Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 24th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P14 W9 D1 L4

Spurs v Liverpool Match Thread

Read 40963 times
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,453 posts | 8662 
      Re: Spurs v Liverpool Match Thread
      Reply #368: Nov 13, 2008 12:28:08 am
      I'm gonna go with DLS, apart from the two crosses, Babel was sh*te, first half did he look arsed. I think he's another confidence player, not someone to drive on the team like it needed tonight.

Obviously Dross stunk the place out, and being honest now he needs a run of games .......... in the reserve team. Anyone tell me how many reserve team games Diego has played in goal this season, cos he's another one who could do with a few games.

Is Degen made of glass? And he also fu**ed up our chances of a comeback by injuring Gomes! At least Diego ain't THAT bad.

Torres got hardly any service and wasn't surprised when he was taken off early in the second half.

Still if we pick up three points on Saturday, this will be forgotten.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #369: Nov 13, 2008 12:33:18 am
      Chelsea's assistant said they won't disrespect the competition by fielding their youngsters. so they actually lost with their first team(actually,even their subs can be considered first team due to their quality).

I personally don't really bother about us losing to Spurs. After all, our main target is the Premier League and we can't play all our star players each game. Spurs used their whole first team with Bent, Bentley and Modric on the bench. And we had players like Plessis, Insua, Cavalieri, Darby and N'gog who hardly gets Premier League.

2006/2007, we got knocked out by Arsenal in 2 cup competitions including an embarassing 6-3 defeat at Anfield. Arsenal themselves got knocked out not long after that.
      We may have lost that round but we did make it to the Champions League Final ;)

Another good news, torres came off uninjured.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,682 posts | 6976 
      Reply #370: Nov 13, 2008 12:33:46 am
      Degen looks like he's here for the jolly doesn't he?

Good point.  Cavalieri doesn't play in the reserves.  Rafa's got the whole reserve thing completely fu**ed up.  It should be a blend of the youth and the permament bench players.  At least that Gulasci has a bit of match experience under his belt.

Some things Rafa does really do make me wonder.
      Madzz Adzz
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 569 posts |
      Reply #371: Nov 13, 2008 12:34:13 am
      EL Ziar, Plessises, Insua. the only ones i would keep after to nights performance. shocking. dodgy Brazilian keeper dodgy dossena why does he play him? give Insua run out in the startin 11 in the prem hes much better than him. take arsenal last nights they were amazing and there all kids, just wish we had Kidd's like that in our reserves.
      Chin up Liverpool lets concertrate on the league and champs league now. OH yeah don't forget the fa cup. i truly believe we can win all 3 this season with a lot of hard work!
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,682 posts | 6976 
      Reply #372: Nov 13, 2008 12:43:02 am
      Insua was great in his last game against Crewe.  Why the F**k he didn't deserve to start is completely beyond me.  Benitez probably feels he had to  play Dossena because he wanked £7 million on him and he has not been playing in the league recently.

Selling Riise and buying Dossena has 'weakened' our left back role.

Selling Finnan and buying Degen has 'weakened' our right back role.

Shifting Itandje and Scott Carson out of the scene and buying Cavalieri has 'weakened' us in the goalkeeping department.

Considering Benitez is a defensively-minded coach whatever way you look at it they are three shockingly bad decisions.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,131 posts | 3378 
      Reply #373: Nov 13, 2008 12:45:57 am
      Chelsea's assistant said they won't disrespect the competition by fielding their youngsters. so they actually lost with their first team(actually,even their subs can be considered first team due to their quality).

I personally don't really bother about us losing to Spurs. After all, our main target is the Premier League and we can't play all our star players each game. Spurs used their whole first team with Bent, Bentley and Modric on the bench. And we had players like Plessis, Insua, Cavalieri, Darby and N'gog who hardly gets Premier League.

2006/2007, we got knocked out by Arsenal in 2 cup competitions including an embarassing 6-3 defeat at Anfield. Arsenal themselves got knocked out not long after that.
      We may have lost that round but we did make it to the Champions League Final ;)

Another good news, torres came off uninjured.

If our main target is the Premiership, which it surely is in my eyes, why mention we got to the Champions League final? In the season you mentioned (06/07) we finished twenty one points behind the champions. I'm actually failin to see the point you're makin.

Again if our main target is the Prem, why on earth did we use our fringe players rather than a full set of reserves?
      crouchysrobot
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 311 posts |
      Reply #374: Nov 13, 2008 01:06:44 am
      If our main target is the Premiership, which it surely is in my eyes, why mention we got to the Champions League final? In the season you mentioned (06/07) we finished twenty one points behind the champions. I'm actually failin to see the point you're makin.
      I think what he is trying to say is that despite those disappointing games, we still managed to do well in other competitions.

I couldn't watch the game, but I have just seen the highlights on Sky Sports News and the keeping on those goals was atrocious. The keeper on my high school team could've (and has before on similar shots) saved that first goal and the second was an amateur mistake, not something a player being payed big money should make. There was no saving the third goal and I was too annoyed to watch the fourth but I doubt it was a great goal based on what I've seen from the first three.

