Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 24th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P14 W9 D1 L4

Spurs v Liverpool Match Thread

Read 40964 times
      robbyr
      • The king of randomness and highly intellectual debate
      • Banned

• 2,684 posts | 27 
      Re: Spurs v Liverpool Match Thread
      Reply #391: Nov 13, 2008 10:44:11 am
      not bothered about this match

1. spurs were bound to be up for this, this is their only chance of silverware this year
      2. better off out the way, we dont need too many games - more risk of injury to our players
      3. who cares
      4. spurs were pretty much full strenght and their form is on fire atm

only downpoint is our reserves showing, they should have been more up for it, and maybe sammi has seen his best days now
      mattmcg
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,410 posts | 103 
      Reply #392: Nov 13, 2008 10:50:28 am
      I think most people are more disappointed in the manner of our defeat rather than being out of the competition.  It also highlights our lack in depth and if any of our top players get injured, its worrying to see from last night's showing who would replace them.

As for our full backs, well Dossena and Degan should be embarassed to wear the red shirt.  I'd take Aurelio anyday but even he is only decent at best.  And what is it with Brazillian goalkeepers?  They're all kamikaze nutters!!
      scouseuk
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 106 posts | -3 
      Reply #393: Nov 13, 2008 11:24:27 am
      poor play but alot of the team
      rafa should  have put some f/t players out
      not just 2 or 3
      even if its a small cup its still silverware
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #394: Nov 13, 2008 12:45:22 pm
      All will be forgotten and forgiven when we walk away with 3 points from the Reebok.
      ricohman
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 39 posts |
      Reply #395: Nov 13, 2008 01:17:36 pm
      Its alright saying its JUST the Carling cup, I thought Rafa might like a bit of revenge for the last time we played them, I feel sorry for our fans that went there and saw that performance.
      Scott Barton
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,552 posts |
      Reply #396: Nov 13, 2008 02:32:48 pm
      To be fair it may be a case of not caring, you put on a liverpool shirt you play your arse off, last night a bunch of foreigners who were there for money. Thats the different in todays football imo
      MELLI70
      • Forum Youth Player

• 12 posts | -1 
      Reply #397: Nov 13, 2008 03:04:30 pm
      We were awful last nite, Dossena needs to go
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,131 posts | 3378 
      Reply #398: Nov 13, 2008 04:18:45 pm
      It's only the league cup? Well if that's the attitude, why do we bother enterin it full stop. Lets just tell the FA we don't care, it's pointless. There is never a pointless game when wearin the Liverpool shirt. Those players were wearin the shirt of Liverpool Football Club and not one of the startin XI, not f***in one of them, showed any sort of passion for the club or the travellin fans who were outstandin. They let the fans down.

I am disappointed we're out of the Carling Cup because it's a trophy this club has always taken pride in, that's why we've won it 7 times, and it's that word pride that wasn't shown yesterday. The players didn't have pride in wearin the shirt, they obviously think they're too good for the "mickey mouse" cup. Well after that performance it proved they're not good enough, some in ability, some in attitude and some in both. Sami for example, I didn't once see him give players a bollockin, that's what he's meant to do as the experinced player. You could see the disappointment on Carra's face while he was on the bench, you could see him feelin literally sick at what was happenin in front of him.

No passion, no pride, it didn't even look like they had shame in their performance. It was shockin, league cup or not, it was shockin.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,682 posts | 6976 
      Reply #399: Nov 13, 2008 08:17:20 pm
      You're right.  Hyypia should have been giving them the whats-for.  Just thinking now, I'm assuming he was captain last night?  Either way he should have been right down the throat of some of those players after that first goal.  Maybe he's off in January after all.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,682 posts | 6976 
      Reply #400: Nov 13, 2008 08:23:48 pm
      Even Agger thinks Dossena's sh*t....

Agger said: “If you see the goals it was the same problem every time and they speak for themselves. We conceded four bad goals and you cannot expect to do that and still get anything out of a game.

“We improved in the second half but we knew it could only go one way as we couldn’t play as badly as we did in the first half.

“Right now it’s difficult to take any positives at all. That just wasn’t good enough. We have to do better than this otherwise we won’t achieve anything this season.”

“For some players this is a very important competition,” he insisted.

“We have a big squad and the more games we can have the better it is for us.

“Not going any further than the fourth round this season is very annoying.”

Too right it was the same problem every time.  Well said Dagger. 

Second quote a little bit more interesting, no?

« Last Edit: Nov 13, 2008 08:34:14 pm by JD »
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #401: Nov 13, 2008 08:34:02 pm
      Didn't see the match as I was otherwise engaged lastnight but from what I've heard it was an atrocious show.

I wouldn't go as far as saying 'It's only the league cup.' Being knocked out of any competition is always a poor show and the reserves in our squad will have even less chance to show what they can do. But as Ayrton said, if you were to choose this would be the first knocked off your list.

