Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

Roy Evans Bullish Over Reds Title Hopes

Read 1565 times
      RedLFCBlood
      Jul 05, 2009 01:25:01 pm

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N164924090705-0911.htm

Roy Evans is confident Liverpool can go one better than last season and claim the Barclays Premier League title in 2009-10.
      The Reds finished the 08-09 campaign just four points behind eventual champions Manchester United, despite losing fewer games and scoring more goals than Alex Ferguson's side.

However, former Anfield boss Evans believes the title race experience gained by Rafa Benitez's charges could prove invaluable this time around.

"I think as a player, when you've come so close and you've been in the title race, then you know you're capable of going all the way and winning it," Evans told Liverpoolfc.tv.

"You gain confidence from that - not only in yourself, but also in the players around you.

"That's something you can never buy. No matter how great a footballer is, you have to learn to be a winner.

"We've done it in cup ties and competitions in recent years, but when it comes to the league it's over a longer period of 38 games and you've got to be consistent - that's exactly what we were last season.

"Having played so well and amassed so many points, Liverpool will be disappointed they didn't win the title, but they should take confidence from that, rather than any negatives.

"We could not have come any closer last campaign and I am very optimistic for next season."

hold 51
      • Forum Markus Babbel

• 74 posts |
      Re: Roy Evans Bullish Over Reds Title Hopes
      Reply #1: Jul 05, 2009 01:33:13 pm
      we need another couple of signings first for me to be as confident as roy!
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #2: Jul 05, 2009 01:37:12 pm
      we need another couple of signings first for me to be as confident as roy!

Totally agree with you mate, we could also do with holding on to our top players as there is lots of speculation surrounding them.

Love Roy Evans though he's a Liverpool man through and through and at one point in his managerial career he looked like he was going to win the league for us, shame he didn't as the side he created was as good as Man Utd at the time.
      philH
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 628 posts |
      Reply #3: Jul 05, 2009 02:10:34 pm
      Think that Torres and Stevie staying fit is the main key, as well as keeping hold of Xabi & Masch - Although i think Alonso will go- is a big factor as well. Think we could improve the left hand side of midfield. Riera & Bable too inconsisant for my liking
      Paul LFC
      • Forum John Toshack

• 260 posts | -1 
      Reply #4: Jul 05, 2009 03:05:49 pm
      If Torres and Gerrard stay fit we'll be fine and also keeping hold of xabi and masch and I feel so sorry for Roy Evans he built a great team and we played great football unluckily we didn't win the league
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,141 posts | 3383 
      Reply #5: Jul 05, 2009 03:24:31 pm
      Well said Roy mate. We need a few more like you, to just give the lads that extra bit of confidence.
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #6: Jul 05, 2009 03:36:57 pm
      Well if Roy Evans says we will go one better, then who am i to disagree. Come on you Reds.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,141 posts | 3383 
      Reply #7: Jul 05, 2009 03:38:51 pm
      Well if Roy Evans says we will go one better, then who am i to disagree. Come on you Reds.

IRWT (In Roy We Trust) and all that eh mate :laugh:
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #8: Jul 05, 2009 03:50:05 pm
      Sure thing DLS, ;D
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #9: Jul 05, 2009 09:29:08 pm
      He's seen some good football over the years, Roy. And he can certainly pick out a winning mentality when he sees it. So he's got every right to be bullish.

He knows it's down to the players to improve on last season like we all do. I'm sure the players know that themselves.

Prove him right lads!
      red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,854 posts | 69 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #10: Jul 05, 2009 10:20:08 pm
      Roy Evans always has been a believer in Liverpool fc ,ran the team as if it were part of his family ,nice one Roy great to hear positive comments from quality people
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #11: Jul 06, 2009 12:25:57 am
      Well if Roy Evans says we will go one better, then who am I to disagree. Come on you Reds.
      IRWT (In Roy We Trust) and all that eh mate :laugh:
      Roy Evans is a top man and LFC through and through, and as I am Roy Evans also, this one say's we can do it as well, bring it on.
      fletch_rox
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,189 posts | 12 
      • JFT96
      Reply #12: Jul 06, 2009 04:50:17 am
      We can do it. If Alonso and Masch stay, Gerrard and Torres stay fit I guarantee we will win it.
      Signing David Silva would be the missing piece of our title winning puzzle aswell.
      But we can certainly do it, I believe we will, lets go reds
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #13: Jul 06, 2009 07:41:00 am
      About time someone talks us up, not throwing us down and doubting every move we make. And if Roy Evans thinks we have what it takes then the lads must really appreciate that someone of his stature has faith in them from outside of Anfield.
      skinupred
      • Forum Youth Player

• 17 posts |
      Reply #14: Jul 06, 2009 08:48:05 am
      Roy is a legend and i agree with him, i just wish a few of the x liverpool players would take a leaf out of his book and start backing us
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,288 posts | 937 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #15: Jul 07, 2009 10:09:12 pm
      If we can keep one of Mash or Alonso i think we can do it

Quick Reply