Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Spurs v Liverpool - Pre Match Thread

Read 6196 times
      irishmick
      • Forum Youth Player

• 7 posts |
      Re: Spurs v Liverpool - Pre Match Thread
      Reply #46: Nov 12, 2008 01:25:57 am
      wont see the game due to working nights but i think we should win 3v1 hope to see torres play to get match fitness back and maybe score two
      BLEED_RED
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 604 posts | 22 
      • American Kopite
      Reply #47: Nov 12, 2008 01:48:14 am
      We are gonna beat them so bad a player not even in the game roster will score :D
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #48: Nov 12, 2008 05:59:16 pm
      Redknapp wary of Liverpool threat

Tottenham left-back Benoit Assou-Ekotto is suspended for Wednesday's Carling Cup fourth-round clash against Liverpool at White Hart Lane.

Skipper Ledley King is set to be rested, while Giovani dos Santos is out with an ankle injury.

Boss Harry Redknapp has the option of looking at players such as Paul Stalteri, Ricardo Rocha, Adel Taarabt, Kevin-Prince Boateng and Hossam Ghaly, who all struggled under former head coach Juande Ramos.

Redknapp admits Spurs will lose their grip on the Carling Cup if there is a repeat of their performance against the Reds during his first week in charge.

Spurs could have been dead and buried against Rafael Benitez's men when they met in the Premier League, only for Jamie Carragher's own goal and a last-ditch winner from Roman Pavlyuchenko to give them a 2-1 victory.

Redknapp's magic touch has been credited with Spurs going unbeaten since their change of manager - and defending the Carling Cup is the next task.

"We played Liverpool and beat them but let's face it, they murdered us," Redknapp said.

A full-strength team was picked for the UEFA Cup clash against Dinamo Zagreb last week and balanced against the defence of a trophy, Redknapp is understood to be keen to keep his whole squad involved in first-team duties.

"All the players are in the dressing room after the games, delighted that we have won," Redknapp said. "I have not isolated any of them. They are part of it. And that is how I want to keep it."

Redknapp has spoken to goalkeeper Heurelho Gomes about the selection process for claiming crosses, and the Spurs boss has backed the Brazilian to make a marked improvement over the coming games.

"He did all right against Manchester City (at the weekend)," said Redknapp. "He has just got to settle in and understand what is required in England.

"When you talk to people about him, they talk highly of his qualities. Tony Adams did when he returned from Holland. Gomes took PSV to the semi-finals of the Champions League almost single-handedly, by all accounts.

"He was that good. It is a game of confidence and he has had one or two iffy days. Hopefully now his confidence will start to grow and we will see what he can do."

Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez will make a late decision on whether striker Fernando Torres starts at White Hart Lane.

Torres is in need of match fitness after missing six games with a hamstring injury and is expected to feature on Wednesday while Benitez rests several of his other stars, including Steven Gerrard.

Second-choice goalkeeper Diego Cavalieri, Sami Hyypia, Yossi Benayoun and Jermaine Pennant are also expected to play.

Benitez believes Liverpool can march into the quarter-finals with a revenge win at Spurs because he has players desperate to prove themselves.

He said: "We have enough players in the squad waiting for their chance to impress, it will be important for them to grab this opportunity.

"And when the team is playing well it is easier to change players and retain the system.

"I believe we can still continue to play well and to keep winning regardless of the players we use.

"We want to win every game but this is another competition and we have several players who are tired after some difficult weeks so we rest some and change a few.

"But we have a good squad so we will try to win with different players.

"We may well use Torres from the start. It is a decision I will take on the day after seeing how he has done during training."

The league defeat at Spurs still rankles with Benitez, and he will be looking for his much-changed side to gain revenge.

He said: "We were very much on top and looking a good team, but in football you can play really well and lose while on other occasions you can play badly and still win.

"That was the case last time. We played well and lost. It was more a case that we lost the game rather than them winning it.

"But Spurs have done well. When you are at the bottom and start winning, the confidence comes back. They have good players and finished fifth twice a few years back."

Israel midfielder Benayoun already has his eyes on a Wembley appearance and a winners' medal.

He said: "We have a cup game we know we can win and want to win. We want to win all the competitions, do not doubt that.

"We want to win at Spurs, especially having lost there in the league.

"And for the other players in the squad it is a chance to show what we can do.

"We want to win the game and go on to win the Carling Cup, whoever is in the side. It is important for us. "

http://www.itv.com/Sport/Football/News/CarlingCup/Previews/Tottenham-v-Liverpool-865097285.html
      MsGerrard
      Reply #49: Nov 12, 2008 06:04:18 pm
      Bugger..........Just found out this match is on Sky Sports 2, and I haven't got that  :(

Hope there's some good streams about later on, in fact in exactly 1 hour, 41 minutes and 9 seconds
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #50: Nov 12, 2008 06:05:28 pm
      Bugger..........Just found out this match is on Sky Sports 2, and I haven't got that  :(

Hope there's some good streams about later on, in fact in exactly 1 hour, 41 minutes and 9 seconds

I'll post any I find in the streams thread. But in the meantime ...

COME ON YOU MIGHTY REDS!
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,220 posts | 3393 
      Reply #51: Nov 12, 2008 06:22:09 pm
      Well we've just ordered the chippy, just about to settle down and watch the might Reds give these cockneys a good stuffin.
      govinox
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 661 posts |
      • Where once we watched the King Kenny play.
      Reply #52: Nov 12, 2008 06:23:50 pm
      Would really like to see Pacheco in action soon.But i guess he is unlikely to future today. Pacheco-Torres...hmm....

Quick Reply