I'm glad I wasn't able to see the whole game, it sounds like it was rather depressing by what I've heard.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #375: Nov 13, 2008 01:07:28 am
      Insua was great in his last game against Crewe.  Why the f**k he didn't deserve to start is completely beyond me.  Benitez probably feels he had to  play Dossena because he wanked £7 million on him and he has not been playing in the league recently.

Selling Riise and buying Dossena has 'weakened' our left back role.

Selling Finnan and buying Degen has 'weakened' our right back role.

Shifting Itandje and Scott Carson out of the scene and buying Cavalieri has 'weakened' us in the goalkeeping department.

Considering Benitez is a defensively-minded coach whatever way you look at it they are three shockingly bad decisions.

Spot on about selling Riise and Finnan and bringing in Dossena and Degan 'weakening' those positions in my opinion.

Personally I felt Riise had done his time and was hopeful whoever came in to replace him was going to prove a lot better defensively. Alas, it hasn't happened that way. I didn't want Finnan to go though.

So what was it? 4 for Riise and 2.5 for Finnan? You might as well say we traded those two players in for Dossena plus half a million or so. Doesn't look that good when you think about it does it.

Think Itandje is possibly another Cavalieri though. And Scott Carson was eager to leave no matter how much better he might have been.

I would say I've been confused about shipping David Martin out though. Didn't see the sense in that. He was very good in a league winning reserves team last season and was getting a few spots on the bench for the first team near the end of last season.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,131 posts | 3378 
      Reply #376: Nov 13, 2008 01:16:34 am
      If I'm not mistaken Kenny, Martin is only out on loan until the turn of the year, which means come January he should be back in and around the Liverpool squad.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #377: Nov 13, 2008 01:23:40 am
      If I'm not mistaken Kenny, Martin is only out on loan until the turn of the year, which means come January he should be back in and around the Liverpool squad.

Yeah, it was a six month loan mate. But why was he shipped out? I don't understand that. Personally, from what I've seen of him, I think he's a decent keeper. Plus he's English which means there's no communication barriers to get over compared to Cavalieri. Just makes you wonder....why??
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,131 posts | 3378 
      Reply #378: Nov 13, 2008 01:31:38 am
      Yeah, it was a six month loan mate. But why was he shipped out? I don't understand that. Personally, from what I've seen of him, I think he's a decent keeper. Plus he's English which means there's no communication barriers to get over compared to Cavalieri. Just makes you wonder....why??

To get the games I'd assume mate. No keeper in the world would be displacin Reina, so Martin probably felt a loan move would do him good and currently it has with Leicester comfortably in the playoffs at the moment.

I agree he's a decent keeper and certainly our best second choice but maybe Benitez doesn't see it that way and is puttin him in the shop window.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #379: Nov 13, 2008 01:37:40 am
      Yeah, I can understand the getting games aspect, but it will be interesting to see what happens when he comes back if you know what I mean. I hope it's not a case of Cavalieri replacing him! Because getting back to the point of a position being weakend, I think that would be the case.
      T-Unit-LFC
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 403 posts | 11 
      • We Won It 5 Times!
      Reply #380: Nov 13, 2008 01:41:29 am
      Just wanna say, we were absoulte sh*te in the first half, but the second half we made a real go of it, but we just couldnt pull it back. I was at the game and hats must go off to all the Liverpool fans who went like myself, the atmosphere was fantastic and the liverpool fans did there selves proud tonight with a very vocal performance, why cant we all sing like we did tonight at home games!! We would have a cauldron of noise if we did!
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,131 posts | 3378 
      Reply #381: Nov 13, 2008 01:46:43 am
      Considerin players we were "linked" with for the second fiddle keeper, Cavalieri doesn't seem a bad option either though mate. I mean we were linked with Maik Taylor from Birmingham, Steve Harper from Newcastle and Paddy Kenny from Sheff Utd.

Now I know a lot of Northern Ireland fans will think Taylor is the best thing since Pat Jennings but he's over the hill now, even to play second fiddle to Reina. He was all set to join by all accounts until he decided that he wanted first team football at this stage of his career. I think he's still at Alex McCliesh's Birmingham, getting quite a few games. If we'd been offered him when he was at Fulham, I wouldn't of minded a punt on him but not now.

Harper again is a decent keeper but doesn't wanna leave his hometome club, where he's been Given's number 2 for a decade now. No point leavin the number 2 position at the club you love for the same position at a club you have no effection for really. Wouldn't of minded him though as he is a good keeper.

Kenny I'm not sure about. Seems to make to many mistakes, maybe it's because of the back four he has in front of him at Bramall lane. But I never wanted him.

