Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

Gerrard given freedom of Knowsley

Read 3306 times
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 40,484 posts | 8671 
      Gerrard given freedom of Knowsley
      Nov 11, 2008 12:43:48 am
      Lock up yer daughters  ;D

Just listening to CityTalk, and it just had a piece from some do tonight in which our own Steven Gerrard has been given the Freedom of Knowsley by Knowsley Council, apparently the council leader is a red!! nudge nudge wink wink   :f_whistle:  Just joking with the nudge nudge stuff

A fantastic award for our skipper, only whats taken them so long, Jamie got his from Sefton Council about three years ago!

Obviously there will be more about this tomorrow.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Re: Gerrard given freedom of Knowsley
      Reply #1: Nov 11, 2008 01:06:16 am
      He must be so proud.  All those fine drinking establishments that can't shut till he says so.  :f_whistle:
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #2: Nov 11, 2008 01:18:41 am
      What's Knowsley? ???
      paulrobbo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #3: Nov 11, 2008 01:19:27 am
      He must be so proud.  All those fine drinking establishments that can't shut till he says so.  :f_whistle:

Steven Gerrard is my new wing man!
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,141 posts | 3383 
      Reply #4: Nov 11, 2008 01:22:07 am

A place known only for Steven Gerrard and it's boss Safari Park. :D
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,141 posts | 3383 
      Reply #5: Nov 11, 2008 01:24:38 am
      From Wiki

Steven Gerrard, a boyhood Liverpool fan, despite being pictured in an Everton FC kit as a child, was given the Freedom of the borough of Knowsley in December 2006 and is now the captain of Liverpool FC. One of his privileges after being given the Freedom is that he is allowed to drive his sheep down the main street of his home town

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metropolitan_Borough_of_Knowsley
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #6: Nov 11, 2008 01:47:29 am
      ^^ Wiki getting mixed up with Carragher getting the freedom of Sefton there?

Shame the Bluebell's been knocked down isn't it....he could have kept the peace when it was closing time.  ;)

Heard this on the radio tonight. Apparently he's the fourth person to be given the honour. The first person was a former Prime Minister or something?

Anyway, well in Stevie lad. Throw a party for all us reds in Lord Derby's estate when we win the league.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 40,484 posts | 8671 
      Reply #7: Nov 11, 2008 03:28:47 am
      Harold Wilson you mean Kenny!
      neilh2105
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 37 
      Reply #8: Nov 11, 2008 07:31:10 am
      I'd give it back, Kirby and two doys fightin........narrrrr
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #9: Nov 11, 2008 08:00:29 am

Heard this on the radio tonight. Apparently he's the fourth person to be given the honour. The first person was a former Prime Minister or something?

Think that was Harold Wilson Ken, not sure though  ;)
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #10: Nov 11, 2008 08:20:14 am
      Think that was Harold Wilson Ken, not sure though  ;)
      Harold Wilson was the MP for Huyton B4 he became Prime Minister,I do not think Knowsley was established as an electorate in those days in the late 1940s.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #11: Nov 11, 2008 10:11:43 am
      A place known only for Steven Gerrard and it's boss Safari Park. :D

What's up with you? How can you forget the massive Asda and Tesco. Schoolboy error that.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #12: Nov 11, 2008 10:12:35 am
      Apparently he's the fourth person to be given the honour. The first person was a former Prime Minister or something?

Now I'm dying to know the other two!
      MsGerrard
      Reply #13: Nov 11, 2008 11:31:42 am
      Steven Gerrard given the Freedom of Knowsley Borough

Nov 11 2008 by Richard Down, Liverpool Daily Post

STEVEN Gerrard was last night given the highest honour his home town could bestow – the Freedom of Knowsley Borough.

Liverpool FC’s superstar captain and England regular, dressed in a grey suit, spoke with pride of his upbringing on Huyton’s Bluebell estate during the ceremony at Knowsley Council’s Huyton Suite.

The 28-year-old is only the fourth person to be granted the title of Honorary Freeman.

Speaking briefly at the ceremony, he said: “This is a very special honour for me and even more so as it is awarded so rarely, so I’d like to thank Knowsley Council.

“I’m very proud of the area that I grew up in and proud of the community I came from. Growing up on the streets of Huyton helped me get to where I am today.

“These are the family and friends who have been with me since I dreamt as a boy of being a professional footballer.”

Gerrard follows in the footsteps of former Labour Prime Minister Harold Wilson, who was the first to accept the honour in 1977.

Last night’s honour was the first in 20 years and it came in recognition of “his outstanding contribution to national and international football and his position as a role model to young people”.

Gerrard’s stellar career kicked off at Whiston Juniors, before being spotted by a Liverpool scout at age eight. This season he has notched up his 100th goal for the club and he is set to mark 10 years since his first team debut.

Leader of the Council Cllr Ron Round, said: “Steven is one of the greatest individual success stories to come out of Knowsley in recent years. Knowsley has a long and celebrated history of nurturing footballing talent and long may this continue.”

The high-profile crop of players from Huyton includes Everton legend Peter Reid, Craig Hignett and Tony Hibbert.

Neighbouring Kirkby has produced Phil Thompson, Alan Stubbs, Kevin Nolan and Terry McDermott, but Gerrard is the only player to have been granted such an honour.

At the ceremony, Gerrard and 120 guests were treated to the Knowsley Singers and Street Feet street dance group.

Gerrard made his Oath of Allegiance to Knowsley before signing the Roll of Honour.

At the end of the ceremony the Mayor of Knowsley, Cllr Michael Foulkes, presented the 28-year-old star with an Honorary Freeman Medallion and scroll.

Cllr Round said: “He is an excel-lent ambassador for Knowsley and a great role model. His story is one of talent, commitment and passion which has seen him grow into a world-class player.

“It sends a message out to young people everywhere that with hard work and persistence, they too can realise their dreams.”

He aimed his comments at the young footballers at the ceremony who acted as guard of honour.

*****************************************************************************

Many Congratulations Stevie, I'm certain Knowsley is immensely proud of you.

Houdi
      • On Trial

• 1 posts |
      Reply #14: Nov 12, 2008 08:09:00 am
      Now I'm dying to know the other two!

Lord Wilson of Rievaulx (Harold Wilson) in 1977;

33rd (Lancashire & Cheshire) Signal Regiment (Volunteers) in 1980;

Herr Brunswick – Burgermeister of Stadt Moers, Knowsley’s twin town in Germany, in 1988
      Mildrop
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 207 posts |
      Reply #15: Nov 12, 2008 09:00:53 am
      Herr Brunswick – Burgermeister of Stadt Moers, Knowsley’s twin town in Germany, in 1988

The name was on the tip of my tonque, and then you beat me to it
      MsGerrard
      Reply #16: Nov 12, 2008 05:09:11 pm

Quick Reply