Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Notion of an Everton Ground Share again?

Read 36565 times
      Milo the Monkey
      • Forum Youth Player

• 15 posts |
      Re: Notion of an Everton Ground Share again?
      Reply #69: Nov 27, 2009 09:02:25 am
      Four simple words

OVER MY DEAD BODY :f_steam:
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #70: Nov 27, 2009 09:21:24 am
      According to the papers today Livepool have said no.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #71: Nov 27, 2009 09:36:56 am
      According to the papers today Livepool have said no.
      Liverpool have always said no but the blue sh*te are more passionate for some reason and will get very animated at the mention of it????
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #72: Nov 27, 2009 09:39:21 am
      Hi Stuey
      It would of been a backward step if Liverpool agreed  :-\
      Alastair
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,414 posts |
      • Biggidy Biggidy Boom!
      Reply #73: Nov 27, 2009 09:49:25 am
      Slaughter me all you want for this, but my head says yes, and if any of you have any business or financial sense you would agree too.

A massive retail partner would allow us to put up 80000 seats no problem, this venue could then be used for gigs, shows and other things too (much like 02 arena - tennis anyone?). It would create jobs, have a positive impact on Liverpool (it is meant to be a city of culture too), and would line our pockets massively. For those who dont know how ground shares work:

The offices of both clubs will be seperate, that includes all day to day running, training grounds, tickets sales, everything, EVEN changing rooms. Only thing being shared is Match Day games. This means that Liverpool would still make money from larger home attendances, plus any other money generated - retail partners, tours, shows, exhibitions, corporate income, etc.

Also, I have been to the San Siro on a Milan derby day, and I can safely say that the atmosphere is electric, everyone sits along side each other and creates an excellent backdrop to the game - and this happens twice a year.

It would also mean that Anfield and Goodison could be sold off for land revenue which would generate income for the clubs respectively.

Its stupid tribalism that stops this, everything like I said is seperate. And in future this will be the only way to go.

In my locality, Cardiff City now ground share with Cardiff Blues (Rugby) as do Swansea City with NS Ospreys (Rugby) and both stadiums are stunning used for more than just sport and both have brought prosperity to South Wales. So really I think all of you saying over my dead body need to think, do you want a club to support now or a club for generations to cherish and admire down the line, because trust me this could be out only way forward.
      Volle
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 770 posts |
      • Champions 2019/20
      Reply #74: Nov 27, 2009 10:03:43 am
      I suspect the bitters would be slightly more keen than us Liverpudlians.

No, no, no, no and deffo NO !!

Watching the news tonight, they interviewed some scallies, and they actually said, as a last resort they would share with Liverpool if it meant they could stay in the City  ::)

F**k Off to Kirby....the City's all ours.

It seems to me that blueshite fans are more keen on this now yes, and they claim that everton has soul ?? Liverpool FC has soul and leave our homeground alone bluebastards !
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #75: Nov 27, 2009 10:21:53 am
      Hi Stuey
      It would of been a backward step if Liverpool agreed  :-\
      Alright Keith
      I have always refused to even consider it but after reading the post by Alastair there does seem to be some very feasible points to the idea - the tribal thing tho is just too big an obstacle to overcome and for that reason I can't see it getting off the ground(no pun intended).
      Alastair
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,414 posts |
      • Biggidy Biggidy Boom!
      Reply #76: Nov 27, 2009 10:27:26 am
      Alright Keith
      I have always refused to even consider it but after reading the post by Alastair there does seem to be some very feasible points to the idea - the tribal thing tho is just too big an obstacle to overcome and for that reason I can't see it getting off the ground(no pun intended).

Stuey, I think it may be too late tbh, this should have happened around early 90s. There are so many clubs in the same position, Chelsea and Fulham to name two.
      Volle
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 770 posts |
      • Champions 2019/20
      Reply #77: Nov 27, 2009 10:33:23 am
      Slaughter me all you want for this, but my head says yes, and if any of you have any business or financial sense you would agree too.

