Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

We are top of the league!

Read 427758 times
      barney73
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 677 posts | 99 
      Re: We are top of the league!
      Reply #2231: Apr 03, 2019 09:00:50 pm
      Well you hardly expected Cardiff to get anything against city ut at least teams can see when Swansea attacked them they put them under pressure but teams seem to want to put out reserve sides against them and not attack but just sit back and invite pressure. Hope the rest of there oppo ents will at least put up a fight
      verde-rubro
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,002 posts | 223 
      Reply #2232: Apr 03, 2019 09:10:03 pm
      soon as the 2nd went in i changed channels
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,810 posts | 1402 
      Reply #2233: Apr 03, 2019 09:13:58 pm
      That's because everyone has tipped City to be this season's champions before they even won the league last year, and are gifting them points just to prove that they were right.

I don't have to tell you how many pundits are tipping city to win the league. That gives you some perspective.

I don't get why this is an issue, and why cynically and sarcastically people here have said "the best team ever in the PL".

Hate them all you want, and i do passionately, but no team has ever had 100 points in a season until they did last season and they should be considered the best PL team ever. To me, it's harder to win 32 games than 26 when Arsenal went undefeated.

As for this year, they hold the hammer right now and we could win all our games and still finish 2nd, so why shouldn't they be considered favorites to win it?
      CT_LFC

• 6,810 posts | 1402 
      Reply #2234: Apr 03, 2019 09:19:24 pm
      Oh p*ss off, can't even hold out until HT at 1-0... >:( I can't help but think all their opponents are gonna just fold and be beaten before they take the pitch... :(

I do expect that as the season winds down, some teams who have nothing left to play for (safe from relegation, too far from top 6) could just mail it in and start thinking about beaches and flip flops.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,383 posts | 2823 
      Reply #2235: Apr 03, 2019 09:42:37 pm
      Wasn't expecting anything tonight. Ramps up after this though. If they come out of the rest of April without dropping a point then you've got to say fair play, they deserve to win it.

I still think if we win the next two we'll find a way to get over the line.
      « Last Edit: Apr 03, 2019 10:07:20 pm by chats »
      barney73
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 677 posts | 99 
      Reply #2236: Apr 03, 2019 10:06:35 pm
      If you look at tonight's results it's been positive cos city hard pulled up any trees scoring two at home against Cardiff who are useless. Spurs will have got a huge confidence boost at winning tonight for a change that they go into city games with a lot more confidence. Chelsea arsenal winning means united are going to have to go and win all there games to be guaranteed top 4 so positive night for me as long as we beat saints so this dosent all be irrelevant. Come on you reds!!!
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,751 posts | 6722 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #2237: Apr 03, 2019 10:56:08 pm
      Didn't expect any different outcome from tonight, maybe that they would score a sh*t load more goals would have been my expectation. It's from here on in that I expect them to drop a number of points.

tomx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,291 posts | 237 
      Reply #2238: Apr 04, 2019 08:16:39 am
      I just cant see City dropping any points. Hope i'm wrong.
      LMW
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 364 posts | 112 
      Reply #2239: Apr 04, 2019 10:20:27 am
      Providing we beat Southampton...

Imagine this...

We're 2 points ahead of them next Sunday...

They play Palace away and can only get a draw...

We beat Chelsea and go 4 clear (they still have a game in hand though)...

But then their next games are against Spurs and United!
      Scottbot

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #2240: Apr 04, 2019 11:12:29 am

Still a long way to go. The lads just have to keep winning and hope City come unstuck in and around the Champions League fixtures.

If we win all of our remaining games and still finish 2nd then you have to hand it to them, we will have lost out to the better side and they will deserve it.

If we win all our remaining games I think we'll be champions but that will difficult to do given our own Champions League commitments and the fact we are not playing the prettiest of football right now.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #2241: Apr 04, 2019 04:20:48 pm
      City have 4 away games and two at home after Friday we will have 3 home and 2 away. All to play for
      barney73
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 677 posts | 99 
      Reply #2242: Apr 04, 2019 04:23:16 pm
      Just reading there 260 million spent by premier league on agents fees alone last year with lpool spending alone near 44 million. Crazy these fees signing on fees and wages of today. Surely there going to have to be a wage limit soon put on. Anyway back to tomorrow I think we will win 2-1. Salah to score but I think it be anything but easy. Can't afford anything but 3 points. Anyway anyhow.
      barney73
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 677 posts | 99 
      Reply #2243: Apr 04, 2019 04:25:51 pm
      Providing we beat Southampton...

Imagine this...

We're 2 points ahead of them next Sunday...

They play Palace away and can only get a draw...

We beat Chelsea and go 4 clear (they still have a game in hand though)...

But then their next games are against Spurs and United!
      But its all if what's and maybes. Think of tomorrow night and nothing else. Don't win tomorrow it not matter what happens after I don't think
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #2244: Apr 04, 2019 04:34:58 pm
      But its all if what's and maybes. Think of tomorrow night and nothing else. Don't win tomorrow it not matter what happens after I don't think

Unfortunately I agree, if we drop any more points this season then we wont win the league IMO, I wouldn't fancy our chances of winning it on GD either if it came down to it. We must win every game remaining and we can't be thinking otherwise. One game at a time is all we can do, and hope for the best that City slip up somewhere, they can win 5 of the next 6 for all I care just so long as we win 6/6 and they slip up in at least 1 game.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,158 posts | 1287 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #2245: Apr 04, 2019 06:02:34 pm
      The only possible slip ups i see for City are Spurs and United. Maybe Burnley could throw up an upset as well.

