leaves The Casa, Hope Street, Liverpool, L1 9BQ at 12 noon.

Marine Match Info

Tuesday 22nd July, 7.45 kick off

Entry is pay on the gate. £5 adults, £2 concessions.

It will be played at the home of Marine FC: Arriva Stadium, College Road, Crosby.

paulrobbo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #60: Jul 14, 2008 12:20:26 am
      If they get up and running, I'll look out for their results but that's where it will end.

Same here.
      kingjari
      • Forum David Johnson

• 216 posts | 10 
      • Spirit of Shankly/Liverpool Supporters Union
      Reply #61: Jul 15, 2008 12:02:07 am
      I fully support what AFC Liverpool are doing, they are a genuine grassroots football team, owned and administered by its Supporters. Liverpool Supporters.

Two aims of the Spirit of Shankly- Liverpool Supporters Union are:
      "To bring about supporter representation at board room level"
      & "Supporter ownership of Liverpool Football Club"

Well AFC Liverpool are doing this right now, they are showing the Liverpool supporting community how it can be done, how supporters can run their club. Even taking into account the size in operation, I'm sure they'll be a fine example of how it could be done with Liverpool FC. And allthough AFC is a different club playing in non-league, those raised to support it will be Redmen taught the Liverpool way and the old values of their parent club.  This can only be a good thing and why i'll always support and defend what their trying to achieve, so I think its a bit harsh for anyone to just dismiss what their doing out of hand.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #62: Jul 15, 2008 01:16:10 am
      I fully support what AFC Liverpool are doing, they are a genuine grassroots football team, owned and administered by its Supporters. Liverpool Supporters.

Two aims of the Spirit of Shankly- Liverpool Supporters Union are:
      "To bring about supporter representation at board room level"
      & "Supporter ownership of Liverpool Football Club"

Well AFC Liverpool are doing this right now, they are showing the Liverpool supporting community how it can be done, how supporters can run their club. Even taking into account the size in operation, I'm sure they'll be a fine example of how it could be done with Liverpool FC. And allthough AFC is a different club playing in non-league, those raised to support it will be Redmen taught the Liverpool way and the old values of their parent club.  This can only be a good thing and why I'll always support and defend what their trying to achieve, so I think its a bit harsh for anyone to just dismiss what their doing out of hand.

I know what you mean mate. Good luck to them. If they carry on going for a hundred years, it will be interesting to see how they have progressed with the values of a true red. Obviously I wont be about then but maybe AFC will.

Looking at it from outside the box though, would you say it's fans lost to another cause? Maybe cause isn't the right word, but you can only have one true passion.
      kingjari
      • Forum David Johnson

• 216 posts | 10 
      • Spirit of Shankly/Liverpool Supporters Union
      Reply #63: Jul 15, 2008 08:56:54 pm
      Kenny mate,

i understand what your sayin, but the basic premise of AFC is if your priced out of watching Liverpool FC, or if getting a ticket is absolutely impossible, if you fancy taking yoursel and yer kids along to a match on a saturday afternoon, which is a novelty in the Premiership for LFC, then why not go and support AFC Liverpool.

Now, i'm a season ticket holder, though how much longer I can afford to be I really don't know. I also live with the missus on the wirral at weekends. AFC Liverpool have requested that their home games be played when Liverpool FC play away from Anfield, but are still awaiting a decision. I don't go the aways but I can honestly see meself going up the road to valerie park to watch AFC on a saturday.

Its an extention of Liverpool supporting culture into non-league grassroots football, its not divisive at all, i don't really see it as a childish cutting off all ties split like FC United of Manc either. They are not a protest club, they have been supported by LFC's administration, promoted in LFC club media and supported by Rafa. It's not a splitting or watering down of your passionate Liverpool support, simply an extention of it like.

I was dead against the idea of AFC Liverpool to begin with, i thought they were simply a protest club, and that would only dilute the Union's cause. But Ive read their website, registered on their forum, and have been impressed by their ideas and profesionalism.

