Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 2nd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W7 D5 L11

You'll never walk alone

Read 8989 times
      The Gooner
      • On Trial
      • Started Topic

• 2 posts |
      You'll never walk alone
      Oct 04, 2006 03:56:17 pm
      Just wondering, as a gooner, who started this tune? When was it released, who sang it first, when did Liverpool start singing and why?

Most of all, why do Celtic sing it too? Did they sing it before you or was it the other way around?
      liverpaul
      • Forum John Barnes

• 409 posts |
      You'll never walk alone
      Reply #1: Oct 04, 2006 05:25:18 pm
      rogers and hammerstein actually wrote the song for the musical carousel (its right at the end if you havent seen it) then it was covered by gerry and the pacemakers in the sixties.

During which time the kop used to sing the current number 1 song at the time whoever it was the beatles were the main candidates at the time then gerry made it to the top spot with YNWA so as was the norm the kop sang it.

once it was knocked off the top the new number 1 was played and there was a bit of a moan from the kop asking where their song had gone (they obviously liked it) so it got played again and again and so it stuck and became our anthem.

As for celtic i dont know the history for them singing it but admittedly they do a blinding job anfield only really gets a spine tingling version for the big games or european nights.

German club bayer leverkusen have also adopted it as their song after our game with them in the champions league winning season as soon as we beat them it was played and the whole ground was singing it it has been played there since as well it was also heard during the recent world cup.
      lfc kid
      • Forum David Johnson

• 239 posts | -1 
      You'll never walk alone
      Reply #2: Oct 04, 2006 06:45:12 pm
      you know ur stuff m8 cheers
      Madzz Adzz
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 569 posts |
      You'll never walk alone
      Reply #3: Oct 04, 2006 08:08:50 pm
      Its nice haveing a suporter from a diffrent club on here and not postin abuse. Liverpool and arsenal have a weird relionship, maybe cus both teams hate chavsvill and manks usa. or we just have respect 4 each other. I rember watchin liverpool v arsenal back in 1990 on telly, wen arsenal took the league from us at anfield. and at the end of the game the liverpool fans even tho we lost the match, celerbrated with the arsenal fans. and i think thats why both teams respect each other. correct me if ime wrong.
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      You'll never walk alone
      Reply #4: Oct 04, 2006 08:27:41 pm
      well done The Gooner! at least ur a true football fan and u respect us 4 supporting liverpool and arent giving us abuse! YNWA
      The Gooner
      • On Trial
      • Started Topic

• 2 posts |
      You'll never walk alone
      Reply #5: Oct 05, 2006 11:07:21 am
      That's okay guys! Who do you get abuse from? Obviously Manure but who else? Surely not Everton! ;D  They have a good history in my eyes but it's incomparable to your club. It's like Spurs fans giving it all that when they were ahead of us even though we wipe the floor with them in terms of history. When we pipped them to fourth place the spuds were nowhere to be seen on our websites. Funny that.... :roll:

Back on topic though, it's a wonderful tune. In fact some of our fans want an anthem but you can't just pick one up just like that or force it down. I reckon Man City should sing Blue moon with more heart and it could become more intimidating for away fans.

@Liverpaul. Are you effectively saying Celtic sing YNWA with more passion? Doesn't it piss you off that they also sing it though?
      liverpaul
      • Forum John Barnes

• 409 posts |
      You'll never walk alone
      Reply #6: Oct 05, 2006 04:57:44 pm
      i wouldnt say with more passion gooner but it does seem that the games in europe and the big prem league games against the likes of yourself, man usa and neverwon the atmosphere does seem to be better than other games.

The champs league semi final against chavski YNWA was the best i have ever heard anywhere ever, it wasnt just the kop it was the whole ground it really was something special and again in the final at half time.

I thought all clubs had their own song so it does surprise me that arsenal haven't maybe you need to start 1 hehe
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,657 posts | 6951 
      You'll never walk alone
      Reply #7: Oct 08, 2006 05:16:55 pm
      Agreed.

The Chelsea game in the Champions League was the best atmosphere for a game at Anfield since it went all-seater.  Probably because everyone stood up the whole way.

