Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

The Keane/Torres Partnership

Read 1473 times
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,367 posts | 2880 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      The Keane/Torres Partnership
      Nov 25, 2008 01:21:00 pm
      Over the past few days Ive read a lot of posts talking about the Keane Torres partnership and how it hasnt worked cant work or wont work. I found these comments to be somewhat knee jerk. They are 2 good players in Nandos case an exceptional player and I always believe that good players can learn to play with each other given the chance. And look at the facts they havent had that much of a chance.

I think We have played 21 games in all competitions this season. Torres and Keane have started just 9 of those together. The first 5 in a row they did struggle together. However there was a glimpse in the derby that it was coming together but Keane was left out of the next game and then Nando got injured. On Saturday against Fulham it was the first time since the PSV game they played together and the first time they played 90 minutes together all season.

So while Im frustrated with the chances Keane is missing I do think its unfair to write the Keane/Torres partnership off. Give it a few gmes in a row to click and if not fine change it but it does deserve a chance to click 
      « Last Edit: Nov 25, 2008 01:31:10 pm by Court LFC »
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Re: The Keane /Torres partenership
      Reply #1: Nov 25, 2008 01:33:48 pm
      They have shown that they can work together like in the Merseyside derby and against PSV.

I believe when they are given a chance, they'll click well together and Keane will click well with the other players as well.

And also, Torres has been in and out most of the time. Torres himself hasn't played many games together with Steven Gerrard to show their partnership like last season, let alone Robbie Keane. Furthermore, Fernando just came back from a long lay off and is still looking sharp. Like you said Brian, they need to be given more time and I hope it's just around the corner.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Re: The Keane/Torres Partnership
      Reply #2: Nov 25, 2008 03:34:54 pm
      I think they've played quite a bit with each other to be fair.

I'm intrigued as to whether not only will this work, but whether it will be given a chance because Alonso and Mascherano have both been very good this season so far, Alonso especially.  And Gerrard isn't going to get dropped.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,367 posts | 2880 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #3: Nov 25, 2008 04:28:09 pm
      They played the opening 5 games together so thats 4 games from the next 16 and only 1 full 90 minutes together hardly going to click into the leagues top pairing in that way. We have to take Nandos injury into account I know
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,141 posts | 3383 
      Reply #4: Nov 25, 2008 04:55:33 pm
      I've been one of the biggest critics of the partnership, I don't think it can work instantly unlike Torres/Gerrard or Cole/Yorke.

They don't naturally suit each other's game and that's why it's imperitive they get as much time as possible together. Constantly bringing Keane off doesn't help this case, neither do the injuries Torres has recieved. We have saw glimpses of the partnership clicking, but they have been just glimpses.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #5: Nov 25, 2008 04:59:07 pm
      Torres is the complete forward.  As dangerous outside the box as he is within it.

It's debatable if he even needs a strike partner who would no doubt just get in his way.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #6: Nov 26, 2008 12:06:17 am
      Fernando Torres can do it on his own up front alone, unlike Keane.
      Fernando was brilliant against Fulham while Keane wasn't anywhere but the miss!
      Fernando was good when he came on against bolton as well.

Quick Reply