Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Tennis

Read 175162 times
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Re: Tennis
      Reply #1311: Jul 06, 2015 10:44:47 pm
      Anderson needs to stop getting so close to the net, he's failing to dig the ball out and back over

Yeah, he was doing alright from the baseline against Djokovic. In fact he was excellent! Maybe got too anxious. Saw a lot of net play from Karlovic in his match against Murray earlier as well. Didn't have much success - lost count of the number of passing shots Murray sent past him.

mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #1312: Jul 06, 2015 10:50:26 pm
      Yeah, he was doing alright from the baseline against Djokovic. In fact he was excellent! Maybe got too anxious. Saw a lot of net play from Karlovic in his match against Murray earlier as well. Didn't have much success - lost count of the number of passing shots Murray sent past him.

I think he probably thought that by approaching the net it would make Djokovic nervous and start to overthink things but it basically provided Djokovic with so much room to play whatever shot he wanted.

On one hand I hope Djokovic wins (you always want the best in the final) but on the other it'd be good to see Anderson win (would make for a killer underdog story). Something tells me that Djokovic will win the 5th set quite comfortably though.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1313: Jul 06, 2015 11:26:42 pm
      I think he probably thought that by approaching the net it would make Djokovic nervous and start to overthink things but it basically provided Djokovic with so much room to play whatever shot he wanted.

On one hand I hope Djokovic wins (you always want the best in the final) but on the other it'd be good to see Anderson win (would make for a killer underdog story). Something tells me that Djokovic will win the 5th set quite comfortably though.

I think so too. But at the same time Anderson was probably most happy to get off and get some rest given that he isn't as fit as Djokovic. After losing two sets in a row and in quick time as well he was probably quite relieved to leave it hanging in the balance overnight.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #1314: Jul 07, 2015 09:06:12 am
      As for that Kyrkos or whatever his name is; what a complete tw*t. If you aren't even going to bother then just get off the court.

Winning or losing, he does that. Just finds a period of the match where he doesn't try, doesn't care and swings his racquet or doesn't chase the ball.

Should have made it 2 sets all. Double faulted with two set points and then lost 4 points straight in the 4th set tie break.

Could be anything he wants. IF he wants.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #1315: Jul 07, 2015 01:57:41 pm
      This final set of Djokovic vs Anderson is a beauty so far.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1316: Jul 07, 2015 05:41:46 pm
      Really wish Azarenka would shut the hell up
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1317: Jul 07, 2015 05:44:34 pm
      This final set of Djokovic vs Anderson is a beauty so far.

Missed it as I was working but it sounded like a fine set of tennis to finish off a fine tennis match.

In other news Caroline Wozniacki has been alluding to sexism over the fact that there are less women's tennis matches on the show courts.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/jul/06/caroline-wozniacki-wimbledon-show-courts

Now I like Wozniacki but these shouts of sexism coming from all angles in women's tennis these days is ridiculous. Maybe the good paying public would rather see two men's matches, a potential 3-4 hour thriller and one women's match (as is usually the case in the first few rounds) on centre or number 1 court rather than be short changed by watching numerous women's matches that could be all done and dusted by 40 minutes. Not saying that women's tennis is unappealing - the match between Williams and Watson on Friday was probably the best of the tournament - but I don't think it's fair to sideline the men's game which is astoundingly brilliant. If you started doing that AND given the fact that these guys are out on court twice as long as the women then it just becomes unfair on the men. People don't pay money to see equality they come to see quality. Besides, isn't equal prize money good enough?
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #1318: Jul 07, 2015 06:44:01 pm
      Missed it as I was working but it sounded like a fine set of tennis to finish off a fine tennis match.

In other news Caroline Wozniacki has been alluding to sexism over the fact that there are less women's tennis matches on the show courts.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/jul/06/caroline-wozniacki-wimbledon-show-courts

Now I like Wozniacki but these shouts of sexism coming from all angles in women's tennis these days is ridiculous. Maybe the good paying public would rather see two men's matches, a potential 3-4 hour thriller and one women's match (as is usually the case in the first few rounds) on centre or number 1 court rather than be short changed by watching numerous women's matches that could be all done and dusted by 40 minutes. Not saying that women's tennis is unappealing - the match between Williams and Watson on Friday was probably the best of the tournament - but I don't think it's fair to sideline the men's game which is astoundingly brilliant. If you started doing that AND given the fact that these guys are out on court twice as long as the women then it just becomes unfair on the men. People don't pay money to see equality they come to see quality. Besides, isn't equal prize money good enough?