That game re-iterated my distant belief that Anfield can still live up to it's illustrious history, and it wasn't the terracing, or the seating, it was the fans.
      woodsie2b
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 135 posts | 11 
      You'll never walk alone
      Reply #8: Oct 09, 2006 12:49:19 pm
      alot of german teams sing YNWA my local team kaiserslautern do and speaking to alot of the german army they say most teams in germany sing it  having listened to them sing it nowt beats the kop on a classic european night
      liverpaul
      • Forum John Barnes

• 409 posts |
      You'll never walk alone
      Reply #9: Oct 09, 2006 04:36:26 pm
      i doubt anywhere is better than anfield on european nite
      Chelsea allstars
      • Forum Youth Player

• 10 posts |
      You'll never walk alone
      Reply #10: Oct 09, 2006 06:33:10 pm
      ah der is a goon on this site n i bet he gets treated like a king and i get da boot but im not ere to start im ere to talk but pls dont get ahead of urselfs about ur club and btw dat tune you will neva walk alone aint dat bad. i like lfc but i hate the scum in manchester everyone duz
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      You'll never walk alone
      Reply #11: Oct 10, 2006 11:05:48 pm
      I'm sick of glory hunters as this Chelsea Fans comment  :evil:  :evil:
      RedWilly

• 9,198 posts | 1641 
      Re: You'll never walk alone
      Reply #12: Jan 23, 2007 10:05:03 pm
      Chelsea allstars F**k off, you ain't welcome!
      Darth Joe
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 846 posts | 31 
      Reply #13: Jan 23, 2007 10:19:27 pm
      That's funny Liverpaul, wasn't that like, 3 months ago?
      redlozells
      • Forum David Johnson

• 224 posts |
      Reply #14: Jan 23, 2007 10:28:01 pm
      YNWA = Liverpool FC. For pure enjoyment, emotion and passion, pl go to You Tube on this link, scroll down the page and listen to "liverpool gerry and the pacemakers" and re live the greatest european football final ever.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Gerry+and+the+Pacemakers
      graham135uk
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 797 posts | 27 
      • “Liverpool are magic. Everton are tragic.”
      Reply #15: Jan 26, 2007 07:40:31 am
      I think I'm right in saying Liverpool where the 1st club side to sing YNWA around the ground, as far as i know Celtic 1st sang the song when we played them in the 60s, they liked it and took it back with them, as far i know there are 4 British teams who sing YNWA.
      but i am very sorry to say this but we were not the 1st football club to sing YNWA, it was sung at Man.u. after the busby boys lost there lives on the plane crash, not sure on the date around the late 50s or early 60s, bobby charton was one who life was saved.
      We were the 1st to take into are hearts and sing it every week.
      edu_rbb
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 499 posts | 14 
      • En Sevilla
      Reply #16: Jan 26, 2007 10:19:10 pm
      translate in spanish is "nunca caminara solo" the betis fan say "viva er beti manquepierda"
      gerrard8
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 100 posts |
      Reply #17: Feb 11, 2007 08:33:53 pm
      liverpaul ur a clever man ;D
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE !
      Reply #18: Oct 10, 2008 09:54:52 pm
      As everyone knows OUR SONG is YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE - GERRY AND THE PACEMAKERS and is THE song to be sung on the terraces !
      Does anyone know of alternative versions by other artists and if so what do you think of them ?
      Me being an Elvis Presley fan and music buff as can be borne out by my occassional  :f_tongueincheek: venture into the Song Assocciation thread will testify, I think his is a great version but NOTHING will allow me to admit theres a better version than the original simply because its OUR SONG !

http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=xnR0R93UsKM
      paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Re: YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE !
      Reply #19: Oct 10, 2008 10:03:09 pm
      Best it's ever been performed?

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=11MQnQ8QjJs
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #20: Oct 10, 2008 10:09:20 pm
      Don't disagree but was looking for recordings by artists
      paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #21: Oct 10, 2008 10:11:46 pm
      Don't disagree but was looking for recordings by artists

Just had to get it in there mate ;)

To be honest I haven't heard many other recordings apart from the original.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,258 posts | 8581 
      Reply #22: Oct 10, 2008 10:28:02 pm
      Gerry and the Pacemakers is not the original!

It was originally wrote by Rodgers & Hammerstein for one of there stage shows. Can't remember which one.

Gerry just did a cover.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #23: Oct 10, 2008 10:34:42 pm
      Gerry and the Pacemakers is not the original!

It was originally wrote by Rodgers & Hammerstein for one of there stage shows. Can't remember which one.

Gerry just did a cover.

