Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

Gareth Bale (worst team in prem - Spurs)

Read 4054 times
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Gareth Bale (worst team in prem - Spurs)
      Sep 25, 2008 03:43:11 pm
      According to many sources, we are after Gareth Bale. If true, would this be a good move or not? He looks a little like Insua to me, short body and same hair do.

Good player in my opinion, Welsh and has a hell of a free kick. But he'd cost a fair bit!
      graham135uk
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 797 posts | 27 
      • “Liverpool are magic. Everton are tragic.”
      Re: Gareth Bale (worst team in prem - Spurs)
      Reply #1: Sep 25, 2008 03:56:14 pm
      Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez will reopen old Tottenham wounds with a £15million January swoop for Spurs full back Gareth Bale.

The Wales defender, who has been on brilliant form this season, is seen by the Anfield hierarchy as a better alternative to Spaniard Fabio Aurelio.

Liverpool and Spurs fell out in spectacular fashion over the Reds' controversial courting of Robbie Keane.

No one at White Hart Lane wants to lose Bale, 19, but Berbatov showed if a player wants to move and the money is right, a deal can be done.

This was in the Mail today.

He is good, I know he only 19, but 15mil, I think not.

Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #2: Sep 25, 2008 04:01:44 pm
      Haven't we only just signed Dossena for £8m?  May as well put Dossena in as a part exchange plus £2 or £3 million.

::)
      paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #3: Sep 25, 2008 04:57:27 pm
      £15million?! We've just signed Dossena for £7million. Give the lad a chance :D
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #4: Sep 25, 2008 05:15:57 pm
      Could mean Aurelio's days are numbered then?

Not a bad player - but £15m is a bit hasty isn't it?
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #5: Sep 25, 2008 05:19:27 pm
      Could mean Aurelio's days are numbered then?

Not a bad player - but £15m is a bit hasty isn't it?

It's how ridiculous the way the Transfer Market is becoming. 

£15m is what £8m was worth about 3 years a go.  I blame the likes of Chelsea and Man Utd.

Paying the over odds for players, made teams with big stars start to jump on the bandwagon of this 'fashion'.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,141 posts | 3383 
      Reply #6: Sep 25, 2008 05:20:57 pm

Since when has our Brazilian left back been Spanish :D :D

Bale is a good player but considering we've just spent so much on Dossena and Reira, I can't honestly see us going after him. Plus Insua is a top class left back in the making, why halter his progress by signing Bale.
      Emlyn Hughes
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,638 posts | 131 
      Reply #7: Sep 25, 2008 06:36:56 pm
      Bale is a great player for his age! Think when he would play by a bigger club he would become worldclass.
      But.... we bought Dossena on his position?! We have Aurelio and the young Insua ?!
      So why bring Bale in it ?
      Alastair
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,414 posts |
      • Biggidy Biggidy Boom!
      Reply #8: Sep 25, 2008 07:13:21 pm
      Cos he is a home nation player, I'd want him in the team cos of that. Anyone else notice the movements of home nation players a lot recently, probs cos everyones afraid of the homegrown players rule coming into play.

Would perhaps explain the move for keane too, and he reason spearing and darby have stayed in and around the first team.

Just an idea, Bale would be a great signing tho, he's got pace, and a hell of a left foot plus he's welsh!!!!
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #9: Sep 25, 2008 07:18:10 pm
      I think he is a good player and one with great potential but I don't understand the point of getting him if we already bought the likes of Dossena and Riera to fill in the void's on the left side.

I think it is a slow week in the world of football with Carling Cup games going on and now all we hear is transfer news.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #10: Sep 25, 2008 07:29:00 pm
      Our team is almost complete - the last thing we need is another LB. Forget him.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #11: Sep 25, 2008 09:20:10 pm
      Hell of a good player i dont think football fans realise his potential but the same can be said for insua, i would most certainly prefer to see insua get a proper chance and the money for bale go on a player we need.

Insua can become an incredible player.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #12: Sep 25, 2008 10:22:54 pm
      Insua COULD become a quality player but thats going to take so many years. Bale is a quality player now. Sell Aurelio in my opinion and put it towards the £10m we was going to pay for that bloody nobody and get a quality left back on the go. Personally though i would prefer for us to look for a right back. In mixed opinions about this 1 but dont see why we shouldnt. After all look at how many supposed wingers we have now and that aint been complained about ;D :S
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #13: Sep 25, 2008 10:37:06 pm
      Whats the point in paying 15mill for a player that we dont need. He is basically the same age as Insua and IMO Insua is better and will have a much better career. Also what would have been the point in spending 7mill on Dossena.

