Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 8th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P20 W12 D4 L4

Snooker

Read 175949 times
      The-AllMightyReds
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 964 posts | 183 
      Re: Snooker
      Reply #2070: May 06, 2024 09:23:49 pm
      That's an UNBELIEVABLE snooker by Jones.

What's happened with Jak?

Tremendous play by Jak here to close this frame off.

We have a little visitor on the yellow ball.........the wasp casted a spell that it must be pot!!!!
      « Last Edit: May 06, 2024 09:35:39 pm by The-AllMightyReds »
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 21,112 posts | 3367 
      Reply #2071: May 06, 2024 09:33:56 pm
      Both players had chances but it was Jones who made the most of his and there's another frame back for Jak. Once again he's got to just three behind Wilson.

17-14 Wilson.
      The-AllMightyReds
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 964 posts | 183 
      Reply #2072: May 06, 2024 09:46:25 pm
      Why is Jak opting for this shot? Seems a bizarre choice. 8 points forfeited now.

Reckon this is the last frame now.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 21,112 posts | 3367 
      Reply #2073: May 06, 2024 09:57:26 pm
      This is your chance Kyren.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 21,112 posts | 3367 
      Reply #2074: May 06, 2024 10:02:14 pm
      Congratulations Kyren Wilson on becoming World Champion

He's been tipped to be World Champion for sometime and now he's finally achieved that feat.

It won't be rememered as the greatest tournament in snooker history but for Kyren Wilson I'm sure it will. And the final session tonight gave us the sort of drama that we love in snooker. Even if the comeback always felt a bit beyond Jones, while it was possible it was getting the excitement levels up.

Wilson was the most consistent player throughout the tournament and is thoroughly deserving to be champion. It'll be interesting to see if this opens the floodgates for him and success now because so far in his career he's hardly been a regular winner. One trophy, now two, in the last three seasons proves that. So now he has to become a regular winner to become one of the modern-day greats.

Special mention to Jak Jones. Nobody expected him to achieve what he has so that's great for him. He's also going to start next season in the top 16 so he'll have more expectations on him moving forward both from himself and the fans. If he wants to remain a top 16 player though he'll have to improve his scoring ability and to do that he'll have to improve his cue ball control.

And finally, a little shout out to Paul Collier who is retiring from refereeing. He's been one of the best refs in the last 30 years and getting to ref four World finals proves that. He's been officiating at a time when Jan Verhaas has been around, who is without question the best ref I remember, so to still get four World finals is testament to Collier's ability.

Now that the season is over, we can look forward to next season which starts with the Championship League kicking off on 10th June.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,079 posts | 2112 
      Reply #2075: May 06, 2024 10:15:57 pm
      Great job Kyren! Really happy he's got the World Championship under his belt. Fully deserves it. Fantastic job by Jones to take it this far after the drubbing he got yesterday afternoon.

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,079 posts | 2112 
      Reply #2076: May 06, 2024 10:17:32 pm
      And amazing job by DLS on this thread - keep giving us the snooker updates from far and wide mate. Love your posts. I can honestly say I get most of my snooker results from reading your posts. Love that - what a service. You clearly love the game like no other.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,375 posts | 783 
      Reply #2077: May 06, 2024 10:20:12 pm
      Truth is the match was finished as a contest at 7-0...All sport is about having a gift...a talent, but you also need sound judgement, deciding when to go for a pot and when to play safe. You also need luck, and those players who get to the very highest levels need tons of desire and blind ambition. If they don't get all those things in alignment then they can come unstuck, and over the course of the final Jones was let down too often by his technique (especially cue ball control)....but mostly his judgement was off...shot choice, which was odd because he was playing great safety to get to the final. Great credit to Jak Jones to make a fist of it, a lot of players would have folded at 7-0 down.
      As I said earlier not the most dramatic tournaments....but Well done Kyren Wilson.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 21,112 posts | 3367 
      Reply #2078: May 06, 2024 10:36:47 pm
      And amazing job by DLS on this thread - keep giving us the snooker updates from far and wide mate. Love your posts. I can honestly say I get most of my snooker results from reading your posts. Love that - what a service. You clearly love the game like no other.

Cheers mate, appreciate that.

I do love snooker on the whole, so much that I'm prepared to put up with Ken Doherty for it. It helps having a fair few on here who enjoy the snooker as well. And we can have some really good convos on the sport and it's situtations, like the possibility of moving from the Crucible or the match fixing scandal that covered a lot of last season.

It's mad to think that this thread was started over 15 years ago after me trip to Scotland for that year's Grand Prix.

Quick Reply