Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 3rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W10 D5 L8

Tottenham v Liverpool - Match Thread

Read 11665 times
      Evilone
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 159 posts | -1 
      Re: Tottenham v Liverpool - Match Thread
      Reply #230: Nov 02, 2008 01:17:58 pm
      feels pretty bad to lose aginast bottenham, but in the second we where pretty bad to. but we diservde a draw in this game.
      barrymanulow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,014 posts | -14 
      Reply #231: Nov 02, 2008 02:43:40 pm
      All the top clubs are facing a similar dilemna, who is going to bang in the goals when you are dominating the opponent. Kuyt has stepped up this season, to fill the void of the injured Torres, but Keane thus far has not proved to be the answer. In the same way Chelsea dominated Liverpool without doing it on the score sheet, Liverpool in turn dominated Spurs. The title race this season seems to be depending more and more on the ability of the top clubs to finish off and opponent, to convert the dominance in possession to goals. In the past you win the league by not losing, but nowadays the efficiency of wins has to be much more clinical. One feels that Torres, Ronaldo, and Drogba are going to pivotal in deciding which way the title goes. Who can stay fit, who can maintain form, who will turn those draws into a win?  
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,658 posts | 6951 
      Reply #232: Nov 02, 2008 02:55:39 pm
      I wouldn't have said Chelsea dominated us at all to be fair.  I can only recall Ashley Cole's chance as their only decent opportunity.

With Keane mis-firing I think Liverpool will need to secure a third striker in the January window.  With Kuyt effectively our best right winger, then we need a third striker IMO.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,039 posts | 3352 
      Reply #233: Nov 02, 2008 02:58:06 pm
      We've got Babel/N'Gog/Nemeth/Pacheco/El Zhar to play up front mate, all it takes is a bit of bottle to give one of the youngsters a real go.
      hoganov
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,715 posts | 162 
      Reply #234: Nov 02, 2008 03:15:52 pm
      Yes. Totally agree. If Kuyt remains on the wing which i think he should and Rafa goes with a 4.4.2 then maybe give Keane a bit of bench time and go for Babbel with Torres up front. Not sure about N´Gog but Pacheco looks alright and we all know about Nemeth who probably deserves to get a game.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,463 posts | 4591 
      Reply #235: Nov 02, 2008 04:18:06 pm
      you cant give bench time to a twenty million pound player,what would that do to his confidence?

reina

arebola                      carra                  agger/skertel                 aurelio

masch                 xabi

el zahar/keane                               gerrard                   babel/riera

torres/kuyt

any thoughts for tuesday for the line up?
      hoganov
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,715 posts | 162 
      Reply #236: Nov 02, 2008 04:31:14 pm
      Of course you can. It would probably be the best thing for him. This is Benitez were talking about here. He droped Torres a few times last season for whatever reasons.
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #237: Nov 02, 2008 09:23:59 pm
      This is the one game I'm not looking forward to !, after the changes at White Hart Lane (and subsequently Fratton Park) I fully expected us to beat Pompey ! but Spurs are a different team all together and after a win and a draw with 'Arry at the helm Confidence is sky high !
      I agree that their defence is weak and the goalkeeper is a joke and a health risk to his fellow players ! but Stoke weren't a joke and cost us 2pts,
      don't forget this is the same team that under Ramos got only 2pts upto the weekend ! but with just a new man in charge have scored 6 goals in 2 games and not just againsts anyone  (remember what Arsenal did in Europe last week !) I am genuinly concerned we may slip up !

the above statement was an honest opinion !  most people thought the game would be a forgone conclusion I even predicted myself a 3-1 win for the reds but I never change my predictions which I  did so before Harry took over ! I   was fully aware of harry's influence on any team he is in charge of and unfortunately to our deficit w found out !
      we should have murdered them and I still don't know how we lost, but we did and its time to move on and take the positives from it and leave the negatives behind onwards and upwards !
      we're into our notoriously difficult Month of the Season and if we come through it unbeaten and joint top behind Chel$ki on goal difference I'll not be unhappy !
      « Last Edit: Nov 02, 2008 09:53:16 pm by redkenny »
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,350 posts | 1533 
      Reply #238: Nov 02, 2008 10:36:30 pm
      I thought I would read lots about 'Harry's influence' on hear. All Bollocks, harry had nothing to do with the chances we missed, end of. No doubt he will get all the aclaim but I bet his arse tightened up a notch or two when Kuytt scored. I am absolutly gutted that we lost, but more so by the way we lost. The quality of our football was o.k. It was just down to not putting the chances away. I was ready for a right old rage, hence the late post, i waited until i'd coolled down a bit. Still bitterly disapointed but Torres will make a difference when he returns and the results we have got recently without him are a  good bonus. We can't afford to lose any more games we dominate but we have to put this behind us now and hopefully go on another good run and not the anual loss of form. Also agree, Nemeth would be worth a look at in the 1st team. On to madrid at Anfield then. A good win on tuesday will set us up nicely for another long undefeated run. Y.N.W.A. ;)
      dizzy141
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 837 posts | 27 
      Reply #239: Nov 03, 2008 06:57:28 am
      Gutted we had that game in the bag and we blew it we played well and should have sent them down with three goals at least. Keane baffles me at the moment he seems not to know how to strike as a main striker he prefers to lay off and pass instead of having a go, Kuyt seems to have learnt as he is shooting from all over and has a belief in him self at last. The commentator said on Saturday the Berbatov would not have been as good last season with out Keane as Keane provided a lot of his goals and it got me thinking that he has done the same with Nando when he has been playing Keane has set up many goals for Nando i think Keane has lost his killer instinct as a main striker and has taken up the supporting strikers role which was evident against Tots.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #240: Nov 03, 2008 08:03:06 am
      I was not going to reply to this thread but I have had time to reflect on the match and the result.The 3 points was there for the takingand with a bit of luck we could of been in front by 4 goals at half time.I am sure Alonso will get a few goals this season,he had so much determination and deserved at least one and Stevies chip to beat the goalie also was worthy of a goal.As RAFA has said if we had scored that 2nd goal Spurs would of had no chance of getting back in the game.

Quick Reply