Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Houllier v Benitez

Read 30347 times
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Re: Houllier v Benitez
      Reply #138: Apr 11, 2012 12:09:15 pm

It's an interesting theory, and fair enough. That said, were Mourinho to leave Madrid in the Summer (I know he's said he won't) then I would be surprised if he had to wait two seasons to get another job he fancied. Similarly the Gus Hiddinks, Pep Guardiolas, Carlo Ancellotti's, Fabio Capello's, Didier Deschamps etc etc. Top managers tend to walk into top jobs, I'd even be surprised if Villa-Boas isn't working somewhere else pretty soon.

As for Mournho and his spending, it's an interesting point you make but not one based much around any facts as I understand them. Without wanting to derail the thread overly, Mourinho spent very little at Porto where he won the Champions League, heavily at Chelsea where he won a lot, little at Inter where he won the Champions League and has spent heavily at Madrid in trying to catch Barcelona. I guess we'll never know if we would have swept the board if Rafa had had "Mourniho's dough at Chelsea", and it seems pointless to me to speculate. Many other many managers have recently had more money than Mourinho had whilst managing Man City and haven't been successful so it's clearly not as easy as it looks, but I wouldn't say for a second that Rafa wouldn't have been equally as successful, simply because nobody knows for sure.

Mick, Mourinho didn't spend little at Inter Milan. In one transfer window they got Milito, Eto, Lucio, Schneijder and Motta - 1 WINDOW. Moratti was so desperate to win the CL he went all out, albeit aided by the phenomenal price they got for Ibrahimovic. Mourinho also spent the most out of any domestic team at Porto. He won the CL by beating United in the Quarters aided by the incredible F**k up by tim Howard at the death, he beat Deportivo in the Semis and hello Monaco in the final... brilliant. Oh and Monaco were completely depleted.

Rafa had been burnt by H&G and was not going to get burnt again by Moratti.

Look in my opinion there is no finer manager in Europe especially if your not loaded. However I believe Kenny will be very succesful if backed and given time because he is very experienced very clever and has our best interests at heart .. he is a legend
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #139: Apr 11, 2012 12:15:32 pm
      Mick, Mourinho didn't spend little at Inter Milan. In one transfer window they got Milito, Eto, Lucio, Schneijder and Motta - 1 WINDOW. Moratti was so desperate to win the CL he went all out, albeit aided by the phenomenal price they got for Ibrahimovic. Mourinho also spent the most out of any domestic team at Porto. He won the CL by beating United in the Quarters aided by the incredible f**k up by tim Howard at the death, he beat Deportivo in the Semis and hello Monaco in the final... brilliant. Oh and Monaco were completely depleted.

Rafa had been burnt by H&G and was not going to get burnt again by Moratti.

Look in my opinion there is no finer manager in Europe especially if your not loaded. However I believe Kenny will be very succesful if backed and given time because he is very experienced very clever and has our best interests at heart .. he is a legend

So you're essentially saying that if you disregard and ignore the fact Mourinho sold Ibrhamivoc for a big fee which funded much of the transfers, then he spent a lot of money at Inter? It's a hard one to argue with I'll give you that. The Porto spend is factually innaccurate but going into it here would derail the thread. They did get some luck on the way to winning it though, nobody can deny that. I'm not sure we can too harsh on them for who they beat in the semis and the final though, those teams had gotten there on merit after all.

As for your opinion that there is no finer manager in Europe than Rafa, then I can only say fair enough mate. Needless to say I think there are one or two whop are better, but it's all opinions at the end of the day.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #140: Apr 11, 2012 12:26:37 pm
      Well the transfer fees for Ibrahimovic was large and Mourinho was allowed to reinvest however when you take into account wages and the ages of the players bought on long contracts and the fact you can't sell them on most likely, except for schneider They played 100 games including the WC and they were spent. Mourinhos methods are totally different to Rafas and he wan't given any money to revamp. Look how much he used Coutinho and the young french winger most of the first temaers were injured and was going to play simple portuguese counter attack football which is how inter were set up.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #141: Apr 11, 2012 12:28:46 pm
      I meant 'Wasn't' going to play simple counter attack football. Mourinho attacked him for this saying he should have just stuck with his system. Eto said they were starting to play like Barcelona under Rafa but injuries took their toll.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #142: Apr 11, 2012 12:30:18 pm
      Well the transfer fees for Ibrahimovic was large and Mourinho was allowed to reinvest however when you take into account wages and the ages of the players bought on long contracts and the fact you can't sell them on most likely, except for schneider They played 100 games including the WC and they were spent. Mourinhos methods are totally different to Rafas and he wan't given any money to revamp. Look how much he used Coutinho and the young french winger most of the first temaers were injured and was going to play simple portuguese counter attack football which is how inter were set up.

They have already sold Eto'o on mate for £22million, not bad for a player they can't sell on ? 

