Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

Kissing the badge?

Read 3973 times
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 21,141 posts | 3383 
      Kissing the badge?
      Oct 28, 2008 11:56:29 pm
      Is this less inciting than taking your shirt of completely?

Barton and Rooney (two "bluenose" scousers) have been guilty of kissing their badge to the opposing fans and neither are recieiving punishment for it, but score a winner in the last minute, take your shirt off and celebrate with your own fans and you're yellow carded. What a joke our FA is.

Barton was clearly doing it to get up the nose of the Sunderland fans who'd been (rightfully) giving him stick. Rooney was worse in my opinion because he was doing it to his own kind. He was doing it to fellow Evertonians and no matter how much I hate Everton, I have every sympathy with those fans who wanted to give the c**t a right good kicking there and then. His own family are Evertonians which shows his own family don't mean that much to him. Soft b***ard.

There's some occasions where I think it's allowed. When Gerrard kisses his badge it's because he loves Liverpool and he does it towards the Liverpool fans. Even Gary Neville where he ran the lenght of the pitch to kiss his badge in front of us, personally I don't mind it. He loves Man United so let him celebrate a United goal. Fair enough he shouldn't of ran that far to do it in front of our fans but still it's his love for the club coming through. Barton and Rooney can't love Newcastle and Man United, they are born and bred Evertonians.

There has to be a rule change over it. Doing it to purposely incite a response from opposing fans should be a striaght red and three game ban in my opinion. We're trying to get football to a stage where violence doesn't occur inside the stadium, idiotic things like this will be causing more scenes of violence and abuse. Straight red and three game ban because they won't do it again I can tell you that much. If they do, do it again then the FA has to be harsher and make the suspension longer and freeze the players wages.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Re: Kissing the badge?
      Reply #1: Oct 29, 2008 12:54:18 am
      Yeah, i think the one Rooney kissing the United badge was really terrible. And it was not because he scored a goal for United. He was substituted. I'd be pissed off if i was an Everton fan. Afterall, Everton was the team that made gave Rooney his big break in the highest stage.

Stevie kisses his badge cause he's been Liverpool all his life and he's the captain of the team he has supported since he was a boy.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #2: Oct 29, 2008 01:10:22 am
      It was inciting to riot and should be punished.

Barton kissed his badge against local rivals Sunderland and Rooney did it to the fans who idolised him and put him where he was today.

Does Barton kiss his badge when Newcastle are playing Grimsby away in the FA Cup?
      Does Rooney kiss his badge when Man Utd are playing Hull in the Premiership?

No they don't. 

It's a sign that they are both a pair of pricks.  They should receive some form of punishment for it - or maybe in those circumstances the police should allow the people they offend on to the pitch to have a 'chat' with them?

Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #3: Oct 29, 2008 02:01:10 am
      I agree a 100% they are pricks whose actions can not justify any other intent other than provocation.

That Rooney tw*t deserved to be sniped in the middle of that sh*te ground and hung upside down. If a player that has dedicated his entire career to the club kisses the badge thats fair enough a justified gesture of saying thanks and expressing your love for the club.

It reminded me of that tw*t Schevchenko when he scored his first goal for Chelsea running around kissing the badge.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,484 posts | 8675 
      Reply #4: Oct 29, 2008 02:08:21 am
      I can't see why fans get wound up by it so much. It is the biggest, most shallowest act in football.

Players do it like it means something, but they will easily sell out if a bigger wage by a bigger team is offered.

dizzy141
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 837 posts | 27 
      Reply #5: Oct 29, 2008 07:06:50 am
      I absolutely agree with you Huyton its a stupid thing to get so wound up about and the FA are bigger tw*ts for even entertaining such a stupid thing if they ban that well then what next no celebrations at all!! or are player not going to be allowed to mouth off on tv like Carra did after the Manc game because a silly manc got all upset cos of what he said its all getting too silly now. 
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #6: Oct 29, 2008 10:18:59 am
      It is wrong and JD has hit it bang on the head when it comes to who they're playing.

Problem being though, if a rule is brought out over it then when Gerrard kisses our badge he'll be liable to punishment. You know what the FA are like.
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #7: Oct 29, 2008 10:42:12 am
      I slightly disagree with JD's comments yes it wouldn't have mattered as much against the likes of Hull or stoke but in Barton's case it was against local rivals and he had been taking some abuse, he's served his crime and has repented the future should be what he makes of it not other peoples actions or opinions !
      Rooney's incident was against his previous club (which as somebody as already pointed out was the team that 'made' him ) it was totally out of order but this is Rooney we're talking about here it was only what we expect of him !
      the big games bring out devil in certain players and in both these cases that was the case, barton was his first full game back and rooney was after his 100th goal against his previous club.
      by the way I totally disagree with being booked for removing your shirt !
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #8: Oct 29, 2008 11:43:36 am
      What about Shevchenko's case?
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #9: Oct 29, 2008 11:47:16 am
      what about it ? please fill me in on the circumstances !
      LFC 4 LYF
      • Forum Michael Robinson

