Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

UEFA Mandatory quota now a problem for LFC

Read 2551 times
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      UEFA Mandatory quota now a problem for LFC
      Jul 14, 2008 08:38:40 am
      http://LINK

Uefa rule the reason for domestic desire?
      Written by Matt Ladson on July 14th, 2008

With the departures of Peter Crouch, Harry Kewell and Danny Guthrie - along with the potential sales of Steve Finnan and Jermaine Pennant - Rafa Benitez is left with a problem when it comes to registering players for next season’s Champions League.

Uefa implemented a ruling in 2006 regarding locally trained players that required clubs to register 2 club trained and 2 domestic association trained players each squad, that was increased to 3 of each last season and this season it becomes four players - meaning Liverpool will only be able to register 17 international players.

Last season Benitez registered young defender Stephen Darby, along with Gerrard and Carragher as the three club trained players. The domestic association trained players (eg. can be trained at another club from within England) were Harry Kewell, Steve Finnan, Jermain Pennant, David Martin and Peter Crouch. Two of those (Crouch and Kewell) have already left, and another two are likely to leave (Finnan and Pennant). Leaving Liverpool three players short of their four domestic trained players and one short of club trained players.

To qualify, a player must have trained at the club for three years between the age of 15 and 21, regardless of nationality. Therefore, the likes of Lucas, Babel, Insua are not eligible to fill the quota but will be in the future. For now though, Benitez is left with somewhat of a headache.

Not that it is only Liverpool with the problem, Chelsea have just John Terry as club trained, and only registered 23 players last season, while Arsenal only registered 24 players.

This problem could explain why Benitez’s top targets this summer have emerged as Gareth Barry and Robbie Keane - both players would be classed as domestically trained - leaving Liverpool just one short of their four for that part of the quota. That could also explain the links with Stewart Downing, James Milner et al. It would also go someway to explaining why buying domestic players is proving so expensive too.

Furthermore, it may explain why Liverpool are signing a large amount of 17 year olds, who will qualify as club trained by being at the club for three years before the age of 21. Once the likes of Dani Pacheco, Kristzian Nemeth, Damien Plessis, Insua, Lucas, Babel become eligible to qualify as club trained, Liverpool’s situation will be much stronger.

The full rulings regaring ‘locally trained players’ can be found in this PDF from Uefa (article 17).
      ________________________ ________________________ ________________________ ___________________

This will definitely influence our choice of players in the transfer market.

The buying of Gareth Barry is also turning out to be a double edged sword too as we also let go of Finnan. The owners will have to walk worthy of their calling. We're losing too many leverage players in order to raise funds.

Dont see how we will avoid shopping for the likes of James Milner and Stewart Downing.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Re: UEFA Mandatory quota now a problem for LFC
      Reply #1: Jul 14, 2008 09:05:26 am
       I think RAFA will have all the bases covered for Europe,Also I wonder how long the top clubs in Europe will  allow Platini to get away with his agenda of trying to get control of the big clubs.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #2: Jul 14, 2008 12:05:20 pm
      How petty. What a load of rubbish.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #3: Jul 14, 2008 12:08:36 pm
      Its bad for us, but Inter are really screwed, Mattaratzi's the only italian of any note in their squad :lmao: Besides we can use the domestic players as backup, Hobbs, and maybe Martin may have to be named as sub keeper?
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #4: Jul 14, 2008 12:37:09 pm
      It's really simple.

Keep Pennant, keep Finnan.  Problem solved.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #5: Jul 14, 2008 12:42:46 pm
      F***ing bullshit. Bias quota nonsense.
      RedWilly

• 9,213 posts | 1646 
      Reply #6: Jul 14, 2008 12:44:26 pm
      With the way that UEFA are goin, trying to change everything, it's only a matter of time before the big clubs just stick two fingers up to them and go make there own superleague, or something like that anyway!
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #7: Jul 14, 2008 12:57:34 pm
      With the way that UEFA are goin, trying to change everything, it's only a matter of time before the big clubs just stick two fingers up to them and go make there own superleague, or something like that anyway!
      Now thats a good idea to piss off them prats at UEFA.
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #8: Jul 14, 2008 01:21:41 pm
      Now thats a good idea to piss off them prats at UEFA.

