Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

Tennis

Read 176085 times
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Re: Tennis
      Reply #1219: Jul 01, 2014 11:50:58 pm
      Nadal is so frustrating the way he is so sh*te at Wimbledon now. Since he got twatted by Djokovic in the final of 2011 he has been woeful, 2nd round, first round and now 3rd round defeats.

It's amazing how ordinary he now looks on grass.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #1220: Jul 02, 2014 12:32:44 am
      He looked anything but ordinary. Kyrgios was just that good today.

Rafa and Maria are by far my favourites on either side so it hurt seeing them lose today but they lost to two outstanding performances.

Kyrgios....I couldn't believe it then and still can't. Terrific. And the way he stood there to sign autographs for five minutes with Rafa was great to see.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,288 posts | 2806 
      Reply #1221: Jul 02, 2014 03:34:23 pm
      Dimitrov's definitely going to win a lot pretty soon. Fantastic today, just a shame Murray was so poor. Robbed us of a wonderful game.

Looking forward to Federer v Wawrinka.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1222: Jul 02, 2014 04:44:10 pm
      Dimitrov's definitely going to win a lot pretty soon. Fantastic today, just a shame Murray was so poor. Robbed us of a wonderful game.

Looking forward to Federer v Wawrinka.

He looked so flat. Such a disappointment but Dimitrov is the future. Reminds me of Federer at times with his technique.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,001 posts | 3952 
      Reply #1223: Jul 02, 2014 04:50:14 pm
      He looked so flat. Such a disappointment but Dimitrov is the future. Reminds me of Federer at times with his technique.

Stopped watching when he was two sets up, I'll take that lad against anyone.
      Wicked serve and his consistent power shots will roll over people as they did today.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #1224: Jul 02, 2014 05:51:29 pm
      He's still a bit raw Dimitrov. Definitely will reach the top one day though. He can match it against the best and then produce a sh*t performance from nowhere. Having Roger Rasheed by his side will be help him along though.

He was my one to watch this season. Plenty of talent.

Hoping Kyrgios produces his best. Rough on a 19 year old to back up the next day at Wimbledon but he is so so talented. Should be a great match.
      Scottish Scouser
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 703 posts | 34 
      Reply #1225: Jul 03, 2014 05:02:10 pm
      I think I'm obsessed with Eugenie Bouchard. In fact, I'm sure I am. :P
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1226: Jul 06, 2014 06:57:57 pm
      Caught the second half of the final. Excellent match between two great players. Djokovic and Kvitova both replicating their success in the 2011 tournament in the men and women's singles.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,695 posts | 6696 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #1227: Jul 07, 2014 04:39:22 am
      Great match. Gutted for Roger but Djoker played at the top of his game for longer then Federer.
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,604 posts | 165 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #1228: Jul 07, 2014 04:41:04 am
      Great match. Gutted for Roger but Djoker played at the top of his game for longer then Federer.

:gt-happyup:
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #1229: Sep 07, 2014 12:02:20 am
      Cilic v Nishikori in a grand slam final :D

Federer got absolutely dominated. People love to commentate about his "class" and "elegance" but he's not going to win a grand slam ever again. Not since Rafa and Novak came in has he looked anything like a world number 1. Those two have just dominated men's tennis for the past half decade.

If only Rafa could stay fit he'd have more Grand Slam titles by now for sure and Novak will go close definitely.

And if Roger had proper competition his whole career instead of that stage where his main rivals were Roddick and co. he'd have half the titles he has.

Anyway can't wait for the final. You never know who is going to perform in such a big stage. Could be once in a lifetime opportunity for either player.

And go Caroline! She's a red and my second favourite woman on the tour. It's be huge for her to win the US even though it seems to be a curse for many (Murray, Del Potro, Stosur :D )
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1230: Sep 07, 2014 12:18:10 am
      Federer is still the greatest the game has ever seen but it looks unlikely he'll ever win another Grand Slam. Not at his age. Cilic v Nishikori - who would have thought it? Fully backing the Japanese as that would be one hell of a story.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #1231: Sep 07, 2014 01:48:50 am
      Well, he isn't FMS. He was still in his peak when Nadal and Djokovic dominated while they were yet to hit their peak.

Think Nadal and Djokovic are by far and way the two greatest tennis players of all time. Untouchable at their best (or even 80%).

Mentally, both are stronger than Roger. Roger probably has the better serve than both (definitely better than Nadal) but his groundstrokes aren't up their their standards.