A massive retail partner would allow us to put up 80000 seats no problem, this venue could then be used for gigs, shows and other things too (much like 02 arena - tennis anyone?). It would create jobs, have a positive impact on Liverpool (it is meant to be a city of culture too), and would line our pockets massively. For those who dont know how ground shares work:

The offices of both clubs will be seperate, that includes all day to day running, training grounds, tickets sales, everything, EVEN changing rooms. Only thing being shared is Match Day games. This means that Liverpool would still make money from larger home attendances, plus any other money generated - retail partners, tours, shows, exhibitions, corporate income, etc.

Also, I have been to the San Siro on a Milan derby day, and I can safely say that the atmosphere is electric, everyone sits along side each other and creates an excellent backdrop to the game - and this happens twice a year.

It would also mean that Anfield and Goodison could be sold off for land revenue which would generate income for the clubs respectively.

Its stupid tribalism that stops this, everything like I said is seperate. And in future this will be the only way to go.

In my locality, Cardiff City now ground share with Cardiff Blues (Rugby) as do Swansea City with NS Ospreys (Rugby) and both stadiums are stunning used for more than just sport and both have brought prosperity to South Wales. So really I think all of you saying over my dead body need to think, do you want a club to support now or a club for generations to cherish and admire down the line, because trust me this could be out only way forward.

Tottenham has the same plans with their new stadium which includes appartments, hotel and a shopping center. It doesen't mean that they have to share it with Arsenal, which they obviousley wont.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #78: Nov 27, 2009 10:41:36 am

All for money eh. Seriously if Liverpool can't survive on its own, what has our club come too? You know what? I would lose heart in the game if this happened. Oh yeah we would be all good and dandy, money everywhere in our brand new stadium. But where the fucks the heart? We have grown up for over 100 god damned years in our own FORTRESS ANFIELD! Our stadium, where people knew they were coming to play Liverpool FC, the mightiest team in the land. Yeah, we have had our stumbles but Anfield has always struck fear. Now yeah when we move we have to try and reignite that flame in our new stadium. But that won't be hard as long as it is ours, because then people will know it as LIVERPOOL FC. But if a team is coming to play us and it is some F***ing purple seated share ground, it just won't quite have the same aura. They won't associate it fully with us, no matter how loud the fans in the stadium. It's a mentality thing for all visiting teams. And if we are sharing, that will change. F**k, can you even imagine walking down to the stadium, maybe taking a photo - and there is some bitter standing next to you doing the same thing? F**k off.
      It's about heart, people. I know in this day and age money talks, a lot. And im reluctantly happy to even sell off naming rights to the stadium if we get a HUGE sum for it. Shirts have long now been a sponsors domain. Everything about the club is money, money, money. BUT! The one thing we have is OUR ground. Our church to go and pray and see our hero's play, a place for US. Even for us who have never been, our stadium brings chills down our bones when we see it on TV in all its red glory. I will never have anything remotely like that if we are in some F***ing share ground.

I know what you are trying to say Alastair, but what my point is, is trying to keep one sacred thing left. If we can't hold on to having our own stadium, then where is the Liverpool FC heart gone?
      Alastair
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,414 posts |
      • Biggidy Biggidy Boom!
      Reply #79: Nov 27, 2009 11:01:00 am
      Tottenham has the same plans with their new stadium which includes appartments, hotel and a shopping center. It doesen't mean that they have to share it with Arsenal, which they obviousley wont.

One key difference, in case you hadn't noticed. Tottenham have monety, now ask yourself do we?

I know what you are trying to say Alastair, but what my point is, is trying to keep one sacred thing left. If we can't hold on to having our own stadium, then where is the Liverpool FC heart gone?

Dont get me wrong bigv, my heart says no everytime, but this is for the future of our club. There was a time when Anfield and even Goodison Park were 2nd and 3rd choice Stadia for Internationals but now neither meet Fifa Criteria for the World Cup. Can you imagine a World Cup in England with no games in Liverpool (given it historical domination in the past!) and games going to Bramall Lane and the Stadium of Light. Thats ridiculous!
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #80: Nov 27, 2009 11:04:48 am
      One key difference, in case you hadn't noticed. Tottenham have monety, now ask yourself do we?

Dont get me wrong bigv, my heart says no everytime, but this is for the future of our club. There was a time when Anfield and even Goodison Park were 2nd and 3rd choice Stadia for Internationals but now neither meet Fifa Criteria for the World Cup. Can you imagine a World Cup in England with no games in Liverpool (given it historical domination in the past!) and games going to Bramall Lane and the Stadium of Light. Thats ridiculous!