This is just sheer speculation IMO and from what i have heard this article is in the sun so i could'nt really give a sh*t about it to be honest until it is in areliable paper
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #14: Sep 25, 2008 10:44:31 pm
      I agree that we don't technically need another left back mate but one point im getting at is, aurelio isnt as good as bale IMO. I reckon this bale story is complete speculation and will only take it proper serious come january when the real stories get told. I doubt insua is better than bale at all because bale would get into liverpools starting line up whereas insua isnt really close atm.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,141 posts | 3383 
      Reply #15: Sep 25, 2008 10:50:54 pm
      One position we don't need to waste money on is the left back.

We already have Dossena, Aurelio and Insua as natural left backs. Then we have Arebloa and Carragher if we get desperate. Then we have Reira if we reach our bare bones. As well as Robbie Threlfall to return from his loan if we really are short. For the money Spurs would want for Bale, it's a waste of time.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #16: Sep 25, 2008 11:14:18 pm
      To be honest with you guys here, Dossena and Aurelio are barely above average. Insua will take many years to even reach high standards otherwise he wouldn't be 3rd choice behind our other two left backs.

Gareth Bale is a fantastic young left back who is probably leagues ahead of any left back we've had in years. It's about time we had a decent left back at Anfield, but we still haven't got one.

What Dossena did in Italy was very impressive. But many Italian players who move from Italy to England fail, and he could be one of them.

I would buy Gareth Bale if I was Rafa. Maybe not for £15m but maybe £12m is a better price for both parties.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #17: Sep 25, 2008 11:41:30 pm
      Echo most people's comments.  A big pile of bullshit and totally not needed.

To be completely honest I am fairly satisfied with our cover for all positions, apart from possibly the right wing.

Seeing as Stevie is too 'important' to play there it is the one position someone needs to make their own - but Kuyt will take some shifting because he is teachers pet.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #18: Sep 25, 2008 11:50:08 pm
      Echo most people's comments.  A big pile of bullshit and totally not needed.

To be completely honest I am fairly satisfied with our cover for all positions, apart from possibly the right wing.

Seeing as Stevie is too 'important' to play there it is the one position someone needs to make their own - but Kuyt will take some shifting because he is teachers pet.

I agree with you on the teachers pet thing. Kuyt is average at best, I don't want to call him a headless chicken but if it wasn't for his work rate he'd be playing for Stoke City right now!
      JonBassett
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 47 posts | -4 
      Reply #19: Oct 01, 2008 02:33:57 pm
      Bale is better than Insua and Aurelio, but i believe Aurelio is better than Dossena who needs more time to settle down. Bale can't just play left back, he can play left mid, left wing, he's great going forward and he can hit a sweet free kick. He just needs to get better defensively which he should considering he's ONLY 19!!!!

Insua looks promising but Bale's better now and a better prospect imo!
      RedScouseLaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 753 posts | 40 
      • du du du du du du, du du du du du du
      Reply #20: Oct 01, 2008 03:28:35 pm
      Dossena has barley arrived and were apparantly looking for a new left back ? As-if

He has barley had a chance to prove himself yet and will be given to at least January. Patrice Evra looked awful in his first games for maure but now hes one of the best left backs in the league.

I am also quite a fan of Aurelio when he is fit. Given a few games in the side he always starts to impress me only for him to pick up a knock. If he can steer clear of injury i believe he can be a very useful player.

Overall the story is bollicks anyway
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #21: Oct 01, 2008 04:00:01 pm
      To be honest with you guys here, Dossena and Aurelio are barely above average. Insua will take many years to even reach high standards otherwise he wouldn't be 3rd choice behind our other two left backs.

Gareth Bale is a fantastic young left back who is probably leagues ahead of any left back we've had in years. It's about time we had a decent left back at Anfield, but we still haven't got one.

I said that in a previous post and i got slated for it, finally somebody has the same opinion on this topic as me haha :)
      emsy28
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 545 posts | 12 
      Reply #22: Oct 01, 2008 06:26:00 pm
      i would love to have him in anfield.if riera got injured the team would look out of balance again, so i think another quality left sided player would be very welcome.remember he can do a job on the wing to if needed.and we haven't got a freekick taker in our team either, ore a player who can consistently take a good corner either.

Quick Reply