So when you look at it that way, maybe we didn't get a bad choice in Cavalieri. I know most would prefer Martin as our back up keeper, but with him being loaned out, Cavalieri might of been the best choice of our transfer targets.
      Venison 86
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,157 posts | 205 
      Reply #382: Nov 13, 2008 02:25:40 am
      Not the best use of £35 and a half days holiday that one, and I will leave it at that bloody knackered, depressed and of to bed

We better F***ing batter Bolton Saturday
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #383: Nov 13, 2008 03:03:42 am
      Our defence didn't deal the game properly :O they goals they scored were so easy. Dossena is not better than Riise. At least Riise had that Liverpool thing in him. A 32 year old Finnan lasts longer than a Degen that often gets injured.

I rated Scott Carson,and was happy when we beat everyone else to get his signature but he was maybe a wee bit too good to be 2nd choice.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #384: Nov 13, 2008 04:43:23 am
      That first half was one of the poorest showings I have seen from a Liverpool side under Rafa. I think with a bit of luck from the goals we got we shown a little bit of fight and maybe if we got the pk on Degen and scored things would of been different but that wasn't the case but overall a very embarrassing showing from the guys.

It stars at the back with Diego who looked very poor. First goal he should of had, no keep should ever be beaten through his legs and the 3rd goal was just something you had to laugh at. Degen looked like he played his first football game, he let way too many crosses come in from behind him, was very poor with the ball at his feet and for a guy who is suppose to be attack minded with bags of pace he shown nothing besides the run when he was fouled. Dossena was just awful. Poor Sami and Agger were dragged out of position to cover the full backs it just was a mess.

In the middle I though Lucas was one of the better players (not saying a lot from tonight's showing) when in the attacking half with some nice passing and movement but I feel that he hasn't (or for many on here will never) got in grips with the pace/physical nature of the game. Plessis was awful, he lacks the athleticism (or some see it as work-rate) needed to do his role and that is why he will never cut it. El Zhar shown few thing when he played as 2nd striker. Babel was a little bit of a let down though Spurs double and tripled team him a lot of the time when he got the ball wide as he was the best threat of attack. Alonso was class when he came on.

Torres was poor, I feel it was a mix of lack of service, not being match fit and not fully committed in playing. At least he never got hurt and hope he will show up on the weekend. N'Gog was simply poor

I wasn't that arsed about the Carling Cup but to lose the game in that matter got me going a little bit but now time to focus on what really matters on the weekend.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #385: Nov 13, 2008 05:23:26 am
      Definately have to look through my rose tinted glasses and say, for our second rate side against pretty much a full strength Tottenham side (minus King, Bent and Modric) we did well in the end. Was a very poor first half, no denying that, but we showed character through guys who have had very little football between them this season.

Not fussed about Nando's performance levels TBH, its a Carling Cup game. It just was one of those nights aswe so often see in this competition. Just move on.

A blessing in disguise though is that Chelsea lost so it takes some limelight off our capitulation and it hovers over a title rival. Thank goodness for that.

I'm not going to dwell on this result, i wont look back at this and say, 'Why oh why did we lose in the Carling Cup?'. We're still joint top in the league and CL.

Bolton will feel our wrath this weekend and we should all just get behind the lads and bring 3 points home.
      southafrican_red
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 356 posts |
      • With hope in your heart...
      Reply #386: Nov 13, 2008 06:06:18 am
      It's always good to win but honestly we won't spend too much time mourning this loss...

Back to the Premiership boys...let's get those 3 points .
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #387: Nov 13, 2008 06:12:34 am
      If we are in the need to drop out of one for the four competitions we are in, it might as well be this one.

I can't blame Fernando cause he did not receive the services of Stevie, Keane, Kuyt or even Riera and he was pretty much there cause he lack fitness. Had he played in our 5 premier league games, he definitely won't play in the game against Tottenham. And mind you, we played Tottenham, they are not Wigan,QPR or Burnley. So it is safe to say our oppoenent in round 4 was quite tough compared to others. Plus, Fernando came home uninjured, which is good news.

Look at the bright side, we are still joint top in the premier league and champions league. The only bad thing about losing this game is, the youngers in Liverpool gets less chance to impress.

ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #388: Nov 13, 2008 06:53:54 am
      Obviously as gutted as everyone else about this loss. OK, if I could choose a match for the team to lose or a competition we had to be eliminated from, it would be this one.

Still, I don't really think it gives us much of an advantage TBH. I appreciate that this leaves us less matches to play, but these were also matches to give the youngsters and those on the edge of the first team a run out in a competetive match, and any "fiddling" or "tweaking" of player combinations or tactics could have been tested.

Time to put it behind us and focus on the main prize: the league. I want to see a big win this weekend and us back on track!
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #389: Nov 13, 2008 06:54:39 am
      The only bad thing about losing this game is, the youngers in Liverpool gets less chance to impress.

Just noticed this after posting! Good point Ad, I didn't mean to copy!  ::)
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #390: Nov 13, 2008 07:39:02 am
      Just noticed this after posting! Good point Ad, I didn't mean to copy!  ::)

No problemo ayrton77 :P. Great minds think alike ;)

Quick Reply