Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 15th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P1 W1 D0 L0

Delay over contracts

Read 1388 times
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 29,481 posts | 4596 
      Delay over contracts
      Nov 04, 2008 02:28:10 pm
      Any thoughts on rafa, agger, kuyts delay in being offered new contracts.

Where will we be if we lose agger,kuyt next summer and will rafa stay if those two go?

Bit concerning that crucial part of the season is upons us and this has not been put to bed. :-\
      « Last Edit: Nov 04, 2008 03:33:54 pm by JD »
      Paul Tomkins
      • Forum Alf Arrowsmith

• 60 posts | 11 
      • Mr Brightside
      Re: new contract for agger,kuyt,rafa
      Reply #1: Nov 04, 2008 03:02:23 pm
      These contracts are essential. Get them sorted ASAP.

The one good thing to come from Skrtel's injury is that it helps keep Agger, and once he's on a long contract we'll have at least three superb options for a few years (once Sami retires).

I think Agger appreciated that he needed to fight for his place, and that Skrtel was in the team on merit, but he may have lost hope of regaining his place at some point down the line.

Kuyt is less complicated, because he plays regularly, and won't be in such high demand. As much as I love him, he's a 'Benítez' player, and not one that some managers of equally big clubs would appreciate. I also don't think he's even remotely motivated by money.

Obviously Rafa is the main contract that needs sorting, but I believe he is committed to the club for the long term providing he is not undermined.
      paulrobbo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #2: Nov 04, 2008 03:10:46 pm
      I agree. I think Kuyt's contract will be fairly straight forward. Agger's may prove a little trickier. With him not being played all that much earlier in the season. Hopefully he see's that his time will come when he and Skrtel will form the partnership at the back that will see us through for many years. Rafa clearly wants a long term contract in front of him to sign, and I do think it should be done asap and not at the end of the season as some suggest.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #3: Nov 04, 2008 03:22:47 pm
      Yes, as it was mentioned, Kuyt's contract should be no problem. Many big clubs don't chase him. He is very important for the team and his contract should be sorted out soon.

Agger is one for the future. Looking at Liverpool saying he is not for sale and he has said he'll stay and fight after a long injury lay off, pretty much shows how much we want him and how much he wants to be in Liverpool.
      I like him, hope his contract gets sorted out soon too.

Rafa is doing a good job here, and i'd love him to stay. I hope his contract gets sorted out sharpish
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Re: Delay over contracts
      Reply #4: Nov 04, 2008 03:36:30 pm
      Probably not sorted because our clubs finances are up sh*t creek without a paddle thanks to the two lying bas**rds who own the club.

Also Rick Parry's contract is up in January so I can't see him being bothered doing any work unnecessarily.

The reds will probably shift Agger if a decent price comes in at January time.  Kuyt - well not sure what the future holds for him at Anfield.

And finally, I would suggest that Rafa keep a lid on these contract outbursts now.  It was about this time last season that all the 'off field' stuff spilled over.

Liverpool do business behind closed doors (even if it is useless business).  Both the Chairman AND Benitez would do well to remember that.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,218 posts | 3393 
      Reply #5: Nov 04, 2008 04:35:37 pm
      Kuyt will sign on the dotted line because he knows no other "top bracket" club would offer him as good a deal.

Agger should sign because he knows he's the future of the club.

Benitez' contract should be left until the end of the season. I keep saying it with him, he came with a "5 year plan" and it does not take five years to get Liverpool Football Club fourth. Win the league this season, give him a long term contract.
      Paul Tomkins
      • Forum Alf Arrowsmith

• 60 posts | 11 
      • Mr Brightside
      Reply #6: Nov 04, 2008 04:44:05 pm
      Not really an outburst, is it? More of a response to questioning, and a fair one at that.

He can hardly say "I don't want to keep the players". Especially with Kuyt sitting next to him!

I also don't see why we'd accept a decent price for Agger when it won't be anywhere near his true worth, while Kuyt clearly has a future at Anfield as long as Rafa does. Rafa rates both highly, and will rightly make it a point of principle. I don't think he was given £19m to spend on Robbie Keane if we can't even pay existing players the going rate.

A return to the nonsense of last year would be a disaster, but I think all concerned have wised up a bit since then. Doesn't mean it's all hunky dory, but can't see such a situation being allowed to recur.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #7: Nov 04, 2008 05:04:05 pm
      Not really an outburst, is it? More of a response to questioning, and a fair one at that.

Fair point.

But not the first time in the past 10 days I've heard Benitez talking about contracts - his and now the players.  Given the media some ammunition.  Every so often it will be 'So Rafa, how are you're contract discussions coming along'....

You know what the sh*t-stirrers are like.
      mkj1972
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 764 posts |
      Reply #8: Nov 04, 2008 05:16:18 pm
      Think we should get Rafa`s contract sorted out first,then Agger and Kuyts,surely they want to know who is going to be in charge if a new contract is put in front of them,although as we all know anything is possible and can happen in football.
      What i would like more than anything though is to get the future of our great club sorted out ASAP and in to a safe pair of hands.Gillet and Hicks are surely not stupid enough to believe the fans have started to warm to them? They must Go!!

lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #9: Nov 04, 2008 05:18:31 pm
      Will be sorted out soon.

Cant see any of them leaving.
      RedScouseLaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 753 posts | 40 
      • du du du du du du, du du du du du du
      Reply #10: Nov 04, 2008 07:17:47 pm
      I am sure they will all be sorted. The yanks arent stupid enough to sack Benitez with the reputation they already have and have no excuse with the excellent start to the season.

Rafa loves Kuyt and i would really hate to see Danny Agger leave. Rafa said today they will start discussions before the new year.

Sound as a £.
      Eem
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #11: Nov 04, 2008 10:41:14 pm
      Kuyt will definitely re-sign. I'm more worried about Agger. It's be a shame to let him go, and in a year or two I can see him being one of our top 2 centre backs.

Quick Reply