I know what you mean mate, but i just hate the idea. First off, internationals don't mean sh*te to me compared to Liverpool. If i was offered the world cup final in my own back yard for Liverpool to share, id still say no. That's how passionate i am, and i am sick of sport being dictated by money. There has to be a way we can have our own stadium. If Arsenal can do it, we can too. We just have to find it. If we go into ground share, then i don't know how we can call ourselves a big club anymore.
      Glenbuck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,893 posts | 205 
      Reply #81: Nov 27, 2009 11:10:11 am

Whilst respecting your opinion I find it a bit rich for you to suggest only those posters who agree with you have any business acumen, and whilst the ‘Tesco Anfieloodison stadium’ may be the way forward for Everton it certainly isn’t for us.

I agree with you that we need a major investor to finance any new ground I just think Christian Purslow has set his sights a little higher than a retail outfit; however I would obviously never rule that particular financier out as who knows what path we may have to take in order to fund the ground.

Everything you say about a new ground is fairly accurate (in my opinion) I just don’t get why you feel we need EFC on board to achieve these goals, are we not a big enough ‘franchise’ on our own? EFC had plans no matter how idiotic to build a supermarket come stadium in Kirby these plans as we all know have been rejected after the peasants revolted and kicked up a fuss about having such sh*t on their doorstep.

At what point did EFC consult with us and suggest a ground share in Kirby? Did they think they needed another team to help them fulfil their plans? No they bloody didn’t and the fact they have now turned up on our doorstep looking for a free ride again speaks volumes about just how we could never work together in a halfie, halfie ground!

Can you imagine the day to day running of the stadium as queues build up round one end of the ground to visit the trophy room and museum  whilst at the the bl..blu……bl..Other end you would only find dog walkers, shoppers and tourists who are lost and are trying to find their way to our end?

Liverpool play a home game and would come close to if not actually filling a large ground, 45,000 current sell outs and a season ticket list so big my 19 year old has applied for an O.A.P.’s ticket!
      Everton play a game and you get a much more alarming picture, 40,000 seats filled out of 80,000 (and that’s being generous) less if it’s a Sunday game and the Eastenders omnibus is on! And their season ticket list is, well non existent really as you can still buy them at Christmas and also Easter for that matter, my point is we just aren’t equals and for it to work we need to be.

80,000 seats does sound good as long as it is just used for football as I think any other uses would just be detrimental to the playing surface, Liverpool home Saturday in the league, Liverpool home Tuesday in the Champions league (not for long!) then we would have EFC home Wednesday/Thursday for the Johnston’s paint trophy or that piddling European competition (what do you mean the one we are in?) and then EFC home Saturday/Sunday before the whole merry go round begins again. Granted EFC do play the ball through the air a lot so this would save on the pitch’s wear and tear but not enough to have a pristine playing surface.

No we still have the ability to have our own stadium without having to rely on EFC to help make it happen, we can finance this deal on our own EFC cannot, it may be done through an investor, bank or by some other means but I still have faith it can be achieved, but sharing with EFC? We need a partner that is on an equal footing and quoting the San Siro and AC/Inter is not the same as LFC/EFC, now if it had been mentioned twenty years ago that would have been a different matter.  

I would still have said no though. ;D
      Alastair
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,414 posts |
      • Biggidy Biggidy Boom!
      Reply #82: Nov 27, 2009 11:18:00 am
      I know what you mean mate, but I just hate the idea. First off, internationals don't mean sh*te to me compared to Liverpool. If I was offered the world cup final in my own back yard for Liverpool to share, id still say no. That's how passionate I am, and I am sick of sport being dictated by money. There has to be a way we can have our own stadium. If Arsenal can do it, we can too. We just have to find it. If we go into ground share, then I don't know how we can call ourselves a big club anymore.

Agreed, my concern now though is that given Evertons planning permission was rejected based on taking retail out of Liverpool. The stadium in Stanley Park would not have any shops near it or anything, this means we would have to stump up the cash big time.

Arsenal took out 260m in loans and bonds (something we cant do) and had 100m from Emirates to name the stadium. Plus money to buy highbury and convert into 3000 properties. The point is Arsenals debt now stands at ÂŁ262m which essentially is the stadium, which will generate income to service the debt.