Also if i'm honest mate the questions in the poll are a wee bit unfair like.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      AFC Liverpool
      Reply #64: Jul 23, 2008 12:59:02 am
      AFC Liverpool make Merseyside bow

AFC Liverpool will play their first competitive match on Merseyside at Marine FC on Tuesday night.

The club has been formed by Liverpool FC fans looking for a cheaper alternative to Premier League football.

Unlike FC United, AFC Liverpool are not a protest club and have links with Liverpool FC, with the aim of being a 'little brother' to the Anfield club.

They have already received the backing of Kop hero Kenny Dalglish and current Reds manager Rafa Benitez.

In an e-mail to AFC Liverpool, Dalglish said: "It is a brilliant idea and I hope that it a success for you all.

"You can't always judge your success with results on the pitch.

"Your greatest success could be bringing a part of Liverpool FC to many people's lives. All the very best!"

When AFC held trials for a places in their squad in May over 300 players turned up.

"My message is just to wish them all the best, to score lots of goals and progress to another level. It will be fantastic for us"
      Liverpool FC manager Rafa Benitez

Since their formation in May, the club, who will play at Prescott Cables ground, have played two friendly matches and have been granted access to Vodkat League Division One for next season.

Benitez also believes the fledgling non-league club are a good idea, telling LFC TV: "I think that with more people closer to our club, it's good.

"My message is just to wish them all the best, to score lots of goals and progress to another level. It will be fantastic for us."

http://www.myfootballnews.co.uk/feed_news_jump.html?team_id=3&story=845432

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good luck lads, see you in the prem in a few years.
      paulrobbo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #65: Jul 23, 2008 12:10:23 pm
      Marine 2 AFC Liverpool 1
      Published on July 23, 2008

A game of two halves saw Marine emerge as narrow winners over AFC Liverpool, in the reds first ever Merseyside game.

AFC Liverpool looked accomplished in the first half, and despite being three leagues below their Merseyside neighbours, were the better side.

Midfield man Ian Johnson (pictured) put the reds into an early lead with a fine strike from distance on 7 minutes, beating the keeper comfortably at his left hand post.

Marine came back, first with an effort that struck the bar, and then through a Peter Cumiskey goal in the 38th minute.

Reds captain James Dever went close with a fine shot that was only a whisker over the bar.

But at half time the sides went in level, with AFC Liverpool unfortunate not to be ahead given the passage of play.

The second half was very much advantage to Marine. A Kevin Lynch goal two minutes after the interval put Marine ahead for the first time in the match, and the home side were much more comfortable from then on.

Still the visitors looked to play their passing game, and created a number of creditable efforts on goal. A Smeaton header was saved by Sean Lake. A trademark Crowder dribble ended with a shot into the side netting. McCoy was only prevented from scoring by a fine Marine block.

Yet the half belonged to Marine and ultimately so did the match. Reds fans will have been pleased enough with the result, but especially with the performance. The side’s reputation as an exciting, attacking, passing team builds with every game.

Full line up:

1. Terry McCormick
      2. Andy Barlow (Bkd 56)
      3. Martin Crowder
      4. Mark Bloxam
      5. Jay Chandler
      6. James Dever
      7. Ryan Wignall
      8. Ian Johnson (GOAL 7)
      9. Martin Smeaton
      10. Dave Eaton
      11. Ian Sheridan

12. Andy McCoy (70 for Sheridan)
      14. Dean Thurston (70 for Eaton)
      15. Kevin Poole (80 for Dever)
      16. Sean Nightingale (73 for Barlow)
      17. Jon Bathurst (80 for Smeaton)
      OVESPA
      • On Trial

• 4 posts |
      Reply #66: Jul 25, 2008 03:23:13 am
      So it wasn't going to happen eh.... well, well, well...
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #67: Jul 28, 2008 01:16:14 pm
      Good luck to them and Ill keep an eye out for there results but its LFC all the way for me always will be.
      browser
      • Forum Youth Player

• 17 posts |
      Reply #68: Aug 04, 2008 02:26:14 pm
      The first home game is on Saturday against Darwen at Prescot.

Anyone who can get down there, give it a go and spread the word. It'd be great to have a big crowd for the first home game.

Quick Reply