Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Tennis

Read 175129 times
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Re: Tennis
      Reply #1242: Sep 09, 2014 08:16:25 am
      Had Cilic to win in straight sets...woohooo.

Also had another bet of him to win the first set 6-4 into the straight sets win.

As Maxwell Smart would say....missed it by that much!
      unwashedmasses
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,369 posts | 53 
      Reply #1243: Sep 09, 2014 08:32:27 am
      That's not true. Male tennis players are hitting their peak later on in their career because of the aggressive progression of the game - roughly 24 years old. I think there's only one teenager in the top 100 (Nick Kyrgios - probably the most powerful and aggressive teenager I've ever seen).

Roger may have a better looking game but it's not "better". The only thing he has on the other two is his serve but even then Novak's isn't weak, and Rafa's lefty serve lets him get in to natural cross court rallies against a right hander's backhand. Roger's backhand has been his weakness against the elite players and hasn't adjusted it, while Rafa has adjusted his to not be such a weakness in his game. Roger's backhand rallying with Rafa's forehand is a no contest.

Novak and Rafa are quicker, better movers, better defensively, better attackers.

Pre-2010 Roger had 15 grand slams. Since then he has won 2.

Anyway I'm delighted for Cilic. Immense tournament from him, hit the ball so clean for two weeks.

If a player's peak is 24 then according to you Federer peaked in 2005. This is in fact quite accurate as he was dominant 2003-2007. So the fact he won anything 5 years after his peak is incredible and a testament to his longevity.

24 is still a little earlier than most other sports. For example we usually say a football's peak is at 26/27. I watch MMA and in that it's common for someone's prime to be even later.

I also said I preferred Federer's style of play, something that is completely subjective and that a case can be made for all 3 players. You are of the opinion that Novak and Nadal are better players, I can't argue that because I honestly think it's possible they are but I just don't know it for sure. I think they are probably the 3 greatest of all time.

We can't put a 2005 Federer vs a 2013 Djokovic. All I know is that it'd be a competitive match.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #1244: Sep 10, 2014 04:44:59 am
      Had Cilic to win in straight sets...woohooo.

Also had another bet of him to win the first set 6-4 into the straight sets win.

As Maxwell Smart would say....missed it by that much!

The first set scores are so hard to get because you got it right with him winning the set by a break but him serving first cost you. And markets get suspended for that as soon as you know who wins the toss.

Great bet to get on Cilic. Can't believe he was the outsider.

If a player's peak is 24 then according to you Federer peaked in 2005. This is in fact quite accurate as he was dominant 2003-2007. So the fact he won anything 5 years after his peak is incredible and a testament to his longevity.

24 is still a little earlier than most other sports. For example we usually say a football's peak is at 26/27. I watch MMA and in that it's common for someone's prime to be even later.

I also said I preferred Federer's style of play, something that is completely subjective and that a case can be made for all 3 players. You are of the opinion that Novak and Nadal are better players, I can't argue that because I honestly think it's possible they are but I just don't know it for sure. I think they are probably the 3 greatest of all time.

We can't put a 2005 Federer vs a 2013 Djokovic. All I know is that it'd be a competitive match.

Novak and Rafa have dominated in the best men's era ever. Federer beat the likes of Roddick, Hewitt, Safin, Baghdatis etc. who all fell away as soon as they new era came through. I think he's pretty lucky to have been around just before the real boom in men's tennis because he was clearly ahead of the rest who proved to be not great.

Anyway I think he should of retired after Wimbledon in 2012, or that 2012 season. Would of gone out on a high, now he won't win another slam.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      Reply #1245: Sep 10, 2014 07:06:44 am
      The first set scores are so hard to get because you got it right with him winning the set by a break but him serving first cost you. And markets get suspended for that as soon as you know who wins the toss.

Great bet to get on Cilic. Can't believe he was the outsider.

Cheers Bud, as soon as I saw the score on the Cilic v Fed match, I thought, F**k if he can do that to Fed, what's he gonna do to this Japanese bloke. Just couldn't believe the odds. Wish I had put more on. If I had your cash, I would have made a mint.  ;)

crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #1246: Sep 10, 2014 08:03:31 am
      Haha I got on Cilic too but not much, nerves could of played a big part so wasn't 100% sure.

Only bet on Round 1 and 2 then the final (and Caroline @ $7.50 in the 4th round or something).
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      Reply #1247: Mar 11, 2015 11:28:59 pm
      Haha I got on Cilic too but not much, nerves could of played a big part so wasn't 100% sure.

Only bet on Round 1 and 2 then the final (and Caroline @ $7.50 in the 4th round or something).

This is for you Crouchie, you will love it being the Fed Hater that you are  ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hU2jPw0mjaE#ws
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #1248: Mar 12, 2015 12:59:22 am
      This is for you Crouchie, you will love it being the Fed Hater that you are  ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hU2jPw0mjaE#ws

Owned.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #1249: Mar 12, 2015 12:59:32 am
      Found out that a bloke I work with's daughter is Britain's no.5 ranked British female tennis player.  Not sure that means much in world tennis terms, but she just flew him out for an impromptu holiday in the middle east with her winnings. Mike deserves it as well, had a tough old year.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #1250: Jun 07, 2015 02:15:48 pm
      Should be a good final this.

Novak will want this one badly.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #1251: Jun 07, 2015 05:10:40 pm
      Great game of tennis so far and Novak close to taking it into a final set.

Stan has been excellent.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #1252: Jun 07, 2015 05:26:45 pm
      Stan got it!

3-1.

Great to see.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #1253: Jun 07, 2015 05:29:32 pm
      Wawrinka! Great player. Well deserved win.