We have massive debt and no new stadium (which has become neccessary). It is usual for these new stadiums to feature alongside big retail parks (partners), Cardiffs new stadium has a massive Asda next to it and loads of other out of town shops as does the Liberty Stadium, which is next to a Morrisons. Liverpool in Stanley Park would have none of this support and this is perhaps the reason why we are still at Anfield Road.
      Volle
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 770 posts |
      • Champions 2019/20
      Reply #83: Nov 27, 2009 11:20:31 am

I have noticed but good point, so then i suggest we stay at Anfield as long as there's no quids, World Cup or not World Cup. Purslow stated that funds for a new stadium is not far away. So then we'll wait and see what "far  away" means... As long as we don't have to share with everton, i'm willing to wait no matter how long. Sooner or later we'll have the money i'm sure
      Alastair
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,414 posts |
      • Biggidy Biggidy Boom!
      Reply #84: Nov 27, 2009 11:25:57 am

80,000 seats does sound good as long as it is just used for football as I think any other uses would just be detrimental to the playing surface, Liverpool home Saturday in the league, Liverpool home Tuesday in the Champions league (not for long!) then we would have EFC home Wednesday/Thursday for the Johnston’s paint trophy or that piddling European competition (what do you mean the one we are in?) and then EFC home Saturday/Sunday before the whole merry go round begins again. Granted EFC do play the ball through the air a lot so this would save on the pitch’s wear and tear but not enough to have a pristine playing surface.

No we still have the ability to have our own stadium without having to rely on EFC to help make it happen, we can finance this deal on our own EFC cannot, it may be done through an investor, bank or by some other means but I still have faith it can be achieved, but sharing with EFC? We need a partner that is on an equal footing and quoting the San Siro and AC/Inter is not the same as LFC/EFC, now if it had been mentioned twenty years ago that would have been a different matter. 

I would still have said no though. ;D

Like i mentioned I agree if following my passion for Liverpool Football Club.

I think your concerns over the pitch are nothing to worry about, the two stadiums in Wales I have mentioned get used for all sorts of things and the pitch is pristine whenever I go there, Old Toilet is another example of well managed Groundsmanship (is that a word?).

Also agree that in the late 80s this would have worked, and would probably have put us in a better position than we are now. I am hoping we can acheive a big financial partner but given the state of the affairs on the pitch this is hard to acheive, you can talk about histoery, etc, but the fact is a lot of football fans around the world (not loyal kopites like here) are extremely fickle (just look at the numbers who jumped on board when Chelsea started winning) and tend to follow and therefore pump money into the already successful clubs (this explains the financial success of the Mancs). Its all just a vicious circle which can catch us out.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #85: Nov 27, 2009 12:59:55 pm

A couple of quick points:

How are the blueshite gonna sell-out an 80,000 stadium, they can't even sell-out Goodison. If it was built it's going to be 60,000.

No mention of the fact, Inter are looking now to build their own stadium, no mention of the fact the pitch has to be relayed about 3/4 times a year.

No mention of the fact, why Liverpool must be the only city in Britain were two Premiership teams must share a stadium?

Man U and Man City would never share a stadium, neither would Arsenal and Tottenham, so why Liverpool and Everton.

Who's going to fund this little venture, Liverpool City Council, unlikely without the help of the NWDA. Everton have twice seen stadium proposals crash, they couldn't afford to join with Liverpool City Council and build a stadium were the arena is now and now that their Kirkby idea has crashed and burned, Robert Elstone and chums have decided to change the media agenda by throwing the share idea back up, but if you listen to his comment yesterday, thats on the provision that WE pay for the f**ker.

Personally don't give a F**k about what's going on in South Wales and if I was being really honest now, I'd F**k the idea of a new stadium on Stanley Park off and redevloping the Main Stand and Anfield Road end, seeing as we own all the properties behind both stands, which would probably reach a capacity of 60,000, which is what our new ground (whenever work starts) has been reduced to.     
      Alastair
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,414 posts |
      • Biggidy Biggidy Boom!
      Reply #86: Nov 27, 2009 01:08:40 pm
      A couple of quick points:

How are the blueshite gonna sell-out an 80,000 stadium, they can't even sell-out Goodison. If it was built it's going to be 60,000.