I would love to see Kei win this one, too. Fan of his! But Cilic has been terrific this tournament and on the brink of winning something big for a while now. Ivanisevic has fine tuned his game. Should be a cracker if both bring their best.
      unwashedmasses
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,369 posts | 53 
      Reply #1232: Sep 07, 2014 08:23:24 am

Well, he isn't FMS. He was still in his peak when Nadal and Djokovic dominated while they were yet to hit their peak.

Tennis players peak seems to be earlier and shorter than other sports. You got to say that Federer's peak was 5-8 years ago now. He was pretty dominant then.

He was certainly still beating Djokovic easily at that time. Nadal peaked young and his game is the perfect counter to Federer's yet Federer still was beating him for a good while too.

The fact that Federer is even competitive still is amazing, sometimes forget that he is 33.

A valid case can be made for all 3 competitors. I just always admired Federer's style more than Nadal's, always felt it was more technical. His longevity would support this idea.

Don77
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,527 posts | 1083 
      Reply #1233: Sep 07, 2014 09:45:48 pm
      Good luck Caroline Wozniaki in the final .... always support our fellow reds.

Bring it home !!!
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #1234: Sep 08, 2014 01:16:23 pm
      Come on Cilic make us proud!
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,288 posts | 2806 
      Reply #1235: Sep 08, 2014 01:33:30 pm
      Think Nadal and Djokovic are by far and way the two greatest tennis players of all time. Untouchable at their best (or even 80%).

Think it's a bit silly to say they are 'far and way' the greatest. They are up there but I don't really see anything to suggest they are in a league of their own. Would be Federer for me, not just victories wise but for the fact that he played the most beautiful tennis I've seen in my lifetime.

Anyway, looking forward to tonight and it's refreshing to see two new faces in the final. Cilic was certainly spot on when he said Wawrinka's victory in Australia has given the chasing pack belief that they can win Slams.
      Red8
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 342 posts | 38 
      Reply #1236: Sep 08, 2014 01:50:59 pm

looking forward to final (finally a Croat in GS final after Goran). IvaniÅ¡ević taught him how to serve properly  ;D
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1237: Sep 08, 2014 02:13:01 pm
      Tennis players peak seems to be earlier and shorter than other sports. You got to say that Federer's peak was 5-8 years ago now. He was pretty dominant then.

He was certainly still beating Djokovic easily at that time. Nadal peaked young and his game is the perfect counter to Federer's yet Federer still was beating him for a good while too.

The fact that Federer is even competitive still is amazing, sometimes forget that he is 33.

A valid case can be made for all 3 competitors. I just always admired Federer's style more than Nadal's, always felt it was more technical. His longevity would support this idea.

Agreed. Federer is the one sportsman today who you could say he performs his sport as an artform. Incredible grace and elegance - he was born to play tennis. Don't think there's anything in Nadal or Djokovic's game that is half as beautiful as Roger at his finest.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,146 posts | 4897 
      Reply #1238: Sep 08, 2014 02:36:17 pm
      Think it's a bit silly to say they are 'far and way' the greatest. They are up there but I don't really see anything to suggest they are in a league of their own. Would be Federer for me, not just victories wise but for the fact that he played the most beautiful tennis I've seen in my lifetime.

Agree.

While I love watching Novac and Rafa, as well as Murray, Federer has been the greatest player I've ever seen play the game.

Red8
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 342 posts | 38 
      Reply #1239: Sep 08, 2014 02:50:23 pm
      new generation of tennis is all about power. Federer is "Last Mohican" in sport.

How I miss serve/volley in tennis these days
      Red8
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 342 posts | 38 
      Reply #1240: Sep 09, 2014 12:20:33 am
      Woooohoooo a win for Čilić. What a game.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #1241: Sep 09, 2014 01:26:11 am

That's not true. Male tennis players are hitting their peak later on in their career because of the aggressive progression of the game - roughly 24 years old. I think there's only one teenager in the top 100 (Nick Kyrgios - probably the most powerful and aggressive teenager I've ever seen).

Roger may have a better looking game but it's not "better". The only thing he has on the other two is his serve but even then Novak's isn't weak, and Rafa's lefty serve lets him get in to natural cross court rallies against a right hander's backhand. Roger's backhand has been his weakness against the elite players and hasn't adjusted it, while Rafa has adjusted his to not be such a weakness in his game. Roger's backhand rallying with Rafa's forehand is a no contest.

Novak and Rafa are quicker, better movers, better defensively, better attackers.

Pre-2010 Roger had 15 grand slams. Since then he has won 2.

Anyway I'm delighted for Cilic. Immense tournament from him, hit the ball so clean for two weeks.

Quick Reply