My mate has been saying for years that within 10 years there will be a superleauge and i think he looks to be spot on
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #9: Jul 14, 2008 01:32:09 pm
      Might be a combined Scottish/English league? More money in it for the Scottish teams which will no doubt lure them ie. Celtic, Rangers etc.
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #10: Jul 14, 2008 01:51:41 pm
      Might be a combined Scottish/English league? More money in it for the Scottish teams which will no doubt lure them ie. Celtic, Rangers etc.

I think you really mean add celtic and rangers to the english league
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #11: Jul 14, 2008 02:03:02 pm
      i think i'am the only person to support platini in this- i feel that it is important to have home grown players and players that have beenat the club for a long period of time- in saying that, we will struggle to find enough players for it
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #12: Jul 14, 2008 02:15:29 pm
      I think you really mean add celtic and rangers to the english league

Did i not intend that?
      solodee
      • Started Topic

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      Reply #13: Jul 14, 2008 03:09:51 pm

UEFA can only push the button for so long before the Big Clubs give them the middle finger! I really agree with that notion.

Right now, Rafa Benitez has an uphill task to be able to register players and qualify to partake in the UEFA Champions League. I gues that means we wont bew too picky when it concerns Barry, Keane, Downing, & Milner; looks like we need them.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #14: Jul 14, 2008 03:19:10 pm
      UEFA can only push the button for so long before the Big Clubs give them the middle finger! I really agree with that notion.

Right now, Rafa Benitez has an uphill task to be able to register players and qualify to partake in the UEFA Champions League. I gues that means we wont bew too picky when it concerns Barry, Keane, Downing, & Milner; looks like we need them.

Barry and Milner for me.

A) Milner is the cheapest and Barry is the best signing out of them IMO.

B) If I were manager, I would keep the system so therefore Keane isnt needed.

AND/OR

C) Keep Jermaine.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #15: Jul 14, 2008 03:41:52 pm
      Sould just keep pennant and finnan and register a few of the youngsters that some people said e.g. martin, hobbs
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,131 posts | 3377 
      Reply #16: Jul 14, 2008 03:51:49 pm
      Isn't the rule whereby you can include lads from abroad as long as they've been at the club for three years before the age of 20...for example Fabregas counts as a homegrown player for Arsenal. Any of our talented youngsters been here that long?

If not then it's Gerrard and Carra as given. Martin was sub keeper for most of last season so would be the simple choice. Spearing has rave reviews in the reserves so again would be a simple choice. Darby was picked last year so would make sense to pick him again. Hobbs as cover at the back. I think Barry will become one of the required and then it's take your pick out of a new signing or Threllfall/Lindfield/Hammill/Flynn. I don't think we should be whinging about having to select 8 local lads. It's the same for all clubs, they HAVE to pick 8 players as well, so god help Arsenal. We can still pick 17 international based players, that's near enough the entire squad for a european game. Doesn't really bother me but if you're tryin to say that picking 8 British based players out of 25 players is a struggle for Liverpool Football Club then something is seriously wrong with this club.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #17: Jul 14, 2008 05:28:22 pm
      International players

Pepe, Diego, Degen, Arboloa, Sami, Agger, Skrtel, Donessa, Aurelio, Yossi, Babel, Kuyt, Javi, Lucas, Alonso, Torres, Voronin

It isn't so much that we can't fill in the homegrown slots with players, just that if we want to get new players they will have to be homegrown or we might have to sell someone to get another player.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,682 posts | 6976 
      Reply #18: Jul 14, 2008 06:33:23 pm
      To be completely honest.  I really couldn't give a rats ass about this for next season.

It's the Premiership title that is our top target.
      solodee
      • Started Topic

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      Reply #19: Jul 14, 2008 09:50:20 pm
      To be completely honest.  I really couldn't give a rats ass about this for next season.

It's the Premiership title that is our top target.

Cant imagine the Champions League without LFC in the finals JD.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,682 posts | 6976 
      Reply #20: Jul 14, 2008 09:51:28 pm
      Cant imagine the Champions League without LFC in the finals JD.

I'm not saying it isn't important. Of course it is.

However come March I want Anfield to not need for it to be a European game to be rocking.
      solodee
      • Started Topic

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      Reply #21: Jul 14, 2008 10:46:43 pm
      I'm not saying it isn't important. Of course it is.

However come March I want Anfield to not need for it to be a European game to be rocking.

Good point JD.

The Premiership cup can come to Anfield next season; Hell! A triple will be amazing.

Quick Reply