Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

Tennis

Read 176058 times
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Re: Tennis
      Reply #1587: Sep 08, 2016 11:53:00 am
      Wawrinka beat Del Potro. F**k that!
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #1588: Sep 08, 2016 03:12:03 pm
      Yeah sure. Two Olympic gold medals, three Grand Slam tournaments in the age of the greatest players of all time (Nadal, Djokovic and Federer), 39 singles tournaments overall and winning the David Cup almost single handedly. Proper bottler he is.

Simple as - Wimbledon, Olympics and then the Cincinatti Masters, getting to the final of all three has caught up on him. Nishikori was clearly the fitter of the two in those last two sets. The US Open is when the top seeds are most vulnerable as a long season catches up on them here and for someone who has been full at it the whole summer and indeed the whole season it's not a huge surprise. Hence the reason why Cilic of all people won the tournament a couple of years back.

And why Stosur won a Grand Slam. And Vinci played Panetta in a final.

The US Open is always a surprise. Great fun.

Praying Caroline wins it. I don't get tired of saying I played her in table tennis many years ago :D And she's a massive Red.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #1589: Sep 08, 2016 03:13:36 pm
      Was a very odd match, Murray looked very jaded but it really doesn't matter, Djokovich will win this tournament easily, he must be fresh as a daisy with all those retirements and walkover.

Didn't mean to plus this post but I agree anyway :D the walkovers will help big time.

But Monfils is one of those guys on tour that has a style that can rustle the feathers of the big boys if he brings his A game. Hope he does.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1590: Sep 08, 2016 03:14:25 pm
      And why Stosur won a Grand Slam. And Vinci played Panetta in a final.

The US Open is always a surprise. Great fun.

Praying Caroline wins it. I don't get tired of saying I played her in table tennis many years ago :D And she's a massive Red.

Ah so that's the real reason why she split with Rory then ;-)
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #1591: Sep 08, 2016 03:15:31 pm
      Ah so that's the real reason why she split with Rory then ;-)

The Manc turd was punching above his weight anyway ;)
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1592: Sep 08, 2016 03:27:40 pm
      Didn't mean to plus this post but I agree anyway :D the walkovers will help big time.

But Monfils is one of those guys on tour that has a style that can rustle the feathers of the big boys if he brings his A game. Hope he does.

Unfulfilled potential is Monfils? Heard so much about him when he was a youngster a few years back.

And how did you end up playing with Wozniacki at table tennis?!

And yeah - she was much too good for that money obsessed, ("but I'll blame Zika for my non appearance at the Olympics"), Manc supporting n*b McIlroy!
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #1593: Sep 09, 2016 02:00:29 am
      Unfulfilled potential is Monfils? Heard so much about him when he was a youngster a few years back.

And how did you end up playing with Wozniacki at table tennis?!

And yeah - she was much too good for that money obsessed, ("but I'll blame Zika for my non appearance at the Olympics"), Manc supporting n*b McIlroy!

Could be unfulfilled. He is top 10, though, and that's probably as good as he could get in the current scene but i've always thought on his day, he could beat anyone. If his game clicks, good luck to his opponent.

Our tennis club went to the Sydney International. She was there and on one of those fan days and she was playing table tennis. By chance i managed to get a paddle and play against her :D I did not win, though.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #1594: Sep 09, 2016 09:04:06 pm
      Typical Murray bottled it with the tournament open to be won

Haha i wish i could be a bottler like him!
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,475 posts | 4821 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #1595: Oct 12, 2016 04:35:48 pm
      So, that Nick Kyrgios is a complete pr**k. What a dislikable little wretch.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #1596: Oct 12, 2016 04:38:33 pm
      So, that Nick Kyrgios is a complete pr**k. What a dislikable little wretch.

What's the immature little f**ker done this time?
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,475 posts | 4821 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #1597: Oct 12, 2016 04:41:26 pm
      Throwing points at the Shanghai masters and then giving it to the fans during the game and then in the post presser.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1598: Oct 12, 2016 05:33:20 pm
      Throwing points at the Shanghai masters and then giving it to the fans during the game and then in the post presser.

I would love to have been the bloke he argued with at courtside when he said do you want to take my place, I would have said "Yes sure, IF I can have your match fee, because you sure as hell don't deserve it you spoilt little sh*t!"

In all seriousness I don't understand why he is not thrown out of the game, he really is a walking disaster area and embarrassment to tennis. It's one thing to have a temper, like McEnroe, but at least he used it in a positive way, not this petulant defeatist sulking sh*t, which basically sticks 2 fingers up at the paying audience.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1599: Oct 15, 2016 06:18:21 pm
      Djokovic having a hissy fit of his own today!
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1600: Nov 04, 2016 09:38:59 pm
      One win away from the world number 1 spot is Murray. ONE WIN!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/37872449
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1601: Nov 05, 2016 03:42:34 pm
      http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/37882467

World Number 1 for the first time in his career. It took a while but f**king hell does he deserve it. I think we've got our Sports Personality of the Year...again! :D
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1602: Nov 20, 2016 07:32:15 pm
      This is amazing tennis by Murray against Djokovic in this World Tour Final. Near flawless.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,581 posts | 3911 
      Reply #1603: Nov 20, 2016 08:06:05 pm
      Andy Murray a true champion and the best ever British sportstar
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #1604: Nov 20, 2016 08:12:15 pm
      Incredible stuff by Andy. Well done. Ends the year as the world's number 1, and deservedly so.

Also, won the game just in time for Planet Earth 2!
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1605: Nov 20, 2016 08:20:01 pm
      Andy Murray a true champion and the best ever British sportstar

I agree. I remember things were said about him winning the US Open Juniors in 2004 and how he had the potential to be the best in the world. Then it was the grass court season at Queens and Wimbledon 2005 (which included that EPIC 5 setter against Nalbandian) that he came into the consciousness of the public.

Still, even then it seemed hard to believe that Britain would see a world number 1 given that Henman was as good as it got for Britain in the numerous decades that the professional game had gone through. 12 years later - here we are. That he has done it in this of all eras is even richer.

What a hero.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,001 posts | 3952 
      Reply #1606: Nov 20, 2016 09:03:13 pm
      Caught a shot of him holding a tiny none-descript trophy and thought he'd got beat, amazing news well done Andy Murray.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #1607: Nov 20, 2016 09:12:15 pm
      Caught a shot of him holding a tiny none-descript trophy and thought he'd got beat, amazing news well done Andy Murray.

Who needs a huge trophy when the prize money was £1.9m for winning mate  ;D
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,001 posts | 3952 
      Reply #1608: Nov 20, 2016 09:29:37 pm

Holy sh*t!
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,968 posts | 3052 
      Reply #1609: Nov 20, 2016 09:38:26 pm

Tell you what though Debs - my love for the redmen and the beautiful game notwithstanding - those tennis boys come closer than any other sportsmen I know to earning the ridiculous money on offer.

My admiration for what they, and Murray in particular, put their bodies through is through the roof.......

Quick Reply