• 52 posts | -1 
      Reply #10: Oct 29, 2008 11:52:01 am
      What would you say when Dirk Kuyt kissed the badge after scoring a winning goal?
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #11: Oct 29, 2008 12:33:39 pm
      I'm saying that there is passion or antagonistic tendancies with kissing the badge ! in the case of Gerrard and any other loyal player its fine, however in the case of rooney it was meant to antagonise the Everton supporters (the same ones that 'made' him as i said earlier) what i can't understand about him (and it angers me no end) is he's and Evertonian !
      Not only does he not have any loyalties he has no morals either !
      I remember in 1974 when Denis Law backhealed a goal into Manure's net for Man City the consequences of which was relegation to the 2nd division (i laughed at the time ) but he walked away and refused to celebrate as United meant so much to him !

dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 21,141 posts | 3383 
      Reply #12: Oct 29, 2008 02:38:27 pm
      What would you say when Dirk Kuyt kissed the badge after scoring a winning goal?

I take it this is referring to one at City this year. I have no problem with it (not because it's a Liverpool player) because it was to his own set of fans (in this case ours). If Rooney scored at Goodison and kissed the badge while celebrating with United fans, it wouldn't be a problem. The fact is he was trying to antagonise the Everton fans. If you're celebrating with your own fans then no problem, if you're purposely looking to cause a response from the opposing fans then you need to be punished.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #13: Oct 29, 2008 03:15:45 pm
      I think they are punishing them-selves by looking like complete tossers doing such actions.
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #14: Oct 29, 2008 06:09:36 pm
      I don't think there punishing themselves or looking like tossers ! they only look tossers when they move on to other clubs and do the same there ! it's about loyalty and commitment to one club, Like Giggs, carragher, Gerrard, Gary Neville  !
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,367 posts | 2880 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #15: Oct 29, 2008 10:36:54 pm
      I love it from Gerrard and Carra lads who grew up at the club and will most probably see out there careers at the club but other players will kiss the badge now but come the transfer window piss off somewhere else cos its warmer! Not saying that we have any like that in the squad just saying that its how some operate. The Rooney incident was a disgrace especially after his famous once a blue comment.

Kiss the badge cos it means something to ye not cos its the fashionable thing to do these days  >:(
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #16: Oct 30, 2008 10:43:52 am
      Well there you go Frizby do some research for yourself. Shevchenko spent 7 years at AC Milan or whatever it was and the first goal he scores for Chelsea he runs around kissing the badge. This was in like round 3 or 4, surely he could not have had any loyalty towards anything but the green after a few weeks at a new club.

If a player has dedicated time and plays passion for one club for a number of year then I have no problems with it, providing he scores an important goal.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #17: Oct 30, 2008 08:25:47 pm

Kissing the badge in front of your own supporters when you score is one thing.

Kissing the badge in front of your opposition supporters with whom you have history after a decision has gone against you is something entirely different.
      Ard Mhacha Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,794 posts | 31 
      Reply #18: Oct 30, 2008 10:36:19 pm
      for players who have spent the majority of their careers at one club, they have a sense of loyalty and belonging to the badge, so it is fair enough.

for others like the ones mentioned, shrek, sheva etc, they should just pull out a £50 note and kiss it, cos thats all they give a sh*t about.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #19: Oct 31, 2008 04:12:46 am
      It's okay when Stevie kisses the badge or any other Liverpool player, is okay cause they are proud to play for Liverpool.

The thing about Rooney was he kissed the United badge after being substituted(not even scoring a goal) at Goodison Park in front of the manager who made him who he is and fans he had history with isn't a nice thing to do.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #20: Oct 31, 2008 11:13:53 am
      I love seeing a player kiss the badge, only sign of loyalty there is in the game but being incitful and just doing it to create a war of words and possibly actions is a completely different thing.

Rooney must be punished, it was clearly an act to wind up Everton and while Everton are sh*t, moaning bas**rds, i'm with them on this because Rooney owes his career to them.

Barton though, came out of prison, getting alot of stick and to be honest, i was happy for him when he scored and showed he is man enough to come back and try to repay the faith of Newcastle. I cant imagine what some said to him but in his case, the passion was legitimate, unlike Rooney.
      dizzy141
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 837 posts | 27 
      Reply #21: Nov 03, 2008 08:52:42 am
      The players do it too either inspire or antagonize if they ban it they ban it for every one and i think it is just stupid if Rooney or Barton are doing that then the fans should all turn there backs on them, pull there pants down and tell them to kiss there rusty sheriffs badges!

The whole thing about football is the fans, they give players sh*te on the field and antagonize players this is there way of fighting back and if so thats fair and don't get me wrong it think both of them are tw*ts and doing what they did just shows what kind of people they are but really i dont see the point of the FA getting in there and messing it up for the rest.
      inbir316
      • On Trial

• 3 posts |
      Reply #22: Nov 17, 2008 04:09:10 pm
      Rooney is a ponce...he did the same thing at anfield last season...ball went out for a throw and some lads at the front of centenary towards anfield road gave him some stick, he responded by kissing his badge! didn't bother the fans they just called him a fat b***ard even more...i found it quite funny he did it cuz i know hes a complete ballbag as it is! but going to the everton game...if he wanted to act like a tw*t as he goes on about being a hardcore blue etc then f*** him!

Quick Reply