No mention of the fact, Inter are looking now to build their own stadium, no mention of the fact the pitch has to be relayed about 3/4 times a year.

No mention of the fact, why Liverpool must be the only city in Britain were two Premiership teams must share a stadium?

Man U and Man City would never share a stadium, neither would Arsenal and Tottenham, so why Liverpool and Everton.

Who's going to fund this little venture, Liverpool City Council, unlikely without the help of the NWDA. Everton have twice seen stadium proposals crash, they couldn't afford to join with Liverpool City Council and build a stadium were the arena is now and now that their Kirkby idea has crashed and burned, Robert Elstone and chums have decided to change the media agenda by throwing the share idea back up, but if you listen to his comment yesterday, thats on the provision that WE pay for the f**ker.

Personally don't give a f**k about what's going on in South Wales and if I was being really honest now, I'd f**k the idea of a new stadium on Stanley Park off and redevloping the Main Stand and Anfield Road end, seeing as we own all the properties behind both stands, which would probably reach a capacity of 60,000, which is what our new ground (whenever work starts) has been reduced to.     

If you calm down HR and look back through the posts I suggested that Chelsea and Fulham do the same.

I hope you're not insulting South Wales there neither or are you tarring me with the OOT attitude?

As for building on Anfield as it is, I think this would be the way forward but the argument is that the cost to rebuild is the same as building a new stadium, this is the same predicament Portsmouth have at Fratton Park.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #87: Nov 27, 2009 01:45:34 pm
      If you calm down HR and look back through the posts I suggested that Chelsea and Fulham do the same.

I hope you're not insulting South Wales there neither or are you tarring me with the OOT attitude?

As for building on Anfield as it is, I think this would be the way forward but the argument is that the cost to rebuild is the same as building a new stadium, this is the same predicament Portsmouth have at Fratton Park.

Slow down there i'm calm.

Why would Fulham and Chelsea share? Like Roman's gonna invite Fulham to share, don't think so!

I don't see what Cardiff Rugby teams do has to do with Football teams.

Think about the money that is made from visitors around the world that want to visit Anfield, think about why Old Trafford is intimidating and the Emirates isn't.

look at the Anfield Road, that sh*t upper tier bit could not be built any bigger at the time because of the properties behind the stand, they are no longer there.

Thinking about it more and more, just imagine all those amazing nights we've had at Anfield, why should we lose that for some stadium thats going to llok exactly like Arsenal's and Tottenham's.
      Alastair
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,414 posts |
      • Biggidy Biggidy Boom!
      Reply #88: Nov 27, 2009 02:03:24 pm
      Slow down there I'm calm.

Why would Fulham and Chelsea share? Like Roman's gonna invite Fulham to share, don't think so!

I don't see what Cardiff Rugby teams do has to do with Football teams.

Think about the money that is made from visitors around the world that want to visit Anfield, think about why Old Trafford is intimidating and the Emirates isn't.

look at the Anfield Road, that sh*t upper tier bit could not be built any bigger at the time because of the properties behind the stand, they are no longer there.

Thinking about it more and more, just imagine all those amazing nights we've had at Anfield, why should we lose that for some stadium thats going to llok exactly like Arsenal's and Tottenham's.

I imagine Fulham And Chelsea due to their proximity to each other could sell their grounds (for a lot of money i might add) and move to a new commerical venue which would generate large income and cater to both clubs needs.

I agree about the Emirates being so quite, something to do with ÂŁ90 a ticket i presume, but then thats London.

With ref to Cardiff Rugby Teams, all Im saying is ground shares work, as long as the pitch is looked after it doesnt matter what happens, rugby is played at a number of the top premier league grounds, concerts are held there too. Im just stating the fact that everyone thinks the pitch wont hold out, Wembly was ruined due to the numpties running the place.

With regards to our current ground I agree, I think that expanding on what we have would be a great idea. The walk down Walton Breck just gets me on edge everytime i walk down it.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #89: Nov 27, 2009 02:24:10 pm
      No f***in way, Never never never never never, They might consider now that their Kirby plans have went tits up, But F**k that no way would LFC share a ground with a small club, If the Bitters want to ground share why don't they ask Marine.  :f_tongueincheek:
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #90: Nov 27, 2009 03:29:38 pm
      Merseyside stadium share would be a sad day for English football
      Tony Barrett

At 8pm on Wednesday night a ground share was not on the agenda for anyone on Merseyside. By 8am the following morning - it was the only talking point in town.

