Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Jose Reina: "Reds lack experience in Premiership title chase"

Read 2964 times
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Jose Reina: "Reds lack experience in Premiership title chase"
      Nov 09, 2008 08:15:22 pm
      http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_4477529,00.html

Jose Reina admits that inexperience in Premier League title chases will work against Liverpool.

The Reds sit level on points with Chelsea at the top of the table after suffering only one defeat this season.

But Reina fears that the Blues, and fellow title rivals Manchester United, will possess greater know-how when the going gets tough.

Liverpool have not won the league since 1990 and Spanish goalkeeper Reina recognises that a title tilt would be a new encounter.

Reina said in the Daily Star Sunday: "We haven't won the league in 18 years and it's going to take the effort of every player to change that.

"United and Chelsea have the experience because they have won the title before - and recently.

"They know what winning the title is all about and that is something which we don't have."
      ________________________ ________________________ ________________________ ________

I hope this is one of those psychological warfare type talks, and not a defeatist mentality.

Reina can start by ensuring that we continue to have clean sheets. Not give up on our title winning credentials.

Who authorizes these interviews? Do we need an Interview Coach too?  :f_steam:
      The Invisible Man
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 352 posts | 18 
      Re: Jose Reina: "Reds lack experience in Premiership title chase"
      Reply #1: Nov 09, 2008 08:21:06 pm
      I presume he's just trying to take the pressure off a little.

It's true, but we have players who've won plenty of trophies and a manager, assistant manager and first team coach who've won plenty of league titles between them.
      BLEED_RED
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 604 posts | 22 
      • American Kopite
      Reply #2: Nov 09, 2008 08:23:47 pm
      No I think this is just reality, and not a defeatist attitude. He is speaking from the heart and although it sounds like doubt I think all he is trying to say is, if we are to go on a challenge for the long term we need to take nothing for granted and not let the results go to our head. All I think he is trying to say is we need to recognize that we are able to contend, but we need to show up for the games against Chelsea and Manure, and also show up to the games against a team like Tottenham and Stoke.

And about your comment on an interview coach, I don't think you need an interview coach, because even if everyone of our player were coming out blowing smoke up our a*se, we would see right through it. I would rather hear what the players are thinking then some garbage about how much fun they are having.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,682 posts | 6976 
      Reply #3: Nov 09, 2008 08:56:23 pm
      Jose 'stating the bleeding obvious' there.

Many steps to winning a title.

1. Improving your defence - making yourself a difficult side to beat.
      2. Turning draws in to victories. Winning against the other top sides.
      3. Handling the pressure of needing three points in every game as the season draws close
      4. Actually winning it.

I'd say last season was all about #1 and towards the end of the season, and the start of this we are definitely at #2.  #3 and #4 don't usually happen in the same season.

I personally think Liverpool will be better placed if we were we are now come March than with a silly 6,7 point lead.  I think that is when the pressure really becomes too much for a new side up there - when the pressure of 'throwing it away' is enormous.  If you're second by a point, then the pressure's off to an extent.
      robbyr
      • The king of randomness and highly intellectual debate
      • Banned

• 2,684 posts | 27 
      Reply #4: Nov 10, 2008 12:02:50 am
      show the other big 3 no respect when playing them, go at them, then we will win the leage, we need no other experience as weve already beat two  of them, that should be experience enough.

pepe is trying to take some pressure off,     he is wrong in my opinion though, the only thing we really need to do is believe in ourselves, then we will be good enough to do it.... its happening too
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,682 posts | 6976 
      Reply #5: Nov 10, 2008 01:02:03 am
      Difference is, some of our players do have title winning medals.

Don't think any of them had Champions League medals until that first time they got in the final.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,131 posts | 3377 
      Reply #6: Nov 10, 2008 01:11:52 am
      We're level on points with Chelsea at the moment and that's more than good enough. Experince or not. Also Pepe is on about the title "chase", he's lookin a bit into the future. Come the chase, we could easily be ten points clear or behind and then it's all about nerve.

We may not have experince in terms of Premiership champions but we've got a side full of winners. Carra, Stevie and Sami have won everything in a Liverpool shirt (except the Prem), we've got four Spaniards (Pepe included) who were able to guide the Euro 2008 trophy to their native land, we've got a two time Olympic gold medalist. Throw in an FA Cup winner or two and we're laughin. We've got a side full of winners and experince won't come into it, it's can we hold our nerve? Many of our lads have proven they can hold their nerve when it matters.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,682 posts | 6976 
      Reply #7: Nov 10, 2008 01:15:08 am
      Skrtel's won a couple of titles as well.

We're sorted.  One things for sure we don't know when we're beaten and we don't panic even if we're getting beat 2-0.

A positive sign.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,367 posts | 1638 
      Reply #8: Nov 10, 2008 07:22:13 pm
      We are already in a title race ,youre in it as soon as the season kicks off, all this talk of holding youre nerve winds me up ,we got fa cup winners champions league winners numerous other cup winners not to mention the olympics the european championships need i go on ,sure we will need a bit of luck along the way as all title winners do ,but as long as they give it their all we can ask no more, if at the end we are not good enough so be it ,it will come down to desire and belief if we have that we will be very close at the end,you dont need experience to win a game of football the right tactics for different teams yes, but belief skill and desire will out do experience and i think we have these quality,s this time around. 19 ON ITS WAY.
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #9: Nov 10, 2008 08:07:23 pm
      Well put Andy, the lack of experience is a load of bollocks , just show true grit and number 19 is ours.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,480 posts | 2862 
      Reply #10: Nov 10, 2008 08:59:01 pm
      Experience talk is all rubbish.

If we keep our heads down concentrate on winning our games it'll be fine. We have to accept Chelsea and Man U will be up there so as long as we focus on our games  and on our team we will be up there in May. Experience or no Experience.
      REDMAN
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,314 posts |
      Reply #11: Nov 10, 2008 09:35:24 pm
      This is a very clever comment from Reina,he is simply trying to deflect the attention away from us and take any pressure thats on us off!!!
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #12: Nov 10, 2008 11:30:26 pm
      It would have sounded better if he had said something encouraging about the team; add to them believing in themselves. They already hear a lot of crap from pundits, other managers and fans that think they will cough up the lead before december 2008 is over.

Now we have beaten man U and Chelsea, and we will beat Arsenal. Encourage the lads.

Quick Reply