Djoko still haven't won a French Open title.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #1254: Jun 30, 2015 08:52:34 pm
      Anybody been watching Wimbledon so far? There's been some great performances by British players/adopted Brits.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1255: Jun 30, 2015 10:33:11 pm
      Anybody been watching Wimbledon so far? There's been some great performances by British players/adopted Brits.

Seen the odd bit but that's it, doesn't seem to have been any shock results so far
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #1256: Jun 30, 2015 11:13:20 pm
      Seen the odd bit but that's it, doesn't seem to have been any shock results so far

Bedene (British number 2) beat Radek Stepanek in 5 sets today. Stepanek is ranked about 100 places below Bedene but it's a good scalp for him to have. Heather Watson knocked out the number 32 seed. The big upsets tend to occur after round 2 when some of the lesser players have found their confidence and got into a rhythm.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #1257: Jul 01, 2015 12:56:33 am
      Loved it as always. One of my favourite sporting events every year.

Whilst everyone in Australia is hyping Tomic, Kyrgios and Kokkinakis, my tip for stardom is Borna Coric from Croatia. He beat Sergiy Stakhovsky (sp?!) in 5 sets in the first round. Saw him beat Tommy Robredo on clay in the French in five sets as well which is insane for an 18 yr old and already at world no.40. Big fan of his (moreso when i backed him to win at $3.40 ;D ).

Simona Halep lost in a huge upset earlier today. Can't believe that one.

Cheering on Maria and Rafa as always. Fingers crossed!
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #1258: Jul 01, 2015 01:07:32 am
      Just looking at the draw and Tomas Berdych once again looks like he could go very deep in the tournament. Has a nice draw and only has Gilles Simon and Gael Monfils in his section of the draw until the QF's where he could meet Federer.

Currently at 40/1 to win the tournament and 7/2 to win that quarter of the draw.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #1259: Jul 01, 2015 11:39:23 am
      Just looking at the draw and Tomas Berdych once again looks like he could go very deep in the tournament. Has a nice draw and only has Gilles Simon and Gael Monfils in his section of the draw until the QF's where he could meet Federer.

Currently at 40/1 to win the tournament and 7/2 to win that quarter of the draw.

Great about mate.

I've missed most of Wimbledon so far and only seen one match at Queens so need to get sorted.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #1260: Jul 01, 2015 01:26:50 pm
      Womens tennis is just stupid. Coco Wandeheghe beats Pliskova somehow in straight sets.

Enjoying Tomic play now. Striking it brilliantly.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1261: Jul 01, 2015 02:37:42 pm
      Womens tennis is just stupid. Coco Wandeheghe beats Pliskova somehow in straight sets.

Enjoying Tomic play now. Striking it brilliantly.

So which one of Kyrgios or Tomic will the take the place of the great Lleyton Hewitt? He'll leave a big hole in the tennis landscape. Can't believe it was 13 years ago when he stormed the tournament. Remember him dismantling Henman in the semis that year - the guy was on another level and won the tournament with what looked like ease (then again many of the top seeds had gone before the latter rounds hence Nalbandian's status as unexpected runner up!). Maybe with better luck on injuries and a bit more application after that Wimbledon win he could have provided a consistent challenge to Federer in the early years of his dominance? Then again, I don't know about you but any challenge to Roger 10 years ago was futile. 

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1262: Jul 01, 2015 09:06:09 pm
      This new Wimbledon highlights format on the BBC is atrocious. They've even renamed it from the pleasant 'Today at Wimbledon' to 'Wimbledon 2Day' - just to be "with it" and down and engaging with the kids and got a selection of joe public's family standing watching the likes of McEnroe, Henman and co talk in some hideous corporate suite (what's wrong with the splendour of the Wimbledon courts in evening as a backdrop?) while showing jack sh*t of the tennis. And as good as Clare Balding is as a presenter we don't need her on every second bloody programme.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #1263: Jul 02, 2015 07:28:21 am
      So which one of Kyrgios or Tomic will the take the place of the great Lleyton Hewitt? He'll leave a big hole in the tennis landscape. Can't believe it was 13 years ago when he stormed the tournament. Remember him dismantling Henman in the semis that year - the guy was on another level and won the tournament with what looked like ease (then again many of the top seeds had gone before the latter rounds hence Nalbandian's status as unexpected runner up!). Maybe with better luck on injuries and a bit more application after that Wimbledon win he could have provided a consistent challenge to Federer in the early years of his dominance? Then again, I don't know about you but any challenge to Roger 10 years ago was futile. 

A decade ago no one was even close to the level of tennis now which is why i think Federer's achievements are well over-hyped. He won a bulk of his Grand Slam titles against guys who immediately dropped outside the top 20 once the new wave came through. He hasn't won one since.

On talent, Kyrgios wins hands down. He has it all. But he's a massive c**t and proved it again last night. The only person who will stop him making it to the top is himself. He could be in the top 10 in the next two years but his professionalism may hold him back.

Tomic lacks the mobility to make it to the very top imo. His shots are brilliant but he's a big lad and speed isn't great. He seems to have fixed up his attitude and he's a lot calmer now. I hope he kicks on because he's a great talent.

Novak plays Tomic next. Kyrgios plays Raonic. Two brilliant matches.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1264: Jul 02, 2015 06:49:16 pm
      The amount of time and bounces Nadal takes between points is ridiculous. Making a bit of a meal out of this Dustin Brown match at the moment.

Contrary to what crouchie thinks about him, he'll never have the grace and flair Federer has. Watched his performance against Querry today - beautiful from the start. The arguments that Roger never had the challengers while he was on top is unfair. Such dominance will always bring such criticisms similar to Schumacher's dominance of f1 a decade ago. Like Schumi in his sport no man has risen the levels required to be the best quite in the way Federer did.

Quick Reply