How did that happen? It’s not as if Anfield and Goodison had been razed to the ground by fans angry at the way their teams are letting them down.

The only thing that changed the agenda was someone at Everton had “indicated” to someone at Sky Sports News that they would now be willing to consider moving into a stadium with Liverpool.

Why ever would anyone have done that? Could it be, and forgive by cynicism, that the Everton hierarchy knew they were in for an absolute and richly deserved kicking for their second failed stadium project in less than a decade and decided to pull a flanker?

On the day the city of Liverpool’s World Cup bid was sent to London – possibly the most embarrassing thing to travel on a train between the two cities since Jimmy Tarbuck was drawn to the capital by the bright lights of the Palladium – how better to divert attention from your own failings than to let it be known to the media that there could be a radical solution to the ongoing problems of both clubs and the city itself, one which is absolutely guaranteed to steal headlines?

The day after Everton’s latest stadium dreams went belly up should have been a day for recriminations. It should have been the day when Bill Kenwright, the Everton owner and chairman, had to answer searching questions about the future of his club having said on so many previous occasions that only a move to a hideous soulless bowl built outside the boundaries of a city which they should never even have considered leaving would give them any hope of recapturing past glories.

It should have been a day when searching questions were asked about what this setback means to "The Chosen One", who has performed near miracles in defying the kind of lack of finance which would have crippled lesser managers to produce the only team in the Premier League which regularly out performs its wage bill, but who is now faced with the realisation that there is no immediate prospect of Everton having the kind of stadium which would produce revenue in keeping with his ambition.

It should have been a day when Everton’s board had to answer searching questions about why it sanctioned the spending of millions of pounds pressing ahead with proposals that appeared to be clearly in contravention of planning policy, as consistently argued by the Keep Everton In Our City campaign group which did such magnificent work on behalf of the tens of thousands of fans who were quite rightly opposed to the idea of Everton quitting the city in which they belong.

But we got none of this. Instead, someone says the magic words “ground share” and hey presto, the media dances to a different tune and the Everton hierarchy is off the hook.

Now, had the renewed possibility of a shared stadium been discussed with anyone at Liverpool or the city council before Sky were briefed about it and before Robert Elstone, the Everton chief executive, gave an interview about it on the platform of Lime Street Station, the latest talk of two of sports biggest rivals moving in together would have much more credibility.

Not that it deserves any, though. Liverpool and Everton Football Clubs deserve stadia of their own. They deserve it to enrich their separate identities. They deserve it for their sense of individuality. They deserve it for their size and stature in the game. And, most of all they deserve it for their fans.

Both clubs have consistently tried and failed to build much needed new stadia over the last ten years but this does not equate to a justification for ground sharing. Rather, it is a condemnation of a chronic lack of leadership and vision in the boardrooms of Everton and Liverpool and at a city council which has floundered around while others, for example Manchester with the City of Manchester Stadium, have delivered. Not being able to build a ground in one of the world’s most football mad cities is only one step away from being unable to organise a piss up in a brewery.

It is this which rankles most when fans of both clubs are told, usually by people who have never in their lives paid to sit, never mind stand, in either the Gwladys Street or the Kop, that a ground share is the only thing that can save their clubs. What they really should be asking is when will these great clubs and this great city be given the leadership they need to come up with a plan and the accompanying finance to build stadiums of their own?

It is well known that Liverpool’s supporters are being let down by their owners. There is no longer even any debate about the fact, for that is exactly what it is, that the ongoing reign of Tom Hicks and George Gillett has been an absolute disaster for the club, on and off the pitch. But they were also let down in the past and you would have to go back to the days of John Smith and Peter Robinson to find the last time when Liverpool were led with the kind of vision that facilitates regular success and genuine stability.

And yet their fans are consistently told that a shared stadium with their biggest rivals which will be the panacea to all their ills. If only the wider football world were as concerned with the imposters in the Anfield boardroom as they are with their zealous desire to see Liverpool and Everton subjected to the kind of experiment which no other leading clubs in the country are ever asked to perform.

