Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

The Olympics 2012

Read 47229 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      The Olympics 2012
      Aug 24, 2008 02:33:31 pm
      After the amazing Chinese display.

God help us.
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Re: The Olympics 2012
      Reply #1: Aug 24, 2008 03:05:01 pm
      I thought Leona Lewis and Jimmy Page were fantastic. (whole lot of love classic).
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #2: Aug 24, 2008 03:17:56 pm
      The thing is JD , no other country in the world can compete with the Chinese, i heard that we are putting on a rock concert the biggest ever apparently, so you never know? rather listen to music and watch fireworks anyway.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #3: Aug 24, 2008 04:13:46 pm
      To be honest, I could not care less, I am sure it will be fine, and if not it will not affect me. I feel this will be a cash cow, and with the "Credit Crunch" I think it could not have come at a worse time for the country. Best of Luck London, you'll need it. I will be off on holiday thats for sure.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,004 posts | 3351 
      Reply #4: Aug 24, 2008 04:45:30 pm
      Can't wait for the Games to reach these shores. Hopefully it'll go without a hitch. Countdown has already started.
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #5: Aug 24, 2008 05:01:35 pm

God help us.

Exactly my thoughts when i watched the Opening Ceremony !!  :D
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #6: Aug 24, 2008 11:57:27 pm

God help us.

:lmao:

Love it. And we thought taxes were high now as well....

Good to see a standard being set that will have to be matched in London though. Will make interesting viewing.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,004 posts | 3351 
      Reply #7: Aug 25, 2008 12:08:46 am
      If I've heard right (which isn't always the case) Weymouth will be hosting the sailing, Liverpool will be holding the swimming and the football is in Scotland (Hampden Park I think) So it's hardly London 2012.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Reply #8: Aug 25, 2008 01:24:49 am
      Bollocks it is.

It was sold to us as good for Britain but with each passing day it's all about London.

It won't be as good as the Beijing Olympics I can guarantee it.
      graham135uk
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 797 posts | 27 
      • “Liverpool are magic. Everton are tragic.”
      Reply #9: Aug 25, 2008 08:17:01 am
      Sorry JD you are wrong, its not all about London, Its about The GB team who come from all over Great Britain, and they have to work very hard just to get upto Olympic standard, the hours they have to put in with little or no pay, just to forfill there dream to be part of the GB team in the Olympics.

No one will ever match the Beijing Olympics, that is because China put approx £28 billion into there games.
      China are very rich, they have money coming out of there ears, BUT just look at there way of live, most of there people work for a bowl of rice, if they dare to say anything wrong, there gone, maybe killed, they cant have more than 1 child, if they have a 2nd child they have to kill it, or hide it, not a very good way to live.
      Give me Britain any day.

The opening and closing Ceremony where the best I have ever seen, only just piping Sidney 2000 games, I thourt they where great. Sidney spent about £6 billion on there games, and they did a great job.

There is one thing us Brits are very good at, we can put on a great show, we are very good at it, and I'm sure 2012 will be one of the greats, just think of all the schools kids all over GB taking part in the opening cememomy in 2012, God the kids and there partents are going to be made up to be apart of it.
      We might not have the money to spend like Beijing, but we will do a great job, that I'm sure.

If I've heard right (which isn't always the case) Weymouth will be hosting the sailing, Liverpool will be holding the swimming and the football is in Scotland (Hampden Park I think) So it's hardly London 2012.

Not sure what you are saying, was all the Beijing Olympics held in Beijing, NO, some of it was upto 500 miles away, and we will do the same.
      I know the sailing will be at Weymouth, I'm sure the football will be around the grounds in the south, and the finals being at wembley, don't know where the swimming will be.

I will end by saying the GB team did us proud over in Beijing, and its nice to see the lotto funding is paying of.

A big THANK YOU, because I have been glued to the telly watching and cheering you on, WELL DONE.  :clap: :ernaehrung004:

ROLL ON 2012. I will be there in London watching you.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #10: Aug 26, 2008 12:32:51 am
      Brilliant Olympics, the highlight for me has to be the 100m final, that was the most impressive thing ive ever seen a human do.