If anything the fact the women get the same amount of money for playing less tennis would be sexist against men. There are less women's matches on the show courts because less people want to see them. Simple. Another example the world is going mad for 'sexism'. It's meant to be equal rights not more rights and special treatment for women.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1319: Jul 07, 2015 07:00:10 pm
      If anything the fact the women get the same amount of money for playing less tennis would be sexist against men. There are less women's matches on the show courts because less people want to see them. Simple. Another example the world is going mad for 'sexism'. It's meant to be equal rights not more rights and special treatment for women.

Your comment reminds me of this excellent shot article written last year. I think you'll be very interested!
      http://www.spectator.co.uk/features/9197481/the-descent-of-man/

Back on topic though - Serena is through in three sets and will face Sharapova in the semis. I wonder if Sharapova can fix her awful record against Serena (she last beat her in 2004 I believe - may even have been the Wimbledon final of that year)
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #1320: Jul 07, 2015 10:12:25 pm
      Bad semi-final for Maria :( I always have faith she can win but she rarely does verse Serena.

I love Muguruza, i love Aggie and i love Maria most of all (3 of my top 4 favourite players, as well as Wozniacki) but i can't see past Serena winning this tournament. Aggie can't beat Serena (i think she did wipe her 6-0/6-0 or something stupid at the WTA Masters last year though?) and Maria has a shocking record against her. Muguruza has the game but the women tend to choke their first grand slam final should she make it.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1321: Jul 08, 2015 07:31:21 pm
      Marin Cilic's record against Djokovic continues to be nothing short of appalling.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #1322: Jul 08, 2015 07:37:12 pm
      Marin Cilic's record against Djokovic continues to be nothing short of appalling.

As does most peoples :P
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1323: Jul 08, 2015 07:59:25 pm

Ha ha - true! But for a Grand Slam winner as Cilic is now, a record of 12 losses and no victories is not great.

And Gasquet has just beaten Wawrinka! That is a great achievement for the guy!
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #1324: Jul 09, 2015 02:25:17 pm
      Aggie absolutely blitzing Muguruza now. She was down a set and break and now won 6 games straight. She's so good at that.

But if Garbine regroups and wins this match she'll win the tournament. Calling it now.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #1325: Jul 09, 2015 03:11:18 pm
      Garbine! Strong showing to win that out.

Now Maria vs Serena. Come on Maria... :(
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1326: Jul 09, 2015 07:50:40 pm
      Garbine! Strong showing to win that out.

Now Maria vs Serena. Come on Maria... :(

Why can she not do it against Serena? Too predictable, doesn't mix her game up enough?
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #1327: Jul 09, 2015 09:33:58 pm
      Why can she not do it against Serena? Too predictable, doesn't mix her game up enough?

Baseline power game vs Serena-level baseline power game doesn't work. And Maria's serve has been her issue for a long time - it just goes missing too often.

Should be an interesting match up in the final with Muguruza and Serena. Can't wait for it.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1328: Jul 09, 2015 11:27:01 pm
      Serena vs Sharapova is like Suarez vs Norwich....Brutal.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4877 
      Reply #1329: Jul 10, 2015 12:05:48 am
      Serena is one of the true sporting greats.

mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #1330: Jul 10, 2015 01:26:58 pm
      Djokovic 2-1 up in games so far, each player has broken one of the other's service games so far.

I love Gasquet's back hand, hits it with such power and accuracy.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4877 
      Reply #1331: Jul 10, 2015 01:51:50 pm
      Off all day so finally get to see some tennis.

Agree Mcarz Gasquet's backhand has been sweet.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #1332: Jul 10, 2015 01:52:16 pm
      They're absolutely smashing the ball. Some massive hitting.

Brilliant opening set. Gasquet's backhand on point.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #1333: Jul 10, 2015 04:17:24 pm
      This second semi-final should be a closer match than the first. Murray has only won 1 set in the last 3 meetings in grand slams or ATP events, Federer winning the other 7.

Quick Reply