Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

We are top of the league!

Read 427727 times
      barney73
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 677 posts | 99 
      Re: We are top of the league!
      Reply #2185: Mar 31, 2019 11:29:18 pm
      I wouldn't be surprised that's its leicester who take points off city. Rodgers be desperate to put one over them and they have quality to hurt city. Vardy Chilwell maddison to name but a few.
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,282 posts | 1396 
      Reply #2186: Mar 31, 2019 11:46:54 pm
      Looks like our next game is Soton away on Friday 5th April with 20.00 pm kick off. Not Saturday 6th at 3.00 PM.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Re: We are top of the league
      Reply #2187: Apr 01, 2019 01:17:56 am
      If we want to be champions we need to start playing like champions. Of the past 12 league games I’d say we’ve had 2 good solid 90 mins - Watford and Bournemouth. It’s well and good winning when you’re not playing well but you can’t be not playing well all the time. Said it after Paris if I never see Gini Hendo and Milner start together again it’ll be too soon and the same still stands
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #2188: Apr 01, 2019 01:58:58 am
      If we want to be champions we need to start playing like champions. Of the past 12 league games I’d say we’ve had 2 good solid 90 mins - Watford and Bournemouth. It’s well and good winning when you’re not playing well but you can’t be not playing well all the time. Said it after Paris if I never see Gini Hendo and Milner start together again it’ll be too soon and the same still stands

I think we are playing like champions. If you want to win the league then you have to be able to grind out these results and if we had managed to do that in prior seasons, maybe the gap we had to make up wouldn't have been so big. Just look at City winning the Premier League for the first time, they done it on goal difference. It's just our rotten luck that the season we are so far ahead in the league, there is one other team there too. Whoever misses out this season has every right to feel hard done by because I doubt there will ever have been a team to accumulate so many points and not win it. When you look at the table and see we are the best part of 20 points ahead of 3rd place, you'd expect to be wrapping the league up within the next game or 2. The standard City set last season was incredible, the standard they have carried on this season has been incredible and the standard we've been at to match that has been unbelievable when you consider how far behind them we were a year ago. We've always had the ability under Klopp to go toe to toe with the best and beat them, but the problem was maintaining that consistency over 38 games and so far we have done just that. It's not often you get two teams playing like champions and to be so far ahead of the rest. Whoever misses out it will be massively gutted because of how close it looks like it's going to be, I just hope to god that it's us that come out on top. I think we've had enough disappointment and near misses.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #2189: Apr 01, 2019 04:31:51 am
      It's F***ing bonkers this squad is pushing THAT City squad like this.

Absolutely bonkers.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,751 posts | 6722 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #2190: Apr 01, 2019 05:55:37 am
      Can't help but feel it really is our year, that OG just reinforces it for me...bring on the next 6 games!
      RedWilly

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Reply #2191: Apr 01, 2019 06:48:42 am
      Can't help but feel it really is our year, that OG just reinforces it for me...bring on the next 6 games!

It does mate. Still buzzing from it and that’s our hardest fixture remaining out the way.

Need to keep our heads now and just keep winning, I can’t see City winning 14 games straight (which they will have done if they win all remaining games).
      Scottbot

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #2192: Apr 01, 2019 09:04:28 am
      My oldest mate in the world is a season ticket holder at City and he thinks we'll win it by 2pts. I hope the fecker is right for a change!

For me I think we need to be able to pass the ball better and be more creative through the midfield. We've won the last 2 games through shear spirit and will to win but the quality has been a bit lacking. It's been a bit frantic when we have been chasing for the winning goal. I'd like to see us play more composed, dominate the ball and probe for openings but to do that I think we have to get either of Keita or Shaqiri involved again. Both players can provide that little bit of spark in congested areas against teams that are sitting deep but clearly both are out of favour and have lost form. We will need one or both of them to contribute (along with Lallana) if we are to create the chances we need to win some silverware this season.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #2193: Apr 01, 2019 10:22:38 am
      My oldest mate in the world is a season ticket holder at City and he thinks we'll win it by 2pts. I hope the fecker is right for a change!

