Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

Tennis

Read 176096 times
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,796 posts | 2447 
      Re: Tennis
      Reply #1380: Jul 12, 2015 04:08:00 pm
      Same. I'm usually a Nadal support but with him gone so early in the competition, and with the level of tennis Federer has been playing at such an advanced age, I've come to really want him to win it after all

Yea I'm a Nadal supporter too but unfortunately injuries and lack of confidence seem to have got the better of him. Hope he bounces back.

Federer is an incredible athlete arguably playing his best ever tennis in this tournament at 33!!!
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,146 posts | 4897 
      Reply #1381: Jul 12, 2015 04:08:16 pm
      Awesome stuff so far.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,796 posts | 2447 
      Reply #1382: Jul 12, 2015 04:17:41 pm
      Shocking miss by Federer to allow Djokovic break serve
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,146 posts | 4897 
      Reply #1383: Jul 12, 2015 05:16:00 pm
      Slipping away from Roger a little this set.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #1384: Jul 12, 2015 05:27:52 pm
      Shame. Djokovic wins it for the 3rd time.

He's obviously a very worthy winner but I really wanted Federer to win it this year.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1385: Jul 12, 2015 05:42:19 pm
      Yeah, Djokovic fully deserved.

Disappointing last couple of sets especially after those incredible first two sets from both players. You could hear the energy and the adrenaline of the Federer supporting crowd had sort of given up at the start of the 4th set. Maybe, just maybe, Federer's fitness couldn't keep up with Djokovic's in the end. I think Roger from 10 years ago would have more than kept the pace but maybe a slight indication today that his age was catching up with him. Would have been wonderful to see Roger win it today but it wasn't to be.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #1386: Jul 12, 2015 09:38:51 pm
      Unlucky, Roger. You're just not at the same level as Novak.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1387: Jul 13, 2015 12:54:37 am
      Unlucky, Roger. You're just not at the same level as Novak.

Yet only one has the career grand slam.  8)
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,121 posts | 450 
      Reply #1388: Jul 13, 2015 01:03:16 am
      No Superman performance from Fedrer.  When he beat Murray, I didn't watch the match, but the media made out that Andy lost to superman.  It was as if Andy didn't lose the way things were put.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1389: Jul 13, 2015 01:32:01 am
      No Superman performance from Fedrer.  When he beat Murray, I didn't watch the match, but the media made out that Andy lost to superman.  It was as if Andy didn't lose the way things were put.

Anyone who watched that would have struggled to have remembered a better performance from Federer. It happens less and less these days but every now and again the Swiss is able to pull out a performance of such supreme perfection just to remind us of how good he is. That was probably his finest victory in a grand slam since beating Djokovic in the semis of the French Open 4 years ago.

Like Ayrton Senna in an f1 car, Federer's top game is the epitome of charisma and idealism. Pure art.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,121 posts | 450 
      Reply #1390: Jul 13, 2015 03:33:44 am
      Fair enough like I say I didn't watch the game and Federer is definitely one of a kind that I believe too.  And you really don't need to be a tennis fan to realise that.  But with Murray he get to hyped up.  I don't like the guy.  The thing is successful sports personalities are always lifted to the sky's and then drop down head first by the media.  I feel that with Andy the media have held him tight with both arms high in the clouds. 
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #1391: Jul 13, 2015 11:59:06 am
      Yet only one has the career grand slam.  8)

Made only 4 grand slam finals in over 5 years (3 of them Wimbledon). Rafa has made 12 and missed 3 tournaments. Novak has made 15.

Since 2011:

Novak leads 14-7.

Rafa leads 9-2.

Can't be the best ever when he's up against two players better than him right now.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1392: Jul 13, 2015 01:57:44 pm
      Made only 4 grand slam finals in over 5 years (3 of them Wimbledon). Rafa has made 12 and missed 3 tournaments. Novak has made 15.

Since 2011:

Novak leads 14-7.

Rafa leads 9-2.

Can't be the best ever when he's up against two players better than him right now.

Different stages of career clearly.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #1393: Jul 13, 2015 02:07:04 pm

Federer was 28. Novak being 23, Rafa 24.

So Federer was in his peak for 2-3 years in that time.

The difference? Roger didn't have to beat guys who slipped away out of the top 20 once Rafa, Novak and even Murray came through.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1394: Jul 13, 2015 05:28:32 pm
      Federer was 28. Novak being 23, Rafa 24.

So Federer was in his peak for 2-3 years in that time.

The difference? Roger didn't have to beat guys who slipped away out of the top 20 once Rafa, Novak and even Murray came through.

It's hard to say when his peak was but I'd say Federer's peak was around 06-07 when he was a bit younger than 28 as evidenced in some astonishing performances like at the 07 Aussie open. I'd say Nadal was at his peak not long after Federer was. I think he passed it a few years back. No doubt that Djokovic is the master now though.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1395: Jul 19, 2015 05:57:31 pm
      Utterly superb news for Great Britain in the Davis Cup! In to their first semi final for 34 years!

Though there was no chance for Murray against Simon. He looked down and out after the first set but somehow summoned the will to pull through in 4 sets such is his quality. Shout out to Jamie Murray who was incredible in the doubles yesterday as well!
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #1396: Jul 19, 2015 07:54:18 pm
      Utterly superb news for Great Britain in the Davis Cup! In to their first semi final for 34 years!

Though there was no chance for Murray against Simon. He looked down and out after the first set but somehow summoned the will to pull through in 4 sets such is his quality. Shout out to Jamie Murray who was incredible in the doubles yesterday as well!

For Murray to come through 3 very tough matches in 3 days is crazy too. The guy is crazy athletic. I was looking forward to watching Ward play, wish they'd have put his match before Murray's :D Every tie for Britain has come down the doubles match such is Murray's strength in his Davis Cup singles matches. As you say though, shout out to Jamie Murray for his big part in this victory and a big shout out to Ward who has won some very big Davis Cup matches in previous round. They came no bigger than when he beat Isner.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1397: Jul 19, 2015 08:20:40 pm
      For Murray to come through 3 very tough matches in 3 days is crazy too. The guy is crazy athletic. I was looking forward to watching Ward play, wish they'd have put his match before Murray's :D Every tie for Britain has come down the doubles match such is Murray's strength in his Davis Cup singles matches. As you say though, shout out to Jamie Murray for his big part in this victory and a big shout out to Ward who has won some very big Davis Cup matches in previous round. They came no bigger than when he beat Isner.

I think Ward's victory over Isner at the start of the year was the most memorable Davis Cup match I'd ever seen and probably one of the biggest wins for GB in Davis Cup tennis. That match continues to underpin their progress this year. Also the Glaswegian crowd was incredible in helping him over the line as well.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #1398: Sep 03, 2015 10:10:12 pm
      Murray is getting bummed at the minute by the Frenchman Mannarino (ranked 308 in the world). He's 2-0 down in sets but Murray has just broken serve to make it 2-0 in the 3rd set.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #1399: Sep 03, 2015 10:31:05 pm
      Murray just stormed through the 3rd set 6-1.
      siavashiva
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 811 posts | 113 
      Reply #1400: Sep 14, 2015 04:55:18 am
      Djokovic might have deservedly won it again, but Federer is undoubtedly the greatest tennis player ever existed.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,695 posts | 6696 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #1401: Sep 15, 2015 07:16:13 am
      Guttted for Fed....AGAIN.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #1402: Sep 20, 2015 04:15:09 pm
      GB into the Davis Cup final after being Australia! What an achievement that is. Murray is the main reason for the success so far but if James Ward hadn't have beaten John Isner a few rounds ago then we would not have made it this far. 

Quick Reply