Eto'o also said that Rafa had lost the dressing room.
      http://www.fifa.com/worldfootball/clubfootball/news/newsid=1368908.html
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #143: Apr 11, 2012 12:32:18 pm
      They have already sold Eto'o on mate for £22million, not bad for a player they can't sell on ? 

Who bought him? oh yeah Anzi in Russia. I'm sure Moratti predicted that figure for a 32 year old
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #144: Apr 11, 2012 12:35:04 pm

Eto'o also said that Rafa had lost the dressing room.
      http://www.fifa.com/worldfootball/clubfootball/news/newsid=1368908.html

Of course he lost the dressing room because he didn't play Cambiasso who created a revolt according to the sources.If you think Rafa failed at LFC then why didn't we just keep H&G and Hodgson
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #145: Apr 11, 2012 12:36:32 pm
      Who bought him? oh yeah Anzi in Russia. I'm sure Moratti predicted that figure for a 32 year old

Doen't make it less of a fact mate. They also turned down an offer of almost £50million for Sneijder. Not bad investments by Mourinho especially after making a fortune out of Ibrahimavitch.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #146: Apr 11, 2012 12:38:16 pm
      Of course he lost the dressing room because he didn't play Cambiasso who created a revolt according to the sources.If you think Rafa failed at LFC then why didn't we just keep H&G and Hodgson

Because we now have Kenny and H&G were bad owners who put Liverpool in huge debt. Something Rafa never protested about BTW.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #147: Apr 11, 2012 12:40:53 pm
      Doen't make it less of a fact mate. They also turned down an offer of almost £50million for Shneider. Not bad investments by Mourinho especially after making a fortune out of Ibrahimavitch.

It does make it less of a fact. I said schneider could have been sold on and he was never really a risk as an investment except for the politics of madrid. I don't think Mourinho planned for ANzi to buy him do you?
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #148: Apr 11, 2012 12:43:42 pm
      Because we now have Kenny and H&G were bad owners who put Liverpool in huge debt. Something Rafa never protested about BTW.

He never protested! He told everyone that we had no money to invest even though he had been in the CL five years and been to 2 finals a semi and a quarter, highest points tally, FA cup Carling cup final and a negative net spend in his last four or five transfers and we had no money.I think we can all put two and two together
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #149: Apr 11, 2012 12:43:51 pm
      It does make it less of a fact. I said schneider could have been sold on and he was never really a risk as an investment except for the politics of madrid. I don't think Mourinho planned for ANzi to buy him do you?

No he probably bought him to help him win the CL AND THE TITLE....... which he did. Selling him on was just icing on the cake for Milan.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #150: Apr 11, 2012 12:45:12 pm
      He never protested! He told everyone that we had no money to invest even though he had been in the CL five years and been to 2 finals a semi and a quarter, highest points tally, FA cup Carling cup final and a negative net spend in his last four or five transfers and we had no money.I think we can all put two and two together

Bollocks, Rafa never protested the debt..... fact. He even asked the fans not to protest against the debt.... fact. Rafa protested about his contract, protested to save his job and protested for more money..... 
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #151: Apr 11, 2012 12:49:10 pm
      No they got Lucio, Scnheider, Motta, Eto and Milito to win the CL. WHich they won buy playing unbelievable football against Barcelona, with Scneiders penalty against Alves dissallowed and two offside goals in the first leg after a 13 hour train ride from
      Barca (due to volcano). Oh yeah and in the second leg Barca scored the winner at the death which was wrongly dissallowed for handball in the build up and voila.Oh yeah Inter had Motta sent off which plagues Mourinhos teams doesn't it. What a brillaint team that was Inter I mean
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #152: Apr 11, 2012 12:52:37 pm
      Bollocks, Rafa never protested the debt..... fact. He even asked the fans not to protest against the debt.... fact. Rafa protested about his contract, protested to save his job and protested for more money..... 
      Rafa put everything on the line for the club something Mourinho and other managers wouldn't do. He protested against the owners, he took them on publicly and was sanctioned by them otherwise they wouldn't have got rid of hm would they. Or do you think even people with their knowledge of football preferredHodgosn
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #153: Apr 11, 2012 12:55:19 pm
      No they got Lucio, Scnheider, Motta, Eto and Milito to win the CL. WHich they won buy playing unbelievable football against Barcelona, with Scneiders penalty against Alves dissallowed and two offside goals in the first leg after a 13 hour train ride from
      Barca (due to volcano). Oh yeah and in the second leg Barca scored the winner at the death which was wrongly dissallowed for handball in the build up and voila.Oh yeah Inter had Motta sent off which plagues Mourinhos teams doesn't it. What a brillaint team that was Inter I mean

So Mourinho bought 5 players , won the triple, cost Milan nothing in transfers, had a brilliant team,  Rafa lost the dressing room, and lasted six months with those same 5 signings still there and a brilliant team.     
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #154: Apr 11, 2012 12:58:44 pm
      Rafa put everything on the line for the club something Mourinho and other managers wouldn't do. He protested against the owners, he took them on publicly and was sanctioned by them otherwise they wouldn't have got rid of hm would they. Or do you think even people with their knowledge of football preferredHodgosn

He protested against losing his job, he protested about his contract he protested about lack of transfer funds(which if they had given him more just meant more debt on the club) H&G didn't get rid of him, Purslow and Broughton got rid of him mate.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #155: Apr 11, 2012 01:02:32 pm
      So Mourinho bought 5 players , won the triple, cost Milan nothing in transfers, had a brilliant team,  Rafa lost the dressing room, and lasted six months with those same 5 signings still there and a brilliant team.     