For me I think we need to be able to pass the ball better and be more creative through the midfield. We've won the last 2 games through shear spirit and will to win but the quality has been a bit lacking. It's been a bit frantic when we have been chasing for the winning goal. I'd like to see us play more composed, dominate the ball and probe for openings but to do that I think we have to get either of Keita or Shaqiri involved again. Both players can provide that little bit of spark in congested areas against teams that are sitting deep but clearly both are out of favour and have lost form. We will need one or both of them to contribute (along with Lallana) if we are to create the chances we need to win some silverware this season.

I agree with your mate and also with your point. We have to take some of these defensive shackles off and stop playing with so much fear and nerves. We need to get the swagger and ruthlessness back from earlier in the season, and that means playing with more adventurous and creative midfielders than Henderson and Milner.
      Milner in particular just seems to be getting slower and slower these days and Gini, for whatever reason, probably covering, always seems so passive alongside Hendo and Jimmy. Please Jürgen snap out of this obsession with this midfield combo.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #2194: Apr 01, 2019 10:54:32 am
      Quote from barney73
      I don't like warnocks attitude on motd tonight saying he play his under23 team v city during the week with relegation six pointer v burnley sat. Not that a full strength Cardiff team.

If w**ker does that, they deserve to be relegated.

Quote from Alfie2510

We will see it again. It's the default midfield.

Nobody will care about not playing well in 6 weeks time if it's enough. They'll just look at that league table, and see Liverpool #1.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #2195: Apr 01, 2019 11:10:12 am
      96 points please.
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #2196: Apr 01, 2019 12:21:10 pm
      Can't get 96 now mate; we're on 79 with 18 points up for grabs, so 97 if we win them all, 95 if we draw 1.
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #2197: Apr 01, 2019 12:28:21 pm
      That's the first of our 3 "tricky" games spell out of the way.  I feel the next 2 games are the crunch for us, away to Soton then home to Chelsea on the 14th.  Our remaining 4 fixtures are all very winnable (whilst no match is easy at this stage of a season!).

City begin their "tricky" spell of 4 games as we end ours, on the 14th away to Palace.  They follow that up with: -

Spurs (h)
      Utd (a)
      Burnley (a)

with the 2 CL matches with Spurs thrown in for good measure.

I believe if we can get through our "tricky" spell unscathed (2 wins), we'll win it!

COYR - If we win this league it will be an incredible achievement and I would happily die without seeing us ever win another match!!!
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #2198: Apr 01, 2019 12:30:45 pm
      If W**ker does that, they deserve to be relegated.

We will see it again. It's the default midfield.

Nobody will care about not playing well in 6 weeks time if it's enough. They'll just look at that league table, and see Liverpool #1.
      Fab in for Hendo or Milly and we look a lot more comfortable for my money.  Fab should be first midfielder on the team sheet by now. 
      Hasty Lover
      • Forum Gary McAllister

• 92 posts |
      Reply #2199: Apr 01, 2019 12:35:47 pm
      We desperately mo to find his scoring boots, going to be tough in the run in without your best player firing. On the flip side if he can come in a vein of goal scoring form now we'll do it
      barney73
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 677 posts | 99 
      Reply #2200: Apr 01, 2019 03:20:11 pm
      Who knows what he rest of this season throw up. I still think we need maximum points to do it no slip ups. I couldn't see city slipping up twice. All games at this stage of season are difficult even our last two away to Newcastle and wolves at anfield. Saints away will be difficult and Chelsea too. Hope Mo finds his midas scoring touch soon. Not great performances lately but great fighting spirit which is equally important.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,649 posts | 3918 
      Reply #2201: Apr 01, 2019 03:24:10 pm
      barney73
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 677 posts | 99 
      Reply #2202: Apr 01, 2019 03:35:28 pm
      Our next game away to Southampton under the lights on a Friday night will be very tricky. Saints have no love for us and a Friday night atmosphere will be rocking with big virg and maybe lallana playing against them. If we play to or near our best we win though. I think if Mo can get one just he go on a run of goals then. Hopefully Friday night will be that night.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #2203: Apr 01, 2019 04:23:41 pm
      Fab in for Hendo or Milly and we look a lot more comfortable for my money.  Fab should be first midfielder on the team sheet by now. 