All i know is that if we slip up just once we are out of this race. My gut tells me we have this. I think our resolve is stronger than that of City.

I think we can better their goal difference too.

LMW
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 364 posts | 112 
      Reply #2246: Apr 04, 2019 06:26:20 pm
      The only possible slip ups i see for City are Spurs and United. Maybe Burnley could throw up an upset as well.

All i know is that if we slip up just once we are out of this race. My gut tells me we have this. I think our resolve is stronger than that of City.

I think we can better their goal difference too.

You’d think it’s likely to be the bigger teams but the fact is that 3 of their 4 losses came against Palace, Leicester and Newcastle - so statistically speaking there’s more chance of them dropping points against Palace or Leicester again out of all of their remaining opponents.
      jimbo1962
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 877 posts | 102 
      Reply #2247: Apr 04, 2019 08:17:03 pm
      Intereresting that two ex 'Pool managers lie in the path of City. I think a little pow wow would be in order
      ruthcity

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #2248: Apr 04, 2019 09:40:52 pm

Why? Because they’re the best team in the league?

Two things here:
      1) are you dead sure?
      2) will you ask everyone of your family members to put £1,000 each on City winning the league today, and if they don’t you’ll pay them back £1,000 each?
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #2249: Apr 05, 2019 03:49:40 pm
      Quote from 7-King Kenny-7
      Unfortunately I agree, if we drop any more points this season then we wont win the league IMO, I wouldn't fancy our chances of winning it on GD either if it came down to it. We must win every game remaining and we can't be thinking otherwise. One game at a time is all we can do, and hope for the best that City slip up somewhere, they can win 5 of the next 6 for all I care just so long as we win 6/6 and they slip up in at least 1 game.

Doubters-Believers

We don't know how many games we need to win atm. It may be all of them, it could be some of them. The run in throws all sorts of curveballs you don't expect.

This time last year, City only had to win their derby at home to win the league. 2-0 up at half time and they still couldn't do it. Their rivals only had to get a draw against West Brom at home to keep the title race going. They couldn't do it. That's the run in.

This season, we won the first 6 games. We may have to win the last 6 games. But saying that we have to win all of them is unfair and just puts extra pressure on top of what is already there. We're not 15 points behind, we're not even 5 points behind. We have 6 games to make up 1 point, and we can have a decent shot at the goal difference gap also. It's the run in, anything can happen at short notice.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #2250: Apr 05, 2019 04:15:19 pm

This season, we won the first 6 games. We may have to win the last 6 games. But saying that we have to win all of them is unfair and just puts extra pressure on top of what is already there. We're not 15 points behind, we're not even 5 points behind. We have 6 games to make up 1 point, and we can have a decent shot at the goal difference gap also. It's the run in, anything can happen at short notice.

Okay, and now read my post without taking it out of context;

We must win every game remaining and we can't be thinking otherwise.

"We cant be thinking otherwise". Which we can't, as things currently stand we have to win all 6 games and hope that City slip up somewhere. It's not being unfair, it's how it is.

Mane Said it himself;

"To be honest, I think we need to win all of the games, even if it will not be easy," the 26-year-old said. "But we still can win every game because we are a good team and we play very well."

So do you think Mane is being unfair and putting extra pressure on the team?

The extra pressure is already there, the pressure is only going to increase game by game whether you want to acknowledge that or not and the players are fully aware too.

City have failed to win 1 game in the last 12 or whatever, they are in all likelihood going to hit 90 points again this season, a team that amasses just short of 200 points in 2 seasons is going to ramp the pressure up on the closest challenger and push them into needing to win all 6 games.

If you don't want extra pressure, go and support a team that has nothing to play for because this is part and parcel of winning things.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #2251: Apr 05, 2019 06:57:56 pm
      As things currently stand, 6 wins is not enough. We still need a break from elsewhere, and we can't influence that.  What we need is to have more points than City come 5pm on May 12. Whether that comes from 6 more wins or 5 or less, doesn't matter. We add up the points won at the end of the season, and see if it's enough or not.

I accept what Mane says, but Matip said something else during the week. Saying at this stage, that we must win every game is putting extra pressure on the players, and fuelling the knee jerk replies after every game we don't win. Take one look back at the Arsenal match thread months ago, and the rash judgements posted after "only" getting a point that put us top of the league. How stupid does that look now?

If we don't win tonight, it will be a significant result, but there's 11 more games to play between us and City in the title race. That is a lot of football left for everything still to be decided.

One more win and a Top 4 spot is officially secured, which is what Jürgen was put in charge for, and it's great to not have to worry about it during the remainder of the run in.
      CT_LFC

• 6,810 posts | 1402 
      Reply #2252: Apr 05, 2019 07:58:44 pm
      If we don't win tonight, it will be a significant result, but there's 11 more games to play between us and City in the title race. That is a lot of football left for everything still to be decided.

One more win and a Top 4 spot is officially secured, which is what Jürgen was put in charge for, and it's great to not have to worry about it during the remainder of the run in.

JFC, seen you spew this garbage a few times. Stop with the stupidity.
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,658 posts | 487 
      Reply #2253: Apr 05, 2019 09:59:58 pm
      Welcome back 1st place. I hope it stays now till the end of the season.

Quick Reply