If Liverpool and Everton ever bought in to the shared stadium dream of others they would put the full stop on an entire generation which has been characterised by a lack of ambition and foresight. The message that they would send out would be that while both Manchester clubs, Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham, Aston Villa, Birmingham City, Newcastle United, Sunderland, Celtic and Rangers can have their own stadia, the Merseyside clubs can’t.

The argument that keeps getting shoved down the throats of fans on Merseyside is that if it’s good enough for the people of Milan then it is good enough for them. Besides the fact that anyone who has ever been to the San Siro will have been confronted by a pitch as patchy as Gavin McCann’s head, the more important thing to bear in mind is that Inter Milan are now working towards moving out and building a ground of their own. Why? Simply because the shared arrangements at the San Siro do not allow them to maximise their commercial revenue from corporate facilities.

Juventus have already given up on sharing with Torino and are in the process of building a new stadium of their own on the sight of the much maligned Stadio Delli Alpi. Torino, meanwhile, have already moved permanently to the Stadio Olimpico.

If the great municipal shared stadium experiment that began in Italy around the time of the World Cup in 1990 is being held up as an example it should be to warn clubs not to follow their lead.

This is without even getting into the fact that Everton and Liverpool currently have totally different needs. That’s a debate that should be left for another day, one which will hopefully never come when those who preach that sharing is the only way two of Europe’s greatest clubs can survive are holding away.

Sacrificing heritage, individuality and identity at the altar of finance should not even be an option. Liverpool and Everton are unique sporting institutions and they deserve to be treated as such, not shunted together without any consideration for their past.

It is men with vision that both sets of supporters need and deserve, not a stadium which neither of them could claim as their own. If that day ever comes then it would be one of the saddest days in the history of football in England and on Merseyside in particular.

http://timesonline.typepad.com/thegame/2009/11/merseyside-stadium-share-would-be-a-sad-day-for-english-football-.html
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #91: Nov 27, 2009 04:32:49 pm
      Christian says no  ;D

LIVERPOOL ‘NO’ TO GROUND SHARE WITH EVERTON
      By Paul Joyce Friday November 27,2009

LIVERPOOL have slammed the door shut on the idea of ever sharing a ground with neighbours Everton and remain committed to building their own stadium.

Everton chief executive Robert Elstone had raised the notion of the two Merseyside teams, who meet in the 212th league derby on Sunday, clubbing together to fund a new shared ground after their plans to move from Goodison Park were rejected by the Government following a public inquiry.

“A shared stadium is an option perhaps if it’s affordable,” said Elstone. “Where we can raise money, potentially Liverpool will have to contribute to that.

“Liverpool City Council perhaps might need to find some money. Our history is one of creation and innovation and, if we’re the first major English club to look at sharing , we’re not scared of those decisions.”

But Liverpool have no interest in bringing the idea – first mooted by former Anfield chief executive Peter Robinson in the Sixties – back to the agenda and will continue to work on plans to build what would initially be a 60,000-seat stadium in Stanley Park. Liverpool managing director Christian Purslow is understood to have reiterated that to Everton counterpart Elstone yesterday, when they were both at Wembley in connection with the council’s bid to be a host city at the 2018 World Cup.

Planning permission has been granted for Liverpool’s blueprint, which has already cost £18million for feasibility studies and improvements to the local area. Work ground to another frustrating halt in September 2008 owing to the global credit crisis.

Purslow is in the process of trying to raise ÂŁ100m for a 25 per cent stake in Liverpool which would dilute the shareholdings of George Gillett and Tom Hicks, drive down the debt and allow work to belatedly begin on the scheme again.

Everton will instead now have to consult with Liverpool City Council over whether a new site can be found for them, or redevelop Goodison.

But club legend Joe Royle is convinced building a new stadium to share is the best way forward for both clubs.

He said: “I’ve always said it makes common sense. I have always been a fan and I think it is a great opportunity.

“The fans are split on it and both clubs are very wary of fan opinion.

“Neither would want to be the first to say we are ‘desperate’ to do it. But now we are in a situation where both clubs are probably needing each other to make it work financially.”

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/142739/Liverpool-no-to-ground-share-with-Everton

Quick Reply