certainly instead of Milner who's age looks to finally be catching up with him, mind you its been a long season and he's played a lot of games.
      I really want to see Fabinho, Gini and Lallana/Keita/Shaq as the preferred midfield from now on. Please no more passive crap with Hendo, Milner and Gini, especially against teams with dynamic midfields like Spurs. I have no idea how many more times Klopp needs to see our midfield overrun before he understands this!
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #2204: Apr 01, 2019 04:24:55 pm
      We desperately mo to find his scoring boots, going to be tough in the run in without your best player firing. On the flip side if he can come in a vein of goal scoring form now we'll do it

I'm hoping that last gasp winner might in his mind count as a goal, it certainly should. He just needs to chill out and the goals will come, he's trying a bit to hard and chosing to shoot rather than pass.
      ruthcity

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #2205: Apr 02, 2019 05:02:26 pm
      We need to get the swagger and ruthlessness back from earlier in the season, and that means playing with more adventurous and creative midfielders than Henderson and Milner.

For me I think we need to be able to pass the ball better and be more creative through the midfield.

At this stage, I guess we can keep on playing sh*te and ride our luck out.

It really feels like extra time in Istanbul. Someone up there wants us to win.

All that going out to destroy everybody 5-0 feels irrelevant now. We haven’t, in the last few matches. But we keep fighting to get those three points. We keep creating our own luck by not giving up.

If it ain’t broken don’t fix it. Forget about running faster, further, jumping higher, passing better, becoming fitter, etc. It doesn’t matter, just keep scraping those 1 goal margin wins. City drops points and we’re home. No problem playing sh*te. Just keep pressing and and creating our own luck. The results will come.

Think about it. Our sh*te play these days is still of a very high standard. We managed to win games. So it’s not easy to argue against that.
      CT_LFC

• 6,809 posts | 1402 
      Reply #2206: Apr 02, 2019 09:34:32 pm
      At this stage, I guess we can keep on playing sh*te and ride our luck out.

It really feels like extra time in Istanbul. Someone up there wants us to win.

All that going out to destroy everybody 5-0 feels irrelevant now. We haven’t, in the last few matches. But we keep fighting to get those three points. We keep creating our own luck by not giving up.

If it ain’t broken don’t fix it. Forget about running faster, further, jumping higher, passing better, becoming fitter, etc. It doesn’t matter, just keep scraping those 1 goal margin wins. City drops points and we’re home. No problem playing sh*te. Just keep pressing and and creating our own luck. The results will come.

I remember not too long ago people would go crazy that we played too open and we were unable to defend or hold a lead, and now that we are very sound defensively people will complain that we need to open up more like last year.

We are on pace to finish somewhere in the high 90s for points, probably the best season in a long time if not ever for the club and while some may disagree with some of the personnel decisions game to game, it cannot be doubted that Klopp's more methodical way of playing this year has given us the best results, even if "heavy metal football" is sexier to the eyes. It's not about style, it is about results and so far we have done that better this year than at any other point.

You often hear or read, whether it be forums or media, that we still haven't been at our best, but i think based on where we stand after 32 games into the season that THIS is our best, just that it looks different than it used to.

Not to forget lady luck, who has been a sweetheart to us this year after being a flat out bi*ch in years past.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,515 posts | 1507 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #2207: Apr 02, 2019 10:10:09 pm
      LFC
      Southampton v Liverpool (W)
      Liverpool v Chelsea (W)
      Cardiff City v Liverpool (W)
      Liverpool v Huddersfield W)
      Newcastle Utd v Liverpool (W)