Thats untill he does better in 2012 ovcourse. Im interested in the stadium for the 2012 olympics, and info on it yet?
      « Last Edit: Aug 26, 2008 12:48:56 am by Magillionare »
      Bahrosa-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,549 posts |
      • It's Not A Badge... It's A Family Crest
      Reply #11: Aug 30, 2008 05:41:18 am
      So they are going to build a new stadium for it then. I don't believe that they would hold the swimming somewhere other than London. It's one of the main sports in the olympics.
      TKIDLLTK
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #12: Jul 27, 2011 11:38:21 am
      One year to go, £10bn down the drain.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,001 posts | 3952 
      Reply #13: Jul 27, 2011 11:50:21 am
      It's an expensive F***ing farce, no one gives a sh*t and the promotional bullshit in the media is well under way in a bid to raise awareness (read money) and it's 12 months away yet.
      Because it's darn sarf we are supposed to rush lemming like and submit a ridiculous amount of wedge for F**k knows what, they even appoint a Lord whatever as head honcho because he used to do a bit of running and that is supposed to impress the F**k out of us.
      Well thanks but no thanks stick it where the sun don't shine.  
      « Last Edit: Jul 27, 2011 06:19:43 pm by stuey »
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #14: Jul 27, 2011 01:20:36 pm
      To host the Olympics can be massive for less developed countries but there was never much point in bringing it here, to my mind. It was always going to cost some insane figure to set up and it will probably be the most expensive games ever held, the revenue gained will not go anywhere near to paying off the outlay and tourism won't increase after the games as a result of hosting them.
      It isn't for the people, it's for those who can afford and then essentially 'win' tickets and for the corporate masses.
      No matter how smoothly these games go, they will always be a farce due to the money spent in the first place.
      I just hope that there are no major incidents as a result of our international sabre rattling.
      Firepool
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,274 posts | 224 
      • @Jenns_Design
      Reply #15: Jul 27, 2011 03:34:29 pm
      I can't wait for the Olympics. I hope to get the money together to be there. It will be great and entertaining.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #16: Jul 27, 2011 07:35:05 pm
      I look forward to the London Olympics but if this cheesy sham that's on BBC 1 at the moment (watching what can only be described as utter sh*te happen in the aquatics centre and some corny stage show in Trafalgar Square) is anything to go by then f**k it!
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,475 posts | 4821 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #17: Jul 27, 2011 09:18:11 pm
      It's an expensive f**king farce, no one gives a sh*t

Heard a report today saying that a lot of the locals aren't really that arsed about it.

Got to put that into perspective though.

After me being in East London last week it makes me raise the question: If I lived in a city somewhere in the Middle East and that city was staging The Olympics, I wouldn't be too arsed.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,001 posts | 3952 
      Reply #18: Jul 27, 2011 11:26:18 pm
      Heard a report today saying that a lot of the locals aren't really that arsed about it.

Got to put that into perspective though.

After me being in East London last week it makes me raise the question: If I lived in a city somewhere in the Middle East and that city was staging The Olympics, I wouldn't be too arsed.
      It's all hype mate the majority are totally disinterested.
      Dave70
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,536 posts | 76 
      Reply #19: Jul 28, 2011 12:02:25 am
      It's an expensive F***ing farce, no one gives a sh*t and the promotional bullshit in the media is well under way in a bid to raise awareness (read money) and it's 12 months away yet.
      Because it's darn sarf we are supposed to rush lemming like and submit a ridiculous amount of wedge for F**k knows what, they even appoint a Lord whatever as head honcho because he used to do a bit of running and that is supposed to impress the F**k out of us.
      Well thanks but no thanks stick it where the sun don't shine.  
      Couldn't have said it better myself mate.

Just heard that the BBC had two F***ing hundred members of staff there, at that whatever it was nonsense going on today. Yet ITV managed to cover it with 22 members of staff and sky with 11 members of staff. Well at least I can see what great value for money my TV licence really is. Wonder how many staff they'll need to cover someone getting a medal for jumping in a bleedin sand pit.  :f_steam:
      TKIDLLTK
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #20: Jul 31, 2011 04:49:23 pm
      Couldn't have said it better myself mate.

Just heard that the BBC had two f**king hundred members of staff there, at that whatever it was nonsense going on today. Yet ITV managed to cover it with 22 members of staff and sky with 11 members of staff. Well at least I can see what great value for money my TV licence really is. Wonder how many staff they'll need to cover someone getting a medal for jumping in a bleedin sand pit.  :f_steam:

Don't get me started on the licence tax...
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,288 posts | 2806 
      Reply #21: Aug 02, 2011 02:18:38 am
      Buzzing for the Games to be honest.

Got tickets for swimming, hockey semi final and then the footie final at Wembley too.
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #22: Aug 08, 2011 02:38:35 am
      Buzzing for the Games to be honest.

Got tickets for swimming, hockey semi final and then the footie final at Wembley too.

You've got tickets?!!  You lucky bugger!  I applied for lots but got nothing >:(  bas**rds >:(

Couldn't find a triathlon thread so I thought I'd stick this in here, Alistair Brownlee won the world champs series in Hyde Park today.  This is the course for the Olympics, so it was a great result.  His younger brother, Jonathan came third, and Helen Jenkins won the women's race yesterday.

Quick Reply