We shouldn't mull over this performance too much. I'm sure we're going to take 3 points at the weekend, with minimum fuss. We have much much bigger things to be thinking about and Tottenham are welcome to their victory. They're still languishing near the bottom and we're sitting just off top on goal difference. There is a much bigger difference in both teams intentions for the league cup. For us, it's just another cup alongside the other three that are highly possible for us. For them, it's their best shot of keeping up the European football they are obviously going to miss out on if they don't clamber back up to the UEFA Cup spots.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,131 posts | 3378 
      Reply #402: Nov 13, 2008 08:34:22 pm
      You're right.  Hyypia should have been giving them the whats-for.  Just thinking now, I'm assuming he was captain last night?  Either way he should have been right down the throat of some of those players after that first goal.  Maybe he's off in January after all.

Sami was captain last night which made it a bit more disappointin that he didn't give the players a right rollockin. I don't think it'd be because Sami was off in January (if he is) he loves this club too much for it to be somethin like that. I think he just knew there's no point wastin his breath on Dossena because it wouldn't make him any better :D
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,386 posts | 1542 
      Reply #403: Nov 13, 2008 08:46:06 pm
      Collectively it shows our reserve side is a long way off the pace. Heart and quality. On the bright side, we're not likely to have ALL the first team injured at the same time are we? I f we have to use lesser players due to injury it's usually only one or two, who then get instruction and direction from the senior players. All is not lost on this result. As poor and embarassing as it was, lets move on to bolton and 3 more points. All said and done. Spurs are rejoicing because thay beat our reserves,, so F***ing what. Yeah I know they beat us in the prem as well but how lucky were they then. Still only a top ten side at best, not a major threat to us are they ? Move on.
      mkj1972
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 764 posts |
      Reply #404: Nov 13, 2008 08:48:56 pm
      Whatever game or competition,Liverpool should always aim to win,all this talk of it`s only the Carling Cup,I`m not bothered really annoys me,I know Rafa`s priority is the Premership,but it was such a dismal performance last night,I felt sorry for the fans who paid decent money for tickets and travel to get to White hart lane,but football is all about money these days I`m afraid.Dossena has even admitted he came to England just for the money and look how sh*t he is!!   
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,360 posts | 2877 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #405: Nov 13, 2008 09:04:35 pm
      Collectively it shows our reserve side is a long way off the pace.

Its not our reserve side tho. I think Degen got a run out with them once while Ngog and El Zhar are in and out of it so Plessis is the only regular reserve plus Darby and insua who came on. Last night was with the exceptions of Agger and Dossena lads who play little or no football plus Nando returning from injury   

Whatever game or competition,Liverpool should always aim to win,all this talk of it`s only the Carling Cup,I`m not bothered really annoys me,

As I said last night the 7 or 8 lads who arent regular should be looking at the carling cup as an oppourtunity to show Rafa they can play to the required standard. 2 or 3 showed that they cant
      KOPMKD
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 129 posts |
      Reply #406: Nov 13, 2008 09:27:53 pm
      Players not good enough for red shirt:DOSSENA,NGOG,PLESSIS,DEGEN AND HYYPIA(OLD AND SLOW).

Players that have some first team chance:INSUA,EL ZHAR,LUCAS LEIVA,PENANT,BABEL.

But our first 11 are still way ahead of them, we saw that yesterday in a cruel way, thank god we have fantastic midfield trio(GERRARD,ALONSO,MASCERANO)

The spine of our success.
      « Last Edit: Nov 13, 2008 10:00:55 pm by JD, Reason: Use the enter key on your keyboard. And the spell check. »
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #407: Nov 14, 2008 07:58:33 am
      Players not good enough for red shirt:DOSSENA,NGOG,PLESSIS,DEGEN AND HYYPIA(OLD AND SLOW).

Players that have some first team chance:INSUA,EL ZHAR,LUCAS LEIVA,PENANT,BABEL.

But our first 11 are still way ahead of them, we saw that yesterday in a cruel way, thank god we have fantastic midfield trio(GERRARD,ALONSO,MASCERANO)

The spine of our success.

So your the fella pestering Paul by email eh?

Sami is as good a back up as we can get and happy to do so. His experience is invaluable and really helps the younger lads in movement.

N'Gog is still young and learning. Showed some of what he can do in pre season.

Degen has played a few games and when hasnt played its because of injury. Also adapting to a new club.

As for Lucas and Pennant *scoffs*. Pennant wont get a game ahead of Kuyt unless Robbie and Nando are both injured and Rafa decides for a 4-4-2 which is highly unlikely in this situation. And Lucas is sh*t.
      Scott Barton
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,552 posts |
      Reply #408: Nov 14, 2008 09:23:21 am
      If you want 2 players who will lose the ball and play sloppy its pennant and lucas if you ask me, neither are good enough for liverpool
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #409: Nov 14, 2008 11:04:38 pm
      Our back 4 did not show up for the game. Hyypia/Agger combo was dismal! Disgraceful. Dossena was defending also in places Agger & Hyypia should have covered if they weren't missing in defence.

What is wrong with Babel? holds on to the ball too long! tries to dribble for too long, wont pass when another player is better placed to make batter progress and then he loses the ball!!! Moron!!! I wont even talk about the central midfield.

Quick Reply