That's right Huyton Red.............and I'm pretty sure it was Carousel
      mkj1972
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 764 posts |
      Reply #24: Oct 10, 2008 10:37:00 pm
      That's right Huyton Red.............and I'm pretty sure it was Carousel

Dead right Cas
      MsGerrard
      Reply #25: Oct 10, 2008 10:38:31 pm
      One of the truly great classic musicals, Rodger’s and Hammerstein’s CAROUSEL broke the mould with its gritty, courageous and emotional look at relationships. The story of the love affair between Billy Bigelow, a smooth-talking CAROUSEL barker, and Julie Jordan, a naïve young mill worker, CAROUSEL is set to one of the most ravishing and celebrated scores of all time, the composer Rodger’s personal favourite, including The CAROUSEL Waltz, If I Loved You, June is Bustin’ Out All Over and You’ll Never Walk Alone. CAROUSEL has captivated audiences across the world since its original Broadway opening in 1945 and was lauded ‘Best Musical of its Century’ by Time Magazine in 1999.

Thanks MKJ...........wasn't sure, so i checked  :)
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #26: Oct 10, 2008 10:42:30 pm
      I should have said chart hit as it got to number 1 and I'm more of a chart buff than music buff ! sorry  :-[
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #27: Oct 10, 2008 11:17:10 pm
      I have a version of.........Barbra streisand
                                         daniel O'donnel
                                         Frank Sinatra
                                         Pattie Labelle
                                         elvis presley
                                         rhydian roberts
                                         Nina simone
                                         Johnny Cash
                                          Jordin sparks
                                          Ray connif singers
                                          Richard clayderman (instrmental)
                 and naturally         Gerry and pacemakers
         I like them all cause when I hear that song ,well I love it         

and the Fans one ..I love that
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #28: Oct 11, 2008 12:20:58 am
      You should have been a dj Frizzby.

Ahhhh!! Makes me want to go the match and there's no game this weekend!!!!

Johnny Cash. Just look at us reds.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=-oo2TP4i5jg
      MsGerrard
      Reply #29: Oct 11, 2008 12:30:15 am
      Great Video Kenny  ;D...........but awful singing   :( felt like I was in church  :-[
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,353 posts | 1634 
      Reply #30: Oct 11, 2008 12:53:26 am
      I remember watching sky sports the night before 2005 watched the build up and at the end of it they showed the sky going down dont know who looked out of the studio and said these words will it be a golden sky for LFC tomorow and then they played ELVIS singing our song the first time and the last ive heard him sing it love to hear it again a bit drunk so i am rambling see you all bye.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,657 posts | 6951 
      Reply #31: Oct 11, 2008 12:55:17 am
      I remember watching sky sports the night before 2005 watched the build up and at the end of it they showed the sky going down dont know who looked out of the studio and said these words will it be a golden sky for LFC tomorow and then they played ELVIS singing our song the first time and the last ive heard him sing it love to hear it again a bit drunk so i am rambling see you all bye.

That was legendary.  I remember that.

We used to have it via Youtube on the website but the 'authorities' removed it.

If anyone's still got it somewhere I'd love to have it posted back on the site.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #32: Oct 11, 2008 12:57:47 am
      Andy can you say that again in English please  :lmao:

When you've sobered up tomorrow, you will see that Frizzby has posted it above  ;)

That was legendary.  I remember that.

We used to have it via Youtube on the website but the 'authorities' removed it.

If anyone's still got it somewhere I'd love to have it posted back on the site.

Reply 18 JD on the last page  ;)
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,350 posts | 1533 
      Reply #33: Oct 11, 2008 12:58:17 am
      Liverpool were the first to adopt YNWA as thier club anthem. Celtic never took it on until well into the seventies.
      The mancs never sang it as far as any records i can find although they will probably claim the did. As for the rest around europe. They coppied just about everything we did in the sixties, seventies and eighties. Thats what being a great club is all about, every one else whants to be like you. That's what makes us special.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,353 posts | 1634 
      Reply #34: Oct 11, 2008 01:03:16 am
      JD come may i will get hold of it because my mother  has all his recordings think i will have to sit by her window watch the sun hear the song and just SMILE  BEEN WAITING TOO LONG YNWA
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #35: Oct 11, 2008 01:06:48 am
      These videos have stunned me into silence. Each one is great in its own way.

I feel such pride from watching all of them - thanks guys :D
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,657 posts | 6951 
      Reply #36: Oct 11, 2008 01:09:13 am
      Personally, YNWA at Anfield that night in 2005 after Chelsea was as good as it's ever been for me.

Cheers RK for the post.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #37: Oct 11, 2008 01:11:28 am
      Having never been to Anfield, I can't say what's best - but that 2005 Semi one always has me smiling :D
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,353 posts | 1634 
      Reply #38: Oct 11, 2008 01:13:51 am
      MS G  thanks for that just had a listen pure class off to bed now bit giddy but happy off on sunday to buy my nw car hope its all i think it is ,goodnight all,./F or the record the mancs did sing it for a while but didnt carry it on ,just gos to show they dont now class when its infront of them

Quick Reply