5 players --  LUCIO brazil captain, ETO Barcelona's and worlds' top striker, Schnieder - Dutch Creative playmaker from Real Madird, Milito - Argentine International striker in top form in Seria and Motta in top form. Oh yeaj=h he bought just 5 players.

Won the League against who .. there was no one. AC Milan were the closest and they were crap.

No he won the CL and we all saw the players he had at his disposal and how he chose to play them and the deciding factors in each game. His team were the favourites with Barca. Was Rafa LFC ever Favourites?

AS for transfers you have to pay the wages of the five players over fiver years. As opposed to the one player they lost as for ANzi - no one predicted that. Yes your right Saint Mourinho is lucky
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #156: Apr 11, 2012 01:08:12 pm
      5 players --  LUCIO brazil captain, ETO Barcelona's and worlds' top striker, Schnieder - Dutch Creative playmaker from Real Madird, Milito - Argentine International striker in top form in Seria and Motta in top form. Oh yeaj=h he bought just 5 players.

Won the League against who .. there was no one. AC Milan were the closest and they were crap.

No he won the CL and we all saw the players he had at his disposal and how he chose to play them and the deciding factors in each game. His team were the favourites with Barca. Was Rafa LFC ever Favourites?

AS for transfers you have to pay the wages of the five players over fiver years. As opposed to the one player they lost as for ANzi - no one predicted that. Yes your right Saint Mourinho is lucky

Yeah Italian teams were all crap apart from Inter that season. Strange how Fiorentina beat Liverpool home and away that same season.

Yeah Mourinho was lucky :D  seems to follow him about too.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #157: Apr 11, 2012 01:09:27 pm
      He protested against losing his job, he protested about his contract he protested about lack of transfer funds(which if they had given him more just meant more debt on the club) H&G didn't get rid of him, Purslow and Broughton got rid of him mate.

If they had given him more transfers it meant more debt. Let me guess that was Rafa's fault. Don't you think asking where the money went that he won for the club isn't the same as putting the spot light on the owners stewardship without saying quite openly they are screwing us and being sued. Kenny didn't protest about  them neither did Houllier, Carra or Gerrard they only one quesitoning the owners was Rafa if I remember rightly. AS for who made the decision to sack him, isn't that they way it's done it business, look at poor rupert MUrdoch to have such and untrustworthy son.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #158: Apr 11, 2012 01:15:07 pm
      Yeah Italian teams were all crap apart from Inter that season. Strange how Fiorentina beat Liverpool home and away that same season.

Yeah Mourinho was lucky :D  seems to follow him about too.

That was the season we finished 7th wasn't it Saint, Look at Fiorentina's squad and look at Inters. You need a squad to win the league. Mourinho follows money. How much have Madrid spent before he got there? how much now? Look at Inters squad. Chelsea before he got there and how nuch he spent while there. What happened when Abramovich turend on him? Results turned and he lost to us and quit before they were going to play united. He is a survivor. He wasn't going to have his reputaion tarnished. See when the management dont back you your fu**ed.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #159: Apr 11, 2012 01:19:19 pm
      If they had given him more transfers it meant more debt. Let me guess that was Rafa's fault. Don't you think asking where the money went that he won for the club isn't the same as putting the spot light on the owners stewardship without saying quite openly they are screwing us and being sued. Kenny didn't protest about  them neither did Houllier, Carra or Gerrard they only one quesitoning the owners was Rafa if I remember rightly. AS for who made the decision to sack him, isn't that they way it's done it business, look at poor rupert MUrdoch to have such and untrustworthy son.

And just like with Rafa I think Kenny, Gerrard and Carra were wrong not to protest the debt.

I think you need to read a few books then come back mate. Rafa never asked were the money came from, or went to, all he wanted was more. H&G spent £75million on transfers in their first season. 

All rafa protested about was more money for transfers in May 2007, to save his job in November 2007, and for a new contract in 2009 when he also told Liverpool players not to sign a new contract..... even though they wanted to. Effectively holding the club to ransom. 
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #160: Apr 11, 2012 01:21:40 pm
      Anyway I would choose Rafa over Houllier because Rafa was an excellent coach, and both were decent managers.

Quick Reply